Almost giving up on at&t.

Tutor

Almost giving up on at&t.

I'm an at&t customer for the past 17 years. I got my first cell phone and contract with Cellular One on Nov 1993. Later they changed to Cingular and now at&t. They satisfied all my cell phone communication need with their excellent service, plans and phones... till now!

For the past two years they have been so busy playing with the Iphone and its apps, that they forgot the people like me who use the phone as professional business working tool. That type of people relies on Windows Mobile to stay productive with their business. My actual phone (HTC FUze) is showing its limitations  in processing power and memory.

While other carriers are offering top of the line Windows Mobile HTC HD2, at&t stills offer the underpowered Tilt2 and Pure (which runs the same processor and memory configuration as my now obsolete fuze).

For the first time in 17 years, I have been tempted to switch to other carrier to look for the solution at&t is failing to provide.

A phone that can be Professional Business Working Tool. Bring us the HTC HD2.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 41 (3,225 Views)
Mentor

Re: Almost giving up on at&t.

If T-Mobile has coverage in the areas where you will be most of the time, I say "DO IT!"  I did and I'm not looking back.  The HD2 is suhweet!

Like you, I was a Cingular then AT&T customer.  Been with them for a long time.  But it was apparent that they are in bed with Apple so much that any other phone OS would take a back seat.  (Even their first Android phone was a bust.)  Fortunately for me, the T-Mo coverage in my work and home is not bad.  Not as good as AT&T, but a sacrifice I'm willing to make to have the best WinMo phone out today.

AT&T could care less about their WinMo users, IMHO.  Their track record over the years since getting the iPhone demonstrates that they are content to bring only the less desireable versions of WinMo phones to their network.

Message 2 of 41 (3,191 Views)

vplaza wrote:

If T-Mobile has coverage in the areas where you will be most of the time, I say "DO IT!"  I did and I'm not looking back.  The HD2 is suhweet!

Like you, I was a Cingular then AT&T customer.  Been with them for a long time.  But it was apparent that they are in bed with Apple so much that any other phone OS would take a back seat.  (Even their first Android phone was a bust.)  Fortunately for me, the T-Mo coverage in my work and home is not bad.  Not as good as AT&T, but a sacrifice I'm willing to make to have the best WinMo phone out today.

AT&T could care less about their WinMo users, IMHO.  Their track record over the years since getting the iPhone demonstrates that they are content to bring only the less desireable versions of WinMo phones to their network.

Same here...switched to T-Mo and now sport the HD2!  I still have my AT&T BB Bold for work, but the T-Mo 3G coverage is actually a lot better than I can remember.  So far so good... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 3 of 41 (3,021 Views)
Mentor

hidden_dragon wrote:

vplaza wrote:

Same here...switched to T-Mo and now sport the HD2!  I still have my AT&T BB Bold for work, but the T-Mo 3G coverage is actually a lot better than I can remember.  So far so good... 

So, have you flashed your ROM yet?  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 41 (2,966 Views)

I am thinking over the same lines, I acutally got a HTC HD2 unlocked paying 500 dollars for it and the ATT data base mistook it for a blackberry. I do not use data plans with my cell phone as usually i am at work, school or home and Wi fi works out just good. So when I told the customer service rep about the situation, I was yelled at and called a liar. And T mobile, actually is a whole lot cheaper and atleast they know how to talk with people. Go T mobile...

Message 5 of 41 (2,901 Views)
Mentor

well hopefully we will be getting a new htc windows mobile powerhouse soon at least we can all hope

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 41 (2,868 Views)
Professor

Kevinm22001 wrote:

I am thinking over the same lines, I acutally got a HTC HD2 unlocked paying 500 dollars for it and the ATT data base mistook it for a blackberry. I do not use data plans with my cell phone as usually i am at work, school or home and Wi fi works out just good. So when I told the customer service rep about the situation, I was yelled at and called a liar. And T mobile, actually is a whole lot cheaper and atleast they know how to talk with people. Go T mobile...

Unlocked or not, they can still add a data plan if you switch to any smartphone, thats the new(ish) policy.

The rep shouldn't have called you a liar.   But you really think this type of behaviour is unique to ATT?  Customer service may/may not be better overall at T-Mob.  But I'm sure they have a few angry reps too.  There are plenty of potential reasons to switch carriers.  But don't let just one rep be the main reason.  I've dealt with plenty of ATT reps that were knowledgable and courteous.

Message 7 of 41 (2,862 Views)

redpoint73 wrote:

Kevinm22001 wrote:

Unlocked or not, they can still add a data plan if you switch to any smartphone, thats the new(ish) policy.

The rep shouldn't have called you a liar.   But you really think this type of behaviour is unique to ATT?  Customer service may/may not be better overall at T-Mob.  But I'm sure they have a few angry reps too.  There are plenty of potential reasons to switch carriers.  But don't let just one rep be the main reason.  I've dealt with plenty of ATT reps that were knowledgable and courteous.

