Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 9, 2011
6:36:41 AM
View profile
Access slow down
Edited by Taylarie on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:38:20 AM

I am deeply concerned about your email saying that you are going to slow down my data access.  Four years ago when you were advertizing the unlimited data plan it was never stated that if you took advantage of the plan at some point AT&T would slow down you access.  It was anticipated as unlimited data with no strings attached.  I took AT&T at its word that I would get unlimited data when I agreed to take the unlimited data plan four years ago.   Being a disabled veteran I think it would be an error on your part to slow down my data access speed.  I will seek legal council, start blogging about the unfairness, utilize face book to with the suggestion of unfairness of AT&T going after a disabled veteran.   I could be a marketing nightmare for AT&T.   Let it be known that I would prefer to be left alone with the service I have received the past four years.   Sincerely,   Ken {Personal content removed for your safety}

I am deeply concerned about your email saying that you are going to slow down my data access.  Four years ago when you were advertizing the unlimited data plan it was never stated that if you took advantage of the plan at some point AT&T would slow down you access.  It was anticipated as unlimited data with no strings attached.  I took AT&T at its word that I would get unlimited data when I agreed to take the unlimited data plan four years ago.   Being a disabled veteran I think it would be an error on your part to slow down my data access speed.  I will seek legal council, start blogging about the unfairness, utilize face book to with the suggestion of unfairness of AT&T going after a disabled veteran.   I could be a marketing nightmare for AT&T.   Let it be known that I would prefer to be left alone with the service I have received the past four years.   Sincerely,   Ken {Personal content removed for your safety}

Access slow down

[ Edited ]
9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 10:35:39 AM
(0)
Employee
It had always been stated in the terms of service that there is a fair use policy. They are just now enforcing it.
It had always been stated in the terms of service that there is a fair use policy. They are just now enforcing it.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Access slow down

2 of 10 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 7:10:56 PM
(0)
Guru

Ken utton wrote:

None of that will change anything. Terms of use are clear and they have the right to throttle usage. You agreed to the terms of use and wireless agreement when using the services, therefore makes any of those actions irrelevant.

Ken utton wrote:

None of that will change anything. Terms of use are clear and they have the right to throttle usage. You agreed to the terms of use and wireless agreement when using the services, therefore makes any of those actions irrelevant.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

3 of 10 (1,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 1:59:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

aristizzle wrote:

Ken utton wrote:

and just to reaffirm what was stated .....

6.2 What Are the Intended Purposes Of the Wireless Data Service?
Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to:

1. Deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage.
  2. Otherwise, protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

aristizzle wrote:

Ken utton wrote:

and just to reaffirm what was stated .....

6.2 What Are the Intended Purposes Of the Wireless Data Service?
Accordingly, AT&T reserves the right to:

1. Deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network, including without limitation, after a significant period of inactivity or after sessions of excessive usage.
  2. Otherwise, protect its wireless network from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance, which may impact legitimate data flows.

4 of 10 (988 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 8:17:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ken utton wrote:

Four years ago, I don't think that AT&T (or any other wireless provider) could fathom the amount of data that 1 phone could use. The phones 4 years ago were not data hogs like the smartphones of today.

4 years ago, how many phones used over 2 gigs per month?

If the wireless provider knew then what they know now, they would have NEVER offered unlimited data.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

Ken utton wrote:

Four years ago, I don't think that AT&T (or any other wireless provider) could fathom the amount of data that 1 phone could use. The phones 4 years ago were not data hogs like the smartphones of today.

4 years ago, how many phones used over 2 gigs per month?

If the wireless provider knew then what they know now, they would have NEVER offered unlimited data.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 10 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 10:39:22 AM
(0)
Contributor

I agree with Ken on the slowdown of the network and the fact that AT&T utilizes the "always sickening fine print" excuse to do whatever they want.

I have NEVER been a fan of AT&T, for this particular reason. I was so disappointed when they bought Cingular and forcibly became AT&T user.

I understand that due to your voracious hunger for profit, your head honchos, excuse me Executives, could not foresee how successful the iPhone was going to be and how much all these new generations of smart phones was going to tax their networks.

That is called “Engineering Forecasting”. Oh, I am so sorry, your engineers are locked away in dark rooms and the guys making the decisions are people that probably don’t know what TCP/IP stands for. This is a typical small mom & pop company mentality; throw everything we have and see what sticks.

Instead of punishing the customers for your lack of vision and engineering foresight, start by putting some of those hefty profits into upgrading, improving your Telecom Backbone. May be, if you could cut some of those multimillion dollar bonuses to your execs, you could fine some money there.

And for those of you “zombie AT&T fans”, I understand this is a free market and we are free to choose our providers, but it sucks to deal with a MAFIA type mentality company and a VERY SMALL list of providers, getting smaller and smaller every year.

I guess that’s what they teach you in Harvard Business School, buy…buy… and buy some more…become a TYCO Corp plebe.

Sincerely,

A  $@%^ customer.

I agree with Ken on the slowdown of the network and the fact that AT&T utilizes the "always sickening fine print" excuse to do whatever they want.

I have NEVER been a fan of AT&T, for this particular reason. I was so disappointed when they bought Cingular and forcibly became AT&T user.

I understand that due to your voracious hunger for profit, your head honchos, excuse me Executives, could not foresee how successful the iPhone was going to be and how much all these new generations of smart phones was going to tax their networks.

That is called “Engineering Forecasting”. Oh, I am so sorry, your engineers are locked away in dark rooms and the guys making the decisions are people that probably don’t know what TCP/IP stands for. This is a typical small mom & pop company mentality; throw everything we have and see what sticks.

Instead of punishing the customers for your lack of vision and engineering foresight, start by putting some of those hefty profits into upgrading, improving your Telecom Backbone. May be, if you could cut some of those multimillion dollar bonuses to your execs, you could fine some money there.

And for those of you “zombie AT&T fans”, I understand this is a free market and we are free to choose our providers, but it sucks to deal with a MAFIA type mentality company and a VERY SMALL list of providers, getting smaller and smaller every year.

I guess that’s what they teach you in Harvard Business School, buy…buy… and buy some more…become a TYCO Corp plebe.

Sincerely,

A  $@%^ customer.

6 of 10 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 11:00:44 AM
(0)
Employee
Actually Cingular bought AT&T and choose to take their name.its the same company
Actually Cingular bought AT&T and choose to take their name.its the same company
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 10 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2012 11:31:16 AM
(0)
Scholar
order of this company..... formally mabell bought by att wireless...bought by cingular ..... bought by at&t wireless

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
order of this company..... formally mabell bought by att wireless...bought by cingular ..... bought by at&t wireless

8 of 10 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 7:08:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
I too just received one of these notices. The problem I see with it is that I'm paying for an unlimited plan and yet am threatened with a slowdown in service at a data usage level that is 2/3 of the similarly priced tiered plan. Longstanding, loyal customers like us should at least get the benefits of the similarly priced plan and not incur any throttling until we've hit the 3gb mark.
I too just received one of these notices. The problem I see with it is that I'm paying for an unlimited plan and yet am threatened with a slowdown in service at a data usage level that is 2/3 of the similarly priced tiered plan. Longstanding, loyal customers like us should at least get the benefits of the similarly priced plan and not incur any throttling until we've hit the 3gb mark.

9 of 10 (620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2012 7:20:44 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

10 of 10 (617 Views)