Ask a question

Posted Mar 2, 2009
    3:11:48 PM
    All Models - Tutorial: Make Your Own FREE Ringtones

All models - Tutorial: Make Your Own High Quality FREE Ringtones (as many as you want)

First go to http://audacity.sourceforge.net/  and download Audacity Audio Editor version 1.2.6. It's the latest stable version and I haven't checked the newer ones yet. Next, make a folder on your PC in C:\Program Files called Audacity and move everything associated with Audacity to it. You should also add the LAME library (for making mp3's) to the same folder. You can either search the web for it or you can use a link in the program later on. Note, you do not actually "install" Audacity but rather you "run" it so right-click on the file called Audacity and select Send To > Desktop. This is your shortcut to using the program. The shortcut can also be copied into your Start menu.

Once you've accomplished the opening stuff you're ready to go. Read all the way through the following tutorial before beginning and don't be afraid to use the Undo button in Audacity.  I like to use Fade In and Out effects on my ringtones, but the following is just to get you started. Feel free to post kudos if you found this useful or if you hated it;-) Also, feel free to donate to the open-source guys at the Audacity project on their sourceforge page; as you're about to find out, they do good work.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

You should be off and away making as many ringtones as you like. Once you have some finished you can email them to your phone (MMS), use Bluetooth or a USB cable to download them directly, or you can load them directly onto a microSD card if your computer has a card reader. There's also a tutorial on how to increase the file limit on Windows Mobile (6.1) based devices such as the LG Incite and HTC Fuze...It's in the LG section. They're limited to 300KB out of the box, but you can change it to 6MB if you like so that you can use higher bitrates (96, 128, and 192). That information is available in other places, but I want to make it easier for everyone than it was for me. If there's any questions about transfering your ringtones to your phone please ask away...I'll do my best to try to help.  Also, please keep this thread alive so that people won't need to ask where to get free ringtones anymore. Cheers!

58 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (58)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 27, 2009 7:31:56 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Instead of bothering with all that just use www.myxer.com. In that site there is tons of user uploader ringtones which you can completely customize. If you can't find it you can upload it and customize. When you send it to your phone they text you the message with the download link on it. If you don't want to use the mobile web. you can change your sms address on myxer.com setting to your email. Then you can download the ringtone to your computer and the email it to yourself via yournumber@mms.att.net.

Re: All Models - Tutorial: Make Your Own FREE Ringtones

31 of 59 (5,066 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 6, 2009 8:58:27 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Please keep on topic...(Audacity). This guide was designed to provide a free, easy, on-site solution for users to make their own ringtones along with any questions they might have related to this guide. If you wish to encourage or advertise alternate means and provide support for those means, please start a new thread and maintain it the best you can. Thank you for your understanding.Smiley Happy

32 of 59 (4,941 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2009 11:44:08 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Anyone else having problems or questions about making ringtones with Audacity? Don't be shy. I try to keep track of this thread to help out anyone who needs it.

There's a certain irony here because my phone cannot ring at any of my jobs so I can't even really use my own ringtonesSmiley Indifferent

33 of 59 (4,309 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 2, 2009 12:05:55 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Try http://www.zedge.net. They have a free ringtone maker tool to create your own tones.

34 of 59 (4,151 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 16, 2009 10:33:50 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Please keep on topic...(Audacity). This guide was designed to provide a free, easy, on-site solution for users to make their own ringtones along with any questions they might have related to this guide. If you wish to encourage or advertise alternate means and provide support for those means, please start a new thread and maintain it the best you can. Thank you for your understanding.:smileyhappy:

Wise man say: ability to read is one thing, but actually comprehending is too much for some...

35 of 59 (3,980 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 18, 2009 1:57:17 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Great tut!

One thing that confused me about the was the exporting process. When you've got everything like you like it and want to Export..., to change the bit rate you have to click on the Options button at the bottom of the window. I use Linux (ubuntu) and this may be OS specific, I think this tut was written with Windoze in mind. Don't worry, I won't hold it against you.... Smiley Wink. Thank you for writing this, since these ATT ringtone specifics aren't covered in other tuts. Audacity is a great program, but a little difficult to use out of the box, or the repository in my case. 

36 of 59 (3,661 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 29, 2009 5:37:21 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I have Audaicty and love it, but haven't used it in this application.

Can it be done for an IPhone on a MacBookPro?

if so, detail, please!

37 of 59 (3,506 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2010 11:20:32 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

angogh wrote:

if so, detail, please!

