Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 17, 2011
2:41:47 PM
View profile
Adding a phone to an iphone plan = new contract?

My partner is currently upgrade eligible on her old family plan.  She would like to purchase an iPhone and leave that family plan.

I have a regular iPhone plan.  If I add her to my plan and turn it into a family plan would I have to sign a new contract and if so, does this push back my upgrade window?

Thanks.

My partner is currently upgrade eligible on her old family plan.  She would like to purchase an iPhone and leave that family plan.

I have a regular iPhone plan.  If I add her to my plan and turn it into a family plan would I have to sign a new contract and if so, does this push back my upgrade window?

Thanks.

Adding a phone to an iphone plan = new contract?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 2:53:23 PM
(0)
Teacher
You will have to sign a new contract locking you into the family plan but this shouldn't have any effect on your upgrade eligibility
You will have to sign a new contract locking you into the family plan but this shouldn't have any effect on your upgrade eligibility

Re: Adding a phone to an iphone plan = new contract?

2 of 8 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 3:31:09 PM
(0)
Expert

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

the best answer for changin eligibily is depends - with your phone as the primary line if you pay more for the base family line then you do for your current single line plan then no, if it is less then it might.  Not sure but you may lose rollover also

The only new contract wouldbe the one geneerrated by added her phone and line to the family plan, the only thing that a extra line on the family plans share is minutes and designated shared features - like unlimited texting. Her line will have it;'s own 2 year contract, it's own upgrade eligibilty date and it's own requirement for a data plan. By default her upgrade eligibity period will be longer then the primary line.

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

the best answer for changin eligibily is depends - with your phone as the primary line if you pay more for the base family line then you do for your current single line plan then no, if it is less then it might.  Not sure but you may lose rollover also

The only new contract wouldbe the one geneerrated by added her phone and line to the family plan, the only thing that a extra line on the family plans share is minutes and designated shared features - like unlimited texting. Her line will have it;'s own 2 year contract, it's own upgrade eligibilty date and it's own requirement for a data plan. By default her upgrade eligibity period will be longer then the primary line.

3 of 8 (1,671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 1:53:34 PM
(0)
Voyager

All upgrade dates are 20 months now, whether you're the primary line or a 9.99 line with no data.  Also, you wouldn't have to sign any sort of contract "locking you into" a family plan.

All upgrade dates are 20 months now, whether you're the primary line or a 9.99 line with no data.  Also, you wouldn't have to sign any sort of contract "locking you into" a family plan.

4 of 8 (1,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 3:24:07 PM
(0)
Professor

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

no you do not have to sign a new contract. if you add her to your plan and make a family it does not require you to sign a new 2 YEAR contract. me and my wife was on seprate plans. she was added to my plan to make it a family plan i DID NOT have to sign a new 2 year contract.  so you can add her at any time and make it a family plan. i have 2 iphones on my family plan both with unlimited data and i did not have to sing a new contract.

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

no you do not have to sign a new contract. if you add her to your plan and make a family it does not require you to sign a new 2 YEAR contract. me and my wife was on seprate plans. she was added to my plan to make it a family plan i DID NOT have to sign a new 2 year contract.  so you can add her at any time and make it a family plan. i have 2 iphones on my family plan both with unlimited data and i did not have to sing a new contract.

hello!!!

5 of 8 (1,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 3:47:01 PM
(0)
Expert

graphite07 wrote:

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

I beleive that each individual line on a family plan is it's own seperate contract for 2 years, So it you hot two phones in January, both those phones have a two year contract that will end at teh same time, if in july you add a third line, that line has a new 2 yr contract that will end 7 months after the first two lines.

Under user profile on the olam for one of my family plans

Primary  (just upgraded) - contract end date 11/01/2013

Second line contract end datE 10/02/3024

Third line contract end date 10/02/2013 (both lines upgraded on same day

Foruth line contrqct end date 09/19/2012

Fifth line contract end date - 06/10/2013

So each line has it's own contract start and end date

graphite07 wrote:

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

I beleive that each individual line on a family plan is it's own seperate contract for 2 years, So it you hot two phones in January, both those phones have a two year contract that will end at teh same time, if in july you add a third line, that line has a new 2 yr contract that will end 7 months after the first two lines.

6 of 8 (1,584 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 4:11:57 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

what i am trying to say is my wife merged her account to mine for the family plan. AT&T done this for me.

wingrider01 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

what i am trying to say is my wife merged her account to mine for the family plan. AT&T done this for me.

hello!!!

7 of 8 (1,578 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 2:40:01 AM
(0)
Expert

graphite07 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

Misunderstood, merging = no new contract, adding a line = new contract which is what I thought was the question

graphite07 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

johnt444 wrote:

Thanks.

Misunderstood, merging = no new contract, adding a line = new contract which is what I thought was the question

8 of 8 (1,550 Views)