After 3 months..can request unlock iphone 4s from AT&T

Contributor

After 3 months..can request unlock iphone 4s from AT&T

hey everyone...i just talk with AT&T reperenative, they told me that...when i open account from AT&T and get iphone 4s, after i pay first 3 months, i will be able to request to unlock the iphone 4s... and they SURE about it...is this true?

Message 1 of 19 (3,836 Views)
Professor

Re: After 3 months..can request unlock iphone 4s from AT&T

The person who told you that is wrong. AT&T has never unlocked an iPhone, even if it's years old and long out of contract.
Message 2 of 19 (3,834 Views)
Contributor

i know right? i was suprise when they told me that 

Message 3 of 19 (3,831 Views)
Master

anhzie wrote:

i know right? i was suprise when they told me that 

Either someone wanted to get a sale and/or is new and/or got confused that that policy does not apply to iPhones.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 19 (3,824 Views)
Expert

It is documented on the ATT FAQS

It is documented right here on ATT's site

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002&​cv=820#fbid=GDjXOvZ-jJY

Message 5 of 19 (3,773 Views)
Guru

Funny how posters looking for iPhone unlock info get criticized for not doing due diligence in knowing where/how to look for such info, yet no one calls AT&T out for employing folks who for whatever reason give out false/incorrect info regarding iPhone unlocks.  I mean, this is not the first or second or third time I've come across a post where someone had indicated that they were told by an AT&T rep that the iPhone could be unlocked.  Funny how the AT&T marks here in this forum don't dare criticize AT&T for such a transgression but they have no problem ridiculing someone for not reading the fine print on the iPhone package.

Message 6 of 19 (3,755 Views)
ACE - Professor

tonester wrote:

Funny how posters looking for iPhone unlock info get criticized for not doing due diligence in knowing where/how to look for such info, yet no one calls AT&T out for employing folks who for whatever reason give out false/incorrect info regarding iPhone unlocks.  I mean, this is not the first or second or third time I've come across a post where someone had indicated that they were told by an AT&T rep that the iPhone could be unlocked.  Funny how the AT&T marks here in this forum don't dare criticize AT&T for such a transgression but they have no problem ridiculing someone for not reading the fine print on the iPhone package.

The issue with self reporting is, it's self reporting. I've personally never experienced this misinformation.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 19 (3,751 Views)
Master

Read my post, it does point out that the rep was wrong but we don't know if they were new, confused or wanted the sale. If you read the OP's second post, they indicate they were surprised and I would take that as looking for confirmation that something is not right. That is different than someone having an iPHone and expecting it to be unlocked.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 8 of 19 (3,704 Views)
Professor

I agree. At&t was the one at fault here. Unless they know something we don't, like that at&t is going to start unlocking iPhones in 3 months (yeah - like that would actually happen). I would be sure that their supervisor knows what promises that Rep was making.
Message 9 of 19 (3,669 Views)

tonester wrote:

I replaced an iPhone 4 with an Atrix.

Got a text message from at&t that stated I had to call 611 or go to an at&t store to switch to a 4G plan.

I went to an at&t corporate store, showed the rep the Atrix and the text message.

His exact words were "you don't need to do anything, you're good to go".

That was 3 months ago, I'm getting regular text messages from at&t directing me to 611 or to go to an at&t store.

Another rep who was seemingly mistaken.

Message 10 of 19 (3,655 Views)

anhzie wrote:

hey everyone...i just talk with AT&T reperenative, they told me that...when i open account from AT&T and get iphone 4s, after i pay first 3 months, i will be able to request to unlock the iphone 4s... and they SURE about it...is this true?

If you open an account with AT&T and get a subsidized phone when opening the account, they will not unlock any phone after just making 3 payments.

If you have completed your 24 months contract without any glitches, ie. late payment or service disconnects, then AT&T has  the "option" to give you an unlock code on any of their phones, EXCEPT APPLE IPHONES. They WILL NOT under any circumstances give unlock codes for APPLE products

There are no laws that require AT&T to give anyone an unlock code..

Message 11 of 19 (3,000 Views)
Master

stclair49 wrote:

anhzie wrote:

If you open an account with AT&T and get a subsidized phone when opening the account, they will not unlock any phone after just making 3 payments.

If you have completed your 24 months contract without any glitches, ie. late payment or service disconnects, then AT&T has  the "option" to give you an unlock code on any of their phones, EXCEPT APPLE IPHONES. They WILL NOT under any circumstances give unlock codes for APPLE products

There are no laws that require AT&T to give anyone an unlock code..

ATT has unlocked phones after three months.  I know this personally!  As you correctly say, iPhones are never unlocked.

Message 12 of 19 (2,988 Views)
ACE - Professor

stclair49 wrote:

Actually, they will. For every phone except the iPhone, this is the standard time limit before you can request a sim-unlock for international travel (which is how you get it, you call in and ask to get a sim unlock so you can use a local sim on your next trip to Europe)

Very possible the rep didn't know about the iPhone exclusion, or the OP misunderstood the rep, or any number of other possible sitcom-worthy mishaps.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002&cv=820

Requirements for monthly wireless plans:

• Your wireless service has been active for 90 days or longer
  • Your account is current and in good standing
  • Your phone is not sold exclusively by AT&T
  • Your phone's unlock code is available from the manufacturer
  • Your phone does not have a long-term exclusive service agreement, or the contract time period has expired

Requirements for prepaid wireless plans with AT&T branded phones:

• You have had AT&T service for six months or longer
  • You can provide a receipt or other proof of purchase

iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 19 (2,936 Views)

And that's why I never take as gospel what a telephone on in-store CSR says. I've had arguments with both first-level CSRs and first-level techs and proven them wrong since I knew their policies, offerings, and devices better than they did. This dates back to the BellSouth Mobility days, when a rep tried to tell me that my dual-mode TDMA/GSM phone would no longer work when BSM retired their TDMA network.

That's why I always recommend to people to do their own research online....bookmark pages, get screenshots, etc. AT&T can say that a CSR made a mistake that they don't have to honor, but they really can't argue about what's printed within their own web site.

tonester wrote:

Message 14 of 19 (2,878 Views)
Guru

johninsj wrote:

tonester wrote:

The issue with self reporting is, it's self reporting. I've personally never experienced this misinformation.

And couldn't your comment (the part I underlined) be construed as being "self reporting" as well...not unless you're trying to imply that self reporting applies only towards those folks who make statements about being given misinformation by another party? Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 19 (2,804 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.