Amazon Wireless upgrade deal

Contributor

Amazon Wireless upgrade deal

I've found that Amazon Wireless offers huge discount on upgrading (ex: Galaxy Note @$229, HTC One X @$149 w/ no sales tax). While trying to put an order, I noticed that there's no option to keep my current, "grandfathered", unlimited data paln. They only offer 3GB @$30/month or 5GB @$50/month.

I asked this to the guys at XDA forum ans was told that, no matter what I'd select with Amazon, I can revert it back to the unlimited one by directly contacting AT&T within 30 days of purchase.

Could anyone, especially any AT&T employee, please confirm if this is true? Or is there anyone who has been through this situation? I'll greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10 (2,934 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Amazon Wireless upgrade deal

The biggest problem with upgrading with Amazon and some other online retailers, is that they have some extra agreements in their contract so that if you change anything in the first 6 months, it causes a "fee". Read the Amazon contract carefully. Changing the data plan could cause one of those fees and they sometimes can be pricy.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (2,922 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, kdfederer.

If it doesn't break Amazon contract, can I revert 3GB data plan back to the unlimited one?

Message 3 of 10 (2,895 Views)
ACE - Expert

usually not. Once the unlimited plan is off your account, it cannot be put back on.
You may talk to an AT&T rep, but unless you get the promise in writing, I wouldn't depend on it. AT&T is doing whatever they can to discontinue the unlimited data plan.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10 (2,877 Views)

I wouldn't do it if I were you. You run the risk of getting hit with a huge charge from Amazon plus you might lose your plan anyway. It does not help to call and check - Customer Service is notorious for giving wrong information, as anyone who reads the forums learns quickly.
Message 5 of 10 (2,787 Views)
Former Community Manager

If you currently have the unlimited data plan, you are eligible to keep it when you upgrade. That said, kdfederer is right; you may run into some issues if you go through Amazon rather than directly with AT&T. 

If you run into trouble, please let me know so we can help out. You're welcome to send me a private message if you end up not getting your unlimited data. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10 (2,781 Views)
Voyager

This confirmed? Im at this step as well... debating a switch to the One X from an iPhone 4 via Amazon but worried I will lose my unlimited data plan... 

Message 7 of 10 (2,663 Views)
Contributor

Online through third party sites has been a constant issue for as long as its been around, I would suggest going into a store to get your upgrades done because it is very, very likely that you WILL LOSE grandfathered features such as Unlimited Data and at that point you then must ask yourself if it is really infact worth saving $20 on a purchase one time compared to losing a feature FOREVER???

Message 8 of 10 (2,615 Views)
Master

I have to agree with the others, while Jam has offered to help you if there is a problem there are too many stories of unexpected ETF and change fees.  While not true of all the resellers, it may not be worth the savings.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 9 of 10 (2,600 Views)
Voyager

Thanks for the responses. Ya Im leaning that way as well.

Message 10 of 10 (2,493 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.