Amazon Appstore: WHEN will we get access?

Teacher

Amazon Appstore: WHEN will we get access?

I have signed up at http://www.appstoreaccess.com/

Every day, Amazon releases a new app for free. We continue to be left in the dark. "Coming soon" can mean ANYTHING with AT&T. So I want to know:

WHEN will we be allowed to install Amazon Appstore and apps we get through it. 

AND

WHY can't you just allow us to install 3rd party apps on our supposedly "open" Android devices??

Message 1 of 21 (1,886 Views)
Master

Re: Amazon Appstore: WHEN will we get access?

You can currently get around the restrictions by using Android Central's Sideloading Wonder Machine.

For reference
http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Captivate-How-To-Install-Non-Market-Apps/m-p/2721797
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 21 (1,823 Views)
Teacher

That doesn't answer my questions or solve anything - yes, we can sideload; not what I'd call convenient, since Verizon customers can install third party apps.. Like they should- this is Android, it's supposed to be open and accessable AT&T is stifling the phones ability, in both apps and speed. We need to demand that they lift this restriction on not just Amazon-but ALL third party apps. Because not everyone knows - or should have to know - how to sideload.
Message 3 of 21 (1,816 Views)
Master

I don't agree with AT&T's policy either, but they did have a statement "explaining" why on their website when the first android phone was released on their network. I believe it is still there and can be found with some searching. Whether or not the logic in the statement is valid, I still haven't figured it out.
Message 4 of 21 (1,785 Views)
Teacher

It's not valid, no matter what the reason. Just because an app is in the marketplace doesn't mean it's safe; and just because an app is third party doesn't mean it isn't. At&t's policy is simple - if something is convenient for its customers, it's restricted.
Message 5 of 21 (1,776 Views)
Guru

I side loaded the amazon app through ADB with the SDK, and it worked fine. Downloaded AB Rio and couldn't install it because of the restriction...sigh. couldn't find the Rio app on my phone to sideload it. It would be alot easier to just dl to the phone and install.
Message 6 of 21 (1,739 Views)
Professor

davidusr wrote:
I side loaded the amazon app through ADB with the SDK, and it worked fine. Downloaded AB Rio and couldn't install it because of the restriction...sigh. couldn't find the Rio app on my phone to sideload it. It would be alot easier to just dl to the phone and install.

The sdk for the game is on your sd card in sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache.

Message 7 of 21 (1,729 Views)
Teacher

And you shouldn't have to sideload anything - it's a pain and technically, AT&T (your nanny) doesn't want you to. 

You can get to files you download from Amazon Appstore in: \\Phone Root\Android\Data\com.amazon.venezia\cache\  and then your guess is as good as mine. It could be any one of those APK's. I use the sideloader to just pick the most recent one.

But, for the majority of people on AT&T, you are - quite simply - screwed. Sideloadings no fun - there's no reason to restrict it. Consumers do what AT&T wants - not the other way around. 

Again, no reason to restrict third party app installations. Any justification they provide is corporate double talk and rhetoric - they restrict it because they can... and they want you buying AT&T apps, even though they're useless.

Message 8 of 21 (1,731 Views)
Professor

kfaulk211 wrote:

And you shouldn't have to sideload anything - it's a pain and technically, AT&T (your nanny) doesn't want you to. 

You can get to files you download from Amazon Appstore in: \\Phone Root\Android\Data\com.amazon.venezia\cache\  and then your guess is as good as mine. It could be any one of those APK's. I use the sideloader to just pick the most recent one.

But, for the majority of people on AT&T, you are - quite simply - screwed. Sideloadings no fun - there's no reason to restrict it. Consumers do what AT&T wants - not the other way around. 

Again, no reason to restrict third party app installations. Any justification they provide is corporate double talk and rhetoric - they restrict it because they can... and they want you buying AT&T apps, even though they're useless.

I do agree that AT&T shouldn't have this restriction. However, as long as AT&T maintains this, it is unlikely that the ability to download from the Amazon app store will happen. Even though AT&T states they are working on it, unless Amazon agrees to restrict apps at AT&T's request, it is not going to happen. I really don't see Amazon bowing to AT&T, but there is a slim chance they could work something out. The only other option would be for AT&T to route the app through it's servers and filter the apps itself. I'm not sure why AT&T would want to go that route for a market that mostly has the same apps as the Android Market. Amazons method of billing could also be a logistics issue.

Message 9 of 21 (1,727 Views)
Master

Well someone had written another article about the sideloading restrictions.

http://www.androidcentral.com/its-far-past-time-att-allow-non-market-apps-its-phones
Message 10 of 21 (1,511 Views)
Scholar

Btw, Angry Birds Rio is now in the market also
Message 11 of 21 (1,201 Views)
Teacher

So? It's the ad-supported version - Amazon has the full, ad-free version for no charge. Plus Amazon Appstore continues to offer a paid app for free every day... a great deal we miss out on for being AT&T customers. 

I don't care how anyone spins this - access to 3rd party apps is a customer convenience, and AT&T could care less. You tell AT&T they don't care about their customers, and they throw back how lucky we are as their customers to have been bestowed such amazing "4G" phones like the Atrix and the Inspire. They fail to mention that both phones are crippled on a slow network, with HSUPA disabled, and no 3rd party app access which has gone from inconvenient to a rip-off with the introduction of the still-off-limits Amazon Appstore. Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile customers enjoy this access - but fair warning to current T-Mobile customers: once AT&T gobbles you up, say goodbye to the freedom you have with your Android phones.

It's been a few weeks now - where's out access to the Amazon Appstore? I don't see it coming anytime soon. The intention of this thread is mainly to show you how AT&T is ripping you off by locking down their phones and crippling what should be the open and accessable Android platform. 

Now that Verizon offers the iPhone, AT&T should be treating their Android customers a little better... not worse than all its competitors. Get with the program AT&T - we want 3rd party app access - ALL 3rd party app access - or we will look elsewhere. 

Message 12 of 21 (1,189 Views)
Teacher

Still no Amazon Appstore. Still not HSUPA...

My Atrix is like a lightsaber without batteries...

Message 13 of 21 (1,042 Views)
Professor

Seems to me that at&t doesn't care whether or not we get access to the Amazon app store. If at&t cared it would have been fixed by now.

Message 14 of 21 (806 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

kfaulk211 wrote:

Still no Amazon Appstore. Still not HSUPA...

My Atrix is like a lightsaber without batteries...

Did you download and install the latest 1.83 patch?

Message 15 of 21 (774 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.