Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 3, 2011
3:21:57 PM
View profile
Android Smart phone with pay as you go service

I have ATT android unlocked smartphone.

I want to use android smart touch phone with ATT GoPhone Prepaid pay as you go service plan of 10 cents / min. Talk time will be from 10 c/min. I read that I have to nuy data package. There are two data packages $5 for 10 MB. Other one is $15 for 100 MB.

Can i combine smart phone with 10 c/min talk time with $5/10 MB data package?

Also I have family account with ATT with single line currently. I would like to carry over same number from plan (contract is over though) to pay as you go service. Can i do that?

Thx

KD

I have ATT android unlocked smartphone.

I want to use android smart touch phone with ATT GoPhone Prepaid pay as you go service plan of 10 cents / min. Talk time will be from 10 c/min. I read that I have to nuy data package. There are two data packages $5 for 10 MB. Other one is $15 for 100 MB.

Can i combine smart phone with 10 c/min talk time with $5/10 MB data package?

Also I have family account with ATT with single line currently. I would like to carry over same number from plan (contract is over though) to pay as you go service. Can i do that?

Thx

KD

Android Smart phone with pay as you go service

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 3:33:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, you may definitely do this. You just need to transfer your current phone number to prepaid and you should be all set account-wise.

As for the Android phone, you do not HAVE to use a data package unless you really want to. Personally, I choose not to use data. I am using a Samsung Captivate Android phone on the $0.10 a minute Simple Plan and I am also using an iPhone with it, too. Both phones work great.

You may use a combination of voice minutes and a data package, too. You can even throw in text messaging if you want. Smiley Tongue

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yes, you may definitely do this. You just need to transfer your current phone number to prepaid and you should be all set account-wise.

As for the Android phone, you do not HAVE to use a data package unless you really want to. Personally, I choose not to use data. I am using a Samsung Captivate Android phone on the $0.10 a minute Simple Plan and I am also using an iPhone with it, too. Both phones work great.

You may use a combination of voice minutes and a data package, too. You can even throw in text messaging if you want. Smiley Tongue

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Android Smart phone with pay as you go service

2 of 7 (7,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 7:22:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just a thought. You can just get a brand new number on GoPhone service and port your current postpaid number to Google Voice. You can then forward calls to the postpaid/Google Voice number to whatever number you end up getting assigned on GoPhone. With this, you get visual voicemail and practically unlimited texting for relatively cheap (500MB/$25 initial top-up, then 10MB/$5 per month afterwards - should be good for 6 months or $8.33/mo). You also get to keep your number forever even if you switch carriers. I know you can always port your number but if you port to Google Voice, you only have to do it once.

Just a thought. You can just get a brand new number on GoPhone service and port your current postpaid number to Google Voice. You can then forward calls to the postpaid/Google Voice number to whatever number you end up getting assigned on GoPhone. With this, you get visual voicemail and practically unlimited texting for relatively cheap (500MB/$25 initial top-up, then 10MB/$5 per month afterwards - should be good for 6 months or $8.33/mo). You also get to keep your number forever even if you switch carriers. I know you can always port your number but if you port to Google Voice, you only have to do it once.

3 of 7 (7,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 5:05:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for sharing your thought.

I have been looking at att site and they mention that with 10c / min plan with smart phone must use data package.

I see Data packages are $5 and higher one is $15. I do not mind keeping $5 plan though.

Will it suffice att condition? I heard that the moment you use smart phone, att automatically recognize it and shows message it is smart phone and add data package automatically if plan does not have it

Thx

KD

Thanks for sharing your thought.

I have been looking at att site and they mention that with 10c / min plan with smart phone must use data package.

I see Data packages are $5 and higher one is $15. I do not mind keeping $5 plan though.

Will it suffice att condition? I heard that the moment you use smart phone, att automatically recognize it and shows message it is smart phone and add data package automatically if plan does not have it

Thx

KD

4 of 7 (7,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 5:12:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
Are you using Samsung Captivate Android phone with 10 c/min but without data plan? Did ATT forced you to add data plan?
Are you using Samsung Captivate Android phone with 10 c/min but without data plan? Did ATT forced you to add data plan?

5 of 7 (7,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 6:01:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You can use a smartphone with at&t's prepaid service with no data plan or with the $5/month data plan (for 10 MB). If you don't add a data plan and are using a device that at&t recognizes as a smartphone you won't have access to cellular data service.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

You can use a smartphone with at&t's prepaid service with no data plan or with the $5/month data plan (for 10 MB). If you don't add a data plan and are using a device that at&t recognizes as a smartphone you won't have access to cellular data service.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (7,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 6:06:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jnks2005 wrote:

Yes, that is correct. I am using my SIM in both my Captivate and my iPhone. I am not using a data package, as that is my own choice. AT&T has not forced me to have a data package, either.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

jnks2005 wrote:

Yes, that is correct. I am using my SIM in both my Captivate and my iPhone. I am not using a data package, as that is my own choice. AT&T has not forced me to have a data package, either.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

7 of 7 (7,709 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments