Posted Jun 28, 2010
8:30:21 PM
Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.
Edited by davidusr on Jun 28, 2010 at 8:34:34 PM

For those of us with Nexus One's, Android 2.2 (Froyo) has been released by Google for the AT&T banded N1's. I've manually updated mine. Now, to go see what its all about!

Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

[ Edited ]
35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 9:11:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

Froyo is absolutely GREAT.  I been messing around with all the new features as of last night and WOW.  I though 2.1 was something.

PURE FLASH SUPPORT.  And will work in the main browser and also SkyFire and probably any other browser as well.

Mail Exchange Support.

Color Trackball Support look up Blink till something else come avail.

3G is SUPER and I mean SUPER fast.

Apps2SD support depending on the dev activating the feature

And the Speed is WOW!  Definitely puts the 1ghz processor to use.

Touch screen is twice as accurate and better now

only took 10 mins to upgrade compared to 2hrs updating my iPod Touch.

And game play.....

Some apps and widgets had to be resinstalled but no data loss, no contact loss and everything was kept in its place.

landscape is now support on both side now.

LED Flashlight is now supported via App.  Look up TeslaLED

People can have their iOS4.

Re: Android 2.2 (Froyo) is out.

2 of 36 (12,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 10:50:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

Decision made. No more waiting for AT&T to bring out a decent phone. N1 ordered today. Will be here tomorrow.

3 of 36 (12,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 11:15:45 AM
(0)
Guru
Welcome to the 2.2 club. I don't think you'll regret it. I haven't spent any time with my updated N1, but, from reading what ddavi021 wrote, It'll be hard to decide between the N1 and i4 when I leave in the mornings.

4 of 36 (12,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 2:47:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Man I know people are really really hoping that AT&T will drop a high power Android, but you're gonna lose this battle with them.  I love AT&T I'd probably never leaving, but their subsidize phones are boo boo.  Android truly is a OS that is not be stripped of certain services cause one restriction will make several things not work.  Just look at the thread about the Aria having issues.

Remember

Free Navigation

Google Voice

Swype

PTT

Tethering both wifi & hot spot

No Bloatware

Flash

And all this w/o worrying about having AT&T approve a Android OS release.

And when Gingerbread drops whenever it does later towards the end of year, or next year

Man I'm loving the Flash feature.  Still a few rough edges and still in beta, but they accomplished ALOT with the release for mobile devices.

5 of 36 (12,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 6:18:55 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by davidusr on Jun 29, 2010 at 6:40:59 PM

Am I missing something? Flash isn't working for me. Do I need to enable it? I looked in the browser settings but didn't see anything about flash.

Nevermind...didn't know it had to be downloaded. Too freaking cool! Weird seeing stuff on a cell that you've never seen before.

[ Edited ]
6 of 36 (12,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 7:24:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

Which thread is talking about issues with the Aria?

7 of 36 (12,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 7:51:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Rounin wrote:

Which thread is talking about issues with the Aria?

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/AT-T-HTC/Aria-and-Locked-files/td-p/1960389

8 of 36 (12,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 7:55:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:

Am I missing something? Flash isn't working for me. Do I need to enable it? I looked in the browser settings but didn't see anything about flash.

Nevermind...didn't know it had to be downloaded. Too freaking cool! Weird seeing stuff on a cell that you've never seen before.

And think it's only Beta till full release.

Also get TeslaLED  you won't regret it.

Blink Notification - it's the only best thing out so far till Dev get on the "trackball"  :smileyvery-happy:

Also check out Launcher Pro as an alternative for the home screen.

9 of 36 (12,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 8:08:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

You'e talking about this ONE SINGLE POST?  This is no complaint...This phone kicks butt...no side loading apps, sure...but thats it...and in a 10 min workaround, you can sideload all the apps you want...

this is BY FAR the best android phone att offers...personally, i think its bettewr than the iphone...certainly with all the bull and red tape apple makes you choke on...and your wallet choke on..lol...this Aria kicks the crap outta apple...I love it

10 of 36 (12,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 9:55:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

ojsabum wrote:

You'e talking about this ONE SINGLE POST?  This is no complaint...This phone kicks butt...no side loading apps, sure...but thats it...and in a 10 min workaround, you can sideload all the apps you want...

this is BY FAR the best android phone att offers...personally, i think its bettewr than the iphone...certainly with all the bull and red tape apple makes you choke on...and your wallet choke on..lol...this Aria kicks the crap outta apple...I love it

That's a pretty serious situation if you can't back your phone up. And I doubt this phone will see the light of day anytime soon with Froyo. And if does how much you want to bet AT&T will turn off the tether option on it? I'm sure it's a great phone. I said the same thing about the backflip. Then I got a hold of my nexus and understood what people were talking about. I wouldn't been able to use Swype cause its a 3rd party app that can't be loaded by the side loading. Little things like that makes a big difference. But this is about Froyo and I hope more people get to enjoy it.

11 of 36 (3,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 8:33:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

Also with Froyo, the voice dialer for blue tooth now works.  Great add on.

Irony - I can see the flash on AT&T wireless homepage with the iPhone 4 ad saying "this changes everything, again"

12 of 36 (3,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2010 10:04:08 AM
(0)
Voyager

It is an interesting choice people have to make here at AT&T.  I had been waiting for months and gave myself a deadline for the end of june. When the Aria was announced I ordered my N1.  Honestly? I'm really happy with it.

With the galaxy S version being announced, I realize that now there will be a high end device available for ATT so for a lot of people considering an N1, they seemingly don't have to fork out 500+ anymore.  The Galaxy will be a great option but you have to keep something in mind. Everyone has different reasons for getting a smart phone. For me, it was not about just having a high end phone (lets face it, anything you think is high end will be mid-range within a year) but more so a choice about a phone that has longevity.

If you get an N1 -

-you have a device with what will become the standard specs, i.e. 1g processor, 512 ram

-you get the pure version of android, earlier, without bloatware (Froyo as of now, Gingerbread later this year)

-your phone will never be crippled

With a Galaxy or any high end device from ATT

-you will have to wait for the manufacturers to adapt the android OS to their standard which means you will have to wait longer assuming they actually want to revise it (usually they do but to what OS, no one ever knows)

-your phone will be full of crapware, that will always sit there as you replace all those apps with apps you actually want

-crippled phone

Contracts dont really matter because everyone will always have a cell phone if you really come to think of it. Its just comes down to how you value your investment. 500+ for something you can really call "your" phone or a subsidized 200 high end handset, with restrictions, in a contract.

Id rather pay a little more.

On a side note, I do have a beef with my N1. Stupid verizon people cant send me pictures, but just them. On well ;p

13 of 36 (2,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2010 11:24:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

The inability to load third party apps has been beaten to heck.  Come on folks, just down load the develepers app to your PC and boom, you are side loading all the third party apps you want.  Give it a rest already .....

14 of 36 (2,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile

15 of 36 (2,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2010 4:11:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

The inability to load third party apps has been beaten to heck.  Come on folks, just down load the develepers app to your PC and boom, you are side loading all the third party apps you want.  Give it a rest already .....

Hope you don't like Swype then.  Cause you can't download that to your computer unless it's a cracked version.  Swype is download directly to your phone once it recognize that you are using an Android browser.  It won't download using the internet on your computer.  The swype installer then download the app to your phone.  You can't "side" dl this using the computer.

And why do comsumers have to go out their way to load a program they like on the phone.  Not everyone is savy using the SDK.

But whatever works for people I guess.

16 of 36 (2,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

17 of 36 (2,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2010 6:20:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

ddavi021 wrote:

UHmump95 wrote:

Hope you don't like Swype then.  Cause you can't download that to your computer unless it's a cracked version.  Swype is download directly to your phone once it recognize that you are using an Android browser.  It won't download using the internet on your computer.  The swype installer then download the app to your phone.  You can't "side" dl this using the computer.

And why do comsumers have to go out their way to load a program they like on the phone.  Not everyone is savy using the SDK.

Guess you do not know that you can remove your sim and log in using wi-fi and download it.

18 of 36 (2,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 7:38:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

ddavi021 wrote:

As for Swype (which seems sweet) my suggestion would be to get the Samsung Captivate which comes with Swype preloaded.

As for going out of your way to load an app.  Should a person who isn't savvy using the SDK be attempting to load apps from an unknown source?  If you can't download a program and get it to recognize your phone, you should be restricted to someone holding your hand and telling you what you can put on your phone.

19 of 36 (2,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 11:35:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by ddavi021 on Jul 2, 2010 at 11:37:38 AM

The fact is, a person shouldn't be inconvienced to operate their phone the way they want.  10 mins just to download a app?  taking out sims cards turning back on and turning back off and put the sims back in to get a app?  I'm not here to bash anything that is wrong with current Android phones on AT&T.  But I also see a person who never had an Android prior could really understand what they are missing out on. 

Take gameloft for example.  They have games that on their website that are not on the market.  I don't want to be inconvienced just to download a game to my phone from a trusted website.  Like I said prior, I had the backflip.  It was my first Android ever and didn't think it was a big deal, but when I took it back and got the Nexus, it reminded me why I made a promise to never buy an branded phone ever again.  Not everyone is gonna understand how to use the SDK to install 3rd party apps. 

