Account Transfer and Upgrade

Contributor

Account Transfer and Upgrade

Some background:  I am trying to transfer my fiancé's account to my account.  I did a Transfer of Billing responsibility and tried to add her line to my current account but it then said the number was ineligible.  This I found out was not possible for us because my number is from NJ and hers is from VA and you cannot combine numbers from different "billing areas".  I would have like to have one account so I could do a family talk plan but I guess I can deal with this.  I could change my phone number do be from the same area but I don't want a new number.

The Transfer of Billing gave me a choice to add a new account under my name.  I get a 15% employee discount through my employer so while we can't do a family talk under one account, I could still have her line under my name in a new account and get the discount. This way we can keep the same numbers and get a discount.

QUESTION: Her CONTRACT ENDED 3 months ago and is eligible for an upgrade. Will she still be eligible for an upgrade after transferring to a new account under my name? I received three responses from calling AT&T support 3 different times:

Answer 1: The system MAY not allow her. Should upgrade first.

Answer 2: You are only moving the contract over. If you make no changes, then the contract remains the same and you will be able to upgrade.

Answer 3:  MAY not be able to.  Someone called the other day after doing this and they had to sign a new contract.

The reason why I want to upgrade after the transfer is because the Refurbished Iphone 4s only seem to be available on my Premier AT&T site through my Employer discount program.

The "Agreement" that I need to agree to at the end of the transfer process is:

• The full remaining contract term will be moved over from the date the transfer takes place.
  • Financial responsibility will begin once the Transfer is completed.
  • The new account holder must select a rate plan/promotion and additional services/features that are currently offered.
  • All features are being removed. Please check the features page after completing this request to add any additional features.
    • If you have voice mail, your messages may get erased. Please check your messages prior to completing this request.
    • If you have a PDA or Smartphone an appropriate data feature is automatically being added.

SO THIS DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT AGREEING TO A NEW 2 YEAR CONTRACT.  Answer 2 above said if I make no changes I can upgrade. It is making me change the data plan, however, the terms do not say I am entering a new 2 year contract. Therefore, I should still be eligible for an upgrade. Why can't AT&T tell me BEFORE I agree to something if I definitely CAN or CANNOT upgrade afterwards.  I told the person from Answer 3 it says nothing about a new contract. I also asked once I press the agree button, and it tells me I can't upgrade, how hard is it to argue that I should be eligible and be able to upgrade? She said file a complaint that can take 3 months!  

Message 1 of 1
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support