Yes. You can re-mix songs, edit the bitrate, content, or create ringtones with Audacity for any platform that supports mp3, wav, etc. Besides making ringtones, I've used it to edit songs that were poorly edited at the studio (e.g. poor high-level control, weak bass, etc...)

As to the iPhone, yes, I can't think of any reason why you can't move the data over to your music folder. Regarding the macbook...I really don't know if Audacity is compatible with mac. It runs as opposed to actually installing so give it a shot and let us know if it crashes your notebook Smiley Wink either that or just check the Audacity page at Source Forge and see what it says.

38 of 59 (3,277 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 19, 2010 1:48:29 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Aloha and thanks for your reply. I am able to move the ringtone song onto my play list on Itunes, but not into the "ringtones" area in Itunes. Songs have to be in this area to be able to be downloaded, and it appears that the only way to get them there is to purchase them for $2 - a dollar to buy the song and another dollar to make it into a ringtone.  This kind of petty control has turned me off to the Iphone.  I can hardly wait to trade-up to a new brand.

Anyway, enough ranting - I do appreciate your time in reply.

39 of 59 (3,250 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 20, 2010 3:52:30 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Sandspurious wrote:

angogh wrote:

if so, detail, please!

Yes. You can re-mix songs, edit the bitrate, content, or create ringtones with Audacity for any platform that supports mp3, wav, etc. Besides making ringtones, I've used it to edit songs that were poorly edited at the studio (e.g. poor high-level control, weak bass, etc...)

As to the iPhone, yes, I can't think of any reason why you can't move the data over to your music folder. Regarding the macbook...I really don't know if Audacity is compatible with mac. It runs as opposed to actually installing so give it a shot and let us know if it crashes your notebook Smiley Wink either that or just check the Audacity page at Source Forge and see what it says.

Hi Sandspurious!! How are you? I just wanted to add here, that my friend has an iPhone and she can't even download them from sites like funformobile.com like she used with her BJII. They have to go through iTunes. Smiley Sad

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

40 of 59 (3,235 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 21, 2010 6:36:52 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Dcookie wrote:

Sandspurious wrote:

angogh wrote:

if so, detail, please!

Hi Sandspurious!! How are you? I just wanted to add here, that my friend has an iPhone and she can't even download them from sites like funformobile.com like she used with her BJII. They have to go through iTunes. Smiley Sad

I'm good, thanks! Workaround...bluetooth. Go to newegg or your favorite online store and look for a highly-rated USB bluetooth adapter. See what services are available on the iTunes for regular file transfer. Once the file is on your iPhone, move it to the right place.

Option number 2...bc you have an iPhone, you have an unlimited data plan....so...email the file to yourself as an attachment and move the file to the right place after that. idk if you can send it via mms...files might be too big.

Keep searching, don't give up. Consider posing the same question on the Apple forum here.

41 of 59 (3,446 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 21, 2010 10:02:22 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I've tried the emailing, but Safari cannot open the file - very frustrating - and the IPhone doesn't allow me to download Firefox.

I'm unclear on how a bluetooth adapter can hlep, but will try that.

Thanks much,

Anni

42 of 59 (3,437 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 23, 2010 8:52:05 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Your post was so helpful. This is my 1st time doing this. I have done everything. I am just needing to transfer the file on my computer to my phone which is an LG G500. I wanted to do it through Bluetooth, but I need to know if AT&T will charge me for using the Bluetooth. I only bought the basic cell phone plan of 450 minutes. I did not buy the data plan. Does that mean as I transfer from the computer to the phone through Bluetooth I will recieve a charge on my bill?

43 of 59 (3,392 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 24, 2010 9:44:44 AM
    (0)
    Professor

stacey81 wrote:

Your post was so helpful. This is my 1st time doing this. I have done everything. I am just needing to transfer the file on my computer to my phone which is an LG G500. I wanted to do it through Bluetooth, but I need to know if AT&T will charge me for using the Bluetooth. I only bought the basic cell phone plan of 450 minutes. I did not buy the data plan. Does that mean as I transfer from the computer to the phone through Bluetooth I will recieve a charge on my bill?

Bluetooth is a direct connection between your PC and your device. There will not be any charges for this. In fact, AT&T wouldn't even be able to know you did this.

44 of 59 (3,379 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 24, 2010 8:53:34 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

This was a great piece of information and spot on.  Although I was already a user of AUDACITY, your instructions for exporting the ringtone at a 64 kb helped reduce the file size under Kbps.  Thanks for the clear and concise info.  Now it's back to making some enjoyable ringtones.

