ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Elena'

Elena: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Matthew: Hi, I have my samsung captivate connected through kies mini. My phone says it's connected but nothing is happening with kies mini software

Elena: I understand that you want to transfer the content from handset to the PC and vice versa. Am I correct ?

Matthew: no. I understand that kies mini is just for firmware upgrades only. I want kies mini to recognize my device. this is the first time I've actually got my phone not to freak out when it connects through the MTP application, and for the first time it says it's connected, but the kies software window still says "please connect your mobile phone:

Elena: You have installed Kies Mini software on the PC. Kies Mini is a simple tool that performs a firmware update for a phone. Other options that may accompany the tool are unsupported for this product.

Elena: I understand that you are trying to transfer and sync Outlook content on your PC to handset, but the application software "KIES" full version  used to  fulfill the requirement is not yet released for users in U.S officially at this moment and hence there is no relevant information or support  available for the same.

Elena: As the option of KIES software is unavailable at this instant, we can transfer music, pictures and videos between your PC and handset using  the media player option and the mass storage options.

Matthew: i'm just trying to do a firmware update...I'm not trying to do anything else that you just said

Matthew: are these pre-typed responses?

Elena: No, my typing is a bit faster than you.

Elena: May I know the firmware and basband version of the device ?

Matthew: 2.1 update 1, I897UCJH7

Elena: I see that the device is having all the latest updates installed already.

Matthew: Really.

Elena: Are you trying to install Android 2.2  ?

Matthew: Yup

Matthew: Samsung officially announced that EVERYONE WOULD HAVE THE UPDATE BY THE END OF NOVEMBER

Matthew: It's now 12/1

Elena: Unfortunately there is no update available at this time for your phone model, nor is there an estimated date of one being released. We are  unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and  confusion.

Elena: Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.  

Elena: Samsung is working on these and we will release the software within few days. Once the update has been released by the Carrier people  you will receive a notification message to install it on your handset.

Matthew: So the promise to have it to everybody by the end of november was a lie?

Elena: I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Matthew: it's outrageous

Elena: I can understand your concern and situation.

Elena: I would have surely helped , if I had any information regarding them.

Matthew: it's the only reason I bought this phone

Matthew: and it's been pushed back time and time again, until you; SAMSUNG, said it would be available to "ALL" by the end of november

Elena: As this is a basic level support we have limited access to our database.  However, I suggest you to please contact our  Samsung Customer Support Team. Our Galaxy handset support team at : 1-877-392-4252,Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM  (CST). They will be glad to help you with this.

Matthew: there's also a new download that was posted on the captivate product page on 11/29/2010 for an installation guide on updating the phone

Matthew: what's that about then?

Matthew: it gives us, the consumers, a step-by-step process on how to update the phone.

Elena: I am sorry, I don't have any information regarding this in my database.

Elena: I suggest you to please contact our Samsung Customer Support Team.

Matthew: ok, nevermind that. You said that the 2.2 update will be released in a few days?

Matthew: Elena: Samsung is working on these and we will release the software within few days. Once the update has been released by the Carrier people you will receive a notification message to install it on your handset.

Elena: Yes, I do obey. But we don't have the exact date of the release of the software in my database,.

Matthew: you do obey? i don't understand

Elena: Let me explain.

Matthew: i never said you didn't obey

Elena: Samsung is presently working on the software update but they require some time to release the software.

Elena: So that we can release a bug free software for the Samsung devices.

Matthew: you said within a few days. correct

Matthew: that's what you just said

Matthew: am i right?

Elena: Yes, you are correct.

Matthew: so, in summation, the 2.2 froyo update for the samsung captivate will be released in a few days?

Elena: I am a basic level agent and I have all the information that is available in my database and if you need any further please contact our next level support at 1-877-392-4252,Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).

Matthew: please answer the question

Elena: Samsung will release for all the Android mobile phones.

Matthew: will release what?

Elena: Android 2.2 software.

Matthew: in a few days?

Elena: yes.

Matthew: how do you know that?

Matthew: if you said you had no information on the subject

Elena: I can't reveal that information in the chat session .

Matthew: it's top secret?

Elena: I am not authorized to reveal that information in chat support.

Elena: I hope you would understand my limitations.

Matthew: but you know 100%, without a doubt, that 2.2 froyo update will be released in a few days

Elena: yes, thats for sure.

Elena: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Matthew: Alrighty then. I'm going to post this conversation to as many forums as possible and to samsung's facebook pages to get the word out, due to the fact that there are thousands of angry customers out there, begging to know when this is going to be released

Elena: I can understand.

Elena: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Chat Information Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

This conversation took place at 3:30 AM Eastern time on 12/1/2010. I fervently tried to get an answer out of this so called "support" who gave automated responses to queries, and then lied about doing it.. haha. Anyways, it's confirmed that the software will be released in a few days. I just hope our carrier doesn't screw the pooch on this and will send that magical sms for all of us to finally update this device, and have the optimal OS we were all promised.

