Posted May 15, 2011
4:59:11 PM
View profile
Android Tablets
Does anyone own/played around with an Android powered tablet, yet? I think they're actually pretty cool. Today I went to Staples and noticed the Motorola Xoom and Dell Streak 7 tablets on display.

I went with trying out the Streak 7 because it was the closest to me. :smileytongue: You know, that thing is actually pretty cool! A good size and pretty easy to work. I didn't know it had a camera, so that was kind of cool. And it's pretty much just like my phone, so there's more Android at it's finest!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
150 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(150)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2011 2:58:40 PM
(0)
Professor
That is very true
That is very true
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Android Tablets

31 of 151 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:08:20 AM
(0)
Guru

I have a Huawei S7 - while it was great at its price point in November, I won't be buying another Huawei product again unless they REALLY change their attitude.

Huawei provides NO post-sales support.  No accessories (that dock connector is useless), no firmware updates in the United States (If you want updated firmware, you need to get something internationally sourced), and their Froyo release policy was horrendous - they only released it to people who took their device to "authorized service centers" in Indonesia.  Fortunately someone in Indo leaked it so US customers have Froyo too.

In the US, instead of providing S7 customers with a Froyo update, they discontinued the S7 and released the S7 Slim.  So US customers never had an S7 with properly working 3G unless they flashed the Indonesian update.  (The Indo update fixed a LOT of radio problems with the S7."

The rumored Eee Transformer 2 (October/November, quad-core NVidia Kal-El) is likely to be my next tablet if the rumors are true.  Now that I have an Infuse I may just get a wifi-only tablet and use the Infuse to provide it with data.

I have a Huawei S7 - while it was great at its price point in November, I won't be buying another Huawei product again unless they REALLY change their attitude.

Huawei provides NO post-sales support.  No accessories (that dock connector is useless), no firmware updates in the United States (If you want updated firmware, you need to get something internationally sourced), and their Froyo release policy was horrendous - they only released it to people who took their device to "authorized service centers" in Indonesia.  Fortunately someone in Indo leaked it so US customers have Froyo too.

In the US, instead of providing S7 customers with a Froyo update, they discontinued the S7 and released the S7 Slim.  So US customers never had an S7 with properly working 3G unless they flashed the Indonesian update.  (The Indo update fixed a LOT of radio problems with the S7."

The rumored Eee Transformer 2 (October/November, quad-core NVidia Kal-El) is likely to be my next tablet if the rumors are true.  Now that I have an Infuse I may just get a wifi-only tablet and use the Infuse to provide it with data.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

32 of 151 (436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2011 8:23:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Entropy512 wrote:

Wow, that sounds like a terribly troubled tab. :smileyvery-happy: Isn't "Huawei" a Chinese-based manufacturer? I thought they were, I'm not completely sure... If I had the choice, I would just get a Wi-Fi only tablet. I'm around Wi-Fi usually all the time, and who actually wants to pay to use 3G data?

Entropy512 wrote:

Wow, that sounds like a terribly troubled tab. :smileyvery-happy: Isn't "Huawei" a Chinese-based manufacturer? I thought they were, I'm not completely sure... If I had the choice, I would just get a Wi-Fi only tablet. I'm around Wi-Fi usually all the time, and who actually wants to pay to use 3G data?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

33 of 151 (433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 3:41:11 PM
(0)
Guru

Yup, they're Chinese.  The S7 was their first venture into the domestic U.S. consumer market and they totally botched it.

The hardware is great, the tablet has/had SO much potential, the hardware is solid but the as-sold firmware for tablets sold at Best Buy was horribly buggy  - the fact that to get Froyo I have to run an international leaked ROM that the manufacturer went to efforts to limit distribution of means that I'm not buying from them again unless things change significantly.  Even before Froyo, if you wanted fixed bugs you had to run the Singapore ROM release.  US customers never saw a single bit of post-sale support of any kind from Huawei unless they took matters into their own hands.

Yup, they're Chinese.  The S7 was their first venture into the domestic U.S. consumer market and they totally botched it.

The hardware is great, the tablet has/had SO much potential, the hardware is solid but the as-sold firmware for tablets sold at Best Buy was horribly buggy  - the fact that to get Froyo I have to run an international leaked ROM that the manufacturer went to efforts to limit distribution of means that I'm not buying from them again unless things change significantly.  Even before Froyo, if you wanted fixed bugs you had to run the Singapore ROM release.  US customers never saw a single bit of post-sale support of any kind from Huawei unless they took matters into their own hands.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

34 of 151 (426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 6:09:20 PM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

WB has a good point. I wish I could function on wi-fi only. Especially when paying the monthly rate for service that include 3G or otherwise access and your 3G "experience" takes you back to 56k dial-up modem days..... :smileyvery-happy:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

WB has a good point. I wish I could function on wi-fi only. Especially when paying the monthly rate for service that include 3G or otherwise access and your 3G "experience" takes you back to 56k dial-up modem days..... :smileyvery-happy:

35 of 151 (419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 6:47:43 PM
(0)
Professor
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

36 of 151 (409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 7:10:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Um... Very "interesting", I would call it...

