Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 21, 2011
8:21:01 PM
View profile
Amazon App Store

As those of us that own Android devices, we are painfully aware of AT&T being the *only* carrier to restrict direct download and installation of third party(Non Market)apps.  With Amazon opening up their own app market very soon, can we get an official statement from AT&T regarding the availability of the Amazon App Store for our Android devices?  As I understand how the Amazon store will work, it may be impossible to side load these apps, including the much awaited and anticipated Angry Birds Rio, using the conventional methods.  Is AT&T aware there are users that will root their phones just to be able to make the most of their devices?

How is AT&T to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance

As those of us that own Android devices, we are painfully aware of AT&T being the *only* carrier to restrict direct download and installation of third party(Non Market)apps.  With Amazon opening up their own app market very soon, can we get an official statement from AT&T regarding the availability of the Amazon App Store for our Android devices?  As I understand how the Amazon store will work, it may be impossible to side load these apps, including the much awaited and anticipated Angry Birds Rio, using the conventional methods.  Is AT&T aware there are users that will root their phones just to be able to make the most of their devices?

How is AT&T to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance

Amazon App Store

58 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(58)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:45:01 AM
(0)
Employee

This issue has been going on for a while. Gameloft offers most of their games directly through their website and can't be used on AT&T Android devices. 

This issue has been going on for a while. Gameloft offers most of their games directly through their website and can't be used on AT&T Android devices. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Amazon App Store

2 of 59 (8,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 6:59:57 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sucks royally.  The Appstore was released today along with the chance of getting Angry Birds Rio for free and of course we're left out in the cold because of AT&T's asinine policies.

Sucks royally.  The Appstore was released today along with the chance of getting Angry Birds Rio for free and of course we're left out in the cold because of AT&T's asinine policies.

3 of 59 (8,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:52:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sideload Wonder Machine will allow you to install the Amazon App store as well as Angry Birds Rio.

Sideload Wonder Machine will allow you to install the Amazon App store as well as Angry Birds Rio.

4 of 59 (8,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:09:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

Agreed - This issue hopefully will be resolved soon because it is another case where AT&T is not focused on their customers satisfaction to allow for all open applications to run on Android.  I feel like they are slightly blinded by the iPhone and have not fully put enough business support into making sure the Android platform is as robust as Verizon and some of the other carriers. 

This is coming from an Android user who switched from Verizon to AT&T to get the new Atrix 4G.  Please post a software update soon to allow for Amazon Appstore access on AT&T Android phones.

Agreed - This issue hopefully will be resolved soon because it is another case where AT&T is not focused on their customers satisfaction to allow for all open applications to run on Android.  I feel like they are slightly blinded by the iPhone and have not fully put enough business support into making sure the Android platform is as robust as Verizon and some of the other carriers. 

This is coming from an Android user who switched from Verizon to AT&T to get the new Atrix 4G.  Please post a software update soon to allow for Amazon Appstore access on AT&T Android phones.

5 of 59 (8,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:06:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hurricane Andrew wrote:

How are you able to use the SWM to install Angry Birds Rio?  I installed the App store since Amazon provides you with the Amazon_Appstore-release.apk using SWM, but once you run the Amazon App and try to install the free Angry Birds Rio from within the Amazon App I get the message:

"Security Warning: This application comes from an unknown source, and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed."

Hurricane Andrew wrote:

How are you able to use the SWM to install Angry Birds Rio?  I installed the App store since Amazon provides you with the Amazon_Appstore-release.apk using SWM, but once you run the Amazon App and try to install the free Angry Birds Rio from within the Amazon App I get the message:

"Security Warning: This application comes from an unknown source, and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed."

6 of 59 (7,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:45:20 AM
(0)
Professor

jreedar wrote:

Hurricane Andrew wrote:

Xda-developers forums have some topics that discuss ways to get around this message.

jreedar wrote:

Hurricane Andrew wrote:

Xda-developers forums have some topics that discuss ways to get around this message.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

7 of 59 (7,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:48:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

You have to find the apk that Amazon downloads to your phone and use SWM to install that as well.  It had a wierd name, like nvezia.apk, or something along those lines...

