Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 26, 2012
9:40:26 AM
View profile
Activation doesn't even get to first step
Edited by u2jrmw on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:13:46 AM

I am trying to activate a microcell that a friend gave me. I go through registration and all seems to be well. I get to the Activation Progress screen and nothing happens. Not even the "Power Up Pending" step lights up.

I have 3 steady green lights on the unit (Power, Internet and GPS).

I ended up giving the unit a static IP and putting it in the DMZ, but this hasn't helped.

I have power cycled it a number of times, I left it "activating" overnight last night and got no messages at all. I have removed it and re-registered it, not sure what to try next...

I have observed the microcell network activity over NTP and HTTPS, but then it just seems to stop doing anything after a few minutes.

So I see an NTP call  and then I see

192.168.1.20012.230.208.41TCPhttps

Accepted

twice and then nothing for a while, and then the three calls repeat.

James

I am trying to activate a microcell that a friend gave me. I go through registration and all seems to be well. I get to the Activation Progress screen and nothing happens. Not even the "Power Up Pending" step lights up.

I ended up giving the unit a static IP and putting it in the DMZ, but this hasn't helped.

I have power cycled it a number of times, I left it "activating" overnight last night and got no messages at all. I have removed it and re-registered it, not sure what to try next...

I have observed the microcell network activity over NTP and HTTPS, but then it just seems to stop doing anything after a few minutes.

Accepted

James

Activation doesn't even get to first step

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 10:36:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

u2jrmw wrote:

Accepted

James

You need to have the 3G light green as well, otherwise it won't register. I'm assuming it's within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, at least 24" away from any WiFi device, and your friend deactivated the MicroCell from his account before he gave it to you.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

u2jrmw wrote:

Accepted

James

You need to have the 3G light green as well, otherwise it won't register. I'm assuming it's within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky, at least 24" away from any WiFi device, and your friend deactivated the MicroCell from his account before he gave it to you.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Activation doesn't even get to first step

2 of 10 (2,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 10:39:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

i thought the WiFi didn't go solid until the whole process was complete. The GPS light is solid, I thought that meant it had a GPS lock. I am not sure if my friend deactivated it.

I am looking at this screen:

i thought the WiFi didn't go solid until the whole process was complete. The GPS light is solid, I thought that meant it had a GPS lock. I am not sure if my friend deactivated it.

I am looking at this screen:

3 of 10 (2,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 12:09:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by u2jrmw on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:23:23 PM

I just saw it contacting a slightly different server

192.168.1.20012.230.208.44TCPhttpsAccepted

And here it is using NTP

192.168.1.20012.230.208.48UDPntpAccepted

Another IP

192.168.1.20012.230.209.130TCPhttpsAccepted

I just saw it contacting a slightly different server

And here it is using NTP

192.168.1.20012.230.208.48UDPntpAccepted

Another IP

192.168.1.20012.230.209.130TCPhttpsAccepted

[ Edited ]
4 of 10 (2,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 6:03:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

I called tech support. They weren't much help. Pretty much said they are waiting for GPS lock although I always have solid GPS light. Didn't really know much about the microcell.

I called tech support. They weren't much help. Pretty much said they are waiting for GPS lock although I always have solid GPS light. Didn't really know much about the microcell.

5 of 10 (2,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2012 8:58:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

I ended up moving the microcell to priority setup (directly behind the cable modem), still doesn't seem to be doing anything about activating...

I ended up moving the microcell to priority setup (directly behind the cable modem), still doesn't seem to be doing anything about activating...

6 of 10 (2,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2012 8:14:09 AM
(0)
Contributor
Same issue here. Got the MC from a friend, he disconnected it. All three icons are flashing except for the bars, which flashes every 2 seconds.
Same issue here. Got the MC from a friend, he disconnected it. All three icons are flashing except for the bars, which flashes every 2 seconds.

7 of 10 (1,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 4:49:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

rc89pl wrote:

I have an escalated incident now where they are supposed to get me an answer in a few days... I am not holding my breath. Glad I didn't actually go out and buy this thing. This was a last ditch attempt to get my wife to get an iPhone on AT&T, but now I guess we will both end up on Verizon.

rc89pl wrote:

I have an escalated incident now where they are supposed to get me an answer in a few days... I am not holding my breath. Glad I didn't actually go out and buy this thing. This was a last ditch attempt to get my wife to get an iPhone on AT&T, but now I guess we will both end up on Verizon.

8 of 10 (1,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 4:00:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

I chatted with one of the reps about the problem, he couldn't help, told me to call.

Called the Microcell expert, he told me to do same process, no luck. Told me to either replace it or talk with my internet provider.

So yeah, they have no clue.

I live in a condo, internet shared by many people but I still have 10mbs at most time so it shouldn't be an issue. Although I read that the firewall can be blocking the 3G.

Not sure how to go around it though.

I chatted with one of the reps about the problem, he couldn't help, told me to call.

Called the Microcell expert, he told me to do same process, no luck. Told me to either replace it or talk with my internet provider.

So yeah, they have no clue.

I live in a condo, internet shared by many people but I still have 10mbs at most time so it shouldn't be an issue. Although I read that the firewall can be blocking the 3G.

Not sure how to go around it though.

9 of 10 (1,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2012 6:39:05 PM
(0)
Scholar
So I was at work today and I got atext saying my Microcell had been activated. Shortly after that I got an email saying my case had been resolved but no additional info. Got home and a solid 3G light. My phone switched onto the cell without a reboot. I went ahead and moved the Microcell back behind my router (in the DMZ still) and after a few minutes it was back up and working. Seems to be working pretty well. So my advice is escalate the case.
So I was at work today and I got atext saying my Microcell had been activated. Shortly after that I got an email saying my case had been resolved but no additional info. Got home and a solid 3G light. My phone switched onto the cell without a reboot. I went ahead and moved the Microcell back behind my router (in the DMZ still) and after a few minutes it was back up and working. Seems to be working pretty well. So my advice is escalate the case.

10 of 10 (1,938 Views)