About 'customer service'

Highlighted

About 'customer service'

I've been visiting this site off and on for a few years now, and I understand that the reason for these forums is for customers to vent, and get help on a peer-to peer basis.  I've also seen quite a trend of 'customer service is horrible'.  There are times where this is definitely true.. I would be the last one to say otherwise.. but I think ( and I may be wrong) that sometimes the problem comes from and expectation, however correct or not it may be, that is not met.  So I'm going to add my perspective (10 years customer service, 5 in a 'customer service' call center).

This is part1 of my post.. I'l put the other part up tomorrow.  

customer service
Part of Speech:  n
Definition:  assistance and other resources that a company provides to the people who buy or use its products or services
customer service. (n.d.). Dictionary.com's 21st Century Lexicon. Retrieved September 08, 2010, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/customer service

For those who think that the only stress the rep you're talking to is from their conversation with you.. this is what may be going on in their minds..
:
Get my greeting right.. and all the info.. otherwise I'll fail the call..
Get the issue figured out.. and resolved.. or I might fail the call..
Hit all the resolving points.. (key phrases, details of changes, features, etc).. or I might fail the call
End the call properly.. or I might fail the call

And if you've noticed a trend.. well, that recording that call may be monitored.. they really do.. and those results determine if the rep gets a raise.. and how much it is... along with the average time it takes for the rep to handle calls, how accurate they are following schedules.. etc..
And if you answer one of those surveys.. that gets counted too.

The people on the other end of the phone are just people too.. they do try, and unlike when you see them face-to face in the store, they don't get the option of an "I'm in training" button. And in today's society where people move from other countries, there's no way to know where they are. I used to work for a call center in Canada, and the lady beside me was of a Middle Eastern background, but had been in Canada, and a Canadian citizen, for about 25 years.  She still had quite an accent, and would have customers very upset, sometimes downright rude with her, and ask for a manager, because she was not "Canadian".  

1. Service does NOT mean "I deserve to get whatever I ask for, and someone will give it to me".. nor does it mean that the customer is always right.. here's a hint.. the customer is NOT always right. ( for a bit of humor, and some extreme examples, search the phrase) Example: just because you think that using the phone is free doesn't mean it is.

2. Remember the Golden Rule: If you would like to be treated fairly, and in a respectful manner.. then treat the rep you speak to fairly, and in a respectful manner. You truely will get more with honey than with vinegar.. no matter how upset you may be. How helpful would you be to someone who starts of the conversation by interrupting you, and calling you names or insulting you?

3. Customer service reps are there to help. Let them. For example, if your phone is not working, then call from a different phone, so they can try and fix it. Otherwise it's like trying to fix your engine while you're driving the car.. it's not going to work that well.. if at all.

4. Keep an open mind. The person you're talking to is just a person, they do not (contrary to what sometimes seems to be popular belief) have a magic wand that will fix your issue right then and there. Be prepared to work with them towards a solution.  Also, just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't mean it's not an answer to your question.

5. You always have a choice. Even if it's the choice to do nothing. So many times, in this forum, and others, I've seen people say 'I had no choice' but to do (whatever it is that made me angry). But they still did it. They could have cancelled, gone somewhere else, perhaps even done something else.. yet they didn't. Next time someone gives you options, remember that even if you don't take any of them.. that's a choice too.

6. Take responsiblity for your own actions.  Sounds simple, yet it's so hard to practice. Customer Service can do many things, but they are not responsible for what you do.. only you are.

7. Sad to say it but the days of being 'just a customer' are gone. You need to be INFORMED, and that's something that the customer has to do themselves.. even if it's just calling customer care for information. They are NOT mind readers, and do not know what you are going to do.. you have to tell them, and find out what the consequences will be. Otherwise, if you do something without knowing what the consequences are.. well.. whose fault was it for not checking?

Message 1 of 12 (395 Views)
Guru

Re: About 'customer service'

You understand us perfectly ;_;

I think I love you. <3

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 12 (378 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

Virtual wrote:

I think I love you. <3

you THINK you love them?  LOL!  i KNOW i do.  wow! 

who are you casey?  did you actually wake up as me today?  LOL!  thank you so much for putting everything i think into words. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 12 (367 Views)
Professor

Kudos for being the most accurate post I think I've ever read. Ever.

Message 4 of 12 (355 Views)

Kudos from RiotGirrrl too!  Wish every customer can reed this  and be attach to the terms and conditions ,  hahaha.

Have a great day.!

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 12 (348 Views)

Kudos from me. This needs to be a sticky.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 6 of 12 (339 Views)
Scholar

oooooh!!!! my god!!!! I cant belive with I just read!!!... belive me, I was shocked when I read this... (and after like 2 hours that I read it, Im still in shock)... you are my hero!!... you said some of what CRS thinks!!!!.... really... you almost make me cry... some people is good with us... but other people isnt it... and you have cases when some times if you are not in the states customer get mad and want to be transfered to US!!!... is the same system!! is the same process!!... if all customer think the way you do... everybody will be much happyer!!.... all what you read here is about complaints of customer service, but I always say... is god to know when you are doing good youre job or not... but, some people thinks that this forum is just for complaint....

Im really thankfull that you wrote this!!! Smiley Very Happy

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 12 (333 Views)
Scholar

more kudos from me!!! 2 please Smiley Tongue

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, stategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 12 (332 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Kudos from me too!!! Thank you so much Casey for your precise description of "customer care".

I agree with everyone else who replied to your posting: it should be well advertised and all customers, AT&T's or not,  should read your posting. I can't wait to read your part 2.

Message 9 of 12 (318 Views)
Former Employee

It shouldn't have to be advertised, it should be a common sense to everybody. But it must go both ways, I'm in customer service and sales, I work at the store, and sometimes I see nice customers being treated wrong by reps too, for no reason, just, you know, someone had a bad day.

Message 10 of 12 (306 Views)
Contributor

As a customer (and previous customer service rep for another company) - I do live by what you wrote.  But today, no matter how nice and patient I was, the customer service rep was incredibly rude.  On top of it, her supervisor was just as bad...I was incredibly disappointed.

Message 11 of 12 (173 Views)
Scholar

You are right, it is both ways. But is should be advertised on both sides as well.  Casey's posting stated his/her perception from service side, many costumers many not aware of it, and not everyone has common sense .

We hear soooo many negative side of stories in this froum, and it is becoming depressing.  All things have two sides, and all we hear so far in this forum are negatives. The posting is not defensive, not bias (I think it is as objective as it can be). All it did was to show us another side of coin as he/she perceived. 

And he is right, if you want to be treat nice, you have to do the same to others!

Message 12 of 12 (161 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.