Activation fees

Contributor

Activation fees

I was with Sprint wireless, but decided to make a change because of poor coverage from Sprint while visiting family in Vermont. And when we could get coverage, we were roaming. After shopping Verizon & AT&T we decided to go with AT&T because we knew they had better coverage back east, and their selection of phones was a little bigger than Verizon. After selecting a plan and phone for me and my girlfriend, we were ready to make our purchase online. I noticed that they were going to charge us $60 in activation fees, which I felt was extensive. So I called AT&T to see if they would be willing to wave activation fees as a customer curiosity. I have dealt with a lot of cell phone activations, and know this is done often. AT&T was unwilling to bend on activation fees, and was willing to lose my business because of this. So we went with Verizon who was more than willing to void activation and take our business. Customer service doesn't seem to be a priority for AT&T, so I suggest you con't to shop around. 

Thanks, 

Randall {personal info edited}

Vancouver WA. 

Message 1 of 8
Employee

Re: Activation fees

ya know, if you get one representative that isnt willing to do something for you, that doesnt mean another representative doesnt have the ability or desire to help you.  i know you will find this with all companies, including verizon.  im sorry that the first person you spoke with wasnt willing to help and that you went to verizon but how can you fault a whole company after speaking to one person?  that person may have been having a bad day, their dog may have died anything is possible and while it is not supposed to affect customer service reps when trying to help their customers, i can guarantee you that it does bc we're all human. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

That's a ridiculous argument.  Employees are supposed to conduct business according to company policy, not according to the trials and tribulations of their personal lives or even their personal feelings.   An employee either is or isn't allowed to negotiate and companies provide guidelines.  It's not up to the employee to do so dependent upon their mood or some other whim.  If that's a problem for someone, then perhaps customer service isn't the correct occupation for that person.

As to judging a company based on one encounter, why should a new or potential new customer sign up with a company that gives poor customer service right off the bat?  What would lead anyone to believe that it will get better?

Defending poor customer service is as bad as giving poor customer service - there's really no excuse.

Message 3 of 8

twoimps wrote:

That's a ridiculous argument.  Employees are supposed to conduct business according to company policy, not according to the trials and tribulations of their personal lives or even their personal feelings.   An employee either is or isn't allowed to negotiate and companies provide guidelines.  It's not up to the employee to do so dependent upon their mood or some other whim.  If that's a problem for someone, then perhaps customer service isn't the correct occupation for that person.

As to judging a company based on one encounter, why should a new or potential new customer sign up with a company that gives poor customer service right off the bat?  What would lead anyone to believe that it will get better?

Defending poor customer service is as bad as giving poor customer service - there's really no excuse.

On the contrary, we are allowed to negotiate. Company policy states clearly that activation, reconnect fees, late fees etc are valid charges and should not be waived, but it is done all the time. I don't think the other post was a defense of poor customer service, in fact the first rep that the OP spoke to was correct to not waive the activation fees, so I really don't see any poor customer service there. Just because you call customer service, and they don't give you that answer that you are wanting, doesn't mean that you didn't get good customer service.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 4 of 8

To the OP, did you tell Verizon that AT&T wouldn't waive your activation fees? I would gather that this would be the only reason why they would have waived them, just to get your business. Not saying this to be cras, but I see that happen all the time.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 5 of 8
Guru

twoimps wrote:

No, your argument is ridiculous, just because customers don't get what they want when they want even if they know there's the possibility that they won't get it doesn't mean the company or the agents are giving them bad customer service.

The activation, reconnection and upgrade fees are regulatory charges that ALWAYS apply when a line is activated, reconnected or upgraded, respectively, and help to reduce operational costs that allow the price discount for all phones AT&T offer. We are not allowed to credit them, but we do it anyway sometimes (again, SOMETIMES) as courtesy or one time credits, this depending on the customer, his payment history, his time with the company, etc. Believe me that if AT&T were to remove completely those fees, the commitment prices for new phones would be higher than now.

Of course, and again, we sometimes offer to waive those fees depending of the situation, but you need to be aware that we're not obliged to credit it, again, we're not allowed to remove it at all, is a fee that the customer must pay to obtain a benefit that would be a phone at discount price (except for the reconnection fee, that is a penalty when an account is suspended due to non payments).

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8

Virtual wrote:

twoimps wrote:

No, your argument is ridiculous, just because customers don't get what they want when they want even if they know there's the possibility that they won't get it doesn't mean the company or the agents are giving them bad customer service.

The activation, reconnection and upgrade fees are regulatory charges that ALWAYS apply when a line is activated, reconnected or upgraded, respectively, and help to reduce operational costs that allow the price discount for all phones AT&T offer. We are not allowed to credit them, but we do it anyway sometimes (again, SOMETIMES) as courtesy or one time credits, this depending on the customer, his payment history, his time with the company, etc. Believe me that if AT&T were to remove completely those fees, the commitment prices for new phones would be higher than now.

Of course, and again, we sometimes offer to waive those fees depending of the situation, but you need to be aware that we're not obliged to credit it, again, we're not allowed to remove it at all, is a fee that the customer must pay to obtain a benefit that would be a phone at discount price (except for the reconnection fee, that is a penalty when an account is suspended due to non payments).

Exactly.

Message 7 of 8
Professor

twoimps, you cannot really comment on where ATT policy starts and stops due to you not being an employee, dont ya think?

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support