Android 2.2 phone with QWERTY keyboard?

Contributor

Android 2.2 phone with QWERTY keyboard?

I am trying to find out if there is a phone out there for AT&T that has the latest Android operating system, which I think is 2.2, and a slide out QWERTY keyboard.  I currently have Verizon and have an HTC Touch Pro 2 which runs on Windows 6.1.  I LOVE my keyboard and am not willing to part with it.  I also need a phone that is able to tether wirelessly because I am unable to get high speed internet at my house and am not willing to pay for satellite.  My TP2 works as a wireless router with an app that I downloaded.  I believe the Android phones must be rooted to make this possible.  I am not sure how to do it, but I can probably figure it out.  Smiley Happy  

AT&T gets better reception at my house but unfortunately overall worse reception than Verizon all around where I live.  BUT, I need it to operate my internet at home so I am looking in to switching.  If anyone can give me any advice on if there is a phone out there that fulfills all my needs, that would be GREAT!!  I have been looking at switching to the Motorola Droid 2 if I stay with Verizon because it has the QWERTY keyboard and operates on Froyo.

Thanks again!

Message 1 of 7

Re: Android 2.2 phone with QWERTY keyboard?

There are currently 3 AT&T Android phones with physical keyboards, and all are from Motorola.  They're the Backflip, the Flipout, and the Flipside.  All three run Android 2.1 (the Backflip has a recent upgrade from 1.6).

As far as I'm aware, no phone has an AT&T-approved release of Android 2.2, yet.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7
Professor

hurleygirlie05 wrote:

I also need a phone that is able to tether wirelessly because I am unable to get high speed internet at my house and am not willing to pay for satellite.  My TP2 works as a wireless router with an app that I downloaded.  I believe the Android phones must be rooted to make this possible. 

One thing to keep in mind before switching, AT&T no longer offers an unlimited data plan.

Your options are 200mb and 2GB.

Tethering is an additional $20/month but does NOT give you any additional data.

In my opinion, you would be better off with a wireless data card or a MiFI device in addition to your cell phone.

Message 3 of 7
Contributor

Ok, thanks so much for the response.  Smiley Happy  My contract is up in May with Verizon so if AT&T doesn't have any other phones by then I may not switch.  We'll see...

Message 4 of 7
Contributor

I cannot afford BOTH a cell phone with a data plan and a card to get internet.  Now that I have had a smartphone, I am NOT willing to do without, even though it is a luxury not a necessity.  Smiley Happy

That is a good point about the unlimited data.  Verizon does offer unlimited data, which is what I have currently.  As for paying to tether, Verizon charges $20 per month to do so as well, but I do not pay anything since it is a separate application that turns my phone into a wireless router for free.  I am looking for a phone to do this same thing.  I have done some research and it looks like an Android phone has this capability but it has to be rooted, or unlocked. 

Thanks for the response and advice.  

Message 5 of 7
Scholar

As it seems you have a few months before your contract runs out, I would wait at least until March. The next gen or android phones should become more of a reality by than, with a few rumors already going around.

I agree about the hard keyboard on the Tilt2, perhaps the only feature that I've liked it. But would be more than happy to give it up for a 5" screen......

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Teacher

You can buy an unlock Desire Z, the Bell Canada version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-VLcSi4HQ

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support