You have to find the apk that Amazon downloads to your phone and use SWM to install that as well.  It had a wierd name, like nvezia.apk, or something along those lines...

8 of 59 (7,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 12:57:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ctrail517 on Mar 22, 2011 at 12:58:32 PM

How do i find this so i can download it using swm?

i got angry birds ri0 downloaded i just can get the amazon app market to download...any tips?

How do i find this so i can download it using swm?

i got angry birds ri0 downloaded i just can get the amazon app market to download...any tips?

[ Edited ]
9 of 59 (7,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 1:12:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

What I did was I went to Amazon's web based app market.  Entered my phone # and they sent me a text with the download link to the Amazon market.  Of course APK didn't install.  Mounted my phone on my pc as USB storage and searched for the APK.  Copied it to my PC and used SWM to install it.  Unmounted my phone.

Next, I went to Amazon's app market on my pc and ordered Rio.  Of course, the APK would not install.  After it failed, I again mounted phone on pc as usb storage, and searched for the download RIO app, which as I mentioned had a funky name.  I then copied that file to my pc and again used SWM to install it.

What I did was I went to Amazon's web based app market.  Entered my phone # and they sent me a text with the download link to the Amazon market.  Of course APK didn't install.  Mounted my phone on my pc as USB storage and searched for the APK.  Copied it to my PC and used SWM to install it.  Unmounted my phone.

Next, I went to Amazon's app market on my pc and ordered Rio.  Of course, the APK would not install.  After it failed, I again mounted phone on pc as usb storage, and searched for the download RIO app, which as I mentioned had a funky name.  I then copied that file to my pc and again used SWM to install it.

10 of 59 (7,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:01:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was excited to read the news today about the Amazon App store being launched.  Because I have trusted Amazon.com for I don't know how many years so far  I rushed right over to Amazon.com so I could read more and saw I could download the app.  After the application failed to install I was amazed to read that little asterisk in the installation instructions about *AT&T is not participating / not allowing their customers to use this application.  Now Angry Birds Rio which is Free to everyone else today except for us it is out of reach.  I can't believe AT&T is shafting its customers like this - first they dragged the Froyo release for Samsung Captivate and now no support of the Amazon App store. 

Now I know why AT&T is buying out T-Mobile - I think that is the only way they can increase their customer base at this point. 

I don't want to root my phone because I know I will screw something up.  I ditched my iPhone on AT&T because of dropped calls and decided to give AT&T a shot with the Samsung Captivate Android device and now again AT&T finds a way to tick me off.  My wife's iPhone contract on AT&T is up in October (and she hates her iPhone) so I guess I will now use that as my new jumping off point in order to get away from AT&T. 

AT&T better get ther act together very fast.

I was excited to read the news today about the Amazon App store being launched.  Because I have trusted Amazon.com for I don't know how many years so far  I rushed right over to Amazon.com so I could read more and saw I could download the app.  After the application failed to install I was amazed to read that little asterisk in the installation instructions about *AT&T is not participating / not allowing their customers to use this application.  Now Angry Birds Rio which is Free to everyone else today except for us it is out of reach.  I can't believe AT&T is shafting its customers like this - first they dragged the Froyo release for Samsung Captivate and now no support of the Amazon App store. 

Now I know why AT&T is buying out T-Mobile - I think that is the only way they can increase their customer base at this point. 

I don't want to root my phone because I know I will screw something up.  I ditched my iPhone on AT&T because of dropped calls and decided to give AT&T a shot with the Samsung Captivate Android device and now again AT&T finds a way to tick me off.  My wife's iPhone contract on AT&T is up in October (and she hates her iPhone) so I guess I will now use that as my new jumping off point in order to get away from AT&T. 

AT&T better get ther act together very fast.

11 of 59 (3,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:13:24 PM
(0)
Professor
AT&T these days, tsk, tssk, tsk....
AT&T these days, tsk, tssk, tsk....

12 of 59 (3,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:21:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You've got to be kidding? AT&T customers are not "eligible"? That's a rip-off. Surely I would want to download Angry Birds Rio as the Angry Birds series is my favorite app-game. I wonder if it's on the Apple App Store...

