Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 29, 2011
1:46:19 PM
View profile
Amazon Appstore: WHEN will we get access?

I have signed up at http://www.appstoreaccess.com/

Every day, Amazon releases a new app for free. We continue to be left in the dark. "Coming soon" can mean ANYTHING with AT&T. So I want to know:

WHEN will we be allowed to install Amazon Appstore and apps we get through it. 

AND

WHY can't you just allow us to install 3rd party apps on our supposedly "open" Android devices??

I have signed up at http://www.appstoreaccess.com/

Every day, Amazon releases a new app for free. We continue to be left in the dark. "Coming soon" can mean ANYTHING with AT&T. So I want to know:

WHEN will we be allowed to install Amazon Appstore and apps we get through it. 

AND

WHY can't you just allow us to install 3rd party apps on our supposedly "open" Android devices??

Amazon Appstore: WHEN will we get access?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 7:47:22 PM
(0)
Master
You can currently get around the restrictions by using Android Central's Sideloading Wonder Machine.

For reference
http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Captivate-How-To-Install-Non-Market-Apps/m-p/2721797
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
You can currently get around the restrictions by using Android Central's Sideloading Wonder Machine.

For reference
http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung/Captivate-How-To-Install-Non-Market-Apps/m-p/2721797
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: Amazon Appstore: WHEN will we get access?

2 of 21 (1,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 8:06:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
That doesn't answer my questions or solve anything - yes, we can sideload; not what I'd call convenient, since Verizon customers can install third party apps.. Like they should- this is Android, it's supposed to be open and accessable AT&T is stifling the phones ability, in both apps and speed. We need to demand that they lift this restriction on not just Amazon-but ALL third party apps. Because not everyone knows - or should have to know - how to sideload.
That doesn't answer my questions or solve anything - yes, we can sideload; not what I'd call convenient, since Verizon customers can install third party apps.. Like they should- this is Android, it's supposed to be open and accessable AT&T is stifling the phones ability, in both apps and speed. We need to demand that they lift this restriction on not just Amazon-but ALL third party apps. Because not everyone knows - or should have to know - how to sideload.

3 of 21 (1,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 3:18:59 AM
(0)
Master
I don't agree with AT&T's policy either, but they did have a statement "explaining" why on their website when the first android phone was released on their network. I believe it is still there and can be found with some searching. Whether or not the logic in the statement is valid, I still haven't figured it out.
I don't agree with AT&T's policy either, but they did have a statement "explaining" why on their website when the first android phone was released on their network. I believe it is still there and can be found with some searching. Whether or not the logic in the statement is valid, I still haven't figured it out.

4 of 21 (1,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 4:38:48 AM
(0)
Teacher
It's not valid, no matter what the reason. Just because an app is in the marketplace doesn't mean it's safe; and just because an app is third party doesn't mean it isn't. At&t's policy is simple - if something is convenient for its customers, it's restricted.
It's not valid, no matter what the reason. Just because an app is in the marketplace doesn't mean it's safe; and just because an app is third party doesn't mean it isn't. At&t's policy is simple - if something is convenient for its customers, it's restricted.

5 of 21 (1,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:18:39 AM
(0)
Guru
I side loaded the amazon app through ADB with the SDK, and it worked fine. Downloaded AB Rio and couldn't install it because of the restriction...sigh. couldn't find the Rio app on my phone to sideload it. It would be alot easier to just dl to the phone and install.
I side loaded the amazon app through ADB with the SDK, and it worked fine. Downloaded AB Rio and couldn't install it because of the restriction...sigh. couldn't find the Rio app on my phone to sideload it. It would be alot easier to just dl to the phone and install.

6 of 21 (1,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:25:56 AM
(0)
Professor

davidusr wrote:

The sdk for the game is on your sd card in sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache.

davidusr wrote:

The sdk for the game is on your sd card in sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.venezia/cache.

7 of 21 (1,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:27:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

And you shouldn't have to sideload anything - it's a pain and technically, AT&T (your nanny) doesn't want you to. 

You can get to files you download from Amazon Appstore in: \\Phone Root\Android\Data\com.amazon.venezia\cache\  and then your guess is as good as mine. It could be any one of those APK's. I use the sideloader to just pick the most recent one.

But, for the majority of people on AT&T, you are - quite simply - screwed. Sideloadings no fun - there's no reason to restrict it. Consumers do what AT&T wants - not the other way around. 

