Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 24, 2008
11:54:24 PM
View profile
AirCard internet connection stops working after being connected for some random length of time.
Edited by jmc0 on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:12:15 PM
I used the AirCard Watcher program to connect. I am using the PCMCIA/PCCard Sierra Wireless AirCard 860, but I know a person with different AirCard with another provider is having similar problem (I think the other person is using Verizon, and has AirCard 595).
Problem:
  After being connect with the AirCard for sometime (seems random, maybe several hours or days or so), the internet stops working. I cannot ping [ping nameofsites- Ping request could not find host nameofsites. Please check the name and try again], I cannot telnet to any external site, etc.
  The watcher program still reports connected with good signal (The other person experiencing similar problem said it will eventually report it as disconnect after some hours, then she has to manually press the connect button), but only the TX byte counter goes up (maybe this only indicates number of bytes send to the card, and not data actually send out successfully). 
  I have to manually press disconnect, and press connect, to get things working again. This is a big issue, because we are using this for automation on an unmanned computer. (I do not get the same problem, if am connected via wired-cable.)

Anyone else experienced this? What is causing this problem? What is the fix? Is there a program that will programmatically disconnect and reconnect, after it detects this condition?

Edit update: firmware information:

software: 4.4.2.3
ndis driver: r2_0_20_ac_gprs
firmware: u1_1_29acap
firmware build: 02/20/06
boot loader: u1_1_1acbt
hardware: 1.1
device: aircard 860

Message Edited by jmc0 on 02-25-2008 05:12:15 PM
I used the AirCard Watcher program to connect. I am using the PCMCIA/PCCard Sierra Wireless AirCard 860, but I know a person with different AirCard with another provider is having similar problem (I think the other person is using Verizon, and has AirCard 595).
Problem:
  After being connect with the AirCard for sometime (seems random, maybe several hours or days or so), the internet stops working. I cannot ping [ping nameofsites- Ping request could not find host nameofsites. Please check the name and try again], I cannot telnet to any external site, etc.
  The watcher program still reports connected with good signal (The other person experiencing similar problem said it will eventually report it as disconnect after some hours, then she has to manually press the connect button), but only the TX byte counter goes up (maybe this only indicates number of bytes send to the card, and not data actually send out successfully). 
  I have to manually press disconnect, and press connect, to get things working again. This is a big issue, because we are using this for automation on an unmanned computer. (I do not get the same problem, if am connected via wired-cable.)

Anyone else experienced this? What is causing this problem? What is the fix? Is there a program that will programmatically disconnect and reconnect, after it detects this condition?

Edit update: firmware information:

software: 4.4.2.3
ndis driver: r2_0_20_ac_gprs
firmware: u1_1_29acap
firmware build: 02/20/06
boot loader: u1_1_1acbt
hardware: 1.1
device: aircard 860

Message Edited by jmc0 on 02-25-2008 05:12:15 PM

AirCard internet connection stops working after being connected for some random length of time.

[ Edited ]
19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 10:35:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
I am currently using an 881 USB and not directly experiencing this.  Do you have the latest firmware loaded onto the 860?  I don't tend to leave mine connected for more than several hours at a time.
I am currently using an 881 USB and not directly experiencing this.  Do you have the latest firmware loaded onto the 860?  I don't tend to leave mine connected for more than several hours at a time.

Re: AirCard internet connection stops working after being connected for some random length of time.

2 of 20 (7,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 2:59:56 PM
(0)
Guru
Well, your watcher is very outdated, version wise.

Update here:

As to your problem of lost connection. I have had an 860 card since they were first brought out. This has been a constant problem. I just disconnect and re-connect, like you said. These cards are not meant for continuous connection and i beleive that is against the TOS.

I will say, that after each software update has occurred, loss of connection seems to be less of a problem, but still occurrs.
Hope this helps.
Well, your watcher is very outdated, version wise.

Update here:

As to your problem of lost connection. I have had an 860 card since they were first brought out. This has been a constant problem. I just disconnect and re-connect, like you said. These cards are not meant for continuous connection and i beleive that is against the TOS.

I will say, that after each software update has occurred, loss of connection seems to be less of a problem, but still occurrs.
Hope this helps.

