Android 2.2 phone with QWERTY keyboard?

Contributor

Android 2.2 phone with QWERTY keyboard?

I am trying to find out if there is a phone out there for AT&T that has the latest Android operating system, which I think is 2.2, and a slide out QWERTY keyboard.  I currently have Verizon and have an HTC Touch Pro 2 which runs on Windows 6.1.  I LOVE my keyboard and am not willing to part with it.  I also need a phone that is able to tether wirelessly because I am unable to get high speed internet at my house and am not willing to pay for satellite.  My TP2 works as a wireless router with an app that I downloaded.  I believe the Android phones must be rooted to make this possible.  I am not sure how to do it, but I can probably figure it out.  Smiley Happy  

AT&T gets better reception at my house but unfortunately overall worse reception than Verizon all around where I live.  BUT, I need it to operate my internet at home so I am looking in to switching.  If anyone can give me any advice on if there is a phone out there that fulfills all my needs, that would be GREAT!!  I have been looking at switching to the Motorola Droid 2 if I stay with Verizon because it has the QWERTY keyboard and operates on Froyo.

Thanks again!

Message 1 of 7 (8,726 Views)

Re: Android 2.2 phone with QWERTY keyboard?

There are currently 3 AT&T Android phones with physical keyboards, and all are from Motorola.  They're the Backflip, the Flipout, and the Flipside.  All three run Android 2.1 (the Backflip has a recent upgrade from 1.6).

As far as I'm aware, no phone has an AT&T-approved release of Android 2.2, yet.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (8,715 Views)
Professor

hurleygirlie05 wrote:

I also need a phone that is able to tether wirelessly because I am unable to get high speed internet at my house and am not willing to pay for satellite.  My TP2 works as a wireless router with an app that I downloaded.  I believe the Android phones must be rooted to make this possible. 

One thing to keep in mind before switching, AT&T no longer offers an unlimited data plan.

Your options are 200mb and 2GB.

Tethering is an additional $20/month but does NOT give you any additional data.

In my opinion, you would be better off with a wireless data card or a MiFI device in addition to your cell phone.

Message 3 of 7 (8,670 Views)
Contributor

Ok, thanks so much for the response.  Smiley Happy  My contract is up in May with Verizon so if AT&T doesn't have any other phones by then I may not switch.  We'll see...

Message 4 of 7 (8,604 Views)
Contributor

I cannot afford BOTH a cell phone with a data plan and a card to get internet.  Now that I have had a smartphone, I am NOT willing to do without, even though it is a luxury not a necessity.  Smiley Happy

That is a good point about the unlimited data.  Verizon does offer unlimited data, which is what I have currently.  As for paying to tether, Verizon charges $20 per month to do so as well, but I do not pay anything since it is a separate application that turns my phone into a wireless router for free.  I am looking for a phone to do this same thing.  I have done some research and it looks like an Android phone has this capability but it has to be rooted, or unlocked. 

Thanks for the response and advice.  

Message 5 of 7 (8,603 Views)
Scholar

As it seems you have a few months before your contract runs out, I would wait at least until March. The next gen or android phones should become more of a reality by than, with a few rumors already going around.

I agree about the hard keyboard on the Tilt2, perhaps the only feature that I've liked it. But would be more than happy to give it up for a 5" screen......

Message 6 of 7 (8,574 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

You can buy an unlock Desire Z, the Bell Canada version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-VLcSi4HQ

Message 7 of 7 (8,060 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support