View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 6:37:10 PM
(0)
Master
haven't heard anything myself. I'm sure it is coming someday...
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
haven't heard anything myself. I'm sure it is coming someday...
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: Android Release 2.3

2 of 16 (1,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 7:33:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi there!

No news on the update yet! I'm sure they will update us soon! Smiley Wink

-Evandela
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi there!

No news on the update yet! I'm sure they will update us soon! Smiley Wink

-Evandela
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (1,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2011 9:27:34 PM
(0)
Mentor
It's a samsung phone. You won't see an upgrade for about 9 months. Samsung is horrid for updating in a timely manner...take the galaxy s on all four carriers. Froyo took almost nine months. On july 25 att put out a press release stating that all galaxy s phones would be getting it..

Contacted att, that had someone call me. She said it is up to samsung to put it out..I contacted samsung and they said att has the responsibility for releasing it.
Woman from att says att only put out that press release because samsung said it was releasing soon...that was over two months ago...

Sad news that samsung is making the new nexus..only good thing about that is google puts out the updates..

To reiterate, don't expect updates from samsung in a reasonable amount of time.
It's a samsung phone. You won't see an upgrade for about 9 months. Samsung is horrid for updating in a timely manner...take the galaxy s on all four carriers. Froyo took almost nine months. On july 25 att put out a press release stating that all galaxy s phones would be getting it..

Contacted att, that had someone call me. She said it is up to samsung to put it out..I contacted samsung and they said att has the responsibility for releasing it.
Woman from att says att only put out that press release because samsung said it was releasing soon...that was over two months ago...

Sad news that samsung is making the new nexus..only good thing about that is google puts out the updates..

4 of 16 (1,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 6:31:43 AM
(0)
Professor

and i get the feeling that the Dell Streak gets left out of this upgrade.... not sure yet.. .but just got that sad sad feel'n.  

...and i aint happy about it either.....

and i get the feeling that the Dell Streak gets left out of this upgrade.... not sure yet.. .but just got that sad sad feel'n.  

...and i aint happy about it either.....

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

5 of 16 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2011 12:43:48 AM
(0)
Contributor
so trie, the samsung captive just got update recently. and it seem like att and samsung playing a game, pointing finger at each other. one more thing, i wish i never get fire if i was late to my job even i say i will be early.
so trie, the samsung captive just got update recently. and it seem like att and samsung playing a game, pointing finger at each other. one more thing, i wish i never get fire if i was late to my job even i say i will be early.

6 of 16 (1,149 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 5:17:39 PM
(0)
Professor
Leeseng did you get the 2.3 update on your Samsung Captivate? Or are att and/or the manufacturer holding back the update?
Leeseng did you get the 2.3 update on your Samsung Captivate? Or are att and/or the manufacturer holding back the update?

7 of 16 (1,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 12:07:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

The update came out for pretty much every country except the US. 

The update came out for pretty much every country except the US. 

8 of 16 (1,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 12:16:01 PM
(0)
Professor
And that stinks, royally. I wonder what red-tape is going on that takes so long for the U.S. to get the updates.
And that stinks, royally. I wonder what red-tape is going on that takes so long for the U.S. to get the updates.

9 of 16 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 1:26:54 PM
(0)
Master
Hint: Bloatware...
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

10 of 16 (1,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 1:51:02 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

..... Could not have said it better!.....

Ann154 wrote:

..... Could not have said it better!.....

11 of 16 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 1:58:55 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:02:36 PM

c0n wrote:

Samsung isn't horrible about updates.  US carriers are, especially AT&T.

The i9000 (International GalaxyS) and i9100 (International GSII) get regular update drops.

Even more evidence pointing to AT&T being at fault here is the fact that the Infuse has had Gingerbread in Canada since it was released on Rogers in late July.

It's possible to run the Rogers firmware on an AT&T phone, with the following limitations:

1)  No MHL (HDMI) support - Rogers doesn't support it on their devices, Canadians don't even get the adapter

2)  Video crippled at 15 FPS - this includes stock Rogers devices

3)  The Rogers RIL doesn't provide HSPA+ speeds for most people.