Re: AirCard internet connection stops working after being connected for some random length of time.

3 of 20 (7,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 5:02:48 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jmc0 on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:09:40 PM
In light of that information; here are some more questions, in addition to the questions from my original message.

1) Anyone know if the lost connection problem, also affect different models of PCCard/PCMCIA AirCard (e.g. 595, 881, 875, etc.)?
2) Is this a service provider issue or sierra wireless problem or both or neither?
3) Any semi-offical statement/forum-message from any of the teleco or sierra wireless, etc. acknowledging the problem (or are they [ISP provider/Sierra Wireless] even aware of the problem)?

Thank you for the assistances.

Message Edited by jmc0 on 02-25-2008 05:09:40 PM
In light of that information; here are some more questions, in addition to the questions from my original message.

1) Anyone know if the lost connection problem, also affect different models of PCCard/PCMCIA AirCard (e.g. 595, 881, 875, etc.)?
2) Is this a service provider issue or sierra wireless problem or both or neither?
3) Any semi-offical statement/forum-message from any of the teleco or sierra wireless, etc. acknowledging the problem (or are they [ISP provider/Sierra Wireless] even aware of the problem)?

Thank you for the assistances.

Message Edited by jmc0 on 02-25-2008 05:09:40 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 20 (7,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 8:26:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yes I have an 860 card and it worked good for about a year, about the second week of Jannuary it started doing the same as you describe,random and very frustrating . updated firmware installed new sierra watcher and still same. figured my card must be bad so bought new 875 and still the same doo. that was running XP pro with service pack 2 . next bought external anntena 11db and it sure speed up the connection but allso speed up how offten it froze. I am in rural area using edge but usualy have 4 to 5 bars 70db and about 3 miles from tower. Next step built new pc running vista ultimate and its the same. I allso use it in my laptop with media center adition and it does the same thing.  I have allso set up windows with regular dialup connection with the card and it does the same thing. The funney thing about this is a couple weeks ago I downloaded an ISO image of freespire linux with bit torrent program and it stayed connected as long as I was downloading as soon as I stopped downloading it would freeze up.
 What is realy strange is I loaded freespire on a PC installed the pcmcia adapter card loaded the driver for the 875 card and connected fine left it connected for hours and it wouldnt freeze up.
 Tom
Yes I have an 860 card and it worked good for about a year, about the second week of Jannuary it started doing the same as you describe,random and very frustrating . updated firmware installed new sierra watcher and still same. figured my card must be bad so bought new 875 and still the same doo. that was running XP pro with service pack 2 . next bought external anntena 11db and it sure speed up the connection but allso speed up how offten it froze. I am in rural area using edge but usualy have 4 to 5 bars 70db and about 3 miles from tower. Next step built new pc running vista ultimate and its the same. I allso use it in my laptop with media center adition and it does the same thing.  I have allso set up windows with regular dialup connection with the card and it does the same thing. The funney thing about this is a couple weeks ago I downloaded an ISO image of freespire linux with bit torrent program and it stayed connected as long as I was downloading as soon as I stopped downloading it would freeze up.
 What is realy strange is I loaded freespire on a PC installed the pcmcia adapter card loaded the driver for the 875 card and connected fine left it connected for hours and it wouldnt freeze up.
 Tom

5 of 20 (7,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 6:17:22 AM
(0)
Guru
Too elaborate further. It  seems to be a network problem. I travel all across the US. The disconnects don't seem to have any correlation to signal strength. They can happen with 5 bars as well as 2 bars.
I have noticed they occur less often with a 3G signal.  Not knowing how far i am from any particular tower, i can't say it might be  distance  related. As, i only have a Sierra wireless 860 and a Sony Ericcson GC83, i can't say if the other cards do any better. However, they both have the loss of connection problem, so that is why i think it is a network problem.
I also think it is an EDGE network problem.
Too elaborate further. It  seems to be a network problem. I travel all across the US. The disconnects don't seem to have any correlation to signal strength. They can happen with 5 bars as well as 2 bars.
I have noticed they occur less often with a 3G signal.  Not knowing how far i am from any particular tower, i can't say it might be  distance  related. As, i only have a Sierra wireless 860 and a Sony Ericcson GC83, i can't say if the other cards do any better. However, they both have the loss of connection problem, so that is why i think it is a network problem.
I also think it is an EDGE network problem.

