Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 23, 2007
8:13:09 PM
View profile
Air Card Rip Off
Got an air card back in September to use with my new win Vista laptop but it wouldn't work. It did work on my older very slow laptop on win xp.  Took it back before my 30 days were up and the rep at the AT&T store here said it must be defective.  I said I wanted to return it anyway but he said he would give a new one with an additional 30 days for me to try and if and that it should work on my newer machine.  Well, it was the same...wouldn't work on anything but the old lap top and I went in to return it today and was told no one told me that etc. and that I was under contract and AT&T would bill to my cell phones, credit cards and anything else they can find to collect!  Wow, great customer service!!  As of Saturday (tomorrow) my 30 days are up.

Is this the standard business practice with the AT&T air card?  If they don't work, you force the customer to buy it anyway?

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I should do?  I don't want the AT&T air now or ever after this!!!!
Got an air card back in September to use with my new win Vista laptop but it wouldn't work. It did work on my older very slow laptop on win xp.  Took it back before my 30 days were up and the rep at the AT&T store here said it must be defective.  I said I wanted to return it anyway but he said he would give a new one with an additional 30 days for me to try and if and that it should work on my newer machine.  Well, it was the same...wouldn't work on anything but the old lap top and I went in to return it today and was told no one told me that etc. and that I was under contract and AT&T would bill to my cell phones, credit cards and anything else they can find to collect!  Wow, great customer service!!  As of Saturday (tomorrow) my 30 days are up.

Is this the standard business practice with the AT&T air card?  If they don't work, you force the customer to buy it anyway?

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I should do?  I don't want the AT&T air now or ever after this!!!!

Air Card Rip Off

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2007 8:46:18 PM
(0)
Guru
The 30 day period is 30 calender days, and you have the option of cancelling at any corporate store.
The 30 day period is 30 calender days, and you have the option of cancelling at any corporate store.

Re: Air Card Rip Off

2 of 8 (6,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2007 2:06:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
That is what I tried to do, the corporate store wouldn't take it back and said I would have to go through customer service.  Customer service won't help either.  Wonderful organization!!
That is what I tried to do, the corporate store wouldn't take it back and said I would have to go through customer service.  Customer service won't help either.  Wonderful organization!!

3 of 8 (6,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2007 5:58:08 PM
(0)
Voyager
That's not to bad.... After my 30 days, My speeds dropped from DSL speeds to 56k speeds!!! The answer I got was "We can't help you with that...." Now I have moved to the sticks in MO. My normal signal is 1 bar and downloading slower than 5k a sec. but my cell phone still has 5 bars... We are stuck for a 2 year contract...
That's not to bad.... After my 30 days, My speeds dropped from DSL speeds to 56k speeds!!! The answer I got was "We can't help you with that...." Now I have moved to the sticks in MO. My normal signal is 1 bar and downloading slower than 5k a sec. but my cell phone still has 5 bars... We are stuck for a 2 year contract...

4 of 8 (5,959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2008 11:25:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Harry Huggins on Jan 30, 2008 at 11:30:01 AM
We have the same problem and we are only 60 miles from SA in Kerrville, TX.  Store salesperson says he would never have sold us the air card if he had known we had a pc.  This is not true, he knew, because he said we could buy the adapter for the pc to hold the air card, otherwise we would not have known to buy an adapter.  We are stuck with 2 years also!  The store mangers keep telling us it will get better once AT&T moves in the area and starts putting up more towers.  I don't believe anything they say now.  They also tell us they are not computer people only phones.  Why do they sell the air card then?

Message Edited by Harry Huggins on 01-30-2008 11:30:01 AM
We have the same problem and we are only 60 miles from SA in Kerrville, TX.  Store salesperson says he would never have sold us the air card if he had known we had a pc.  This is not true, he knew, because he said we could buy the adapter for the pc to hold the air card, otherwise we would not have known to buy an adapter.  We are stuck with 2 years also!  The store mangers keep telling us it will get better once AT&T moves in the area and starts putting up more towers.  I don't believe anything they say now.  They also tell us they are not computer people only phones.  Why do they sell the air card then?

[ Edited ]
5 of 8 (5,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2008 5:11:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

Harry Huggins wrote:

A laptop IS a pc unless it's from Apple or Sun. The other thing is that I suspect people are not buying from corporate AT&T. If asked, they have to tell you.

Harry Huggins wrote:

A laptop IS a pc unless it's from Apple or Sun. The other thing is that I suspect people are not buying from corporate AT&T. If asked, they have to tell you.

6 of 8 (5,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2008 5:13:08 AM
(0)
Scholar

Avokat wrote:

Key word being Corporate here. If asked, they have to tell you if they are corporate. I'm sure many agents don't care what they are saying.

Avokat wrote:

Key word being Corporate here. If asked, they have to tell you if they are corporate. I'm sure many agents don't care what they are saying.

7 of 8 (5,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2008 3:28:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mod.moose on Feb 29, 2008 at 8:47:06 PM
Authorized Agents are not allowed to say just anything they want.  What the original poster experienced was just plain old bad customer service!!  If they do not like it or it does not meet your needs then they can return it in the first 30 days. Not just exchange it.  You do have to take it back to the location from which it was purchased.  I am sorry that your experience was bad but please do not color all authorized agents with that same brush....they are not all the same.

{lailoni, You have received information in your private message box --> . It Should Be Gold. Please read.}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 02-29-2008 08:47:06 PM
Authorized Agents are not allowed to say just anything they want.  What the original poster experienced was just plain old bad customer service!!  If they do not like it or it does not meet your needs then they can return it in the first 30 days. Not just exchange it.  You do have to take it back to the location from which it was purchased.  I am sorry that your experience was bad but please do not color all authorized agents with that same brush....they are not all the same.

{lailoni, You have received information in your private message box --> . It Should Be Gold. Please read.}

Message Edited by mod.moose on 02-29-2008 08:47:06 PM

[ Edited ]
8 of 8 (4,754 Views)