Posted Dec 1, 2010
12:50:35 AM
ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Elena'

Elena: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Matthew: Hi, I have my samsung captivate connected through kies mini. My phone says it's connected but nothing is happening with kies mini software

Elena: I understand that you want to transfer the content from handset to the PC and vice versa. Am I correct ?

Matthew: no. I understand that kies mini is just for firmware upgrades only. I want kies mini to recognize my device. this is the first time I've actually got my phone not to freak out when it connects through the MTP application, and for the first time it says it's connected, but the kies software window still says "please connect your mobile phone:

Elena: You have installed Kies Mini software on the PC. Kies Mini is a simple tool that performs a firmware update for a phone. Other options that may accompany the tool are unsupported for this product.

Elena: I understand that you are trying to transfer and sync Outlook content on your PC to handset, but the application software "KIES" full version  used to  fulfill the requirement is not yet released for users in U.S officially at this moment and hence there is no relevant information or support  available for the same.

Elena: As the option of KIES software is unavailable at this instant, we can transfer music, pictures and videos between your PC and handset using  the media player option and the mass storage options.

Matthew: i'm just trying to do a firmware update...I'm not trying to do anything else that you just said

Matthew: are these pre-typed responses?

Elena: No, my typing is a bit faster than you.

Elena: May I know the firmware and basband version of the device ?

Matthew: 2.1 update 1, I897UCJH7

Elena: I see that the device is having all the latest updates installed already.

Matthew: Really.

Elena: Are you trying to install Android 2.2  ?

Matthew: Yup

Matthew: Samsung officially announced that EVERYONE WOULD HAVE THE UPDATE BY THE END OF NOVEMBER

Matthew: It's now 12/1

Elena: Unfortunately there is no update available at this time for your phone model, nor is there an estimated date of one being released. We are  unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and  confusion.

Elena: Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.  

Elena: Samsung is working on these and we will release the software within few days. Once the update has been released by the Carrier people  you will receive a notification message to install it on your handset.

Matthew: So the promise to have it to everybody by the end of november was a lie?

Elena: I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Matthew: it's outrageous

Elena: I can understand your concern and situation.

Elena: I would have surely helped , if I had any information regarding them.

Matthew: it's the only reason I bought this phone

Matthew: and it's been pushed back time and time again, until you; SAMSUNG, said it would be available to "ALL" by the end of november

Elena: As this is a basic level support we have limited access to our database.  However, I suggest you to please contact our  Samsung Customer Support Team. Our Galaxy handset support team at : 1-877-392-4252,Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM  (CST). They will be glad to help you with this.

Matthew: there's also a new download that was posted on the captivate product page on 11/29/2010 for an installation guide on updating the phone

Matthew: what's that about then?

Matthew: it gives us, the consumers, a step-by-step process on how to update the phone.

Elena: I am sorry, I don't have any information regarding this in my database.

Elena: I suggest you to please contact our Samsung Customer Support Team.

Matthew: ok, nevermind that. You said that the 2.2 update will be released in a few days?

Matthew: Elena: Samsung is working on these and we will release the software within few days. Once the update has been released by the Carrier people you will receive a notification message to install it on your handset.

Elena: Yes, I do obey. But we don't have the exact date of the release of the software in my database,.

Matthew: you do obey? i don't understand

Elena: Let me explain.

Matthew: i never said you didn't obey

Elena: Samsung is presently working on the software update but they require some time to release the software.

Elena: So that we can release a bug free software for the Samsung devices.

Matthew: you said within a few days. correct

Matthew: that's what you just said

Matthew: am i right?

Elena: Yes, you are correct.

Matthew: so, in summation, the 2.2 froyo update for the samsung captivate will be released in a few days?

Elena: I am a basic level agent and I have all the information that is available in my database and if you need any further please contact our next level support at 1-877-392-4252,Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).

Matthew: please answer the question

Elena: Samsung will release for all the Android mobile phones.

Matthew: will release what?

Elena: Android 2.2 software.

Matthew: in a few days?

Elena: yes.

Matthew: how do you know that?

Matthew: if you said you had no information on the subject

Elena: I can't reveal that information in the chat session .

Matthew: it's top secret?

Elena: I am not authorized to reveal that information in chat support.

Elena: I hope you would understand my limitations.

Matthew: but you know 100%, without a doubt, that 2.2 froyo update will be released in a few days

Elena: yes, thats for sure.