6 of 20 (7,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 6:44:09 AM
(0)
Master

tazmannusa wrote:
 Tom

So, you installed Linux and the connection worked flawlessly for hours, is that correct?  Then you returned to Winblows and the issue returned, is that correct?  Anyone else here see the pattern?

tazmannusa wrote:
 Tom

So, you installed Linux and the connection worked flawlessly for hours, is that correct?  Then you returned to Winblows and the issue returned, is that correct?  Anyone else here see the pattern?

7 of 20 (7,615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 7:13:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

tazmannusa wrote:
 Tom

Thanks for the comment. Just to clarify, when you said freeze up; you mean internet access is frozen (ie. you can not access to the internet [for whatever the reason]), and you have to push the disconnect/connect button for it to re-connect to get back in a working state?

tazmannusa wrote:
 Tom

Thanks for the comment. Just to clarify, when you said freeze up; you mean internet access is frozen (ie. you can not access to the internet [for whatever the reason]), and you have to push the disconnect/connect button for it to re-connect to get back in a working state?

8 of 20 (7,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 9:31:10 AM
(0)
Mentor
Jmc0
  Yes I have to hit disconnect and reconnect to get it working, sometimes it takes 4 or 5 minutes to disconnect.
 Here is another one, yesterday I had to do a complete restore because of a hardware problem, up and running in about 8 minutes with clean system with drivers only no network or ICS setup and the 875 card worked great 4 or 5 hours last night and a few hours thismorning. I think I will run it a couple days like this and see if it keeps working good.
 One thing I will say about Vista and the 875 card is vista dont like it, vista wiil not boot if card is in. wait till system is booted then push it in and you hear 3 bonks then all is fine
  Wanted to mention I called tek support on it a while back when still running XP and we found that the modem had been doubled up in device manager so we deleted all them all, rebooted put the card in and the system reinstalled the drivers and it helped but didnt clear it up 100%
  Tom
Jmc0
  Yes I have to hit disconnect and reconnect to get it working, sometimes it takes 4 or 5 minutes to disconnect.
 Here is another one, yesterday I had to do a complete restore because of a hardware problem, up and running in about 8 minutes with clean system with drivers only no network or ICS setup and the 875 card worked great 4 or 5 hours last night and a few hours thismorning. I think I will run it a couple days like this and see if it keeps working good.
 One thing I will say about Vista and the 875 card is vista dont like it, vista wiil not boot if card is in. wait till system is booted then push it in and you hear 3 bonks then all is fine
  Wanted to mention I called tek support on it a while back when still running XP and we found that the modem had been doubled up in device manager so we deleted all them all, rebooted put the card in and the system reinstalled the drivers and it helped but didnt clear it up 100%
  Tom

9 of 20 (7,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 3:57:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
I just got off phone with at&t tec support and they were very helpfull and polite. same problem happend this afternoon. We went through a lot of trouble shooting steps and it passed, so the next step was in the windows firewall, we added connection manager to the allowed programs. from what the gall said a lot of times the firewall is fighting the connection manager and causes this problem. Time will tell but it does seem a bit faster on the net now. It does make sence and hopfully will cure it
Tom
I just got off phone with at&t tec support and they were very helpfull and polite. same problem happend this afternoon. We went through a lot of trouble shooting steps and it passed, so the next step was in the windows firewall, we added connection manager to the allowed programs. from what the gall said a lot of times the firewall is fighting the connection manager and causes this problem. Time will tell but it does seem a bit faster on the net now. It does make sence and hopfully will cure it
Tom

10 of 20 (7,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2008 7:13:58 PM
(0)
Guru

tazmannusa wrote:

If you use the Sierra Wireless 3G Watcher program, you can use the menu choice to Power off the Wireless Radio. This disconnects your wireless connection much faster than using the Disconnect button. If you are not using a Sierra Wireless card, then I don't know if there are alternatives or not.

tazmannusa wrote:

If you use the Sierra Wireless 3G Watcher program, you can use the menu choice to Power off the Wireless Radio. This disconnects your wireless connection much faster than using the Disconnect button. If you are not using a Sierra Wireless card, then I don't know if there are alternatives or not.

