Helpful Links

Agps useage monitoring

Contributor

Agps useage monitoring

When you use agps, for example with a car gps program, is it counted towards your monthly data quota?
Message 1 of 9
Scholar

Re: Agps useage monitoring

I'm pretty sure it would.

Any one else want to give some feedback?

Message 2 of 9
Professor

It's an internal ping as far as anyone knows. You get charged for using "maps" and other data download map applications. TomTom is a fullon application. It does ping agps but it's an internal ping as it has a gps chip. If you buy the i4 tomtom kit in the end if the year you'll be covered as it would use the included chip.
Message 3 of 9
Scholar

if you are using data, it will deduct from your data allowance. 

gps programs need to constantly update your position on the route, so youll be using a pretty good amount of data

edit: unless you use a system as stated above

Message 4 of 9
Professor

From a nokia user on
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM

It only uses the data when you first initiate the gps. That is, after the initial 6k transfer, it will NOT use any more data until you turn off the gps, and try to get a lock again. If using the maps application, this means that everytime you start Maps, it will do the 6k transfer, and wont use any more data until you close maps and open it again.
Message 5 of 9
Mentor

It depends. If it is an app like TomTom, which has all the map data on the phone, then it won't be updating through data. If it is like AT&T's Navigator, which doesn't have the mapping data on the phone, you will be using your data quota.
Message 6 of 9
Scholar

that is not how it was explained to me.... my bad

where can i find that information.

Message 7 of 9
Mentor

The size of the app is an indicator. I use Navigon and Magellan. Both are nearly 2 gig in size, because they install the map data with the app.
Message 8 of 9
Professor

1.3G on tomtom and has traffic like the others.
Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support