Android Tablets

Master

Android Tablets

Does anyone own/played around with an Android powered tablet, yet? I think they're actually pretty cool. Today I went to Staples and noticed the Motorola Xoom and Dell Streak 7 tablets on display.

I went with trying out the Streak 7 because it was the closest to me. Smiley Tongue You know, that thing is actually pretty cool! A good size and pretty easy to work. I didn't know it had a camera, so that was kind of cool. And it's pretty much just like my phone, so there's more Android at it's finest!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 1 of 151 (4,813 Views)
Master

Re: Android Tablets

I agree. I've had good experiences with Samsungs in the past, too. That could contribute to the reason why I currently have one. Smiley Tongue I wouldn't mind a Galaxy Tab to go along with my Galaxy S. It would sort of be just like a larger version of my phone, only without the calling capability.

I don't know if I would hold this up to my ear to talk into as a phone, as it is a rather large tablet...but I think speakerphone would work just as good. Smiley Wink

Message 91 of 151 (612 Views)
Professor

Yep I think thats what goes thru the thought of many initially. Ive always used blootooth or speaker anyway and would expect that method if large tabs had calling capabilities.... I can see myself otherwise holding a slab next to my face. Smiley Very Happy
Message 92 of 151 (610 Views)
Master

That would look just plain odd! They're relatively heavy for a "cell phone", too, with most weighing in at more than one pound.

I wonder how silly one would look if they did that. I tried to look for a picture on Google images for a person holding a tablet up to their ear as a cell phone, but couldn't find any. I guess the thought never crossed people's minds. Smiley Tongue

Message 93 of 151 (608 Views)
Professor

Thats why the Dell Streak was the perfect tablet/phone. It has the features of both. Coupled with a very crisp screen larger than any cellphone but smaller that the 10inch tab made it very comfortab le to hold, or even call direct from the phone to the ear. Web browsing, you prob can telll is just like using a mini laptop. All those pics u see me post are simultaneously done while responding to a post and browzing for a pic and downloading at same time. Nice and smooth....

GAWWD I LUV MY DELL STREAK... Aint ashamed to say id love Mikey Dell too , if he bring "Streakn" Back! (wait,...didnt justin timberlake sing that song?....)
Message 94 of 151 (605 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
What a convenient set-up!

And yes, he did sing that song - "Se-xy Back", it's called. Smiley Wink

Message 95 of 151 (600 Views)
Professor

Lol, now what id like to know are differences between your galaxy and the curr galaxy released tab? What would intice you to the other?
Message 96 of 151 (595 Views)
Master

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 only has an internal memory space. It doesn't have a microSD slot for expandable memory.

That was the specification that killed the possibility of purchasing one for me.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 97 of 151 (595 Views)
Professor

Im with you on that.. I got to have the ability to add mem. I got nothing against iphone but when I saw how you couldnt even open it, I knew not to go near it. Same with android tabs, if it doesnt have at least the ability to expand mem...its a nogo
Message 98 of 151 (592 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:
Lol, now what id like to know are differences between your galaxy and the curr galaxy released tab? What would intice you to the other?
My phones is a Samsung Captivate - part of Samsung's 'Galaxy S' line. The words 'Galaxy S' itself is branded on the back of my phone. The Galaxy Tab is a bit different, because my phone is not a tablet. I suppose Samsung likes the name 'Galaxy', so they took it to their tablet division as well.

I'm not completely sure, but the Galaxy Tab may have Android 2.3 on it while my phone is running 2.2. I think it's a custom install from the previous owner, and I have seen the differences between 2.2 and the stock 2.1 with another friend's Captivate. Unless I had the chance to experiment and note the differences between my and my friend's phone, I am currently liking Android 2.2 better on my phone.

The Galaxy Tab would be the perfect follow-up to my Galaxy S. Although they would go great hand-in-hand, the HTC Flyer tablet has gotten my attention the most. Smiley Happy

Message 99 of 151 (588 Views)
Professor

Sounds like you have the perfect roadmap you would like to go tabletwise. Me, as far as my next android, it was going to be the "Opus" which was or "is" the next generation Streak tablet/phone. Chances are it will get released oversea and U.S. gets skipped.

I wont he surprized if other manufacturers begin releasing t he android tab/phone combo witha decent size screen.
Message 100 of 151 (586 Views)
Master

You're right. With your phone being somewhat half-phone half-tablet, those other phones, especially by HTC and Samsung, are getting mighty close to 5" displays with many on their phones ranging from 4.3" all the way up to 4.5".

It must be nice to have a hybrid. Smiley Wink

Message 101 of 151 (583 Views)
Professor

Re: Android Tablets Viewsonic 7 Tablet phone (Could be Streak Killer)

[ Edited ]

LOL, i didnt think of it like that WB but cool!  a hybrid, the PRIUS of wireless! 

The thing about the View Sonic is it has a 7" screen with both phone and tablet capabilities ! 2" more than the streak

Message 102 of 151 (584 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Wow. As nice as it is, I would not rely on it to replace my phone...it's just too big to use as an everyday cell phone. Smiley Indifferent

Web browsing, however, is a different story. It's still a creative idea - phone and tablet merging.

Message 103 of 151 (575 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Definitely bluetooth or speaker for these types of devices. The streak is excellent for conference calls and when im walking around the streak is in a case while I am answeing calls via bluetooth. The same id with this. It would rest on my desk for conference speaker calls or stored in my briefcs while im using blootooth for calls, etc.. No, I dont intend to hold it like a conventional device. Doesnt cross my mind to do that....Smiley Very Happy

Message 104 of 151 (572 Views)
Master

That would be much more enticing, then. I can't even imagine how silly a person would look holding up a 7" tab-phone up to their ear... It would probably get dropped easily in that way. Smiley Tongue

Message 105 of 151 (569 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.