None of the above are enough of an issue to cause an update to be delayed more than a month and a half.  They're all easy fixes for someone with the complete source code (Samsung).

c0n wrote:

Samsung isn't horrible about updates.  US carriers are, especially AT&T.

The i9000 (International GalaxyS) and i9100 (International GSII) get regular update drops.

Even more evidence pointing to AT&T being at fault here is the fact that the Infuse has had Gingerbread in Canada since it was released on Rogers in late July.

It's possible to run the Rogers firmware on an AT&T phone, with the following limitations:

1)  No MHL (HDMI) support - Rogers doesn't support it on their devices, Canadians don't even get the adapter

2)  Video crippled at 15 FPS - this includes stock Rogers devices

3)  The Rogers RIL doesn't provide HSPA+ speeds for most people.

None of the above are enough of an issue to cause an update to be delayed more than a month and a half.  They're all easy fixes for someone with the complete source code (Samsung).

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
12 of 16 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 2:13:14 PM
(0)
Professor
Yep, all the time spent negotiating and figuring out ways to cram more useless bloat that will get removed anyway....only puts us behind when other carriers already rolled it out and about to move on to the next...
Yep, all the time spent negotiating and figuring out ways to cram more useless bloat that will get removed anyway....only puts us behind when other carriers already rolled it out and about to move on to the next...

13 of 16 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 11:01:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

Entropy,

Since none of the US versions of the Galaxy S have Gingerbread yet, I would think that it would be a Samsung issue. If you speak to them on twitter they always have the same canned answer "follow us, when we have more info we will tweet".

Entropy,

Since none of the US versions of the Galaxy S have Gingerbread yet, I would think that it would be a Samsung issue. If you speak to them on twitter they always have the same canned answer "follow us, when we have more info we will tweet".

14 of 16 (670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 9:34:41 AM
(0)
Guru

c0n wrote:

Entropy,

No, that would be a pretty clear indication that it's a carrier issue.

The international I9000 and Captivate are so similar that you can run I9000 firmware builds on the Captivate.  Thus, there is NO way the Captivate Gingerbread delay was Samsung's fault - it was 100% carrier delay.  There were a few Captivate-specific things that didn't quite work perfectly if you did a straight port with no customization - but there aren't enough differences to justify the delay.

Samsung had NO update frequency problems on the I9000, nor are they having any with the I9100 (International GSII).  It's clearly a problem specific to releasing on US-based carriers, especially AT&T.  Did you know that AT&T was the only U.S. carrier not to release Froyo for ANY phone in 2010?

c0n wrote:

Entropy,

The international I9000 and Captivate are so similar that you can run I9000 firmware builds on the Captivate.  Thus, there is NO way the Captivate Gingerbread delay was Samsung's fault - it was 100% carrier delay.  There were a few Captivate-specific things that didn't quite work perfectly if you did a straight port with no customization - but there aren't enough differences to justify the delay.

Samsung had NO update frequency problems on the I9000, nor are they having any with the I9100 (International GSII).  It's clearly a problem specific to releasing on US-based carriers, especially AT&T.  Did you know that AT&T was the only U.S. carrier not to release Froyo for ANY phone in 2010?

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

15 of 16 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 3:08:02 AM
(0)
Professor

Entropy512 wrote:

c0n wrote:

Entropy,

Yep, seems to be more carrier delaying the updates to customers rather than a manufacturer.  Especially when yo usee other customers already updated that are not with the same carrier as you. Negotiations are going on at the expense of delaying the update.  By the time we get it, its already practically out-of-date

Entropy512 wrote:

c0n wrote:

Entropy,

Yep, seems to be more carrier delaying the updates to customers rather than a manufacturer.  Especially when yo usee other customers already updated that are not with the same carrier as you. Negotiations are going on at the expense of delaying the update.  By the time we get it, its already practically out-of-date

16 of 16 (606 Views)