LG has already adapted the name "Thrive" for their latest (and first) prepaid smartphone. I wonder if Toshiba had to get permission to call their new tablet the "Thrive", also?

Um... Very "interesting", I would call it...

LG has already adapted the name "Thrive" for their latest (and first) prepaid smartphone. I wonder if Toshiba had to get permission to call their new tablet the "Thrive", also?

37 of 151 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 5:55:24 AM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
This video is SO COOL!

http://www.androidcentral.com/toshiba-shows-thrive-and-gives-us-all-chance-win-one?style_mobile=0

That is the most animated unboxing I have ever seen. I like it

Ann154 wrote:
This video is SO COOL!

http://www.androidcentral.com/toshiba-shows-thrive-and-gives-us-all-chance-win-one?style_mobile=0

That is the most animated unboxing I have ever seen. I like it

38 of 151 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 2:22:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Why/When is AT&T going to get onboard with the Xoom 3g plan??!!?
Why/When is AT&T going to get onboard with the Xoom 3g plan??!!?

39 of 151 (389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 3:36:28 PM
(0)
Professor
It is more like when are they going to sell 10" android tablets?
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
It is more like when are they going to sell 10" android tablets?

40 of 151 (385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 8:45:28 PM
(0)
Professor
Took forever to get what androids they got... Who knows when they will start carrying more tabs... I think att should finally give up the concept of being the only apple product carrier..... Then again not many carriers left..
Took forever to get what androids they got... Who knows when they will start carrying more tabs... I think att should finally give up the concept of being the only apple product carrier..... Then again not many carriers left..

41 of 151 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 12:01:20 PM
(0)
Guru

RicoLX wrote:

AT&T lost its exclusivity earlier this year.  Interestingly enough, that's when they finally started shaping up in the Android arena, VZW was utterly smoking them in terms of device selection.

RicoLX wrote:

AT&T lost its exclusivity earlier this year.  Interestingly enough, that's when they finally started shaping up in the Android arena, VZW was utterly smoking them in terms of device selection.

42 of 151 (416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 12:27:28 PM
(0)
Professor
And the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was made available for pre-order on Big Red starting yesterday. Smoking indeed. :smileywink:
And the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was made available for pre-order on Big Red starting yesterday. Smoking indeed. :smileywink:

43 of 151 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 1:26:21 PM
(0)
Professor
You see, Mama Bell? Even the 'red-head-stepchild' ( V :smileywink: ), gets new tablets before you release new ones to us , yo' very own ever-luvn, bloo-blooded loyal as loyal can get, customers... Wharrr's the luv, mamma? Whars' the luv?!
You see, Mama Bell? Even the 'red-head-stepchild' ( V :smileywink: ), gets new tablets before you release new ones to us , yo' very own ever-luvn, bloo-blooded loyal as loyal can get, customers... Wharrr's the luv, mamma? Whars' the luv?!

44 of 151 (410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 1:39:59 PM
(0)
Professor

Entropy512 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

I agree with you totally. Even Tmo was pushing out more and nicer choices than whtwe were stuck with for long. Finally att pulled her head out of Apples (#+@$) , relizing we are even behind CRICKET with androids...:smileywink:. Time to play catchup!

Entropy512 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

I agree with you totally. Even Tmo was pushing out more and nicer choices than whtwe were stuck with for long. Finally att pulled her head out of Apples (#+@$) , relizing we are even behind CRICKET with androids...:smileywink:. Time to play catchup!

45 of 151 (406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 1:53:55 PM
(0)
Professor
When comparing phones, there are sometimes I wish I could get Tmo in my area. Even just to try them out because some of those phones are NICE!
When comparing phones, there are sometimes I wish I could get Tmo in my area. Even just to try them out because some of those phones are NICE!