Once again, I suppose we are left in the dust amongst all of our friends who have different carriers rubbing it in our faces...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

You've got to be kidding? AT&T customers are not "eligible"? That's a rip-off. Surely I would want to download Angry Birds Rio as the Angry Birds series is my favorite app-game. I wonder if it's on the Apple App Store...

Once again, I suppose we are left in the dust amongst all of our friends who have different carriers rubbing it in our faces...

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 59 (3,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:37:17 PM
(0)
Professor
Might have to go over to the xda developers forum. Theres steps to open up our phones to accept sideloading. My phone have a setting to accept "unauthorized" apps.
Might have to go over to the xda developers forum. Theres steps to open up our phones to accept sideloading. My phone have a setting to accept "unauthorized" apps.

14 of 59 (3,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:39:16 PM
(0)
Voyager

T-mobile customers can get it.  I am sure they are happy they are not under the ATT banner yet being blocked.

T-mobile customers can get it.  I am sure they are happy they are not under the ATT banner yet being blocked.

15 of 59 (3,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:52:16 PM
(0)
Professor
Check out Android Central's " Sideloading Wonder Machine ". The free legal way to sideload on an AT&T phone.

I haven't tried it myself, but at the moment I don't need to use. My active phone even when it wasn't rooted allowed the sideloading.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
Check out Android Central's " Sideloading Wonder Machine ". The free legal way to sideload on an AT&T phone.

I haven't tried it myself, but at the moment I don't need to use. My active phone even when it wasn't rooted allowed the sideloading.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

16 of 59 (3,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:01:00 PM
(0)
Professor
I just installed a free app from amazonappstore. I went to settings on the phone then checked the option to load unauth apps. It works
I just installed a free app from amazonappstore. I went to settings on the phone then checked the option to load unauth apps. It works

17 of 59 (3,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:08:36 PM
(0)
Professor
Well, RicoLX, the HTC Aria, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, all the Motorola's android phones with AT&T have that option disabled. At least until the owner takes the plunge and voids the warranty by rooting the phone.

Your Dell Streak is one luck phone to have escaped that "little" restriction.

My free unactivated HTC Aria isn't so lucky.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
Well, RicoLX, the HTC Aria, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, all the Motorola's android phones with AT&T have that option disabled. At least until the owner takes the plunge and voids the warranty by rooting the phone.

Your Dell Streak is one luck phone to have escaped that "little" restriction.

My free unactivated HTC Aria isn't so lucky.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

18 of 59 (3,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 10:17:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by gleason on Mar 22, 2011 at 10:18:43 PM

Has there been an official statement from AT&T?  I know there's that signup page linked from Amazon saying they're "working on it."  But they've really had more than enough time to work on this. Amazon's app store wasn't a last-minute surprise. It seems sometimes like AT&T doesnt even want to keep customers--they can't be this bad at it.  And right at the same time that it turns out their new HSPA+ ("4G") phones have firmware blocking HSUPA.

AT&T customer since 2004 and it's getting harder and harder not to switch to Verizon. I'm out of contract and this might be the last straw.

Has there been an official statement from AT&T?  I know there's that signup page linked from Amazon saying they're "working on it."  But they've really had more than enough time to work on this. Amazon's app store wasn't a last-minute surprise. It seems sometimes like AT&T doesnt even want to keep customers--they can't be this bad at it.  And right at the same time that it turns out their new HSPA+ ("4G") phones have firmware blocking HSUPA.

AT&T customer since 2004 and it's getting harder and harder not to switch to Verizon. I'm out of contract and this might be the last straw.

[ Edited ]
19 of 59 (3,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 9:08:51 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks Andrew! This worked perfectly for me! It's a lot of extra steps, but AT&T should know that users will always find ways around things.
Thanks Andrew! This worked perfectly for me! It's a lot of extra steps, but AT&T should know that users will always find ways around things.

20 of 59 (3,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 10:29:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey bud!  I followed all your steps and got to the point where I was using the Wonder Machine to install the Rio app onto my phone using the funky named apk file that i copied onto my laptop from my Captivate.  For some reason though, the Wonder Machine is popping up with this notification when I select the file and hit "OK" when it tells me that its ready to  install:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immidiately."  Below that, it reads: "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\payload\to_install.apk'." 