Again, no reason to restrict third party app installations. Any justification they provide is corporate double talk and rhetoric - they restrict it because they can... and they want you buying AT&T apps, even though they're useless.

And you shouldn't have to sideload anything - it's a pain and technically, AT&T (your nanny) doesn't want you to. 

You can get to files you download from Amazon Appstore in: \\Phone Root\Android\Data\com.amazon.venezia\cache\  and then your guess is as good as mine. It could be any one of those APK's. I use the sideloader to just pick the most recent one.

But, for the majority of people on AT&T, you are - quite simply - screwed. Sideloadings no fun - there's no reason to restrict it. Consumers do what AT&T wants - not the other way around. 

Again, no reason to restrict third party app installations. Any justification they provide is corporate double talk and rhetoric - they restrict it because they can... and they want you buying AT&T apps, even though they're useless.

8 of 21 (1,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:42:00 AM
(0)
Professor

kfaulk211 wrote:

I do agree that AT&T shouldn't have this restriction. However, as long as AT&T maintains this, it is unlikely that the ability to download from the Amazon app store will happen. Even though AT&T states they are working on it, unless Amazon agrees to restrict apps at AT&T's request, it is not going to happen. I really don't see Amazon bowing to AT&T, but there is a slim chance they could work something out. The only other option would be for AT&T to route the app through it's servers and filter the apps itself. I'm not sure why AT&T would want to go that route for a market that mostly has the same apps as the Android Market. Amazons method of billing could also be a logistics issue.

kfaulk211 wrote:

I do agree that AT&T shouldn't have this restriction. However, as long as AT&T maintains this, it is unlikely that the ability to download from the Amazon app store will happen. Even though AT&T states they are working on it, unless Amazon agrees to restrict apps at AT&T's request, it is not going to happen. I really don't see Amazon bowing to AT&T, but there is a slim chance they could work something out. The only other option would be for AT&T to route the app through it's servers and filter the apps itself. I'm not sure why AT&T would want to go that route for a market that mostly has the same apps as the Android Market. Amazons method of billing could also be a logistics issue.

9 of 21 (1,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 3:15:24 PM
(0)
Master
Well someone had written another article about the sideloading restrictions.

http://www.androidcentral.com/its-far-past-time-att-allow-non-market-apps-its-phones
Well someone had written another article about the sideloading restrictions.

http://www.androidcentral.com/its-far-past-time-att-allow-non-market-apps-its-phones

10 of 21 (1,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 7:09:11 PM
(0)
Scholar
Btw, Angry Birds Rio is now in the market also
Btw, Angry Birds Rio is now in the market also

11 of 21 (1,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 8:11:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

So? It's the ad-supported version - Amazon has the full, ad-free version for no charge. Plus Amazon Appstore continues to offer a paid app for free every day... a great deal we miss out on for being AT&T customers. 

I don't care how anyone spins this - access to 3rd party apps is a customer convenience, and AT&T could care less. You tell AT&T they don't care about their customers, and they throw back how lucky we are as their customers to have been bestowed such amazing "4G" phones like the Atrix and the Inspire. They fail to mention that both phones are crippled on a slow network, with HSUPA disabled, and no 3rd party app access which has gone from inconvenient to a rip-off with the introduction of the still-off-limits Amazon Appstore. Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile customers enjoy this access - but fair warning to current T-Mobile customers: once AT&T gobbles you up, say goodbye to the freedom you have with your Android phones.

It's been a few weeks now - where's out access to the Amazon Appstore? I don't see it coming anytime soon. The intention of this thread is mainly to show you how AT&T is ripping you off by locking down their phones and crippling what should be the open and accessable Android platform. 

Now that Verizon offers the iPhone, AT&T should be treating their Android customers a little better... not worse than all its competitors. Get with the program AT&T - we want 3rd party app access - ALL 3rd party app access - or we will look elsewhere. 

So? It's the ad-supported version - Amazon has the full, ad-free version for no charge. Plus Amazon Appstore continues to offer a paid app for free every day... a great deal we miss out on for being AT&T customers. 