Yeah, actually I never had a problem before, Well she might be having a bad day, but that means its not right to insult me as a customer. I am not going to complain about her, I wouldn't like her to be fired, just may be she had a bad day at work. Its hard to get a job these days esp at the dept. she works in. I do agree ATT does have plenty to knowledgable reps,maybe its my luck I get stuck with the incompeletent ones like this today. Last supervisor I spoke with said " All phones who have OS are smart phones." and I was like WTH.(pardon my French). And the store Manager at ATT is too "busy" to talk with me, so today I am switching to T mobile.
I honor what I said, so I am going to pay my ETF and leave ATT the H aloneSmiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 41 (2,854 Views)
Mentor

Kevinm22001 wrote:

Yeah, actually I never had a problem before, Well she might be having a bad day, but that means its not right to insult me as a customer. I am not going to complain about her, I wouldn't like her to be fired, just may be she had a bad day at work. Its hard to get a job these days esp at the dept. she works in. I do agree ATT does have plenty to knowledgable reps,maybe its my luck I get stuck with the incompeletent ones like this today. Last supervisor I spoke with said " All phones who have OS are smart phones." and I was like WTH.(pardon my French). And the store Manager at ATT is too "busy" to talk with me, so today I am switching to T mobile.
I honor what I said, so I am going to pay my ETF and leave ATT the H aloneSmiley Very Happy

Having made the switch to T-Mo myself, I have to caution you to make sure that you have good network coverage where you will be most of the time with the phone (i.e. work, home, etc.).  Their network is not nearly as good when it comes to coverage as AT&T and you may find yourself frustrated with a great phone but no network to connect to.

Fortunately for me, their coverage in my main areas are good enough that I'm not frustrated with it, but I can see how this may be a sore point for some used to having good coverage/signals where they are.

Message 9 of 41 (2,814 Views)
Professor

hidden_dragon wrote:

vplaza wrote:

I am still waiting for the holiday season to get a hold on a WP7. So sick of the shortfalls in WinMo, that I dont care for the HD2, and I have played with it.

Message 10 of 41 (2,787 Views)
Guru

17 yrs? hmm
im sure u can by an unlocked phone that can suit your needs
(u may lose 3g but thats ur call)

Message 11 of 41 (2,012 Views)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

I am still waiting for the holiday season to get a hold on a WP7. So sick of the shortfalls in WinMo, that I dont care for the HD2, and I have played with it.

I've been playing with WP7 in emulation and frankly, I'm not impressed.  And if I won't have control over how this phone will look, well, might as well get an iPhone (which will never happen).  Plus, how lame is that now that iPhone 4.0 has been announced and it will have multi-tasking, yet WP7 is looking like it won't (at least, not yet announced). 

And, IMHO, playing with the HD2 is not the same as owning one and actually using it and tweaking it.  Seriously, if you like WinMo, there's no reason to not like the phone (unless you need a physical keyboard). 

The possibilities are pretty much all over the place with what you can do with this phone.  I'm waiting for an updated ROM with Titanium on it so that I can put on SPB Mobile Shell (don't want to put it on a ROM with Sense).  Oh and that 4.3" screen is simply a pleasure to have.

Message 12 of 41 (2,007 Views)
Professor

vplaza wrote:

guandalf wrote:

I've been playing with WP7 in emulation and frankly, I'm not impressed.  And if I won't have control over how this phone will look, well, might as well get an iPhone (which will never happen).  Plus, how lame is that now that iPhone 4.0 has been announced and it will have multi-tasking, yet WP7 is looking like it won't (at least, not yet announced). 

And, IMHO, playing with the HD2 is not the same as owning one and actually using it and tweaking it.  Seriously, if you like WinMo, there's no reason to not like the phone (unless you need a physical keyboard). 

The possibilities are pretty much all over the place with what you can do with this phone.  I'm waiting for an updated ROM with Titanium on it so that I can put on SPB Mobile Shell (don't want to put it on a ROM with Sense).  Oh and that 4.3" screen is simply a pleasure to have.

Actually the multitasking part on iPhone OS is the same as it is on WP7. It is not true multitasking like it is on Android, WebOS and BB. There are only 7 services in their new API that are able to multitask. When an App goes to the background, it gets put in a suspended state, in a very similar way to WP7. Whether or not this is a good approach or not to multitasking is a whole different discussion. I am actually liking the new WP7, and my final verdict will be when I get to mess around with it.

Message 13 of 41 (1,997 Views)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

vplaza wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Actually the multitasking part on iPhone OS is the same as it is on WP7. It is not true multitasking like it is on Android, WebOS and BB. There are only 7 services in their new API that are able to multitask. When an App goes to the background, it gets put in a suspended state, in a very similar way to WP7. Whether or not this is a good approach or not to multitasking is a whole different discussion. I am actually liking the new WP7, and my final verdict will be when I get to mess around with it.

It sounds like simply semantics to me.  Besides, if it were just that and iPhone and WP7 are playing semantics with multi-tasking, then both appear to be headed in a different direction from other "true" multitasking phone OSes.  Not really sure that's a good thing.

And again, the fact that WP7 will be following the same paradigm as the iPhone (I'm only able to get apps from the Marketplace, MS is preventing manufacturers from making customizations to their phones, pseudo multi-tasking, etc.) and with its heavy consumer focus rather than business focus, WP7 doesn't really have much that interests me so far.

Message 14 of 41 (1,987 Views)
Tutor

Actually, there is one thing keeping me from making the switch to Tmo... 3G coverage.

Unfortunately, Tmo is running in Edge only, here in Puerto Rico. They have been promising a 3G upgrade since last summer.  Almost a year later and nothing yet.

An HTC HD2 running only on Edge is like having a Lamborghini Murcielago and only being permitted to drive it on the streets of Old San Juan (Puerto Rico) during the most tense traffic jams hours!!!!

Message 15 of 41 (1,875 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.