The apk file for (what I think is) Rio is on my desktop and I even tried re-downloading it on my phone and copying it over again, but the notification keeps popping up and hitting continue does absolutely nothing.  Sorry that you had to read this novel in order to help, but I'd really appreciate it if you know whats going on!

Hey bud!  I followed all your steps and got to the point where I was using the Wonder Machine to install the Rio app onto my phone using the funky named apk file that i copied onto my laptop from my Captivate.  For some reason though, the Wonder Machine is popping up with this notification when I select the file and hit "OK" when it tells me that its ready to  install:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immidiately."  Below that, it reads: "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\payload\to_install.apk'." 

The apk file for (what I think is) Rio is on my desktop and I even tried re-downloading it on my phone and copying it over again, but the notification keeps popping up and hitting continue does absolutely nothing.  Sorry that you had to read this novel in order to help, but I'd really appreciate it if you know whats going on!

21 of 59 (2,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 11:20:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Nevermind!  Haha I realized that I had to access the folder with the Wonder Machine in it from unzipping what I downloaded, I moved it to my desktop and the files didn't stay together which causes it not to work.  Thanks for your helpful posts from earlier!  Now happily playing Angry Birds Rio on my Captivate :smileyvery-happy:

Nevermind!  Haha I realized that I had to access the folder with the Wonder Machine in it from unzipping what I downloaded, I moved it to my desktop and the files didn't stay together which causes it not to work.  Thanks for your helpful posts from earlier!  Now happily playing Angry Birds Rio on my Captivate :smileyvery-happy:

22 of 59 (2,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 3:27:32 AM
(0)
Professor

Hey Wild BAnchi: vacations coming up in just two more days buddy! Hows your install of Wild and Angry Birds! lol  Looks like AlexAndAHalf (any relation to 2.5 men??) got it installed on his Captivate!  I bet he could walk u  thru it on your captivate!  now  THAT would deserve a Koodo for AlexAndAhalf (simile)

Hey Wild BAnchi: vacations coming up in just two more days buddy! Hows your install of Wild and Angry Birds! lol  Looks like AlexAndAHalf (any relation to 2.5 men??) got it installed on his Captivate!  I bet he could walk u  thru it on your captivate!  now  THAT would deserve a Koodo for AlexAndAhalf (simile)

23 of 59 (2,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 3:55:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

RicoLX wrote:

We leave tomorrow morning. :smileyvery-happy: But good news - I just checked the App Store on my Touch, and Angry Birds Rio was there, the first one listed, for FREE! I downloaded it, and have yet to test it out.

To get it on my Captivate, there's an app in the Android Market called "DoubleTwist" that can sync music and apps from an iPod to a phone, like my Captivate. If I do plan on getting Angry Birds on my phone, I think I will do it that way. I hope it is fairly simple...

RicoLX wrote:

We leave tomorrow morning. :smileyvery-happy: But good news - I just checked the App Store on my Touch, and Angry Birds Rio was there, the first one listed, for FREE! I downloaded it, and have yet to test it out.

To get it on my Captivate, there's an app in the Android Market called "DoubleTwist" that can sync music and apps from an iPod to a phone, like my Captivate. If I do plan on getting Angry Birds on my phone, I think I will do it that way. I hope it is fairly simple...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

24 of 59 (2,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 4:30:53 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:34:22 AM

Way cool! Glad you have it loaded! Thatll be fun to have on the road. Yep you can get it on the Captivate too. SAM will have fun with it offline when in sleepmode and even more fun when you log on to play it. Enjoy that trip and bring us all back a 'virtual' pet rock souvenier!

Way cool! Glad you have it loaded! Thatll be fun to have on the road. Yep you can get it on the Captivate too. SAM will have fun with it offline when in sleepmode and even more fun when you log on to play it. Enjoy that trip and bring us all back a 'virtual' pet rock souvenier!

[ Edited ]
25 of 59 (2,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 4:57:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

RicoLX wrote:

Don't worry, I will! :smileywink: And I can't wait to start playing it. It's just too bad that AT&T does not allow its customers to directly download Angry Birds Rio/other apps from the Amazon App Store. I wonder why that is...?

