Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

Guru

Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

[ Edited ]

For those of us with Nexus One's, Android 2.2 (Froyo) has been released by Google for the AT&T banded N1's. I've manually updated mine. Now, to go see what its all about!

Message 1 of 36 (12,982 Views)
Scholar

Re: Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

UHmump95 wrote:

The inability to load third party apps has been beaten to heck.  Come on folks, just down load the develepers app to your PC and boom, you are side loading all the third party apps you want.  Give it a rest already .....

Hope you don't like Swype then.  Cause you can't download that to your computer unless it's a cracked version.  Swype is download directly to your phone once it recognize that you are using an Android browser.  It won't download using the internet on your computer.  The swype installer then download the app to your phone.  You can't "side" dl this using the computer.

And why do comsumers have to go out their way to load a program they like on the phone.  Not everyone is savy using the SDK.

But whatever works for people I guess.

Message 16 of 36 (3,133 Views)
Scholar

Message 17 of 36 (3,130 Views)
Scholar

ddavi021 wrote:

UHmump95 wrote:

The inability to load third party apps has been beaten to heck.  Come on folks, just down load the develepers app to your PC and boom, you are side loading all the third party apps you want.  Give it a rest already .....

Hope you don't like Swype then.  Cause you can't download that to your computer unless it's a cracked version.  Swype is download directly to your phone once it recognize that you are using an Android browser.  It won't download using the internet on your computer.  The swype installer then download the app to your phone.  You can't "side" dl this using the computer.

And why do comsumers have to go out their way to load a program they like on the phone.  Not everyone is savy using the SDK.

Guess you do not know that you can remove your sim and log in using wi-fi and download it.

Message 18 of 36 (3,100 Views)
Scholar

ddavi021 wrote:

As for Swype (which seems sweet) my suggestion would be to get the Samsung Captivate which comes with Swype preloaded.

As for going out of your way to load an app.  Should a person who isn't savvy using the SDK be attempting to load apps from an unknown source?  If you can't download a program and get it to recognize your phone, you should be restricted to someone holding your hand and telling you what you can put on your phone.

Message 19 of 36 (3,044 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

The fact is, a person shouldn't be inconvienced to operate their phone the way they want.  10 mins just to download a app?  taking out sims cards turning back on and turning back off and put the sims back in to get a app?  I'm not here to bash anything that is wrong with current Android phones on AT&T.  But I also see a person who never had an Android prior could really understand what they are missing out on. 

Take gameloft for example.  They have games that on their website that are not on the market.  I don't want to be inconvienced just to download a game to my phone from a trusted website.  Like I said prior, I had the backflip.  It was my first Android ever and didn't think it was a big deal, but when I took it back and got the Nexus, it reminded me why I made a promise to never buy an branded phone ever again.  Not everyone is gonna understand how to use the SDK to install 3rd party apps. 

I love everything about 2.2, the flash, the free wi-fi hot spot and tethering, so much.  I assure you that if Galaxy S every sees the light of 2.2 on AT&T, it will have wifi and tethering taken out and replaced with an AT&T bloatware that will be able to charge you for the service like it does the iPhone.

Message 20 of 36 (3,011 Views)
Scholar

I guess I figure that if you ain't savvy enough to use the SDK, chances are you are not savvy enough to attempt to download non-market apps.  As I have said before, downloading non-market apps is not a big whoop for me.  If I decide I want to, I will download the SDK and work from there.

Do you get to tether from your N1 and not have to pay the extra $20.00 bucks a month?  If so, I have seen my first majore benefit to getting a N1.

Message 21 of 36 (2,413 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

I guess I figure that if you ain't savvy enough to use the SDK, chances are you are not savvy enough to attempt to download non-market apps.  As I have said before, downloading non-market apps is not a big whoop for me.  If I decide I want to, I will download the SDK and work from there.

Do you get to tether from your N1 and not have to pay the extra $20.00 bucks a month?  If so, I have seen my first majore benefit to getting a N1.

As of now yes.  I haven't seen any TEXT from AT&T telling me I have to change my plan or anything and I'm still on my grandfathered plan.  I don't use it much, hardly ever truth be told, but when I do use it, it's great to know I have it available.  They wifi hotspot is great.  I don't know how many items I can hook up but my lap top and iPod Touch are both working ont he wifi for it. 

Message 22 of 36 (2,401 Views)
Guru

FRF91, an update to Froyo, is out now. It addresses "security" issues in Gmail...if I understood correctly.
Message 23 of 36 (2,379 Views)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
FRF91, an update to Froyo, is out now. It addresses "security" issues in Gmail...if I understood correctly.

Yeah I installed in manually.  There's also a work around to set all apps to be able to be installed to SD using the SDK.  I set it up and swapped overs apps that weren't tied to widgets or notifications.

Message 24 of 36 (2,372 Views)
Guru

You have a link on how to do it? Also, my nexus wont show up as a drive on my computer when I turn on mass storage. Any ideas on what the probably might be? The phone shows up in devices as an ADB device though.
Message 25 of 36 (2,369 Views)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
You have a link on how to do it? Also, my nexus wont show up as a drive on my computer when I turn on mass storage. Any ideas on what the probably might be? The phone shows up in devices as an ADB device though.

http://thegreencodeblog.com/2010/06/12/how-to-force-apps-to-move-to-the-sd-card-on-froyo/

Not sure on that.  I'd recmmend rebooting the phone, maybe as much as even taking the SD card out and reinsert it and boot back up again.  Also if you have tethering on, you can't switch to USB mass storage. 

Message 26 of 36 (2,366 Views)
Teacher

Since I started the "locked files" thread, I should end it.  As usual, XDA Developers has come to the rescue.  The phone is now completely unlocked with no issues.  As a former WM user, there were lots of issues with WM that XDA fixed over the years.  I am no Android guru, but in just a few days, this phone is doing everything I want, much faster than my former ATT Pure, and the software on the Android market is incredible.  Much of it is free, and pretty good quality.  For those apps where you need to make a purchase, the highest price I've seen is $15.  Much lower cost of ownership than WM.

The WM7 ugrade was my last straw.  I figured if I had to get all new applications for compatibility purposes, why not look around.  The Android phone, out of the box, gave me 90% of what I wanted at no additional cost.

Bye Bye WM.

Message 27 of 36 (2,258 Views)
Scholar

tomlogan1 wrote:

Since I started the "locked files" thread, I should end it.  As usual, XDA Developers has come to the rescue.  The phone is now completely unlocked with no issues.  As a former WM user, there were lots of issues with WM that XDA fixed over the years.  I am no Android guru, but in just a few days, this phone is doing everything I want, much faster than my former ATT Pure, and the software on the Android market is incredible.  Much of it is free, and pretty good quality.  For those apps where you need to make a purchase, the highest price I've seen is $15.  Much lower cost of ownership than WM.

The WM7 ugrade was my last straw.  I figured if I had to get all new applications for compatibility purposes, why not look around.  The Android phone, out of the box, gave me 90% of what I wanted at no additional cost.

Bye Bye WM.

Welcome to the Droid Side.

Message 28 of 36 (2,242 Views)
Tutor

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to upload Froyo on the HTC Desire.  I plan on getting one VERY soon.

Thanks

Message 29 of 36 (2,174 Views)
Guru

You'll have to wait for HTC to release 2.2, if you want to stay stock and keep Sense.
Message 30 of 36 (2,170 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.