45 of 59 (2,299 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 2, 2010 8:13:45 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I hate to burst your balloon, but your system doesn't work on all devices, such as the Samsung Solstice. I had even tried to buy the ringtone but got a message that the ringtone I wanted was not available for my device. So I made my own, emailed it to my phone, and even set it as my ringtone. But when the phone rings, it plays a generic AT&T tone. Have any solutions to that problem?

46 of 59 (2,229 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 3, 2010 6:53:39 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hey, Sandspurious!  Wanted you to know how helpful the info you gave was.  I just have one problem so far.  When I'm trying to download the Alive MP3 WAV Converter, it keeps giving the error  " unable to register the DLL/OCX: DllRegisterServer failed; code Ox80004005 ".  What does this mean?  I've tried to contact regNow (the website I purchased the program from), but they have not responded.  The only way to reach them is by email.  Just wondered if you had any suggestions.

Thanks.

47 of 59 (2,034 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 13, 2010 11:28:34 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    i have read and understood the procedure for changing the ringtone size limit on my lg incite phone.my problem is that i cant seem to locate the entry FILESIZELIMIT in the registry.its just not where sandspurious said it will be.i wil be grateful for any help i can get.

48 of 59 (1,495 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2010 1:16:09 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

oldernwizr wrote:

I hate to burst your balloon, but your system doesn't work on all devices, such as the Samsung Solstice. I had even tried to buy the ringtone but got a message that the ringtone I wanted was not available for my device. So I made my own, emailed it to my phone, and even set it as my ringtone. But when the phone rings, it plays a generic AT&T tone. Have any solutions to that problem?

Unfortunately, the Samsung Solstice is NOT a smartphone (even if it looks like one from a distance). This makes it harder to handle the folder structure. You have 4 options for getting files onto your phone 1.) Put your phone in USB mass storage mode and use a USB cable. Drag and drop mp3 using Windows Explorer or equivalent, 2.) use Bluetooth connection to do the same thing (IT'S FREE), 3.) Use your microSD card to transfer, and 4.) Email or MMS it to yourself as an attachment

If you have a "dumbphone" often times the best method involves (3). Remove your mSD card from your phone. Put it in a full-size SD adapter and insert into PC/ laptop SD slot. Use Windows Explorer or equivalent file manager to copy and paste or save the file directly when outputting on Audacity. It would be smart to do several at once to avoid having to do this over. Replace your mSD card into your phone and then make the phone locate the file. Copy the file onto the phone's memory if you're required to...this is the process I used to use with my LG CU 500 (a fine phone, but extra work to manage files).

Some phones require the file be saved in a specific folder (e.g. /Windows/Ringtones) otherwise you may need to refer to your user manual for storing / selecting non-stock ringtones. I don't ever advise people to buy ringtones because 1.) you don't learn anything and 2.) they're a rip-off.

To everyone out there that's kept this thread going after months of my absence....thank you.

49 of 59 (1,310 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 13, 2011 9:02:43 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Hello Sandspurious,

I have an LG Go phone and am fairly happy with it. The down side is when I made an .mp3 to use as a ring tone, it would only load as an .amr and therefore will not let the file be used as a ringtone. I used a good program similar to Audacity. I don't have a memory card - is this what I need?  Or does ATT restrict ringtones for GO phones only to those you can order from them?  I'm still fairly new at this so please bear with me if my question appears ignorant - it is!

50 of 59 (1,115 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 12, 2011 8:08:38 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

RusticatedLady wrote:

Hello Sandspurious,

I have an LG Go phone and am fairly happy with it. The down side is when I made an .mp3 to use as a ring tone, it would only load as an .amr and therefore will not let the file be used as a ringtone. I used a good program similar to Audacity. I don't have a memory card - is this what I need?  Or does ATT restrict ringtones for GO phones only to those you can order from them?  I'm still fairly new at this so please bear with me if my question appears ignorant - it is!

GoPhones are almost identical to normal AT&T phones in thier programming. It is recommended, but not required that you have a microSD card installed. Some non-smart phones will restrict the files you try to use as ringtones.

Often, ways around this include:

1.) use Audacity to make your ringtones smaller than 300KB* by adjusting the bitrate to 64kbps or less, or by trimming the audio clip to well less than 30 seconds

*the smaller the better

2.) aim for .mp3 format, but if that fails, try the uncompressed .wav format

refer back to #1

3.) read online or check the user's manual for which folder is the place the phone lists its ringtones.

Let me know if that helps,

-S

51 of 59 (878 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 3, 2011 10:59:15 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi Sandspurious,

Thank you for all of your help on this topic! I'm searching the forums today to try & figure out why my purchased ringtones stopped working. I find shopping for ringtones quite tedious & time-consuming, since it is difficult to find music I actually like, and I would love to just make my own ringtones & wallpapers. I believe I can follow your excellent instructions without a problem, but am still not quite clear about how to get the ringtones actually on my phone.