I don't care how anyone spins this - access to 3rd party apps is a customer convenience, and AT&T could care less. You tell AT&T they don't care about their customers, and they throw back how lucky we are as their customers to have been bestowed such amazing "4G" phones like the Atrix and the Inspire. They fail to mention that both phones are crippled on a slow network, with HSUPA disabled, and no 3rd party app access which has gone from inconvenient to a rip-off with the introduction of the still-off-limits Amazon Appstore. Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile customers enjoy this access - but fair warning to current T-Mobile customers: once AT&T gobbles you up, say goodbye to the freedom you have with your Android phones.

It's been a few weeks now - where's out access to the Amazon Appstore? I don't see it coming anytime soon. The intention of this thread is mainly to show you how AT&T is ripping you off by locking down their phones and crippling what should be the open and accessable Android platform. 

Now that Verizon offers the iPhone, AT&T should be treating their Android customers a little better... not worse than all its competitors. Get with the program AT&T - we want 3rd party app access - ALL 3rd party app access - or we will look elsewhere. 

12 of 21 (1,162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2011 1:47:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Still no Amazon Appstore. Still not HSUPA...

My Atrix is like a lightsaber without batteries...

13 of 21 (1,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2011 5:48:16 AM
(0)
Professor

Seems to me that at&t doesn't care whether or not we get access to the Amazon app store. If at&t cared it would have been fixed by now.

Seems to me that at&t doesn't care whether or not we get access to the Amazon app store. If at&t cared it would have been fixed by now.

14 of 21 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 5:26:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Rounin on May 13, 2011 at 5:26:44 AM

kfaulk211 wrote:

Did you download and install the latest 1.83 patch?

kfaulk211 wrote:

Did you download and install the latest 1.83 patch?

[ Edited ]
15 of 21 (747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 5:44:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, now HSUPA is enabled and my speeds are... slightly better. Nothing to jump up and down over. 4G, 5G, 12G... AT&T can just call it whatever it wants to I guess.

As for the Amazon Appstore - still blocked on the Atrix.

Yes, now HSUPA is enabled and my speeds are... slightly better. Nothing to jump up and down over. 4G, 5G, 12G... AT&T can just call it whatever it wants to I guess.

As for the Amazon Appstore - still blocked on the Atrix.

16 of 21 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

17 of 21 (718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 4:15:53 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by katieeighty on May 13, 2011 at 5:09:06 PM

Well, well, well... AT&T is finally going to stop being such a {inappropriate language removed}.

It's laughable that their reasoning behind only allowing Marketplace downloads "reduces the likelihood of malicious apps being downloaded." Was it not long ago that hundreds of apps had to be removed from the Marketplace for being malicious? Of course - Android is an open platform for development. This isn't Apple, and that's why we like Android - it is the Apple alternative - and we accept those risks. Yet AT&T had to force on its paying customers its own restrictions - as well-intentioned as their marketing makes it seem, I suspect it's about making more money for them and little else. That's why my Marketplace app has an "AT&T" section full of lame and worthless apps. 

Unfortunately, I do not have an HTC Inspire, HTC Aria or Samsung Captivate. Still no word on the Atrix it seems despite being their flagship Android device. I will look forward to having the handcuffs removed from my phone - until then, I'm not ready to go patting AT&T on the back. 

Well, well, well... AT&T is finally going to stop being such a {inappropriate language removed}.

It's laughable that their reasoning behind only allowing Marketplace downloads "reduces the likelihood of malicious apps being downloaded." Was it not long ago that hundreds of apps had to be removed from the Marketplace for being malicious? Of course - Android is an open platform for development. This isn't Apple, and that's why we like Android - it is the Apple alternative - and we accept those risks. Yet AT&T had to force on its paying customers its own restrictions - as well-intentioned as their marketing makes it seem, I suspect it's about making more money for them and little else. That's why my Marketplace app has an "AT&T" section full of lame and worthless apps. 

Unfortunately, I do not have an HTC Inspire, HTC Aria or Samsung Captivate. Still no word on the Atrix it seems despite being their flagship Android device. I will look forward to having the handcuffs removed from my phone - until then, I'm not ready to go patting AT&T on the back. 

[ Edited ]
18 of 21 (717 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2011 6:33:30 PM
(0)
Master
Thank you, sitnsidewayz, for posting that link. Now if only the information was posted in the main wireless forum.
Thank you, sitnsidewayz, for posting that link. Now if only the information was posted in the main wireless forum.

