Activated but 3G light continues to flash

Teacher

Activated but 3G light continues to flash

OK, so I've successfully activated my microcell 2x (thought re-trying the activation might help but no luck). I get the text that it's activated and should be working but bottom 3g light never stops flashing. Top 3 lights are solid green.

Won't even go into how unhelpful ATT has been...I see this place is full of those threads.

My question is this: what are the things that could be causing a communication error? I'm assuming its a default firewall on my Time Warner cable modem but just don't know what settings to change. ATT says they don't know either. Not 100% sure this is the problem but can't think of anything else.

If it helps, ATT Tech Support says they get an error message that some communication error has occurred and I should recycle the microcell's power...Obviously, I've tried that.

Message 1 of 32 (2,821 Views)
Teacher

Re: Activated but 3G light continues to flash

Used CS chat this morning. There are no outages listed in the main outage list that regular customer service can see. This may be why people get different stories from support.

Message 16 of 32 (1,512 Views)
ACE - Master

Sounds like AT&T updated their MicroCell system sometime in the middle of the night causing some, but not all, to lose their connectivity once the system came back up. Same thing happened in March in the SF Bay Area. I was out for about 10 days and even went thru a couple of warranty replacements. Support is useless as you've seen because they are not kept informed or current as to what actually happened. Fixes are variable. For me, complete shutdown, non-priority mode setup with port forwarding to a permanent IP address fixed my problem but that doesn't work for everyone. I think whatever update they did does not play nice with the various cable/DSL routers out there and you'll just have to mess around to get it to work. Totally unacceptable on AT&Ts part but the alternatives are few for some.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 32 (1,504 Views)

I agree - please post when you come back up (particularly Florida) so we know if is a lcoal problem or not.....Im still down in Central Florida....

Message 18 of 32 (1,472 Views)
Contributor

7:19pm CONNECTED again!!! Central Florida

Message 19 of 32 (1,460 Views)

Yes - I just came back up as well - looks like back ibn business!

Message 20 of 32 (1,455 Views)
Contributor

*******UPDATE***** 6/6/11 Came home from work today and the Microcell was up and running.  Im in the Florida Tampa Bay area on Bright House Cable.  Dont know what happened but its working like it did before.  I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything else.

Message 21 of 32 (1,523 Views)
Tutor

Ok, this going to sound strange but I am including the whole story. 

Called CS yesterday morning and was told they still had the network problem and did not have an ETA on when it might be fixed.  I tried a couple things on my end just for the fun of it and as I suspected it didn't connect.  I unregistered the MC and unplugged it and there it sat till the evening.  I gotta say first that I think what I am about to relate is probably a coincidence However.....................................stranger things have happened.  My wife plays a couple of the zynga games on FB (cityville, frontierville) and the same day the MC went out she has not been able to accecpt requests in the games.  I was sitting on the front porch about 8:30 pm last night and my wife comes out and says "I know that one probably doesn't have anything to do with the other but I am now able to accept game requests, do you thing the MC might work now?"  I told I didn't think so, but went in and plugged it in and registered it on the website, went back out on the porch and lo and behold ten minutes later I get the text from AT&T saying the registration is complete.  Look at my Iphone and lo and behold it's actually working.  Was still working this morning when I left for work.  There has been no hardware changes, I did set the MTU in the router to 1492 and give the MC an IP through the mac addressing, and also gave it priority.  But I had already done all that and tried it at least 4 or 5 times before with those same changes and it didn't work.

Not sure what happened, just glad it is now working.  I also live in northeast Florida if that helps anyone.

Message 22 of 32 (1,479 Views)
Tutor

Meant to also add that I had and still have mine hooked up in standard mode.  I have the cable from the microcell going into one of my 4 LAN ports on my router.  I am thinking about doing it in priority mode, but maybe not.  I did that once before and it seemed to slow my internet down, so I will probably leave it as is.

Message 23 of 32 (1,477 Views)
Contributor

Well, glad to see so many others in Florida having problems...well, not glad...just happy I'm not crazy.  I just got my MicroCell yesterday and thankfully it was a free offer, so I didn't pay for it.  I set it up yesterday but never got anything but the blinking 3G lights.  Same issue as the author of this post.  Tried to reset the whole thing today (while on chat with AT&T), and it's been over 3 hours and still nothing...blinking light.

I have no clue how to deal with the "firewall" issue that others mentioned.  We have horrible reception in our house and I was hoping this would help as both my husband and myself use our cell phones for work (and we work from home).  Looks like we will just have to keep walking outside to have a conversation.  shrug.

