Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 22, 2011
7:46:25 AM
View profile
Already upgraded to Captivate, but want a new phone

Heres my problem I updated to the Captivate last July. Ever since then this phone has given me huge issues. My GPS won't work and Google Maps rarely picks up my location. I have tried all the fixes, and taken the Samsung update for the supposed GPS fix. Also, sometimes the phone will randomly freeze and need a hard reboot, and things will just stop working like the mp3 player.

Flash forward to today, a coworker just bought the HTC Inspire which seems leaps and bounds beyond the Captivate.

If I want to get a new phone, but am not due for an update what is the exact process? Will I need to buy an unlocked Inspire and then just put my sim card into it?

Thanks!

Heres my problem I updated to the Captivate last July. Ever since then this phone has given me huge issues. My GPS won't work and Google Maps rarely picks up my location. I have tried all the fixes, and taken the Samsung update for the supposed GPS fix. Also, sometimes the phone will randomly freeze and need a hard reboot, and things will just stop working like the mp3 player.

Flash forward to today, a coworker just bought the HTC Inspire which seems leaps and bounds beyond the Captivate.

If I want to get a new phone, but am not due for an update what is the exact process? Will I need to buy an unlocked Inspire and then just put my sim card into it?

Thanks!

Already upgraded to Captivate, but want a new phone

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 8:09:17 AM
(0)
Scholar

I don't think the Inspire is currently available for unlocked purchase, but it is available on Amazon for $479 unsubsidized.

If your phone is in good working/physical condition (see TOS) You could always try and sell your Captivate at Swappa to make up that extra cash. - http://swappa.com/sell/samsung-captivate-att

I don't think the Inspire is currently available for unlocked purchase, but it is available on Amazon for $479 unsubsidized.

If your phone is in good working/physical condition (see TOS) You could always try and sell your Captivate at Swappa to make up that extra cash. - http://swappa.com/sell/samsung-captivate-att

Re: Already upgraded to Captivate, but want a new phone

2 of 11 (676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 8:14:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Can you explain what unsubsizidized means?

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Can you explain what unsubsizidized means?

3 of 11 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 8:24:32 AM
(0)
Professor

I would wait.  We should start seeing true 4G (LTE) phones late this year, and will transfer data much faster than what we have now.  Also, dual processors will be readily available soon, so speeds will be increasing.  The Inspire is a nice phone, but you can install a custom ROM to improve the Captivate and then wait on a really nice phone later this year.

I would wait.  We should start seeing true 4G (LTE) phones late this year, and will transfer data much faster than what we have now.  Also, dual processors will be readily available soon, so speeds will be increasing.  The Inspire is a nice phone, but you can install a custom ROM to improve the Captivate and then wait on a really nice phone later this year.

4 of 11 (657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 8:45:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Might do this. Just a PITA that nothing works on this Captivate. Biggest thing is GPS, it never really picks up my location.

Might do this. Just a PITA that nothing works on this Captivate. Biggest thing is GPS, it never really picks up my location.

5 of 11 (647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 9:05:20 AM
(0)
Professor

If you do decide to get the Inspire, you would need to order it at the no commitment pricing, swap your SIM card to it, and then have CS provision the proper data plan on your line. The Inspire uses a different APN for data than the Captivate, so the proper data plan would need to be provisioned. You could also do all of this in the store at the same time and be done with it.

If you do decide to get the Inspire, you would need to order it at the no commitment pricing, swap your SIM card to it, and then have CS provision the proper data plan on your line. The Inspire uses a different APN for data than the Captivate, so the proper data plan would need to be provisioned. You could also do all of this in the store at the same time and be done with it.

6 of 11 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 9:07:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

Unsubsidized just means that you aren't paying full retail for the phone. In the US mobile phone providers (ATT/Verizon, etc..) will pick a portion of the retail cost of a phone and in return you agree to sign a 2-year service contract.

Unsubsidized just means that you aren't paying full retail for the phone. In the US mobile phone providers (ATT/Verizon, etc..) will pick a portion of the retail cost of a phone and in return you agree to sign a 2-year service contract.

7 of 11 (632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 5:17:41 PM
(0)
Master
Unsubsidized means you have to pay full retail price for the phone.

Subsidized is the discount prices and they require the two year contract.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Unsubsidized means you have to pay full retail price for the phone.

Subsidized is the discount prices and they require the two year contract.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

8 of 11 (584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 7:13:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah, I knew what I meant. I just had it backwards. :-)
Yeah, I knew what I meant. I just had it backwards. :-)

9 of 11 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 9:28:25 AM
(0)
Scholar

Did you ever try switching your phone out for another Captivate? I know there are numerous issues that all will have, but you might also be experiencing hardware issues......

Did you ever try switching your phone out for another Captivate? I know there are numerous issues that all will have, but you might also be experiencing hardware issues......

10 of 11 (547 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 11:14:47 AM
(0)
Employee

diagoro wrote:

yes the phone shouldn't be freezing. try a factory reset first (you'll need to do this before warranty will replace it anyways) and when you call in if still having the same issues, call on a different phone, warranty won't replace if you're on the device (mainly because there are a few things they need to check as well and the phone isn't really "broken" if you're using it)

diagoro wrote:

yes the phone shouldn't be freezing. try a factory reset first (you'll need to do this before warranty will replace it anyways) and when you call in if still having the same issues, call on a different phone, warranty won't replace if you're on the device (mainly because there are a few things they need to check as well and the phone isn't really "broken" if you're using it)

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 11 (170 Views)