Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 22, 2010
5:44:21 PM
View profile
Agps useage monitoring
When you use agps, for example with a car gps program, is it counted towards your monthly data quota?
When you use agps, for example with a car gps program, is it counted towards your monthly data quota?

Agps useage monitoring

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:48:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm pretty sure it would.

Any one else want to give some feedback?

I'm pretty sure it would.

Any one else want to give some feedback?

Sent from my iPhone 4, powered by iOS 4.3.1.

Re: Agps useage monitoring

2 of 9 (859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:50:04 PM
(0)
Professor
It's an internal ping as far as anyone knows. You get charged for using "maps" and other data download map applications. TomTom is a fullon application. It does ping agps but it's an internal ping as it has a gps chip. If you buy the i4 tomtom kit in the end if the year you'll be covered as it would use the included chip.
It's an internal ping as far as anyone knows. You get charged for using "maps" and other data download map applications. TomTom is a fullon application. It does ping agps but it's an internal ping as it has a gps chip. If you buy the i4 tomtom kit in the end if the year you'll be covered as it would use the included chip.

3 of 9 (846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:51:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by nbaylinson on Jun 22, 2010 at 5:53:03 PM

if you are using data, it will deduct from your data allowance. 

gps programs need to constantly update your position on the route, so youll be using a pretty good amount of data

edit: unless you use a system as stated above

if you are using data, it will deduct from your data allowance. 

gps programs need to constantly update your position on the route, so youll be using a pretty good amount of data

edit: unless you use a system as stated above

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:52:22 PM
(0)
Professor
From a nokia user on
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM

It only uses the data when you first initiate the gps. That is, after the initial 6k transfer, it will NOT use any more data until you turn off the gps, and try to get a lock again. If using the maps application, this means that everytime you start Maps, it will do the 6k transfer, and wont use any more data until you close maps and open it again.
From a nokia user on
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM

It only uses the data when you first initiate the gps. That is, after the initial 6k transfer, it will NOT use any more data until you turn off the gps, and try to get a lock again. If using the maps application, this means that everytime you start Maps, it will do the 6k transfer, and wont use any more data until you close maps and open it again.

5 of 9 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:53:34 PM
(0)
Mentor
It depends. If it is an app like TomTom, which has all the map data on the phone, then it won't be updating through data. If it is like AT&T's Navigator, which doesn't have the mapping data on the phone, you will be using your data quota.
It depends. If it is an app like TomTom, which has all the map data on the phone, then it won't be updating through data. If it is like AT&T's Navigator, which doesn't have the mapping data on the phone, you will be using your data quota.

6 of 9 (825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 5:54:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

that is not how it was explained to me.... my bad

where can i find that information.

that is not how it was explained to me.... my bad

where can i find that information.

7 of 9 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 6:00:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
The size of the app is an indicator. I use Navigon and Magellan. Both are nearly 2 gig in size, because they install the map data with the app.
The size of the app is an indicator. I use Navigon and Magellan. Both are nearly 2 gig in size, because they install the map data with the app.

8 of 9 (798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2010 6:02:08 PM
(0)
Professor
1.3G on tomtom and has traffic like the others.
1.3G on tomtom and has traffic like the others.

9 of 9 (791 Views)