Message 24 of 32 (1,292 Views)
ACE - Master

acorreia7 wrote:

Well, glad to see so many others in Florida having problems...well, not glad...just happy I'm not crazy.  I just got my MicroCell yesterday and thankfully it was a free offer, so I didn't pay for it.  I set it up yesterday but never got anything but the blinking 3G lights.  Same issue as the author of this post.  Tried to reset the whole thing today (while on chat with AT&T), and it's been over 3 hours and still nothing...blinking light.

I have no clue how to deal with the "firewall" issue that others mentioned.  We have horrible reception in our house and I was hoping this would help as both my husband and myself use our cell phones for work (and we work from home).  Looks like we will just have to keep walking outside to have a conversation.  shrug.

If you tell us what your setup is there may be someone here to help you. I had to do port forwarding etc back in March and  my MicroCell has been fine since. Hopefully AT&T will get the problems on the East Coast resolved soon and you won't have any problems, however, if you call support you probably won't get any help.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 32 (1,285 Views)
Teacher

Hey guys and girls you are knocking your brains out. I live in South Carolina and could't get the microcell working in my house. The ATT Office of the President had one of their top technical support people call me. After 2 days we concluded that the device would not work with my modem/router unless I made significant changes to the router which my ISP tech support said would screwup my home network. The ATT Tech Support person implied that the ATT MicroCell hasn't been tested with every router and until it is you they aren't sure of the results. By the way I brought the same device to my daughters house in New York and it was up and running in 30 minutes.
Message 26 of 32 (1,279 Views)
ACE - Master

dilorenzoc wrote:
Hey guys and girls you are knocking your brains out. I live in South Carolina and could't get the microcell working in my house. The ATT Office of the President had one of their top technical support people call me. After 2 days we concluded that the device would not work with my modem/router unless I made significant changes to the router which my ISP tech support said would screwup my home network. The ATT Tech Support person implied that the ATT MicroCell hasn't been tested with every router and until it is you they aren't sure of the results. By the way I brought the same device to my daughters house in New York and it was up and running in 30 minutes.

That has been stated many times before on this board. However, the changes the support person was talking about were probably port forwarding and IP assigment which works for many, but not all, and does nothing to their home network. I'd be suspicious of your ISP tech support unless you have something like PPoE.

Message 27 of 32 (1,276 Views)
Contributor

I am having the same problems. I thought I did the port forwarding correctly but then again I am not the most tech savvy of peoeple. I also moved it into the Type C configuration with no success.

My internet setup is Uverse with a Cisco E1000 router. Any advice?

Message 28 of 32 (1,238 Views)
Teacher

Can somebody elaborate on the port forwarding specifics?  I can fix this easy and I am sure

more routers, but need to know the port range, TCP/UDP, etc.  - is this documented somewhere?

I am in PA and assigned a static IP address, but no luck.  If I don't have to port forward for my

Vonage adapter, I shouldn't for this thing.  Somebody please let us all know!

Message 29 of 32 (1,219 Views)
ACE - Master

smr2112 wrote:

Can somebody elaborate on the port forwarding specifics?  I can fix this easy and I am sure

more routers, but need to know the port range, TCP/UDP, etc.  - is this documented somewhere?

I am in PA and assigned a static IP address, but no luck.  If I don't have to port forward for my

Vonage adapter, I shouldn't for this thing.  Somebody please let us all know!

Port forwarding shouldn't be necessary but after I was updated in March, that is the only way I can get my MicroCell to work. And to be honest, it has been trouble-free since, even after power outages. This is what I have in my notes on port forwarding:

1. DHCP is on
  2. Port blocking is either turned off of allowing ports 4500 and 500
  3. MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the MicroCell
  4. IPSec Pass-Through in enabled
  5. Block Fragmented Packets is disabled
  6. Make sure that NAT is enabled on only one device (the modem or the router)
  7. Make sure your router is using it’s latest firmware
  8. TCP/UDP Ports:

123/UDP

443/TCP

4500/UDP

500/UDP

9.   You may also have to assign a static IP address to the MicroCell based on its MAC address

Additional Troubleshooting:

1. Ping or perform an NSLookup on femtocell.wireless.att.com. If the address does not resolve to 12.230.x.x, manually map the name to the IP address or change to an alternate DNS server.
  2. Temporarily disable Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI). If this resolves the issue, re-enable SPI and contact your router manufacturer.

Message 30 of 32 (1,207 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.