Helpful Links

Almost giving up on at&t.

Tutor

Almost giving up on at&t.

I'm an at&t customer for the past 17 years. I got my first cell phone and contract with Cellular One on Nov 1993. Later they changed to Cingular and now at&t. They satisfied all my cell phone communication need with their excellent service, plans and phones... till now!

For the past two years they have been so busy playing with the Iphone and its apps, that they forgot the people like me who use the phone as professional business working tool. That type of people relies on Windows Mobile to stay productive with their business. My actual phone (HTC FUze) is showing its limitations  in processing power and memory.

While other carriers are offering top of the line Windows Mobile HTC HD2, at&t stills offer the underpowered Tilt2 and Pure (which runs the same processor and memory configuration as my now obsolete fuze).

For the first time in 17 years, I have been tempted to switch to other carrier to look for the solution at&t is failing to provide.

A phone that can be Professional Business Working Tool. Bring us the HTC HD2.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 41
Tutor

Re: Almost giving up on at&t.

Last Friday, Sprint released its HTC Evo smart phone. In the hardware department, the phone is superb. 8 mega pixel back camera with dual LED flash, 1 mega pixel front camera for video calls, S

1 GHz Snap Dragon processor, HDMI high definition video out connector, 720p HD video recording capability and much, much more.

Had the oppotunity to test it at my local Sprint shop. The phone is out of this world in terms of hardware and technology. But I personaly don't like Android OS. Being a REALTOR, I need Windows Office Mobile and Adobe Reader, out of the box. For Android, you have to buy and install a third party app. Not a major drawback, but it came freebie in winmo!

I'm tempted to make the switch. Tmo has the HD2 and Sprint the Evo but AT&T nas nothing new to offer.

Message 31 of 41
Professor

gatech wrote:

Being a REALTOR, I need Windows Office Mobile and Adobe Reader, out of the box. For Android, you have to buy and install a third party app. Not a major drawback, but it came freebie in winmo!

Adobe Reader is free for Android, so I don't see this as much of an issue.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2010/05/adobe_reader_for_android_now_a.html

Message 32 of 41
Contributor

I hear you man.  I started as a Cingular customer and they were unparalled.   Now after the merger with AT&T it's just become a poor showing in the race for business and technology...Yes, I also concurrently blame {Please keep it courteous}

Message 33 of 41
Scholar

Pretty sure the EVO (and all HTC phones) come w/a PDF reader out of the box (not Adobe's, which was only released recently)... I can check later if you want. I'm not sure what difference it makes tho. T-Mo may have recently released the HD2 but none of the other carriers are gonna come close to touching anything w/WM 'till Microsoft releases Windows Phone 7 in Q4, and it looks like that will be an entirely different beast than the WM of today (do some research on it).

As it stands now, Android is more like WM of old than what WP7 will be (at 'least at inception). WP7's gonna have a closed marketplace and you're not gonna be able to easily install non-market apps, heck it's even gonna lack copy/paste at launch (unless MS has changed it's stance on that). I'm not saying it's gonna flop, because with MS' massive backing that's unlikely, I'm just saying it's gonna take a few months (or a year) for it to mature. Just like Android and the iPhone's OS did. They lacked a LOT of things when they first launched...

I recently switched over for the EVO, got it yesterday, so far I'm very impressed.

Message 34 of 41
Professor

I think the previous comment about Adobe Reader was mostly due to the fact that he thought it was a pay app. I agree, since its free, its a non-issue even if you have to install from the marketplace.  Who cares if you have to take 30 extra seconds to download the app?

I've been messing with Project Android (boots from the SD card) on my Tilt 2, and I have to say I'm impressed also.  Its very much in the spirit of WM with its customizability and open nature, but more finger friendly and some nice design aesthetics overall.  Plus the user support base is really coming along, with a healthy custom ROM base being built over at places like XDA.  I have to say, I'm ready to make the Android plunge if ATT can get some good phones.

