Another AT&T Rip-off

Contributor

Another AT&T Rip-off

[ Edited ]

I am a physician in practice 30 years and an AT&T Small Business customer for the past (3)  years so what I am about to tell you is, I promise accurate.  When I upgraded my iPhone in April, 2011, the store representative apparently put a data plan without my knowledge on an unused line that is part of my plan, and AT&T has been charging me for the data plan on that line without my knowledge since then (even though I didn't approve that, and there was no phone using the line until 8 months later in Dec).  The reason I found out was because I finally used that line for a cell phone for my son (a Christmas present) and the store rep said, "Oh--they (AT&T) have been charging you for a data plan since you upgraded--I guess we didn't take it off like we should have. I can't do anything about it--you'll have to call customer service."  I just got off the phone with customer "service"--the rep would not give me his name and refusedI to give me his supervisors number, was rude and kept telling me that there was no 'reason' I should be able to talk to a supervisor.  His offer was to refund a maximum of (3) out of the (8) months I paid the plan, even though AT&T made the mistake and never took the data plan off the line that wasn't being used.  I had a similar problem (actually much worse) with web charges on my daughter's phone a year or two ago, and AT&T made it extremely difficult and painful to get any kind of resolution on the problem (I never got a full refund, but I did get something back, and I'm still out about $1,000).  The rep this time would give me no alternative numbers or people to call--he just kept telling me the same thing--'stonewalling' the issue.  It is just unbelievable that a company the size and responsibility of AT&T's could ever treat customers this way.  Their practices are designed to make it practically impossible for a customer to be recompensed for a billing mistake they make, to say nothing of doing the right thing for the customer.  If you are reading this, and you are a customer, I would never use them again and only reason I have is because I have existing equipment and a service plan with (5) phones.  I'm not new to technology, either, so I know what other carriers do and don't do. Most ethical companies will at lest try to do the right thing, even if the customer made a mistake.  Looks like AT&T is taking a 180 degree opposite philosophy, intentionally designing it's policies to bilk customers for as much as they can get away with no matter what is ethical, legal or right. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].  You would hope they had better business sense than that. KEB, MD.

For the record, I spoke to the 'anonymous' billing rep about 20 min ago, right before writing this at 2pm EST Feb. 6, 2012.  I'm sure the reps name is on my account record.  Interesting that AT&T doesn't allow it's customers to know the names of their service reps, so I guess that's another 'hurdle' they put in your way to dominate their customers.  I know that people have to follow policies of the companies they work for, but it would have been great if the guy had just said "sir, I am forbidden to transfer you to a supervisor because that's policy--he's not going to do anything different that I will."  If anyone had spoken to a patient  in my office the way that man spoke to me, I would have fired them on the spot.  At least treat your customers with a little respect--tell them the truth.  Just unbelievable.  K

Message 1 of 3 (268 Views)
Employee

Re: Another AT&T Rip-off

3 months is the policy, you have to take into consideration it is your responsibility to check your bill to ensure its accurate
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 3 (209 Views)
Highlighted
Former Community Manager

Re: Another AT&T Rip-off

I'm sorry to hear that you're having billing concerns. We would definitely like to help get this resolved for you. 

The representative you spoke with should have provided you with his/her first name without issue, though we do not provide last names over the phone. 

As you are a business customer, I would like to ensure that you speak with the appropriate folks. Will you please send me a private message with your name, business name, account number, a good number to reach you and the best time to call? I will get you in touch with our Business Support team for assistance. 

Also, here is the link to our business forums which are more tailored to your small business needs: http://bizcommunity.att.com/ 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3 (182 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.