11 of 20 (6,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2008 5:54:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
Deebat
 Thats kinda the same effect as just pulling card out while its still connected to the net and I dont think thats to good on them
 Tom
Deebat
 Thats kinda the same effect as just pulling card out while its still connected to the net and I dont think thats to good on them
 Tom

12 of 20 (6,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2008 6:27:51 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by DeeBat on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:32:07 PM

tazmannusa wrote:
Deebat
 Tom

I completely disagree. Just power the radio off, then when it is off, power it back on. I do this anytime I get a stalled connection. This is much better than removing the card. I do not need to use Safely Remove Hardware, and I do not subject the pins in the cardslot to undue stress from many removals and insertions.

EDIT: Besides, I don't think Sierra Wireless would put this feature in their Connection software if it was harmful to the AirCard. I believe the Disconnect button is for at&t's benefit. It lets the network know that you are no longer on it. The problem is that the Disconnect button timeout is set way too long.

Message Edited by DeeBat on 02-27-2008 07:32:07 PM

tazmannusa wrote:
Deebat
 Tom

I completely disagree. Just power the radio off, then when it is off, power it back on. I do this anytime I get a stalled connection. This is much better than removing the card. I do not need to use Safely Remove Hardware, and I do not subject the pins in the cardslot to undue stress from many removals and insertions.

EDIT: Besides, I don't think Sierra Wireless would put this feature in their Connection software if it was harmful to the AirCard. I believe the Disconnect button is for at&t's benefit. It lets the network know that you are no longer on it. The problem is that the Disconnect button timeout is set way too long.

Message Edited by DeeBat on 02-27-2008 07:32:07 PM

[ Edited ]
13 of 20 (6,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2008 7:54:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

DeeBat wrote:

The real problem is, we users, have to live with this faulty 'stall' condition. They promote this to business user, but this problem is especially affecting the automation work on unmanned computer used in business solution. At the very least, someone (service provider/sierra wireless) should have a statement/message to explain this problem.

Is there any other 3rd party software to automatically reconnect (disconnect/connect or power-off/power-on) when this condition happens (especially if it is a command line tools)? Or some other way via settings, registry, or programmatically to cause the watcher connection program to reconnect when this condtion is detected.

Thanks

DeeBat wrote:

The real problem is, we users, have to live with this faulty 'stall' condition. They promote this to business user, but this problem is especially affecting the automation work on unmanned computer used in business solution. At the very least, someone (service provider/sierra wireless) should have a statement/message to explain this problem.

Is there any other 3rd party software to automatically reconnect (disconnect/connect or power-off/power-on) when this condition happens (especially if it is a command line tools)? Or some other way via settings, registry, or programmatically to cause the watcher connection program to reconnect when this condtion is detected.

Thanks

14 of 20 (6,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2008 1:16:31 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have an 881U Sierra Wireless Aircard. I concur with the advice about downloading the 3G watcher (3G_Watcher_generic.msi) from Sierra Wireless on the posted site (http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/support_and_downloads.aspx?id=4,3,1,1). I was having random disconnects and difficulties signing on with ATT Communications Manager. Then I downloaded 3G Watcher and use that to get onto the internet, now I dont have any problems. Also to maintain continuous connectivity while I'm away for the computer for a long period of time, I changed my setings for the display going off and when mine computer goes to sleep to Never. Whenever the screen saver comes on and/or the computer goes into the power down mode, it will disconnect the internet and aircard connectivity. Aloha.
I have an 881U Sierra Wireless Aircard. I concur with the advice about downloading the 3G watcher (3G_Watcher_generic.msi) from Sierra Wireless on the posted site (http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/support_and_downloads.aspx?id=4,3,1,1). I was having random disconnects and difficulties signing on with ATT Communications Manager. Then I downloaded 3G Watcher and use that to get onto the internet, now I dont have any problems. Also to maintain continuous connectivity while I'm away for the computer for a long period of time, I changed my setings for the display going off and when mine computer goes to sleep to Never. Whenever the screen saver comes on and/or the computer goes into the power down mode, it will disconnect the internet and aircard connectivity. Aloha.

