Amazon App Store

Amazon App Store

As those of us that own Android devices, we are painfully aware of AT&T being the *only* carrier to restrict direct download and installation of third party(Non Market)apps.  With Amazon opening up their own app market very soon, can we get an official statement from AT&T regarding the availability of the Amazon App Store for our Android devices?  As I understand how the Amazon store will work, it may be impossible to side load these apps, including the much awaited and anticipated Angry Birds Rio, using the conventional methods.  Is AT&T aware there are users that will root their phones just to be able to make the most of their devices?

How is AT&T to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 59 (9,585 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Amazon App Store

This issue has been going on for a while. Gameloft offers most of their games directly through their website and can't be used on AT&T Android devices. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 59 (9,061 Views)
Teacher

Sucks royally.  The Appstore was released today along with the chance of getting Angry Birds Rio for free and of course we're left out in the cold because of AT&T's asinine policies.

Message 3 of 59 (8,943 Views)

Sideload Wonder Machine will allow you to install the Amazon App store as well as Angry Birds Rio.

Message 4 of 59 (8,847 Views)
Contributor

Agreed - This issue hopefully will be resolved soon because it is another case where AT&T is not focused on their customers satisfaction to allow for all open applications to run on Android.  I feel like they are slightly blinded by the iPhone and have not fully put enough business support into making sure the Android platform is as robust as Verizon and some of the other carriers. 

This is coming from an Android user who switched from Verizon to AT&T to get the new Atrix 4G.  Please post a software update soon to allow for Amazon Appstore access on AT&T Android phones.

Message 5 of 59 (8,739 Views)
Tutor

Hurricane Andrew wrote:

Sideload Wonder Machine will allow you to install the Amazon App store as well as Angry Birds Rio.

How are you able to use the SWM to install Angry Birds Rio?  I installed the App store since Amazon provides you with the Amazon_Appstore-release.apk using SWM, but once you run the Amazon App and try to install the free Angry Birds Rio from within the Amazon App I get the message:

"Security Warning: This application comes from an unknown source, and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed."

Message 6 of 59 (8,496 Views)
Professor

jreedar wrote:

Hurricane Andrew wrote:

How are you able to use the SWM to install Angry Birds Rio?  I installed the App store since Amazon provides you with the Amazon_Appstore-release.apk using SWM, but once you run the Amazon App and try to install the free Angry Birds Rio from within the Amazon App I get the message:

"Security Warning: This application comes from an unknown source, and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed."

Xda-developers forums have some topics that discuss ways to get around this message.

Message 7 of 59 (8,437 Views)

You have to find the apk that Amazon downloads to your phone and use SWM to install that as well.  It had a wierd name, like nvezia.apk, or something along those lines...

Message 8 of 59 (8,432 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

How do i find this so i can download it using swm?

i got angry birds ri0 downloaded i just can get the amazon app market to download...any tips?

Message 9 of 59 (8,328 Views)

What I did was I went to Amazon's web based app market.  Entered my phone # and they sent me a text with the download link to the Amazon market.  Of course APK didn't install.  Mounted my phone on my pc as USB storage and searched for the APK.  Copied it to my PC and used SWM to install it.  Unmounted my phone.

Next, I went to Amazon's app market on my pc and ordered Rio.  Of course, the APK would not install.  After it failed, I again mounted phone on pc as usb storage, and searched for the download RIO app, which as I mentioned had a funky name.  I then copied that file to my pc and again used SWM to install it.

Message 10 of 59 (8,319 Views)
Contributor

I was excited to read the news today about the Amazon App store being launched.  Because I have trusted Amazon.com for I don't know how many years so far  I rushed right over to Amazon.com so I could read more and saw I could download the app.  After the application failed to install I was amazed to read that little asterisk in the installation instructions about *AT&T is not participating / not allowing their customers to use this application.  Now Angry Birds Rio which is Free to everyone else today except for us it is out of reach.  I can't believe AT&T is shafting its customers like this - first they dragged the Froyo release for Samsung Captivate and now no support of the Amazon App store. 

Now I know why AT&T is buying out T-Mobile - I think that is the only way they can increase their customer base at this point. 

I don't want to root my phone because I know I will screw something up.  I ditched my iPhone on AT&T because of dropped calls and decided to give AT&T a shot with the Samsung Captivate Android device and now again AT&T finds a way to tick me off.  My wife's iPhone contract on AT&T is up in October (and she hates her iPhone) so I guess I will now use that as my new jumping off point in order to get away from AT&T. 

AT&T better get ther act together very fast.

Message 11 of 59 (3,981 Views)
Professor

AT&T these days, tsk, tssk, tsk....
Message 12 of 59 (3,974 Views)
Master

You've got to be kidding? AT&T customers are not "eligible"? That's a rip-off. Surely I would want to download Angry Birds Rio as the Angry Birds series is my favorite app-game. I wonder if it's on the Apple App Store...

Once again, I suppose we are left in the dust amongst all of our friends who have different carriers rubbing it in our faces...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 13 of 59 (3,967 Views)
Professor

Might have to go over to the xda developers forum. Theres steps to open up our phones to accept sideloading. My phone have a setting to accept "unauthorized" apps.
Message 14 of 59 (3,956 Views)
Voyager

T-mobile customers can get it.  I am sure they are happy they are not under the ATT banner yet being blocked.

Message 15 of 59 (3,867 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.