Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 9, 2011
7:51:38 AM
View profile
Activation SIM card on iphone

Hello,

I live in France and I needed an AT&T micro sim card to use my iphone I bought in USA.

I activated the sim card online but I don't have any network. On my iphone there is this message : "Waiting for activation".

So how long do I have to wait?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Hello,

I live in France and I needed an AT&T micro sim card to use my iphone I bought in USA.

I activated the sim card online but I don't have any network. On my iphone there is this message : "Waiting for activation".

So how long do I have to wait?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Activation SIM card on iphone

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 8:05:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

Assuming it's a GoPhone SIM card, I don't think it'll activate unless you go back to the US. GoPhone only does international roaming in Canada and Mexico.

Assuming it's a GoPhone SIM card, I don't think it'll activate unless you go back to the US. GoPhone only does international roaming in Canada and Mexico.

Re: Activation SIM card on iphone

2 of 14 (1,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 8:22:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's a Gophone...the seller didn't tell me anything about this detail...

Well, what to do now? Which sim card could work?

Thanks

Regards

It's a Gophone...the seller didn't tell me anything about this detail...

Well, what to do now? Which sim card could work?

Thanks

Regards

3 of 14 (1,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 9:36:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

Curious, why do you need an AT&T SIM? Is your iPhone SIM locked to AT&T? Do you know someone who might be able to help you with unlocking it so you can use a SIM card from one of your local carriers?

As for why the seller didn't tell you about it, unless you specifically mentioned you plan on using it in France, he probably wouldn't have thought of it. It's also possible that he didn't know about the limitation on GoPhone int'l roaming.

Curious, why do you need an AT&T SIM? Is your iPhone SIM locked to AT&T? Do you know someone who might be able to help you with unlocking it so you can use a SIM card from one of your local carriers?

As for why the seller didn't tell you about it, unless you specifically mentioned you plan on using it in France, he probably wouldn't have thought of it. It's also possible that he didn't know about the limitation on GoPhone int'l roaming.

4 of 14 (1,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 9:57:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes I need an AT&T sim card to unlock my iphone to use it in France.

This concerns only Gophone or I can buy another pre paid AT&T sim card??

Yes I need an AT&T sim card to unlock my iphone to use it in France.

This concerns only Gophone or I can buy another pre paid AT&T sim card??

5 of 14 (1,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 3:43:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Per AT&T and Apple's policy on iPhones, iPhones cannot be unlocked once they are already locked to a specific carrier. Neither company will unlock them. The only way to get an unlocked iPhone is to purchase one factory unlocked either directly from Apple or from a third party seller such as eBay, etc.

I would suggest returning or selling the iPhone you currently have, and then purchase another one you are completely sure is factory unlocked to use with non-U.S. carriers.

The reason why you are not seeing any service on your iPhone is because AT&T does not have service towers in France and they do not roam there, either. You can use the SIM currently in your iPhone, but you will not be able to use it as a phone unless you return back to the United States where AT&T towers are available to give you service. Getting another SIM card will not make a difference either, unfortunately.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Per AT&T and Apple's policy on iPhones, iPhones cannot be unlocked once they are already locked to a specific carrier. Neither company will unlock them. The only way to get an unlocked iPhone is to purchase one factory unlocked either directly from Apple or from a third party seller such as eBay, etc.

I would suggest returning or selling the iPhone you currently have, and then purchase another one you are completely sure is factory unlocked to use with non-U.S. carriers.

The reason why you are not seeing any service on your iPhone is because AT&T does not have service towers in France and they do not roam there, either. You can use the SIM currently in your iPhone, but you will not be able to use it as a phone unless you return back to the United States where AT&T towers are available to give you service. Getting another SIM card will not make a difference either, unfortunately.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 14 (1,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 1:19:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

I guess it's normal if I have no network but I don't have either the green call logo...that's why I thought I need an AT&T to activate my iphone.

I'm using it as an ipod untill I find a solution.

I guess it's normal if I have no network but I don't have either the green call logo...that's why I thought I need an AT&T to activate my iphone.

I'm using it as an ipod untill I find a solution.

7 of 14 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 2:42:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Alright. Have you considered purchasing/trading for an unlocked iPhone?

Alright. Have you considered purchasing/trading for an unlocked iPhone?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 14 (1,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 5:58:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

I didn't think it was so complicated!

I don't have the green logo to phone, no e-mails or text message, what does it mean??

I didn't think it was so complicated!

I don't have the green logo to phone, no e-mails or text message, what does it mean??

9 of 14 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 2:55:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
What exactly do you mean by "green logo"? I'm confused. Could it be something such as this, for example?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcKrn-p3QCxOcjSjM4Gr3y0SvBEgQ6hkGuw6nzR2nkO23iCtCjVw

What exactly do you mean by "green logo"? I'm confused. Could it be something such as this, for example?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcKrn-p3QCxOcjSjM4Gr3y0SvBEgQ6hkGuw6nzR2nkO23iCtCjVw

10 of 14 (1,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 1:48:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes exactly!

No phone icon, photo, camera, text, safari,...

Yes exactly!

No phone icon, photo, camera, text, safari,...

11 of 14 (1,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 6:15:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Wow...okay. That is very odd... I have never heard something like this before.

Are those options grayed out? In other words, are they completely unusable?

Wow...okay. That is very odd... I have never heard something like this before.

Are those options grayed out? In other words, are they completely unusable?

12 of 14 (1,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 10:37:18 AM
(0)
Scholar
There's something seriously wrong with that iPhone if it doesn't even show the photo, camera and Safari icons.
There's something seriously wrong with that iPhone if it doesn't even show the photo, camera and Safari icons.

13 of 14 (1,022 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2011 4:37:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Restore the phone using itunes and set it up as a new phone. See if it works after that.

Restore the phone using itunes and set it up as a new phone. See if it works after that.

14 of 14 (1,014 Views)