19 of 21 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 2:35:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

Amazon App store works for 4 ATT phones, none of which i have. I have the Motorola Atrix. I called ATT customer support 6/18/11 @ 4:06 pm. spoke to Tyler who sounded like he was mentally challenged, alot of ums , uhs, and other useless sounds that offered me no assistance. 

I explained in clear english that the purpose of my call is to access the amazon app store. 

With no resolution, I request to speak to a supervisor . I am then transferred to what is level 2 support where Ispeak to Carlos, whom is not a supervisor just merely a tech support employee.

Again, in plain english, and for the record, i do not have a lisp, I do not stutter, nor have any type of speech defect. I explain the purpose of the call and we go through the same routine. Does the texting work, do you have internet, shut  the wifi, wtc...

Then I am told that ATT does not offer support to third part applications and Carlos advises me to contact amazon. Now here is my problem. ATT is my phone provider, and I pay them $160 a month. ATT is to provide me the support needed to transfer data. THAT IS THE ISSUE HERE . I AM UNABLE TO RECEIVE DATA,  NO MATTER WHO IT IS FROM. THIS IS ATT RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE ME- THE CUSTOMER , TECHNICAL SUPPORT SO I CAN RECEIVE DATA.

Now I see Carlos doesnt want to do his job, so again, I request to speak to a supervisor and that is when he wants to help me. IT seems as he did try to help me, as I am still on the phone with him as i type this. After speaking for 45 minutes, and him consulting the third tier support, 

it has been deemed that ATT is unable to "PUSH UNKOWN SOURCES " into my phone at this time and I should turn my phone off and wait a few days, if it does not go through, call back .

Now I see this person is helping me somewhat, but for me as the customer. to be paying 170$ a month for inadequate services is truly sickening. 

ATT truly does not live up to its reputation. I truly believe I have made a mistake to continue business with this company and am going to seek legal advise regarding my situation. 

ATT is not honoring their required support of this contract that I agreed to and is clearly in violation.  

In closing, time now is 5:30 pm est. time- the update is in a que bin, not being sent out, my issue is not resolved and a commitment resolution callback has been established. 

Also- I request a Tracking number and am told there is none for this type of case, however Carlos will add this to my account notes. He did send me a text that contained some numbers and codes. but clearly is useless to me. 

ABSOLUTELY USELESS. 

THANKS FOR NOTHING ATT WIRELESS. 

TO BE CONTINUED..........................................................................

Amazon App store works for 4 ATT phones, none of which i have. I have the Motorola Atrix. I called ATT customer support 6/18/11 @ 4:06 pm. spoke to Tyler who sounded like he was mentally challenged, alot of ums , uhs, and other useless sounds that offered me no assistance. 

I explained in clear english that the purpose of my call is to access the amazon app store. 

With no resolution, I request to speak to a supervisor . I am then transferred to what is level 2 support where Ispeak to Carlos, whom is not a supervisor just merely a tech support employee.

Again, in plain english, and for the record, i do not have a lisp, I do not stutter, nor have any type of speech defect. I explain the purpose of the call and we go through the same routine. Does the texting work, do you have internet, shut  the wifi, wtc...

Then I am told that ATT does not offer support to third part applications and Carlos advises me to contact amazon. Now here is my problem. ATT is my phone provider, and I pay them $160 a month. ATT is to provide me the support needed to transfer data. THAT IS THE ISSUE HERE . I AM UNABLE TO RECEIVE DATA,  NO MATTER WHO IT IS FROM. THIS IS ATT RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE ME- THE CUSTOMER , TECHNICAL SUPPORT SO I CAN RECEIVE DATA.

Now I see Carlos doesnt want to do his job, so again, I request to speak to a supervisor and that is when he wants to help me. IT seems as he did try to help me, as I am still on the phone with him as i type this. After speaking for 45 minutes, and him consulting the third tier support, 

it has been deemed that ATT is unable to "PUSH UNKOWN SOURCES " into my phone at this time and I should turn my phone off and wait a few days, if it does not go through, call back .

Now I see this person is helping me somewhat, but for me as the customer. to be paying 170$ a month for inadequate services is truly sickening. 

ATT truly does not live up to its reputation. I truly believe I have made a mistake to continue business with this company and am going to seek legal advise regarding my situation. 

ATT is not honoring their required support of this contract that I agreed to and is clearly in violation.  