Elena: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Matthew: Alrighty then. I'm going to post this conversation to as many forums as possible and to samsung's facebook pages to get the word out, due to the fact that there are thousands of angry customers out there, begging to know when this is going to be released

Elena: I can understand.

Elena: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Chat Information Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

This conversation took place at 3:30 AM Eastern time on 12/1/2010. I fervently tried to get an answer out of this so called "support" who gave automated responses to queries, and then lied about doing it.. haha. Anyways, it's confirmed that the software will be released in a few days. I just hope our carrier doesn't screw the pooch on this and will send that magical sms for all of us to finally update this device, and have the optimal OS we were all promised.

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Elena'

Elena: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Matthew: Hi, I have my samsung captivate connected through kies mini. My phone says it's connected but nothing is happening with kies mini software

Elena: I understand that you want to transfer the content from handset to the PC and vice versa. Am I correct ?

Matthew: no. I understand that kies mini is just for firmware upgrades only. I want kies mini to recognize my device. this is the first time I've actually got my phone not to freak out when it connects through the MTP application, and for the first time it says it's connected, but the kies software window still says "please connect your mobile phone:

Elena: You have installed Kies Mini software on the PC. Kies Mini is a simple tool that performs a firmware update for a phone. Other options that may accompany the tool are unsupported for this product.

Elena: I understand that you are trying to transfer and sync Outlook content on your PC to handset, but the application software "KIES" full version  used to  fulfill the requirement is not yet released for users in U.S officially at this moment and hence there is no relevant information or support  available for the same.

Elena: As the option of KIES software is unavailable at this instant, we can transfer music, pictures and videos between your PC and handset using  the media player option and the mass storage options.

Matthew: i'm just trying to do a firmware update...I'm not trying to do anything else that you just said

Matthew: are these pre-typed responses?

Elena: No, my typing is a bit faster than you.

Elena: May I know the firmware and basband version of the device ?

Matthew: 2.1 update 1, I897UCJH7

Elena: I see that the device is having all the latest updates installed already.

Matthew: Really.

Elena: Are you trying to install Android 2.2  ?

Matthew: Yup

Matthew: Samsung officially announced that EVERYONE WOULD HAVE THE UPDATE BY THE END OF NOVEMBER

Matthew: It's now 12/1

Elena: Unfortunately there is no update available at this time for your phone model, nor is there an estimated date of one being released. We are  unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and  confusion.

Elena: Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center.  

Elena: Samsung is working on these and we will release the software within few days. Once the update has been released by the Carrier people  you will receive a notification message to install it on your handset.

Matthew: So the promise to have it to everybody by the end of november was a lie?

Elena: I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Matthew: it's outrageous

Elena: I can understand your concern and situation.

Elena: I would have surely helped , if I had any information regarding them.

Matthew: it's the only reason I bought this phone

Matthew: and it's been pushed back time and time again, until you; SAMSUNG, said it would be available to "ALL" by the end of november

Elena: As this is a basic level support we have limited access to our database.  However, I suggest you to please contact our  Samsung Customer Support Team. Our Galaxy handset support team at : 1-877-392-4252,Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM  (CST). They will be glad to help you with this.

Matthew: there's also a new download that was posted on the captivate product page on 11/29/2010 for an installation guide on updating the phone

Matthew: what's that about then?

Matthew: it gives us, the consumers, a step-by-step process on how to update the phone.

Elena: I am sorry, I don't have any information regarding this in my database.

Elena: I suggest you to please contact our Samsung Customer Support Team.

Matthew: ok, nevermind that. You said that the 2.2 update will be released in a few days?

Matthew: Elena: Samsung is working on these and we will release the software within few days. Once the update has been released by the Carrier people you will receive a notification message to install it on your handset.

Elena: Yes, I do obey. But we don't have the exact date of the release of the software in my database,.

Matthew: you do obey? i don't understand

Elena: Let me explain.

Matthew: i never said you didn't obey

Elena: Samsung is presently working on the software update but they require some time to release the software.

Elena: So that we can release a bug free software for the Samsung devices.

Matthew: you said within a few days. correct

Matthew: that's what you just said

Matthew: am i right?

Elena: Yes, you are correct.

Matthew: so, in summation, the 2.2 froyo update for the samsung captivate will be released in a few days?