Message 1 of 61 (13,374 Views)
Former Moderator

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

Hi-

Let's please all try to stay on topic here.  Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions". This will help other users find this information too!!

Scoobydoo
Message 31 of 61 (2,208 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with Samsung support.

Just root your phone already and you can have Froyo without all the bloatware...no need to wait on AT&T or Samsung to officially release it.  I've been running Froyo (2.2) for months and the ROM developers are already pushing out Froyo 2.2.1 ROMs.  I may be running Gingerbread before most Captivate users get the Froyo OTA...ok, may be slightly wishful thinking, but possible.

Check out the XDA threads for the Captivate and the videos at this thread:

Samsung Captivate Rooting and ROM install VIDEOS. (YouTube)

VERY helpful and easy to follow...a lot easier to see someone do it than just read instructions, although before I rooted, I read as much as I could before making the decision that was right for me and my uses.  Take notes, ask questions on XDA and then decide.  I wanted the latest Android builds without waiting (I'm impatient, eh?), more features, less apps forced on me by AT&T/Samsung, real fixes to the GPS problems, better reception, faster downloads/uploads, access to apps that aren't on the Market, plus it's MY phone and I wanted it MY way.  But that's just me and it is definitely not for everyone...

BE WARNED: rooting your phone WILL void your warranty and YOU are responsible for anything that goes wrong and things can go drastically wrong if you don't follow instructions exactly ...although the threads/users on XDA-Developers  can get you out of most jams.  Some brilliant folks on there!  In summary,root at your own risk and it is NOT for users that are not computer/phone proficient!!!!

Message 32 of 61 (2,191 Views)
Mentor

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with Samsung support.

Sure Rooting the Phone is the obvious choice if you want it bad enough (thanks TedG for the great how to links these are very helpful to allot of folks, and I'm a member of XDA too!) But my point is AT&T was egger enough to take my money and make me promises they had no intention to keep, They need to caution there Phone store reps on over selling and making promises. I was assured by my local AT&T sales MOOK that I would have froyo by the end of October.  I did a ton of reading and evaluating many of the phone models in the store and my wife who's not that tech savvy thought it would be a good time to switch to sprint for her massive texting needs...LOL

I had her as a second line on my AT&T but the Unlimited plan didn't cover her discovery and overload of Text messaging. We actually got her an HTC hero with Android on Sprint as a result of the contract expiring. I had a BJ-II at the time and when my time came up for renewal I was already wanting an Android phone! I set off doing as others less intelligent have commented doing the DUE diligence on models ,software versions and features. I own a ton of Samsung gear and have always had great experience with there products. Hense the obvious choice when the Captivate was announced and the later reviews of Froyo 2.2 Android. That was July/august if memory serves me, so I did allot of reading and hands on comparing of phones and as October rolled around my time had come to make a move. I wonder Now if I chose correctly, based on the AT&T rep's assurances that my unlimited plan would be grandfathered in, Took several calls and cojolling to keep it that was the first indication that something was smelling of bad cheese in the AT&T stores promises.

I don't want to loose the warranty on the phone and I have been an AT&T customer for over 15 years. I was an early adopter of the smart-phone an I see now that the AT&T corporate culture is so diluted and lost with the influx of new sales reps who lack the necessary integrity I was accustomed to. I have bought new phones about 1.5 to 2 years. I just want what they promised and It's not a question of Samsung releasing it, They have months ago and in Europe the captivate is being updated as we speak. Sprint is also along with Verizon updating and delivering 2.2 handsets. I speculate AT&T is so busy trying to keep up with all of the 4G compatition BS going on right now as well as loosing the Iphone exclusivity next, upgrades are not high on there priority lists let alone the upcoming Tablet releases. I bet they don't even have an engineer working on weather or not Froyo or 2.3 Gingerbread is even AT&T compatible from a software/bloatware POV. and We can probably forget about "Honeycomb" a.k.a Ver 3.0 of Android. I will hold there feet to the fire if I don't see it by years end. I will switch to another carrier and let them even try to collect an ETF from me...Won't happen!

The way I see it IF we all make enough noise and keep this thread at the TOP the "Sqweeky wheel get's oiled" if not I will be a PITA for my local AT&T Store on a weekly basis dissuading people from choosing them, heck SPRINT and VERIZON are on the same street. Clock is Ticking,,,Tic,Toc..

Message 33 of 61 (2,130 Views)
Explorer

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

At&t well have a phone with 2.2 or 2.3 out before the Captivate gets it update. And I may get the new just because I hate waiting when it should have been here already.
Message 34 of 61 (2,009 Views)
Mentor

Not to mention but Flash is now confirmed working with 2.2 FroYo...AT&T better get it together.

Allot of folks want it in light of not Silverlight or ActiveX on Androids...Just another line in the sand AFAIK

for ...