46 of 151 (404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 2:12:41 PM
(0)
Professor
You got that right. I had the sidekick back when the 2nd release was out... But today's tmo phones are way nicer and a shame they are not in atts catalog
You got that right. I had the sidekick back when the 2nd release was out... But today's tmo phones are way nicer and a shame they are not in atts catalog

47 of 151 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 3:34:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
T-Mobile does have some nice Androids available. The HTC Sensation is definitely one heck of a phone, and I can't even remember which other ones there were that I favor(ed)! :smileyvery-happy:

T-Mobile does have some nice Androids available. The HTC Sensation is definitely one heck of a phone, and I can't even remember which other ones there were that I favor(ed)! :smileyvery-happy:

48 of 151 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2011 6:04:54 PM
(0)
Professor
You are right, buddy. I was hoping att add some of tmos phones (modified to work better on att) if they merge
You are right, buddy. I was hoping att add some of tmos phones (modified to work better on att) if they merge

49 of 151 (389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 9:22:07 AM
(0)
Professor
On the websites filter results (new, refurbished, multiple colors and tablets)
12 android devices on ATT (including the GoPhone LG Thrive)
30 android devices on VZW
16 android devices on Sprint
25 devices on Tmobile
10 android devices on US Cellular
4 android devices on Cricket Wireless
On the websites filter results (new, refurbished, multiple colors and tablets)
12 android devices on ATT (including the GoPhone LG Thrive)
30 android devices on VZW
16 android devices on Sprint
25 devices on Tmobile
10 android devices on US Cellular
4 android devices on Cricket Wireless

50 of 151 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 9:28:15 AM
(0)
Professor
Lol, as expected. AT&T and Creekit running a close dead-last tie... The big red Visitors "V" up there with the big boys!

(...is that series still on the air?... Last episode I watched was the queen who looks like Sheldon-in-drag, about to duke it out with mama lizard kept in the dongeon....)
Lol, as expected. AT&T and Creekit running a close dead-last tie... The big red Visitors "V" up there with the big boys!

(...is that series still on the air?... Last episode I watched was the queen who looks like Sheldon-in-drag, about to duke it out with mama lizard kept in the dongeon....)

51 of 151 (432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 3:07:39 PM
(0)
Professor
It quite a difference in numbers isn't though across the carriers.
It quite a difference in numbers isn't though across the carriers.

52 of 151 (424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2011 7:07:08 AM
(0)
Professor
I agree
I agree

53 of 151 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 1:51:59 PM
(0)
Professor
Anyone want a free tablet? See the link.

http://m.androidcentral.com/our-forums-hit-1-million-posts-now-you-can-win-galaxy-tab-101

54 of 151 (408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 2:18:06 PM
(0)
Professor
Thanks! Ann(DROID154)! I just entered! Would be nice if someome we know wins! Thats a nice tab!

original.jpeg

Thanks! Ann(DROID154)! I just entered! Would be nice if someome we know wins! Thats a nice tab!

original.jpeg

55 of 151 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 4:36:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
It would be really, really cool to win that. I'd like to enter but don't feel like registering. I already am registered for too many things - AT&T and Verizon Forums, eBay, and other things I can't seem to remember.

Samsung is MY brand, too! :smileyvery-happy:

It would be really, really cool to win that. I'd like to enter but don't feel like registering. I already am registered for too many things - AT&T and Verizon Forums, eBay, and other things I can't seem to remember.

Samsung is MY brand, too! :smileyvery-happy:

56 of 151 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 5:14:24 PM
(0)
Professor
With all those mentioned entries, you are bound to be a winner in one of those contests :smileywink:
With all those mentioned entries, you are bound to be a winner in one of those contests :smileywink:

57 of 151 (400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2011 5:49:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
If these Forums ever HAD any contests! :smileyvery-happy:

If these Forums ever HAD any contests! :smileyvery-happy:

58 of 151 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 11:16:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I JUST noticed this new Android tablet while reading a magazine about half-an-hour ago. It's called the HTC Flyer. I'm trying to remember if Ann154 had linked it earlier but couldn't seem to find it. Anyway, here it is...

http://www.htc.com/www/product/flyer/specification.html

I really like the looks of it and the stylus/writing option. This has got to be my favorite Android tab out there on the market right now. It truly is "a tablet like no other." :smileywink:

I JUST noticed this new Android tablet while reading a magazine about half-an-hour ago. It's called the HTC Flyer. I'm trying to remember if Ann154 had linked it earlier but couldn't seem to find it. Anyway, here it is...

http://www.htc.com/www/product/flyer/specification.html

I really like the looks of it and the stylus/writing option. This has got to be my favorite Android tab out there on the market right now. It truly is "a tablet like no other." :smileywink:

59 of 151 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 12:39:15 PM
(0)
Professor
The biggest con in my book against it is the fact that it is running Gingerbread with a modified version of HTC Sense instead of Honeycomb.

Otherwise I think it is nice too.
The biggest con in my book against it is the fact that it is running Gingerbread with a modified version of HTC Sense instead of Honeycomb.

Otherwise I think it is nice too.

60 of 151 (377 Views)