Message 35 of 41
Scholar

Some of you almost did give up, and I did. I went to my local Radio shack, and got the Evo for my wife, she still has ATT 39.99 old blue plan for 1100 minutes, but no messages, no internet, and every time I had to go and buy a phone from the Amazon, since ATT would not sell me the new one. I can tell you that Evo rocks, besides the battery life, that is a little less that I expected, the phone is very solid. The screen is very sharp, Android is very stable, did not have a crash. Installing apps from the market store is fast, and if I want to tinker with the phone, I can get a hotspot up to 8 devices for free.

And you cannot beat 79.99 plan with everything included as far as the data, navigation, etc, and every mobile call is free to any carrier, and forgot to mention nights and weekends 7 to 7 standard.

Will wait for another month or so, if there is nothing on horizon from ATT besides the Iphone, then I will switch also, and get the family plan, which is going to be even cheaper.

Message 36 of 41
Professor

ysandler wrote:

I can tell you that Evo rocks, besides the battery life, that is a little less that I expected, the phone is very solid.

Its only been a few days since release.  Have you had a chance to calibrate the battery meter yet (by letting it drain completely, then charge completely, repeat a couple times)?  No phones battery meter is accurate out of the box.

Message 37 of 41
Scholar

Not yet. To be honest, I cheated a little bit. I used the other charger I had, and it happened to be a smaller Amperage. Last night I used the original, and now will see.

Message 38 of 41
Professor

Gotcha.  I have read in reviews that the battery life is a bit short on the EVO.  Not surprising with the Snapdragon processor and the huge screen.

Has HTC switched to a higher current charger, or were you using a charger from another phone?  Every charger I've seen until reletively recent from HTC has the same specs.  But I don't know about the newer Snapdragon phones.

Message 39 of 41
Contributor

The same thing I have experience with ATT bussiness center. I have been with ATT for a long time and I have no problem dealing with their business centers employees until I got the Iphone. I went to one of their business center to complain about it and I was thrown out of the door by their manager and threatened me that he will call a police if I don't leave. The reason why I went their is one of their employee where I got my Iphone give me a wrong information about the Iphone plan. I was told that I can get two Iphone with only one data plan and as long as I don't use the other Iphone for browsing the net. Actually I have 3 Iphone and one was stolen. Now when I came back to their office and explain my side, I got thrown out of their business office. The service ATT service is good but some people who work with them have an attitude. They are good in talking people to market their product but in the end when you have problems they will call you a liar. I'm done dealing with them and I would like to get out of their business as soon as possible and I WILL NOT EVER RECOMMEND ATT to others.

Message 40 of 41
Highlighted
Scholar

redpoint73 wrote:

Gotcha.  I have read in reviews that the battery life is a bit short on the EVO.  Not surprising with the Snapdragon processor and the huge screen.

Has HTC switched to a higher current charger, or were you using a charger from another phone?  Every charger I've seen until reletively recent from HTC has the same specs.  But I don't know about the newer Snapdragon phones.

Battery life is probably on par w/any of the other 3.7"+ Android phones out there. So far I haven't seen any actual proof that the AMOLED screen on others actually helps save any on battery life... For my part it's been alright, it's gotten me thru the day but just barely. I've been using it a lot too tho...
There's a couple of tweaks I need to check, it seems some phones have a system setting set to check for a GSM signal (even tho there's obviously not even a GSM radio) before checking CDMA, could be draining the battery more than necessary. This happened even w/the old Hero apparently, on certain ROMs and revisions...
Mine seems to be behaving better after I drained the battery a couple of times tho. I've heard 4G is absolutely brutal on the battery but there's no 4G around here so I haven't been able to test that. The charger is a standard 500mA-1A USB charger btw.
So far I don't have any regrets over switching over from AT&T. Porting the number was super quick too, took all of one hours (and it was done at like 7PM too), I was pleasantly surprised by that.
Message 41 of 41
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support