WE need and want our update to Android Version 2.2 Froyo

Message 35 of 61 (1,936 Views)
Mentor

Sprint has beaten all other US carriers to the punch by rolling out the Android 2.2 Froyo upgrade to its Samsung Galaxy S variant, the Samsung Epic 4G, before any of its three main rivals. Users are reporting that the Flash 10.1-enabling update is now available in certain parts of the country over the air, with a full nationwide deployment expected over the next several hours. Sprint's accomplishment is all that more laudable considering the fact that variants released prior to the Epic, including T-Mobile's Vibrant and AT&T's Captivate, have yet to receive the highly-anticipated refresh.

According a recent report, 43.4% of active Android handsets now run Froyo, with 39.6% on the slightly older Eclair build. If Android 2.3 Gingerbread is indeed launched tomorrow as expected, the Epic 4G will end up being the only US Galaxy S variant to get 2.2 before 2.3 begins rolling out to Nexus One developer handsets.

Like I said AT&T loyal customers get attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis.

For you physics buffs out there. I don't expect some WIng riders to get it....LOL

Message 36 of 61 (1,926 Views)
Master

pjglassman wrote:

Sprint has beaten all other US carriers to the punch by rolling out the Android 2.2 Froyo upgrade to its Samsung Galaxy S variant, the Samsung Epic 4G, before any of its three main rivals. Users are reporting that the Flash 10.1-enabling update is now available in certain parts of the country over the air, with a full nationwide deployment expected over the next several hours. Sprint's accomplishment is all that more laudable considering the fact that variants released prior to the Epic, including T-Mobile's Vibrant and AT&T's Captivate, have yet to receive the highly-anticipated refresh.

Are you sure about that ^^^?  According to this article Sprint says it is a leak and recommends not installing. http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-says-froyo-epic-4g-just-leak-advise-not-install

As it turns out the only US carrier with a Froyo (Android 2.2) update available is users on Virgin Mobile. http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-now-available-vibrant-users-bell-virgin-mobile-and-sasktel

As for what phone may or may not get Gingerbread (Android 2.3), here is one website's list of which phones they THINK will get Gingerbread.  http://www.androidcentral.com/will-my-phone-get-gingerbread

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 37 of 61 (1,874 Views)
Explorer

Well at&t said by the end of the year that Captivate will have froyo. We well see if at&t can keep there word and if they can't then they are a sad company.
Message 38 of 61 (1,830 Views)
Mentor

Yes, I 'am my buddy is near Seattle had his updated on tuesday night OTA and he's on Sprint and has an Epic

he tells me the Flash 10.01 works great and he was able to listen to a radio station out of Pittsburgh WDVE and stream the Steelers game today.

WHy does AT&T wait....The Silence is defining LOL

Message 39 of 61 (1,828 Views)
Mentor

RDBuck38 wrote:
Well at&t said by the end of the year that Captivate will have froyo. We well see if at&t can keep there word and if they can't then they are a sad company.

Agreed!...Tic, Toc.... AT&T I'll be over to the local AT&T store to bust some chops tommorow for sure!

Message 40 of 61 (1,825 Views)
Mentor

i just talked to a salesman at verizon today he said there samsung comes with 2.1 but updates to 2.2 right after u boot it up out of the box.

Message 41 of 61 (2,411 Views)
Explorer

Then the update dropped today cause the update on the fascinate wasn't out this time last night.
Message 42 of 61 (2,408 Views)
Expert

pjglassman wrote:

I will hold there feet to the fire if I don't see it by years end. I will switch to another carrier and let them even try to collect an ETF from me...Won't happen!

They don't have to try, if you refuse to pay it they will just switch it over to a collection agency and ding your credit score for non-payment. Unlike the "rumor" of the update, the etf and terms of service are a legally binding contract. No matrter what you claim, unless you have it in writing by a member of ATT corporation that has the right and ability to make binding statements, it is just a rumor.

Not sure how you claim you can "hold their feet to the fire" you have nothing that can do that. In the end they will win and you will lose.

Message 43 of 61 (2,310 Views)
Employee
Employee

Folks can write whatever they want. As far as I know, AT&T has not committed any date to Froyo in writing, they merely said they would get it. My best guess is going to be mid to late January.

Also for the most part the US carriers have not upgraded the GS's  to Froyo with a few exceptions, the overseas ones have.

Folks have been complaining abut poor GPS, random shut downs and other issues. I would prefer that AT&T and Samsung take their time and get it right so they cam make the Captivate even better than it already is, which is pretty awesome.

Also, I know that AT&T does extensive certification and testing on any new OS to ensure that it does not cause network or other issues rather than just rushing the latest and greatest out.

By the way that also goes for Gingerbread, the code is not even in the carrier's hands yet so don't expect that anytime soon.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 44 of 61 (2,241 Views)
Mentor

It's not a question of Samsung releasing the update They have...if it's good enough for them it should be good enough for AT&T...

Not to mention it's out and in CA, and Europe so IMO they are LAME! for not being forthright about it and at minimum make some official statement one way or another.

My money is on Sprint and Verizon beeting them to the punch.

Message 45 of 61 (2,196 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.