Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 17, 2011
9:31:22 AM
View profile
An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

I would like like to submit a common sense ideal to prevent texting and driving.  Now almost every phone has a GPS built into them Why enact a feature that the phone not permit texting receive a text when the GPS senses it moving over 10 MPH. This could be a service provided by subscription to parents or even built into future phones hardware.  In cases the  Person in a moving vehicle  is receiving a text the sender would receive a an auto text stating  the phone is in motion and the receiver will receive the text at a more appropriate time.  

A feature as I am describing would save countless lives and would be socially responsible for your industry to implement.

I would like like to submit a common sense ideal to prevent texting and driving.  Now almost every phone has a GPS built into them Why enact a feature that the phone not permit texting receive a text when the GPS senses it moving over 10 MPH. This could be a service provided by subscription to parents or even built into future phones hardware.  In cases the  Person in a moving vehicle  is receiving a text the sender would receive a an auto text stating  the phone is in motion and the receiver will receive the text at a more appropriate time.  

A feature as I am describing would save countless lives and would be socially responsible for your industry to implement.

An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 11:26:16 AM
(0)
Master

That solution isn't very practical as it would require the GPS to be running all the time which would severely drain the battery.  A lot of phones would be dead within an hour.

Vehicle and Cellular handset manufactures need to work together to create a system where the vehicle while in motion, emits a signal in the vehicle cabin to force all phones in the vehicle to only allow 911 emergency calls.

That solution isn't very practical as it would require the GPS to be running all the time which would severely drain the battery.  A lot of phones would be dead within an hour.

Vehicle and Cellular handset manufactures need to work together to create a system where the vehicle while in motion, emits a signal in the vehicle cabin to force all phones in the vehicle to only allow 911 emergency calls.

Re: An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

2 of 3 (1,284 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 18, 2011 1:32:05 PM
(0)
Employee

Thanks for your post! AT&T currently offers two great apps that address this issue, iZup and tXtBlocker (for BlackBerry devices.) You can check them out at the AT&T AppCenter here http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/ringtones_media/index.jsp

Thanks for your post! AT&T currently offers two great apps that address this issue, iZup and tXtBlocker (for BlackBerry devices.) You can check them out at the AT&T AppCenter here http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/ringtones_media/index.jsp

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

3 of 3 (1,253 Views)