In closing, time now is 5:30 pm est. time- the update is in a que bin, not being sent out, my issue is not resolved and a commitment resolution callback has been established. 

Also- I request a Tracking number and am told there is none for this type of case, however Carlos will add this to my account notes. He did send me a text that contained some numbers and codes. but clearly is useless to me. 

ABSOLUTELY USELESS. 

THANKS FOR NOTHING ATT WIRELESS. 

TO BE CONTINUED..........................................................................

20 of 21 (447 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2011 3:45:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have learned long ago that getting common sense support from AT&T is impossible - whether it's over the phone, chat or in-store. Their employees don't know anything about individual handsets. The only thing they know about is service, and that's very generic. The fact that AT&T supports different features on one phone than they do on another is completely lost on all of them. I know, just by reading blogs like Android Central and Gizmodo, that I know more about AT&T phones than probably any individual working in a customer service or technical support capacity for AT&T. I'm not sure if it's ignorance, stupidity or that no one cares. I do know that at least part of AT&T's intention is that the customer has as little knowledge as possible, making it easier for them to manipulate the way we purchase service from them. 

Android has been a mess for a while because OEM's (like Motorola) and carriers (like AT&T) are gunning for the most money as possible. The market is getting saturated, new phones are coming out every five minutes, and the latest and greatest is all but a relec of the past in a mere 6 months - and that's on top of requiring 2 years before offering a discount on a new phone. No wonder Apple has so much success with the iPhone... at least it's not a constant struggle to get updates and support for an outdated phone that had fifty new versions released within a year. 

So here's the gist of it - AT&t has finally succumbed to the pressures of its users and Amazon, and is (while holding its nose) enabling third-party downloads on all handsets going forward. They're also giving the capability to some older phones via manufacturer updates. So what about the Atrix? Some articles have claimed that the Atrix will receive third-party download ability, but it's waiting on an update from Motorola. This is where everything gets very secretive - we don't know what any of that means. It's all part of keeping consumers in the dark as much as possible. The less we know, the more crap they can get away with. 

The prevailing theory on the Atrix is that a "promised" update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is upcoming in June or July (it's almost end of June so don't hold your breath yet at least). At the time of this update, it's expected that the Atrix will receive thrid-party app access. 

But until then - who knows. Certainly not even one, single individual that works for AT&T. And if they do know, they won't tell you. They're just ask you to restart it... over and over and over and over....

I have learned long ago that getting common sense support from AT&T is impossible - whether it's over the phone, chat or in-store. Their employees don't know anything about individual handsets. The only thing they know about is service, and that's very generic. The fact that AT&T supports different features on one phone than they do on another is completely lost on all of them. I know, just by reading blogs like Android Central and Gizmodo, that I know more about AT&T phones than probably any individual working in a customer service or technical support capacity for AT&T. I'm not sure if it's ignorance, stupidity or that no one cares. I do know that at least part of AT&T's intention is that the customer has as little knowledge as possible, making it easier for them to manipulate the way we purchase service from them. 

Android has been a mess for a while because OEM's (like Motorola) and carriers (like AT&T) are gunning for the most money as possible. The market is getting saturated, new phones are coming out every five minutes, and the latest and greatest is all but a relec of the past in a mere 6 months - and that's on top of requiring 2 years before offering a discount on a new phone. No wonder Apple has so much success with the iPhone... at least it's not a constant struggle to get updates and support for an outdated phone that had fifty new versions released within a year. 

So here's the gist of it - AT&t has finally succumbed to the pressures of its users and Amazon, and is (while holding its nose) enabling third-party downloads on all handsets going forward. They're also giving the capability to some older phones via manufacturer updates. So what about the Atrix? Some articles have claimed that the Atrix will receive third-party download ability, but it's waiting on an update from Motorola. This is where everything gets very secretive - we don't know what any of that means. It's all part of keeping consumers in the dark as much as possible. The less we know, the more crap they can get away with. 

The prevailing theory on the Atrix is that a "promised" update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) is upcoming in June or July (it's almost end of June so don't hold your breath yet at least). At the time of this update, it's expected that the Atrix will receive thrid-party app access. 

But until then - who knows. Certainly not even one, single individual that works for AT&T. And if they do know, they won't tell you. They're just ask you to restart it... over and over and over and over....

21 of 21 (463 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments