Posted May 15, 2011
4:59:11 PM
View profile
Android Tablets
Does anyone own/played around with an Android powered tablet, yet? I think they're actually pretty cool. Today I went to Staples and noticed the Motorola Xoom and Dell Streak 7 tablets on display.

I went with trying out the Streak 7 because it was the closest to me. :smileytongue: You know, that thing is actually pretty cool! A good size and pretty easy to work. I didn't know it had a camera, so that was kind of cool. And it's pretty much just like my phone, so there's more Android at it's finest!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
150 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(150)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 12:22:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I agree. I've had good experiences with Samsungs in the past, too. That could contribute to the reason why I currently have one. :smileytongue: I wouldn't mind a Galaxy Tab to go along with my Galaxy S. It would sort of be just like a larger version of my phone, only without the calling capability.

I don't know if I would hold this up to my ear to talk into as a phone, as it is a rather large tablet...but I think speakerphone would work just as good. :smileywink:

I agree. I've had good experiences with Samsungs in the past, too. That could contribute to the reason why I currently have one. :smileytongue: I wouldn't mind a Galaxy Tab to go along with my Galaxy S. It would sort of be just like a larger version of my phone, only without the calling capability.

I don't know if I would hold this up to my ear to talk into as a phone, as it is a rather large tablet...but I think speakerphone would work just as good. :smileywink:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Android Tablets

91 of 151 (457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 12:35:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Yep I think thats what goes thru the thought of many initially. Ive always used blootooth or speaker anyway and would expect that method if large tabs had calling capabilities.... I can see myself otherwise holding a slab next to my face. :smileyvery-happy:
Yep I think thats what goes thru the thought of many initially. Ive always used blootooth or speaker anyway and would expect that method if large tabs had calling capabilities.... I can see myself otherwise holding a slab next to my face. :smileyvery-happy:
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

92 of 151 (455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 12:58:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
That would look just plain odd! They're relatively heavy for a "cell phone", too, with most weighing in at more than one pound.

I wonder how silly one would look if they did that. I tried to look for a picture on Google images for a person holding a tablet up to their ear as a cell phone, but couldn't find any. I guess the thought never crossed people's minds. :smileytongue:

That would look just plain odd! They're relatively heavy for a "cell phone", too, with most weighing in at more than one pound.

I wonder how silly one would look if they did that. I tried to look for a picture on Google images for a person holding a tablet up to their ear as a cell phone, but couldn't find any. I guess the thought never crossed people's minds. :smileytongue:

93 of 151 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 1:18:49 PM
(0)
Professor
Thats why the Dell Streak was the perfect tablet/phone. It has the features of both. Coupled with a very crisp screen larger than any cellphone but smaller that the 10inch tab made it very comfortab le to hold, or even call direct from the phone to the ear. Web browsing, you prob can telll is just like using a mini laptop. All those pics u see me post are simultaneously done while responding to a post and browzing for a pic and downloading at same time. Nice and smooth....

GAWWD I LUV MY DELL STREAK... Aint ashamed to say id love Mikey Dell too , if he bring "Streakn" Back! (wait,...didnt justin timberlake sing that song?....)
Thats why the Dell Streak was the perfect tablet/phone. It has the features of both. Coupled with a very crisp screen larger than any cellphone but smaller that the 10inch tab made it very comfortab le to hold, or even call direct from the phone to the ear. Web browsing, you prob can telll is just like using a mini laptop. All those pics u see me post are simultaneously done while responding to a post and browzing for a pic and downloading at same time. Nice and smooth....

GAWWD I LUV MY DELL STREAK... Aint ashamed to say id love Mikey Dell too , if he bring "Streakn" Back! (wait,...didnt justin timberlake sing that song?....)

94 of 151 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 1:32:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:33:28 PM
What a convenient set-up!

And yes, he did sing that song - "Se-xy Back", it's called. :smileywink:

What a convenient set-up!

And yes, he did sing that song - "Se-xy Back", it's called. :smileywink:

[ Edited ]
95 of 151 (445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 1:55:08 PM
(0)
Professor
Lol, now what id like to know are differences between your galaxy and the curr galaxy released tab? What would intice you to the other?
Lol, now what id like to know are differences between your galaxy and the curr galaxy released tab? What would intice you to the other?

96 of 151 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 1:58:41 PM
(0)
Professor
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 only has an internal memory space. It doesn't have a microSD slot for expandable memory.

That was the specification that killed the possibility of purchasing one for me.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 only has an internal memory space. It doesn't have a microSD slot for expandable memory.

That was the specification that killed the possibility of purchasing one for me.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

97 of 151 (440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 2:09:30 PM
(0)
Professor
Im with you on that.. I got to have the ability to add mem. I got nothing against iphone but when I saw how you couldnt even open it, I knew not to go near it. Same with android tabs, if it doesnt have at least the ability to expand mem...its a nogo
Im with you on that.. I got to have the ability to add mem. I got nothing against iphone but when I saw how you couldnt even open it, I knew not to go near it. Same with android tabs, if it doesnt have at least the ability to expand mem...its a nogo

98 of 151 (437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 7:42:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RicoLX wrote:
My phones is a Samsung Captivate - part of Samsung's 'Galaxy S' line. The words 'Galaxy S' itself is branded on the back of my phone. The Galaxy Tab is a bit different, because my phone is not a tablet. I suppose Samsung likes the name 'Galaxy', so they took it to their tablet division as well.

I'm not completely sure, but the Galaxy Tab may have Android 2.3 on it while my phone is running 2.2. I think it's a custom install from the previous owner, and I have seen the differences between 2.2 and the stock 2.1 with another friend's Captivate. Unless I had the chance to experiment and note the differences between my and my friend's phone, I am currently liking Android 2.2 better on my phone.

The Galaxy Tab would be the perfect follow-up to my Galaxy S. Although they would go great hand-in-hand, the HTC Flyer tablet has gotten my attention the most. :smileyhappy:

RicoLX wrote:
My phones is a Samsung Captivate - part of Samsung's 'Galaxy S' line. The words 'Galaxy S' itself is branded on the back of my phone. The Galaxy Tab is a bit different, because my phone is not a tablet. I suppose Samsung likes the name 'Galaxy', so they took it to their tablet division as well.

I'm not completely sure, but the Galaxy Tab may have Android 2.3 on it while my phone is running 2.2. I think it's a custom install from the previous owner, and I have seen the differences between 2.2 and the stock 2.1 with another friend's Captivate. Unless I had the chance to experiment and note the differences between my and my friend's phone, I am currently liking Android 2.2 better on my phone.

The Galaxy Tab would be the perfect follow-up to my Galaxy S. Although they would go great hand-in-hand, the HTC Flyer tablet has gotten my attention the most. :smileyhappy:

99 of 151 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 7:48:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Sounds like you have the perfect roadmap you would like to go tabletwise. Me, as far as my next android, it was going to be the "Opus" which was or "is" the next generation Streak tablet/phone. Chances are it will get released oversea and U.S. gets skipped.

I wont he surprized if other manufacturers begin releasing t he android tab/phone combo witha decent size screen.
Sounds like you have the perfect roadmap you would like to go tabletwise. Me, as far as my next android, it was going to be the "Opus" which was or "is" the next generation Streak tablet/phone. Chances are it will get released oversea and U.S. gets skipped.

I wont he surprized if other manufacturers begin releasing t he android tab/phone combo witha decent size screen.

100 of 151 (431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2011 8:32:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're right. With your phone being somewhat half-phone half-tablet, those other phones, especially by HTC and Samsung, are getting mighty close to 5" displays with many on their phones ranging from 4.3" all the way up to 4.5".

It must be nice to have a hybrid. :smileywink:

You're right. With your phone being somewhat half-phone half-tablet, those other phones, especially by HTC and Samsung, are getting mighty close to 5" displays with many on their phones ranging from 4.3" all the way up to 4.5".

It must be nice to have a hybrid. :smileywink:

101 of 151 (428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 4:19:14 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:24:55 AM

LOL, i didnt think of it like that WB but cool!  a hybrid, the PRIUS of wireless! 

The thing about the View Sonic is it has a 7" screen with both phone and tablet capabilities ! 2" more than the streak

viewsonic7.jpg

LOL, i didnt think of it like that WB but cool!  a hybrid, the PRIUS of wireless! 

The thing about the View Sonic is it has a 7" screen with both phone and tablet capabilities ! 2" more than the streak

viewsonic7.jpg

Re: Android Tablets Viewsonic 7 Tablet phone (Could be Streak Killer)

[ Edited ]
102 of 151 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 8:28:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Wow. As nice as it is, I would not rely on it to replace my phone...it's just too big to use as an everyday cell phone. :smileyindifferent:

Web browsing, however, is a different story. It's still a creative idea - phone and tablet merging.

Wow. As nice as it is, I would not rely on it to replace my phone...it's just too big to use as an everyday cell phone. :smileyindifferent:

Web browsing, however, is a different story. It's still a creative idea - phone and tablet merging.

103 of 151 (420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 8:43:43 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 1, 2011 at 8:45:47 AM

Definitely bluetooth or speaker for these types of devices. The streak is excellent for conference calls and when im walking around the streak is in a case while I am answeing calls via bluetooth. The same id with this. It would rest on my desk for conference speaker calls or stored in my briefcs while im using blootooth for calls, etc.. No, I dont intend to hold it like a conventional device. Doesnt cross my mind to do that....:smileyvery-happy:

Definitely bluetooth or speaker for these types of devices. The streak is excellent for conference calls and when im walking around the streak is in a case while I am answeing calls via bluetooth. The same id with this. It would rest on my desk for conference speaker calls or stored in my briefcs while im using blootooth for calls, etc.. No, I dont intend to hold it like a conventional device. Doesnt cross my mind to do that....:smileyvery-happy:

[ Edited ]
104 of 151 (417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 8:52:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
That would be much more enticing, then. I can't even imagine how silly a person would look holding up a 7" tab-phone up to their ear... It would probably get dropped easily in that way. :smileytongue:

That would be much more enticing, then. I can't even imagine how silly a person would look holding up a 7" tab-phone up to their ear... It would probably get dropped easily in that way. :smileytongue:

105 of 151 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 9:11:04 AM
(0)
Professor
Im with you on that thought. I dont think anyone, for that matter, would consider holding it to t he face as a norm. Im sure they anticipate using bluetooth. Same as if todays 10 tabs had phone capability, right? :smileyhappy:
Im with you on that thought. I dont think anyone, for that matter, would consider holding it to t he face as a norm. Im sure they anticipate using bluetooth. Same as if todays 10 tabs had phone capability, right? :smileyhappy:

106 of 151 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 10:32:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
That's right!

That's right!

107 of 151 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 11:03:27 AM
(0)
Professor

108 of 151 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 11:19:09 AM
(0)
Professor
C'mown now, Anndroid154! Ya spoiling me over here! With all these "TABLET CANDY" options, I am not going to know what to chose. NOW I think the bug done bit me! It most definitely will be one of the devices weve shared info today :smileywink: (....well all but that $1,000 at&tainted chap, thats a nice piece but outrageously overpriced :smileyvery-happy: )
C'mown now, Anndroid154! Ya spoiling me over here! With all these "TABLET CANDY" options, I am not going to know what to chose. NOW I think the bug done bit me! It most definitely will be one of the devices weve shared info today :smileywink: (....well all but that $1,000 at&tainted chap, thats a nice piece but outrageously overpriced :smileyvery-happy: )

109 of 151 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 11:40:17 AM
(0)
Professor
:smileyhappy: :smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

Hungry yet?

Hungry yet?

110 of 151 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 12:53:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I like the Toshiba as opposed to the Lenovo, but the HTC Flyer still is my favorite. However, it's far from my price range compared to the Galaxy Tab and Lenovo IdeaPad A1 that fit it more competitvely. I don't think I'll ever get a tablet though - I don't really see a need for one. My phone and iPod work just fine.

I like the Toshiba as opposed to the Lenovo, but the HTC Flyer still is my favorite. However, it's far from my price range compared to the Galaxy Tab and Lenovo IdeaPad A1 that fit it more competitvely. I don't think I'll ever get a tablet though - I don't really see a need for one. My phone and iPod work just fine.

111 of 151 (554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 1:20:53 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

Hungry yet?

You Found My Weakness.. Im a gadget guy and gotta have em all, lol

Ann154 wrote:

Hungry yet?

You Found My Weakness.. Im a gadget guy and gotta have em all, lol

112 of 151 (552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 12:15:25 PM
(0)
Guru

Ann154 wrote:

Why would it kill the possibility for you?  Considering that video compressed properly for the Tab 10.1 is around 1-2 GB/hour, this means that worst case, you'd have to plug in a thumb drive every few hours to transfer files onto the Tab.

A small price in convenience to pay for the Tab 10.1's thin form factor and high-quality display (Superior to any of the other Honeycomb devices I tried.)

Oh yeah, and in case it isn't obvious from my post - the $20 USB host adapter for the Tab 10.1 is a must-have accessory.  For the price of a 32GB Tab 10.1, you can get the 16 GB Tab 10.1, the USB host adapter, and two 32GB thumb drives.