I have a low-end dumb phone, Samsung a107, (more than adequate for my needs). I'm relatively savvy with my computer, but rarely have the need for a cell phone; therefore, I'm not too savvy with cell tech. Is the SIM card the same thing as a micro SD card? My laptop has a card reader that I use with my camera's memory cards; is there an adapter that will allow the SIM card to be read/written to on my computer?

Thank you!

52 of 59 (637 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 15, 2011 10:56:33 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

hi,

thank you all for giving such an nice information...its useful

53 of 59 (615 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 28, 2011 9:13:42 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Re: Tumblebee

Hi Tumblebee,

A SIM card is the chip that identifies your phone to the network. It's small, rectangular and normally has gold contacts on one side and the AT&T logo on the other. The card can help to store minor information like a limited number of contacts.

A MicroSD card is a non-volatile NAND-based flash memory chip that can store potentially large sums of data for long periods of time. They're typically small, black, and are manufactured by companies such as Sandisk, PNY, Lexar, Apacer, Kingston, Transcend, etc. with coresponding logos on them. (This is a link with a picture of a microSD card and adapter... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208503 )

A very helpful feature of a MicroSD card is that you can turn off your phone, remove the card, and then place it into an adapter for your laptop/ desktop. A message will pop up on your screen advising that it was discovered and your computer will treat it just like a USB "thumbdrive." If you're using a Windows PC, you can just drag and drop (or copy & paste) your ringtone files into your preferred folder. For example, F:\My Ringtones (assuming that you've made a folder on your card called "My Ringtones."

After your ringtone files are finished transferring, close the Windows Explorer windows and then look for an icon near your clock that allows you to Safely Remove Hardware. It's usually not necessary, but just in case. After that's done, go ahead and transfer the MicroSD card back into your phone and tell the ringtone manager to look in the appropriate folder or to scan the memory card for ringtones. Most feature phones will only "find" WAV or MP3 files that are less than 30 seconds and less than 250KB. (In Audacity, a 20 second music clip saved as a 64kbps MP3 should work well)

Notes:

+ Make sure when saving MP3 files with Audacity that you give them appropriate names that DO NOT overlap the original file names or else you will overwrite the original.

+ Below is an example of where & how I store the ringtones I've created on my laptop. (This will be different for a Mac)...

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\My Documents\Phone\Ringtones\Ring-Sublime.mp3 

+ Next is an example of how I store the ringtones on my MicroSD card...

\My Ringtones\Ring-Sublime.mp3

I hope this helps.

Sandspurious

54 of 59 (600 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2011 6:26:56 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi Sandspurious,

Thanks for the kind info. I must have been a little brain-dead the day I wrote that question, sorry. I'm familiar with the micro SD card, I use them regularly. I think my phone must not use a memory card; I don't see any place where one can go in the phone. When I open the back, there is the battery, when I take it out, there is the SIM card, & the rest of the space is filled up with the phone's parts. No room for a card. Is there any other way to get the ringtones actually ON the phone?

Thank you!

55 of 59 (593 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2011 9:36:29 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Trumblebee wrote:

Is there any other way to get the ringtones actually ON the phone?

I didn't see anything about Bluetooth, USB connectivity, or microSD expansion on the Samsung support page. If this is correct, you may have to either resort to creating the mp3 audio file, attach it to a blank email, and then sending it to yourself at 1234567890@mms.att.net where "123..." is your 10-digit phone number w/out symbols. Try to open the MMS message on your phone and see if you can save or play the file. If this method doesn't work, then your a107 probably isn't compatible with mp3 ringtones.

56 of 59 (588 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 29, 2011 11:12:12 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Awesome, thank you so very much! I probably won't have time to work on this for a few weeks, but I'll post an update to let you know when I do. I do have email capability on my phone, so let's cross our fingers..

Thanks again, this required you to research MY phone, it was so very kind of you. (I HATE to buy a ringtone that is only good for 60 days. It's way too much trouble for that!)

57 of 59 (585 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 3, 2011 10:01:13 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

You're welcome, Tumbletree. Make sure you return to this thread and tell the other community users if you were able to successfully email it to yourself and set the ringtone. Undoubtably others have encountered the same issue and will want to know what you did and if it worked.

58 of 59 (562 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 8, 2011 8:39:25 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Thanks, I will do that. Probably not until January though... Have a merry Christmas!

59 of 59 (543 Views)