Amazon App Store

Amazon App Store

As those of us that own Android devices, we are painfully aware of AT&T being the *only* carrier to restrict direct download and installation of third party(Non Market)apps.  With Amazon opening up their own app market very soon, can we get an official statement from AT&T regarding the availability of the Amazon App Store for our Android devices?  As I understand how the Amazon store will work, it may be impossible to side load these apps, including the much awaited and anticipated Angry Birds Rio, using the conventional methods.  Is AT&T aware there are users that will root their phones just to be able to make the most of their devices?

How is AT&T to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 59 (9,602 Views)
Master

Re: Amazon App Store

Check out Android Central's " Sideloading Wonder Machine ". The free legal way to sideload on an AT&T phone.

I haven't tried it myself, but at the moment I don't need to use. My active phone even when it wasn't rooted allowed the sideloading.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 59 (3,872 Views)
Professor

I just installed a free app from amazonappstore. I went to settings on the phone then checked the option to load unauth apps. It works
Message 17 of 59 (3,865 Views)
Master

Well, RicoLX, the HTC Aria, HTC Inspire, Samsung Captivate, all the Motorola's android phones with AT&T have that option disabled. At least until the owner takes the plunge and voids the warranty by rooting the phone.

Your Dell Streak is one luck phone to have escaped that "little" restriction.

My free unactivated HTC Aria isn't so lucky.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 59 (3,862 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Has there been an official statement from AT&T?  I know there's that signup page linked from Amazon saying they're "working on it."  But they've really had more than enough time to work on this. Amazon's app store wasn't a last-minute surprise. It seems sometimes like AT&T doesnt even want to keep customers--they can't be this bad at it.  And right at the same time that it turns out their new HSPA+ ("4G") phones have firmware blocking HSUPA.

AT&T customer since 2004 and it's getting harder and harder not to switch to Verizon. I'm out of contract and this might be the last straw.

Message 19 of 59 (3,821 Views)
Contributor

Thanks Andrew! This worked perfectly for me! It's a lot of extra steps, but AT&T should know that users will always find ways around things.
Message 20 of 59 (3,657 Views)
Contributor

Hey bud!  I followed all your steps and got to the point where I was using the Wonder Machine to install the Rio app onto my phone using the funky named apk file that i copied onto my laptop from my Captivate.  For some reason though, the Wonder Machine is popping up with this notification when I select the file and hit "OK" when it tells me that its ready to  install:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immidiately."  Below that, it reads: "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\payload\to_install.apk'." 

The apk file for (what I think is) Rio is on my desktop and I even tried re-downloading it on my phone and copying it over again, but the notification keeps popping up and hitting continue does absolutely nothing.  Sorry that you had to read this novel in order to help, but I'd really appreciate it if you know whats going on!

Message 21 of 59 (3,099 Views)
Contributor

Nevermind!  Haha I realized that I had to access the folder with the Wonder Machine in it from unzipping what I downloaded, I moved it to my desktop and the files didn't stay together which causes it not to work.  Thanks for your helpful posts from earlier!  Now happily playing Angry Birds Rio on my Captivate Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 59 (3,092 Views)
Professor

Hey Wild BAnchi: vacations coming up in just two more days buddy! Hows your install of Wild and Angry Birds! lol  Looks like AlexAndAHalf (any relation to 2.5 men??) got it installed on his Captivate!  I bet he could walk u  thru it on your captivate!  now  THAT would deserve a Koodo for AlexAndAhalf (simile)

Message 23 of 59 (3,073 Views)
Highlighted
Master

RicoLX wrote:

Hey Wild BAnchi: vacations coming up in just two more days buddy! Hows your install of Wild and Angry Birds! lol  Looks like AlexAndAHalf (any relation to 2.5 men??) got it installed on his Captivate!  I bet he could walk u  thru it on your captivate!  now  THAT would deserve a Koodo for AlexAndAhalf (simile)

We leave tomorrow morning. Smiley Very Happy But good news - I just checked the App Store on my Touch, and Angry Birds Rio was there, the first one listed, for FREE! I downloaded it, and have yet to test it out.

To get it on my Captivate, there's an app in the Android Market called "DoubleTwist" that can sync music and apps from an iPod to a phone, like my Captivate. If I do plan on getting Angry Birds on my phone, I think I will do it that way. I hope it is fairly simple...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 24 of 59 (3,068 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Way cool! Glad you have it loaded! Thatll be fun to have on the road. Yep you can get it on the Captivate too. SAM will have fun with it offline when in sleepmode and even more fun when you log on to play it. Enjoy that trip and bring us all back a 'virtual' pet rock souvenier!

Message 25 of 59 (3,056 Views)
Master

RicoLX wrote:

Way cool! Glad you have it loaded! Thatll be fun to have on the road. Yep you can get it on the Captivate too. SAM will have fun with it offline when in sleepmode and even more fun when you log on to play it. Enjoy that trip and bring us all back a 'virtual' pet rock souvenier!

Don't worry, I will! Smiley Wink And I can't wait to start playing it. It's just too bad that AT&T does not allow its customers to directly download Angry Birds Rio/other apps from the Amazon App Store. I wonder why that is...?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 26 of 59 (3,036 Views)
Professor

Oh, I meant to say that I did download onto the phone. Its got a menu option to permit unauth app installation. Dont know if this is bcause the fone is from Dell and not thru ATT catalog. Got dell logo and no att logo stamp. But I likes me ATT
Message 27 of 59 (3,033 Views)

cmore707 wrote:
Thanks Andrew! This worked perfectly for me! It's a lot of extra steps, but AT&T should know that users will always find ways around things.

Glad to help!  I love the Android paltform Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 59 (3,004 Views)

AlexAndAHalf wrote:

Nevermind!  Haha I realized that I had to access the folder with the Wonder Machine in it from unzipping what I downloaded, I moved it to my desktop and the files didn't stay together which causes it not to work.  Thanks for your helpful posts from earlier!  Now happily playing Angry Birds Rio on my Captivate Smiley Very Happy

Glad to help!

Message 29 of 59 (3,003 Views)

@ Wild Banchi,

I have doubletwist and while it can synch items fairly well, the issue is when you go to install them on your phone.  The problem is getting an app on the phone is easy, installing it is painstaking.  Yes the SWM from Androidcentral is great(Helped me beta test Firefox while it was still a Fennec candidate), and yes someone at XDA or Androidcentral is probably working on a way to Device Sideload as opposed to using the ADB bridge from a laptop/desktop.

@Rico, glad to see the oversight!

@AT&T  I actually agree, installation of non market apps is risky and potentially hazardous to your customers, and you have made a decision in the best interests of you and doubtlessly your woefully underpaid sales reps at local AT&T stores to reduce the chance of long lines of unhappy customers bricking their phones, or worse thefts stealing sensitive information from your users.

I appreciate the concern from AT&T and about a year from now 30 or so million T-Mobile users.  However, isn't a better option to be able to sign a waiver at purchase not holding AT&T, in my case Samsung, and Google accountable of getting a fresh out of the box Rooted, Non-Market enabled, SSL code accepting Android device?  

In a world of increasing competition, AT&T has to realize Amazon, although *not* the first app market that isn't Google, there will be more.  For my money, I'm not trusting of these other app markets, but I sure am of, if say Best Buy came out with their own too, I'd want a piece of that pie.

Maybe the secondary solution if AT&T really loves Apple is have an iTunes like PC launcher which is multiple market enabled which a user can plug their phone into, check an app out, and synch between multiple markets with a single key stroke...

Message 30 of 59 (2,970 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.