Ann154 wrote:

Why would it kill the possibility for you?  Considering that video compressed properly for the Tab 10.1 is around 1-2 GB/hour, this means that worst case, you'd have to plug in a thumb drive every few hours to transfer files onto the Tab.

A small price in convenience to pay for the Tab 10.1's thin form factor and high-quality display (Superior to any of the other Honeycomb devices I tried.)

Oh yeah, and in case it isn't obvious from my post - the $20 USB host adapter for the Tab 10.1 is a must-have accessory.  For the price of a 32GB Tab 10.1, you can get the 16 GB Tab 10.1, the USB host adapter, and two 32GB thumb drives.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

113 of 151 (545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 12:29:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Thats not a bad alternate but Itoo, want my removable. Sdcard slot
Thats not a bad alternate but Itoo, want my removable. Sdcard slot

114 of 151 (539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 12:54:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

@RicoLX, the Motorola XOOM has a microSD card slot.  I'm not sure if the Wi-fi only version has been updated to accept it yet, though, but the cellular version can use it.

@WB, I saw someone in a VZW store a while back holding the 7-inch Galaxy Tab up to his ear, pretending to be on the phone.  He was joking around, of course.  But it did look ridiculous.

I'm not sure if I posted it here, but the ultimate tablet-phone combination should be coming out by the end of this year.  It's called the Padfone.

@RicoLX, the Motorola XOOM has a microSD card slot.  I'm not sure if the Wi-fi only version has been updated to accept it yet, though, but the cellular version can use it.

@WB, I saw someone in a VZW store a while back holding the 7-inch Galaxy Tab up to his ear, pretending to be on the phone.  He was joking around, of course.  But it did look ridiculous.

I'm not sure if I posted it here, but the ultimate tablet-phone combination should be coming out by the end of this year.  It's called the Padfone.

115 of 151 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 1:08:33 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 8, 2011 at 1:09:55 PM

21 ! Now THATS sleek! I was so afraid no post Dell Streak options would be available. Im tell you guys, the moment you do venture into a tablet/phone and we are talking about some "screenage", its very spoiling! You will love the combo and convenience

21 ! Now THATS sleek! I was so afraid no post Dell Streak options would be available. Im tell you guys, the moment you do venture into a tablet/phone and we are talking about some "screenage", its very spoiling! You will love the combo and convenience

[ Edited ]
116 of 151 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 1:35:41 PM
(0)
Professor
21stnow,
Have you received the instructions and/or packaging to get 4G LTE on your Xoom, yet?
21stnow,
Have you received the instructions and/or packaging to get 4G LTE on your Xoom, yet?

117 of 151 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 6:15:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No, nothing yet.  I'm losing hope that I will, because there is a rumor that a 4G XOOM is coming out.

I was kind of torn on whether or not I actually wanted the LTE radio, because I saw the problems that VZW's 4G phones had.  Even though it bothers me that we don't get what was advertised, the tablet works fine now.  I would hate it if the 4G radio messed up a good thing.  Also, before I got the XOOM, I thought that I wouldn't mind mailing it back to Motorola.  Now that I'm attached to the XOOM, I don't want to send it back to them. 

I won't worry about it now.  I'll just wait to see what they tell us in the future.

No, nothing yet.  I'm losing hope that I will, because there is a rumor that a 4G XOOM is coming out.

I was kind of torn on whether or not I actually wanted the LTE radio, because I saw the problems that VZW's 4G phones had.  Even though it bothers me that we don't get what was advertised, the tablet works fine now.  I would hate it if the 4G radio messed up a good thing.  Also, before I got the XOOM, I thought that I wouldn't mind mailing it back to Motorola.  Now that I'm attached to the XOOM, I don't want to send it back to them. 

I won't worry about it now.  I'll just wait to see what they tell us in the future.

118 of 151 (523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 3:36:31 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:38:26 AM

So, the Acer Icona is to be released on 09/18

10.1 inch tablet will run on Android Honeycomb 3.2 version

..... hmmm

The Acer Iconia Tab A501. Credit: Acer

So, the Acer Icona is to be released on 09/18

10.1 inch tablet will run on Android Honeycomb 3.2 version

..... hmmm

The Acer Iconia Tab A501. Credit: Acer

ANDROID TABLETS: Acer Icona Set for 09/18/2011

[ Edited ]
119 of 151 (513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 10:04:45 AM
(0)
Professor
Here is the link to the information of the AT&T version.
Here is the link to the information of the AT&T version.

120 of 151 (505 Views)