15 of 20 (6,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2008 6:53:07 PM
(0)
Master
The newest verion of the ACM now includes new driver support for the Option Express Ultra blah blah blah.  But the good thing it also includes some updates from Sierra itself to help with the random dropouts and other system compatibility issues reported.  Wish I had the actual details of the software but, meh, I will leave that upto you all.
The newest verion of the ACM now includes new driver support for the Option Express Ultra blah blah blah.  But the good thing it also includes some updates from Sierra itself to help with the random dropouts and other system compatibility issues reported.  Wish I had the actual details of the software but, meh, I will leave that upto you all.

16 of 20 (6,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2008 5:25:10 PM
(0)
Mentor
I have seen this many times also, and i think one of the causes is when you get yours or someone else cell phone to close to the aircard. Or other radios at the plant get to close and interfere with the aircard signals.

Also so as this is not to be always connected i am sure that the software/driver will auto disconnect if connection is not be used for some amount of time.
I have seen this many times also, and i think one of the causes is when you get yours or someone else cell phone to close to the aircard. Or other radios at the plant get to close and interfere with the aircard signals.

Also so as this is not to be always connected i am sure that the software/driver will auto disconnect if connection is not be used for some amount of time.

17 of 20 (6,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2008 4:26:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
Bottom-line:
For some of us, this continues to be a problem (even with latest updates). There are some flaws within the service, system, or electronics. Since the service provider and manufacturer can’t figure this out, they should at least implement the following temporary fix.

Proposed Temporary Solution: Have an option in the AirCard Watcher program to auto reconnect when this happens. (And provide command line utility so any automation process can connect/disconnect the Watcher program when this happens)
Bottom-line:
For some of us, this continues to be a problem (even with latest updates). There are some flaws within the service, system, or electronics. Since the service provider and manufacturer can’t figure this out, they should at least implement the following temporary fix.

Proposed Temporary Solution: Have an option in the AirCard Watcher program to auto reconnect when this happens. (And provide command line utility so any automation process can connect/disconnect the Watcher program when this happens)

Problem: AirCard connection stops working after some times

18 of 20 (6,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2008 9:23:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have the 875U card and it started doing this also around January. It seems to be getting worse on a daily basis, this gets very old. I will be in the middle something and the internet freezes up, have to disconnect which will take 10 minutes sometimes and then reconnect which take a while also. I have done all of the above that has been mentioned as the others have and it continues to do this! I am running on the EDGE since 3G is not availible in my area as the AT&T rep told me it would be by the first of the year when I bought this thing. Should have known better! If I could get out of the contract without having to pay that high fee I would since I was basically lied to about 3G.
I have the 875U card and it started doing this also around January. It seems to be getting worse on a daily basis, this gets very old. I will be in the middle something and the internet freezes up, have to disconnect which will take 10 minutes sometimes and then reconnect which take a while also. I have done all of the above that has been mentioned as the others have and it continues to do this! I am running on the EDGE since 3G is not availible in my area as the AT&T rep told me it would be by the first of the year when I bought this thing. Should have known better! If I could get out of the contract without having to pay that high fee I would since I was basically lied to about 3G.

19 of 20 (6,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2008 7:07:13 PM
(0)
Mentor
 Well I seem to have mine fixed and running pretty good now, there is a few setting changes that have to be made to get it there.
see my last post in real world edge performance for the steps. Ive experimented and installed clean fresh operating system with the new ATTCM  without doing any changes I get the random lockup issues, once I do the settings it works fine. It will still hickup every once in a while but just stop what your doing wait a minute and she starts working again.
 Still would like to know what changed a couple months ago to cause it.
 Tom
 Well I seem to have mine fixed and running pretty good now, there is a few setting changes that have to be made to get it there.
see my last post in real world edge performance for the steps. Ive experimented and installed clean fresh operating system with the new ATTCM  without doing any changes I get the random lockup issues, once I do the settings it works fine. It will still hickup every once in a while but just stop what your doing wait a minute and she starts working again.
 Still would like to know what changed a couple months ago to cause it.
 Tom

20 of 20 (6,548 Views)