Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

Guru

Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

[ Edited ]

For those of us with Nexus One's, Android 2.2 (Froyo) has been released by Google for the AT&T banded N1's. I've manually updated mine. Now, to go see what its all about!

Message 1 of 36 (12,980 Views)
Scholar

Re: Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

Froyo is absolutely GREAT.  I been messing around with all the new features as of last night and WOW.  I though 2.1 was something.

PURE FLASH SUPPORT.  And will work in the main browser and also SkyFire and probably any other browser as well.

Mail Exchange Support.

Color Trackball Support look up Blink till something else come avail.

3G is SUPER and I mean SUPER fast.

Apps2SD support depending on the dev activating the feature

And the Speed is WOW!  Definitely puts the 1ghz processor to use.

Touch screen is twice as accurate and better now

only took 10 mins to upgrade compared to 2hrs updating my iPod Touch.

And game play.....

Some apps and widgets had to be resinstalled but no data loss, no contact loss and everything was kept in its place.

landscape is now support on both side now.

LED Flashlight is now supported via App.  Look up TeslaLED

People can have their iOS4.

Message 2 of 36 (12,850 Views)
Teacher

Decision made. No more waiting for AT&T to bring out a decent phone. N1 ordered today. Will be here tomorrow.

Message 3 of 36 (12,817 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

Welcome to the 2.2 club. I don't think you'll regret it. I haven't spent any time with my updated N1, but, from reading what ddavi021 wrote, It'll be hard to decide between the N1 and i4 when I leave in the mornings.
Message 4 of 36 (12,807 Views)
Scholar

Man I know people are really really hoping that AT&T will drop a high power Android, but you're gonna lose this battle with them.  I love AT&T I'd probably never leaving, but their subsidize phones are boo boo.  Android truly is a OS that is not be stripped of certain services cause one restriction will make several things not work.  Just look at the thread about the Aria having issues.

Remember

Free Navigation

Google Voice

Swype

PTT

Tethering both wifi & hot spot

No Bloatware

Flash

And all this w/o worrying about having AT&T approve a Android OS release.

And when Gingerbread drops whenever it does later towards the end of year, or next year

Man I'm loving the Flash feature.  Still a few rough edges and still in beta, but they accomplished ALOT with the release for mobile devices.

Message 5 of 36 (12,753 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Am I missing something? Flash isn't working for me. Do I need to enable it? I looked in the browser settings but didn't see anything about flash.

Nevermind...didn't know it had to be downloaded. Too freaking cool! Weird seeing stuff on a cell that you've never seen before.
Message 6 of 36 (12,705 Views)
Scholar

Which thread is talking about issues with the Aria?

Message 7 of 36 (12,695 Views)
Scholar

Rounin wrote:

Which thread is talking about issues with the Aria?

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/AT-T-HTC/Aria-and-Locked-files/td-p/1960389

Message 8 of 36 (12,681 Views)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:

Am I missing something? Flash isn't working for me. Do I need to enable it? I looked in the browser settings but didn't see anything about flash.

Nevermind...didn't know it had to be downloaded. Too freaking cool! Weird seeing stuff on a cell that you've never seen before.

And think it's only Beta till full release.

Also get TeslaLED  you won't regret it.

Blink Notification - it's the only best thing out so far till Dev get on the "trackball"  Smiley Very Happy

Also check out Launcher Pro as an alternative for the home screen.

Message 9 of 36 (12,679 Views)
Contributor

You'e talking about this ONE SINGLE POST?  This is no complaint...This phone kicks butt...no side loading apps, sure...but thats it...and in a 10 min workaround, you can sideload all the apps you want...

this is BY FAR the best android phone att offers...personally, i think its bettewr than the iphone...certainly with all the bull and red tape apple makes you choke on...and your wallet choke on..lol...this Aria kicks the crap outta apple...I love it

Message 10 of 36 (12,671 Views)
Scholar

ojsabum wrote:

You'e talking about this ONE SINGLE POST?  This is no complaint...This phone kicks butt...no side loading apps, sure...but thats it...and in a 10 min workaround, you can sideload all the apps you want...

this is BY FAR the best android phone att offers...personally, i think its bettewr than the iphone...certainly with all the bull and red tape apple makes you choke on...and your wallet choke on..lol...this Aria kicks the crap outta apple...I love it

That's a pretty serious situation if you can't back your phone up. And I doubt this phone will see the light of day anytime soon with Froyo. And if does how much you want to bet AT&T will turn off the tether option on it? I'm sure it's a great phone. I said the same thing about the backflip. Then I got a hold of my nexus and understood what people were talking about. I wouldn't been able to use Swype cause its a 3rd party app that can't be loaded by the side loading. Little things like that makes a big difference. But this is about Froyo and I hope more people get to enjoy it.
Message 11 of 36 (3,338 Views)
Scholar

Also with Froyo, the voice dialer for blue tooth now works.  Great add on.

Irony - I can see the flash on AT&T wireless homepage with the iPhone 4 ad saying "this changes everything, again"

Message 12 of 36 (3,288 Views)
Voyager

It is an interesting choice people have to make here at AT&T.  I had been waiting for months and gave myself a deadline for the end of june. When the Aria was announced I ordered my N1.  Honestly? I'm really happy with it.

With the galaxy S version being announced, I realize that now there will be a high end device available for ATT so for a lot of people considering an N1, they seemingly don't have to fork out 500+ anymore.  The Galaxy will be a great option but you have to keep something in mind. Everyone has different reasons for getting a smart phone. For me, it was not about just having a high end phone (lets face it, anything you think is high end will be mid-range within a year) but more so a choice about a phone that has longevity.

If you get an N1 -

-you have a device with what will become the standard specs, i.e. 1g processor, 512 ram

-you get the pure version of android, earlier, without bloatware (Froyo as of now, Gingerbread later this year)

-your phone will never be crippled

With a Galaxy or any high end device from ATT

-you will have to wait for the manufacturers to adapt the android OS to their standard which means you will have to wait longer assuming they actually want to revise it (usually they do but to what OS, no one ever knows)

-your phone will be full of crapware, that will always sit there as you replace all those apps with apps you actually want

-crippled phone

Contracts dont really matter because everyone will always have a cell phone if you really come to think of it. Its just comes down to how you value your investment. 500+ for something you can really call "your" phone or a subsidized 200 high end handset, with restrictions, in a contract.

Id rather pay a little more.

On a side note, I do have a beef with my N1. Stupid verizon people cant send me pictures, but just them. On well ;p

Message 13 of 36 (3,185 Views)
Scholar

The inability to load third party apps has been beaten to heck.  Come on folks, just down load the develepers app to your PC and boom, you are side loading all the third party apps you want.  Give it a rest already .....

Message 14 of 36 (3,168 Views)
Scholar

Message 15 of 36 (3,131 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.