I love everything about 2.2, the flash, the free wi-fi hot spot and tethering, so much.  I assure you that if Galaxy S every sees the light of 2.2 on AT&T, it will have wifi and tethering taken out and replaced with an AT&T bloatware that will be able to charge you for the service like it does the iPhone.

[ Edited ]
20 of 36 (2,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 12:27:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

I guess I figure that if you ain't savvy enough to use the SDK, chances are you are not savvy enough to attempt to download non-market apps.  As I have said before, downloading non-market apps is not a big whoop for me.  If I decide I want to, I will download the SDK and work from there.

Do you get to tether from your N1 and not have to pay the extra $20.00 bucks a month?  If so, I have seen my first majore benefit to getting a N1.

21 of 36 (2,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 1:56:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

UHmump95 wrote:

I guess I figure that if you ain't savvy enough to use the SDK, chances are you are not savvy enough to attempt to download non-market apps.  As I have said before, downloading non-market apps is not a big whoop for me.  If I decide I want to, I will download the SDK and work from there.

Do you get to tether from your N1 and not have to pay the extra $20.00 bucks a month?  If so, I have seen my first majore benefit to getting a N1.

As of now yes.  I haven't seen any TEXT from AT&T telling me I have to change my plan or anything and I'm still on my grandfathered plan.  I don't use it much, hardly ever truth be told, but when I do use it, it's great to know I have it available.  They wifi hotspot is great.  I don't know how many items I can hook up but my lap top and iPod Touch are both working ont he wifi for it. 

22 of 36 (2,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 7:13:40 PM
(0)
Guru
FRF91, an update to Froyo, is out now. It addresses "security" issues in Gmail...if I understood correctly.

23 of 36 (2,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 8:01:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
FRF91, an update to Froyo, is out now. It addresses "security" issues in Gmail...if I understood correctly.

Yeah I installed in manually.  There's also a work around to set all apps to be able to be installed to SD using the SDK.  I set it up and swapped overs apps that weren't tied to widgets or notifications.

24 of 36 (2,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 8:05:20 PM
(0)
Guru
You have a link on how to do it? Also, my nexus wont show up as a drive on my computer when I turn on mass storage. Any ideas on what the probably might be? The phone shows up in devices as an ADB device though.

25 of 36 (2,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 8:11:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
You have a link on how to do it? Also, my nexus wont show up as a drive on my computer when I turn on mass storage. Any ideas on what the probably might be? The phone shows up in devices as an ADB device though.

http://thegreencodeblog.com/2010/06/12/how-to-force-apps-to-move-to-the-sd-card-on-froyo/

Not sure on that.  I'd recmmend rebooting the phone, maybe as much as even taking the SD card out and reinsert it and boot back up again.  Also if you have tethering on, you can't switch to USB mass storage. 

26 of 36 (2,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2010 12:52:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Since I started the "locked files" thread, I should end it.  As usual, XDA Developers has come to the rescue.  The phone is now completely unlocked with no issues.  As a former WM user, there were lots of issues with WM that XDA fixed over the years.  I am no Android guru, but in just a few days, this phone is doing everything I want, much faster than my former ATT Pure, and the software on the Android market is incredible.  Much of it is free, and pretty good quality.  For those apps where you need to make a purchase, the highest price I've seen is $15.  Much lower cost of ownership than WM.

The WM7 ugrade was my last straw.  I figured if I had to get all new applications for compatibility purposes, why not look around.  The Android phone, out of the box, gave me 90% of what I wanted at no additional cost.

Bye Bye WM.

27 of 36 (2,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2010 1:44:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

tomlogan1 wrote:

Since I started the "locked files" thread, I should end it.  As usual, XDA Developers has come to the rescue.  The phone is now completely unlocked with no issues.  As a former WM user, there were lots of issues with WM that XDA fixed over the years.  I am no Android guru, but in just a few days, this phone is doing everything I want, much faster than my former ATT Pure, and the software on the Android market is incredible.  Much of it is free, and pretty good quality.  For those apps where you need to make a purchase, the highest price I've seen is $15.  Much lower cost of ownership than WM.

The WM7 ugrade was my last straw.  I figured if I had to get all new applications for compatibility purposes, why not look around.  The Android phone, out of the box, gave me 90% of what I wanted at no additional cost.

Bye Bye WM.

Welcome to the Droid Side.

28 of 36 (2,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 11:05:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to upload Froyo on the HTC Desire.  I plan on getting one VERY soon.

Thanks

29 of 36 (1,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 11:07:56 AM
(0)
Guru
You'll have to wait for HTC to release 2.2, if you want to stay stock and keep Sense.

30 of 36 (1,965 Views)