An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

Contributor

An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

I would like like to submit a common sense ideal to prevent texting and driving.  Now almost every phone has a GPS built into them Why enact a feature that the phone not permit texting receive a text when the GPS senses it moving over 10 MPH. This could be a service provided by subscription to parents or even built into future phones hardware.  In cases the  Person in a moving vehicle  is receiving a text the sender would receive a an auto text stating  the phone is in motion and the receiver will receive the text at a more appropriate time.  

A feature as I am describing would save countless lives and would be socially responsible for your industry to implement.

Message 1 of 3 (1,344 Views)
Master

Re: An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

That solution isn't very practical as it would require the GPS to be running all the time which would severely drain the battery.  A lot of phones would be dead within an hour.

Vehicle and Cellular handset manufactures need to work together to create a system where the vehicle while in motion, emits a signal in the vehicle cabin to force all phones in the vehicle to only allow 911 emergency calls.

Message 2 of 3 (1,325 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: An Ideal to prevent teen ( and Some irresponsible adults)texting and driving.

Thanks for your post! AT&T currently offers two great apps that address this issue, iZup and tXtBlocker (for BlackBerry devices.) You can check them out at the AT&T AppCenter here http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/ringtones_media/index.jsp

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 3 (1,294 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.