Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 13, 2011
9:23:32 PM
View profile
Adding a line/iPhone... Question!!!

I have the old $30 unlimited data plan, combined with unlimited text and calling...

I am adding another line AND iPhone to my account.

My first questions is:

Do I HAVE TO switch to a family share plan (minutes + texting)? Or can I just have two seperate phones with two seperate calling/texting/data features?

Second: If I do "have to" have a share plan...  I understand my current plan will change over... (minutes + texting).. each phone has a different data plan, data is not shared... so I will still have my unlimited $30 data and the new iPhone/line will have the $15 200MB data plan (that's the one I will be choosing for it)... I will also continue with an unlimited texting and minutes plan, which is the $119.99 plan.... The question at hand is... will I be charged to change my entire plan? As in, will I have to pay the $119.99 + the $30 unlimited texting right then and there once I get that second line opened up... even though I still have not finished my current billing cycle???

Sorry if I sound confusing... I just want to add a second line.. not drop $500+ just to do so...

I have the old $30 unlimited data plan, combined with unlimited text and calling...

I am adding another line AND iPhone to my account.

My first questions is:

Do I HAVE TO switch to a family share plan (minutes + texting)? Or can I just have two seperate phones with two seperate calling/texting/data features?

Second: If I do "have to" have a share plan...  I understand my current plan will change over... (minutes + texting).. each phone has a different data plan, data is not shared... so I will still have my unlimited $30 data and the new iPhone/line will have the $15 200MB data plan (that's the one I will be choosing for it)... I will also continue with an unlimited texting and minutes plan, which is the $119.99 plan.... The question at hand is... will I be charged to change my entire plan? As in, will I have to pay the $119.99 + the $30 unlimited texting right then and there once I get that second line opened up... even though I still have not finished my current billing cycle???

Sorry if I sound confusing... I just want to add a second line.. not drop $500+ just to do so...

Adding a line/iPhone... Question!!!

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 9:50:22 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hnzw_rui on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:52:05 PM

No, you don't have to switch your current line to a Family Talk plan. You can have 2 Individual accounts. Having 2 separate accounts is just going to cost you more per month. I'm not sure if you can retain your unlimited data if you switch to Family Talk.

By the way, I don't know if you've done the math yet, but over the life of the 2-year contract, that separate individual account for the iPhone 4S is going to cost you $1,320 minimum (not including any upfront device cost, activation fee or taxes). Seriously, if all you want is the phone and you're still on contract, I'd just buy an unlocked iPhone if I were you.

No, you don't have to switch your current line to a Family Talk plan. You can have 2 Individual accounts. Having 2 separate accounts is just going to cost you more per month. I'm not sure if you can retain your unlimited data if you switch to Family Talk.

By the way, I don't know if you've done the math yet, but over the life of the 2-year contract, that separate individual account for the iPhone 4S is going to cost you $1,320 minimum (not including any upfront device cost, activation fee or taxes). Seriously, if all you want is the phone and you're still on contract, I'd just buy an unlocked iPhone if I were you.

Re: Adding a line/iPhone... Question!!!

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (3,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 10:09:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am not getting an iPhone 4S... But the iPhone 4 8 GB in white.. and it's for my significant other. I just wanted to know if I had to change anything and what I can expect to happen. I did the math and with or with out a family share plan the combine total for both lines will be between $185-$200 before taxes.

I have the iPhone 4 GB with unlimited calling, texting, and data which averages about $125 a month. I want to add another line/iPhone.. the 8 GB iPhone 4 with 200 MB of data for $15 and unlimited texting for $20 and 400 anytime minutes for $39.99... so I am looking at $75 for the second line.. that is $200 total...

if I were to switch to a family share plan, unlimited calling for both lines will be $119.99 -- unlimited texting will be $30 for both lines -- that is $150 without data.. when you add my unlimited $30 data and the $15 200 MB data that comes out to total $195.00 give or take.. so I will be paying the same amount with or without a family share plan, to my understanding.....

I just really wanted to know if I do happen to add a line... will I have to pay for the new plan upfront even though I am still on my current billing cycle??? My bill was just payed 2 weeks ago... will I have to pay the new amount (-/+ $200) PLUS the new phone activation ($36) and handset ($99)... ???

I am not getting an iPhone 4S... But the iPhone 4 8 GB in white.. and it's for my significant other. I just wanted to know if I had to change anything and what I can expect to happen. I did the math and with or with out a family share plan the combine total for both lines will be between $185-$200 before taxes.

I have the iPhone 4 GB with unlimited calling, texting, and data which averages about $125 a month. I want to add another line/iPhone.. the 8 GB iPhone 4 with 200 MB of data for $15 and unlimited texting for $20 and 400 anytime minutes for $39.99... so I am looking at $75 for the second line.. that is $200 total...

if I were to switch to a family share plan, unlimited calling for both lines will be $119.99 -- unlimited texting will be $30 for both lines -- that is $150 without data.. when you add my unlimited $30 data and the $15 200 MB data that comes out to total $195.00 give or take.. so I will be paying the same amount with or without a family share plan, to my understanding.....

I just really wanted to know if I do happen to add a line... will I have to pay for the new plan upfront even though I am still on my current billing cycle??? My bill was just payed 2 weeks ago... will I have to pay the new amount (-/+ $200) PLUS the new phone activation ($36) and handset ($99)... ???

3 of 5 (3,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 10:20:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

ranger2kill wrote:

If you don't need unlimited minutes on the second line, then yeah, it shouldn't cost much more than a family unlimited. If you create an individual account for your SO, then you'd get separate billing so it really wouldn't affect your current bill. In general, though, if you add a line and stuff, they just pro-rate your next bill so you'll see a bigger bill but it doesn't really change your billing cycle. You pay the handset cost and sales taxes upfront. The activation fee, you'll see on your first bill.

ranger2kill wrote:

If you don't need unlimited minutes on the second line, then yeah, it shouldn't cost much more than a family unlimited. If you create an individual account for your SO, then you'd get separate billing so it really wouldn't affect your current bill. In general, though, if you add a line and stuff, they just pro-rate your next bill so you'll see a bigger bill but it doesn't really change your billing cycle. You pay the handset cost and sales taxes upfront. The activation fee, you'll see on your first bill.

4 of 5 (3,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2011 10:41:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks a lot, hnzw_rui! You have been of great help. 

Thanks a lot, hnzw_rui! You have been of great help. 

5 of 5 (3,453 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments