After 3 years, 8 months original iPhone dies. Have a question.

Contributor

After 3 years, 8 months original iPhone dies. Have a question.

The bottom part of the screen quit working.  question is-  my brother will give me a iPhone 3G.  Will I be locked into that phone for 2 years if I start using it instead?  I'm assuming I just move my sim, but they will charge me more having a 3G phone, right?  What if a new phone (iPhone 5) comes out in a couple months I'd rather get? Will I get the cheap upgrade price then?  Thanks for your reply.

Message 1 of 6 (298 Views)
Highlighted

Re: After 3 years, 8 months original iPhone dies. Have a question.

Nah, if you're already paying a data plan you should be able to switch from an original to a 3G and the "system" shoudn't care. Others may have more detailed info, but we've done that switch before and it didn't change anything.

Message 2 of 6 (273 Views)
Scholar

That's pretty impressive that your iPhone lasted almost 4 years!  I'm not a big Apple fan, but I do have to admit that they seem to make better-than-average-quality stuff.

Message 3 of 6 (254 Views)
Master

Very impressive that your iPhone lasted close to four years - the longest-lasting phone I have used so far is only seven and-a-half months... Smiley Indifferent

If you were to use an iPhone 3G from your 2G, that would not affect your contract or your upgrade eligibility date, being that you have provided your own phone. As long as you currently have a data plan on your account, you could just simply move your SIM card from your 2G to the new 3G. If you currently do not have a data plan with your iPhone, an appropriate plan will be assigned to the "new" iPhone 3G you will be using. But as long as you have an active data plan, you should be all set.

Because your upgrade eligibility date would remain the same, you could easily get the iPhone 5 or such when the time comes around. You should be able to get the discounted price.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 6 (216 Views)
Master

seajohn wrote:

That's pretty impressive that your iPhone lasted almost 4 years!  I'm not a big Apple fan, but I do have to admit that they seem to make better-than-average-quality stuff.

It is very impressive. Apple does make great, reliable electronics that last for a long time. I have an iPod Touch (4th Generation) and I love it. It has great battery life and is very useful. I would expect it to last about three years or so. The only problem Apple seems to struggle with is the glass cracking, breaking, or shattering on the screens of their "i" products, particularly the iPod Touch and iPhone, regardless of the model. If you go on eBay, there are plenty of iPhones for sale with shattered or damaged screens - but that could also be that the user was careless. Still, I worry about possibly dropping my Touch in fear that the screen will crack or shatter completely.

I would also enjoy getting an iPhone, but one is not permitted for my plan, unfortunately.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 6 (213 Views)
Former Employee

You won't have to sign a contract, but you'll need to switch from $20 "Original" iPhone data plan to $30 Unlimited plan that is curently used.

Message 6 of 6 (186 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.