Activating iPhones purchased directly from www.apple.com (unlocked versions)

Activating iPhones purchased directly from www.apple.com (unlocked versions)

What about the unlocked versions? How do I go about buying a plan for that? I don't want another useless locked phone like I already have when I need to move to another country.

Message 1 of 10 (768 Views)
Master

Re: Activating iPhones purchased directly from www.apple.com (unlocked versions)

If you have an unlocked iPhone from Apple, the activation process with ATT does NOT lock it! You can get a month to month plan without a contract with out any issues. You do not need the contract since you did not buy discounted hardware.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 10 (762 Views)

Re: Activating iPhones purchased directly from www.apple.com (unlocked versions)

Nope their monthly plans also require you to buy a phone. I'm needing the plan/SIM only. I wonder if I can get just the SIM at Best Buy or similar places.

Message 3 of 10 (759 Views)
Master

NO!  You can get a plan directly from ATT without a contract.  You need to go to a corporate store and they will GIVE you a SIM for NO COST and set you up.  If they try to get you to sign a contract, politely tell them you have your own hardware and are eligible for no-contract plan.  If the rep still get's it wrong, ask for the manager.

You do not want to pay for a SIM anywhere as it is wasted money!  As a matter of fact your iPHone probably has an ATT SIM in it already that a corporate store can activate without any contract!

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 4 of 10 (755 Views)
Master

Part of what is confusing here is that they do not advertise a month to month plan without a contact as most people do not bring their own hardware or plan to use the go-phone which also does not require a contract but does not officially support the iPhone.

Message 5 of 10 (751 Views)

As a matter of fact my current iPhone 3GS was bought in Japan with Softbank. Now if AT&T or anyone else can activate this SIM with my phone on their service, I'd be more than happy to buy a plan with them.

Message 6 of 10 (750 Views)
Master

Is your 3GS unlocked or is it locked to Softbank? ATT does not activate your SIM, they give you a new one that is for ATT but do not lock your iPhone to their network. If your 3GS is not unlocked, you may want to see if Softbank unlocks iphones????? If not, explore google for options or purchase an unlocked iPHone 4S from Apple.

Message 7 of 10 (744 Views)

[ Edited ]

Current phone is locked to Softbank. Softbank will not unlock it for any reason. To avoid this {Inappropriate content removed} hassle again, I'm wanting to buy my new iPhone direct from Apple, unlocked, and buy a plan that can be used with an iPhone. Prepaid would be better in the beginning until I can find a permanent job then a regular plan will be good.

Since AT&T is a hassle online, will I get the same hassle in person? All I'm wanting is an unlimted data, text message, iMessage plan, with a cheap voice plan since I rarely use it as an actual phone. Will I be able to get this?

Message 8 of 10 (735 Views)
Master

untmdsprt1 wrote:

Current phone is locked to Softbank. Softbank will not unlock it for any reason. To avoid this effing hassle again, I'm wanting to buy my new iPhone direct from Apple, unlocked, and buy a plan that can be used with an iPhone. Prepaid would be better in the beginning until I can find a permanent job then a regular plan will be good.

Since AT&T is a hassle online, will I get the same hassle in person? All I'm wanting is an unlimted data, text message, iMessage plan, with a cheap voice plan since I rarely use it as an actual phone. Will I be able to get this?

You can get moth to month on a post paid plan but may need a deposit but NO contract so you can drop at any time.  You should not have any issues at a corporate store.  Online is not really setup to deal with your case.  

ATT does not support the iPhone on  a pre-paid plan so you would need to look at the post paid plan but again you do not need a contract if you get an unlocked iPhone from Apple.

The cheapest plan is for a 450 minute plan at about $40/month.  DAta is going to be either $30 for 3GB or $20 for 300mb/month.  They do not offer unlimited data plans anymore.  Unlimited text is $20 and iMessage would use your data from the data plan so no additional cost there.

Message 9 of 10 (731 Views)
Highlighted

Looks like what I need to do is just buy a prepaid phone now, and then when I can buy an unlocked iPhone, either use the same sim from the prepaid (cut down to size), or get a regular plan.

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 10 (725 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.