RicoLX wrote:

Don't worry, I will! :smileywink: And I can't wait to start playing it. It's just too bad that AT&T does not allow its customers to directly download Angry Birds Rio/other apps from the Amazon App Store. I wonder why that is...?

26 of 59 (2,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 5:07:23 AM
(0)
Professor
Oh, I meant to say that I did download onto the phone. Its got a menu option to permit unauth app installation. Dont know if this is bcause the fone is from Dell and not thru ATT catalog. Got dell logo and no att logo stamp. But I likes me ATT
Oh, I meant to say that I did download onto the phone. Its got a menu option to permit unauth app installation. Dont know if this is bcause the fone is from Dell and not thru ATT catalog. Got dell logo and no att logo stamp. But I likes me ATT

27 of 59 (2,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 7:58:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

cmore707 wrote:

Glad to help!  I love the Android paltform :smileywink:

cmore707 wrote:

Glad to help!  I love the Android paltform :smileywink:

28 of 59 (2,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 7:59:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

AlexAndAHalf wrote:

Glad to help!

AlexAndAHalf wrote:

Glad to help!

29 of 59 (2,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 11:59:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

@ Wild Banchi,

I have doubletwist and while it can synch items fairly well, the issue is when you go to install them on your phone.  The problem is getting an app on the phone is easy, installing it is painstaking.  Yes the SWM from Androidcentral is great(Helped me beta test Firefox while it was still a Fennec candidate), and yes someone at XDA or Androidcentral is probably working on a way to Device Sideload as opposed to using the ADB bridge from a laptop/desktop.

@Rico, glad to see the oversight!

@AT&T  I actually agree, installation of non market apps is risky and potentially hazardous to your customers, and you have made a decision in the best interests of you and doubtlessly your woefully underpaid sales reps at local AT&T stores to reduce the chance of long lines of unhappy customers bricking their phones, or worse thefts stealing sensitive information from your users.

I appreciate the concern from AT&T and about a year from now 30 or so million T-Mobile users.  However, isn't a better option to be able to sign a waiver at purchase not holding AT&T, in my case Samsung, and Google accountable of getting a fresh out of the box Rooted, Non-Market enabled, SSL code accepting Android device?  

In a world of increasing competition, AT&T has to realize Amazon, although *not* the first app market that isn't Google, there will be more.  For my money, I'm not trusting of these other app markets, but I sure am of, if say Best Buy came out with their own too, I'd want a piece of that pie.

Maybe the secondary solution if AT&T really loves Apple is have an iTunes like PC launcher which is multiple market enabled which a user can plug their phone into, check an app out, and synch between multiple markets with a single key stroke...

@ Wild Banchi,

I have doubletwist and while it can synch items fairly well, the issue is when you go to install them on your phone.  The problem is getting an app on the phone is easy, installing it is painstaking.  Yes the SWM from Androidcentral is great(Helped me beta test Firefox while it was still a Fennec candidate), and yes someone at XDA or Androidcentral is probably working on a way to Device Sideload as opposed to using the ADB bridge from a laptop/desktop.

@Rico, glad to see the oversight!

@AT&T  I actually agree, installation of non market apps is risky and potentially hazardous to your customers, and you have made a decision in the best interests of you and doubtlessly your woefully underpaid sales reps at local AT&T stores to reduce the chance of long lines of unhappy customers bricking their phones, or worse thefts stealing sensitive information from your users.

I appreciate the concern from AT&T and about a year from now 30 or so million T-Mobile users.  However, isn't a better option to be able to sign a waiver at purchase not holding AT&T, in my case Samsung, and Google accountable of getting a fresh out of the box Rooted, Non-Market enabled, SSL code accepting Android device?  

In a world of increasing competition, AT&T has to realize Amazon, although *not* the first app market that isn't Google, there will be more.  For my money, I'm not trusting of these other app markets, but I sure am of, if say Best Buy came out with their own too, I'd want a piece of that pie.

Maybe the secondary solution if AT&T really loves Apple is have an iTunes like PC launcher which is multiple market enabled which a user can plug their phone into, check an app out, and synch between multiple markets with a single key stroke...

30 of 59 (2,346 Views)