Elena: I am a basic level agent and I have all the information that is available in my database and if you need any further please contact our next level support at 1-877-392-4252,Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).

Matthew: please answer the question

Elena: Samsung will release for all the Android mobile phones.

Matthew: will release what?

Elena: Android 2.2 software.

Matthew: in a few days?

Elena: yes.

Matthew: how do you know that?

Matthew: if you said you had no information on the subject

Elena: I can't reveal that information in the chat session .

Matthew: it's top secret?

Elena: I am not authorized to reveal that information in chat support.

Elena: I hope you would understand my limitations.

Matthew: but you know 100%, without a doubt, that 2.2 froyo update will be released in a few days

Elena: yes, thats for sure.

Elena: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Matthew: Alrighty then. I'm going to post this conversation to as many forums as possible and to samsung's facebook pages to get the word out, due to the fact that there are thousands of angry customers out there, begging to know when this is going to be released

Elena: I can understand.

Elena: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Chat Information Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

This conversation took place at 3:30 AM Eastern time on 12/1/2010. I fervently tried to get an answer out of this so called "support" who gave automated responses to queries, and then lied about doing it.. haha. Anyways, it's confirmed that the software will be released in a few days. I just hope our carrier doesn't screw the pooch on this and will send that magical sms for all of us to finally update this device, and have the optimal OS we were all promised.

ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

60 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(60)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 12:58:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

Any of you who are as frustrated as I, please repost this to as many forums as possible. We deserve what we were promised!

Any of you who are as frustrated as I, please repost this to as many forums as possible. We deserve what we were promised!

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

2 of 61 (12,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 3:42:37 AM
(0)
Expert

So you heard from samsung, what does ATT say? they are the ones that have final say over the loadout of the OS. This is the same for Iphone and for the new Windows 7 phone, both the OS designer AND ATT have to validate the build before it is authorized to be downloaded by the carrier.

So you heard from samsung, what does ATT say? they are the ones that have final say over the loadout of the OS. This is the same for Iphone and for the new Windows 7 phone, both the OS designer AND ATT have to validate the build before it is authorized to be downloaded by the carrier.

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with samsung support.

3 of 61 (12,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 8:55:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cmbritton on Dec 1, 2010 at 9:04:26 AM

That's good. Post this to as many forums as possible to show what you are when dealing with customer support.

(Mod Note: Please do not go round the word filter. Thank you.)

That's good. Post this to as many forums as possible to show what you are when dealing with customer support.

(Mod Note: Please do not go round the word filter. Thank you.)

[ Edited ]
4 of 61 (12,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 9:49:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Don't get too excited.  Consider the source.

Don't get too excited.  Consider the source.

5 of 61 (12,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 10:51:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

Poor Elena!  I think you were a tad coercive. She was trying her level best to stick with her protocol by telling you she had nothing about Froyo and at the same time trying to appease you.   Said another way, I think you were "badgering the witness." I question whether you have valid information.

I'm not sure about you, but I was never "promised" any update.

In the final analysis Froyo will get here when it gets here and any purported "official announcement" of when  it might be here just sets expectations unnecessarily and for no benefit

Samsung's and AT&T's mission is to sell more equipment so AT&T can sell more minutes.  No matter how you cut it, our looking for upgrades is not high on either of their lists of important things to do.  I agree we should register our discontent but there is little benefit in dragging Elena'a into this or in raising everyone's expectations by posting her response to your somewhat forceful cross-examination.

The fact is new Captivates do sport Froyo. Just why the update has not been released OTA does point to an AT&T which is so intent upon new business that it does pay short shrift to those who have already bought into it's network.  That is cause for anguish but nailing poor Elena to the cross serves no real purpose.

Poor Elena!  I think you were a tad coercive. She was trying her level best to stick with her protocol by telling you she had nothing about Froyo and at the same time trying to appease you.   Said another way, I think you were "badgering the witness." I question whether you have valid information.

I'm not sure about you, but I was never "promised" any update.

In the final analysis Froyo will get here when it gets here and any purported "official announcement" of when  it might be here just sets expectations unnecessarily and for no benefit

Samsung's and AT&T's mission is to sell more equipment so AT&T can sell more minutes.  No matter how you cut it, our looking for upgrades is not high on either of their lists of important things to do.  I agree we should register our discontent but there is little benefit in dragging Elena'a into this or in raising everyone's expectations by posting her response to your somewhat forceful cross-examination.

The fact is new Captivates do sport Froyo. Just why the update has not been released OTA does point to an AT&T which is so intent upon new business that it does pay short shrift to those who have already bought into it's network.  That is cause for anguish but nailing poor Elena to the cross serves no real purpose.

6 of 61 (11,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 11:39:03 AM
(0)
Contributor
I actually got a few text notifications from at&t this morning telling me that there was an update available. Thinking it was froyo, I excitedly went on to check for software updates on my phone. However the message I got after bit was that there are no updates available. I checked kies also and there were no updates. Anyone know what's up? Did anyone update to froyo?
I actually got a few text notifications from at&t this morning telling me that there was an update available. Thinking it was froyo, I excitedly went on to check for software updates on my phone. However the message I got after bit was that there are no updates available. I checked kies also and there were no updates. Anyone know what's up? Did anyone update to froyo?

7 of 61 (11,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 11:58:25 AM
(0)
Master

That's the mass SMS notification AT&T sent out recently (started two weeks ago) for the two months old JH7 update, not the Froyo. You will get Froyo update message AFTER Captivate Froyo Update has been out for couple months.

That's the mass SMS notification AT&T sent out recently (started two weeks ago) for the two months old JH7 update, not the Froyo. You will get Froyo update message AFTER Captivate Froyo Update has been out for couple months.

8 of 61 (11,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 12:07:37 PM
(0)
Guru

I am running the leaked Froyo and before I actually update to the "official" Froyo I will let others be gunnae pigs and see how badly ATT has crippled/ruined/ect the build and I may never update if its that's bad But I will believe it is availble when I see it not before.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I am running the leaked Froyo and before I actually update to the "official" Froyo I will let others be gunnae pigs and see how badly ATT has crippled/ruined/ect the build and I may never update if its that's bad But I will believe it is availble when I see it not before.

9 of 61 (11,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 2:49:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's not "badgering the witness" when, in three straight responses to my question, said it 1st: would be provided by Samsung and available for download on their website and 2nd: went against what she had just said and said it would be provided by our carrier. Plus, if you think she was trying to appease me, how do you explain pre-typed responses to nearly half of my comments??!  She would send three responses at a time at a given point in our conversation within 2 seconds of each other. Why beat around the bush, if you don't know anything, don't say anything. Don't give three different definitive outcomes to a situation that you have no idea about. I'm just your run of the mill consumer trying to get what was promised, YES!!!PROMISED, when I bought the device. Coercive???? I think not. Just sick and tired of so much bs!

It's not "badgering the witness" when, in three straight responses to my question, said it 1st: would be provided by Samsung and available for download on their website and 2nd: went against what she had just said and said it would be provided by our carrier. Plus, if you think she was trying to appease me, how do you explain pre-typed responses to nearly half of my comments??!  She would send three responses at a time at a given point in our conversation within 2 seconds of each other. Why beat around the bush, if you don't know anything, don't say anything. Don't give three different definitive outcomes to a situation that you have no idea about. I'm just your run of the mill consumer trying to get what was promised, YES!!!PROMISED, when I bought the device. Coercive???? I think not. Just sick and tired of so much bs!

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with Samsung support.

10 of 61 (11,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 3:01:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

No argument... it could certainly be better than it is, that is for certain. :smileymad:

I guess we'll all just sit on this ol' log together here now and wait to see if Elena was right.  :smileywink:

No argument... it could certainly be better than it is, that is for certain. :smileymad:

I guess we'll all just sit on this ol' log together here now and wait to see if Elena was right.  :smileywink:

Re: ATTN: Android 2.2 froyo update in the next few days, via chat with Samsung support.

11 of 61 (4,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 9:33:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

It seems interesting to see that conversation, and I don't know if it means anything but samsung did put up a guide for using kies and when i recently started kies, there was an update to that software itself. maybe we can hope that this is all leading up to the froyo update. I'm just happy because the samsung gps fix app seems to have improved my gps stuff for now, and that is mostly what i wanted froyo for the most

It seems interesting to see that conversation, and I don't know if it means anything but samsung did put up a guide for using kies and when i recently started kies, there was an update to that software itself. maybe we can hope that this is all leading up to the froyo update. I'm just happy because the samsung gps fix app seems to have improved my gps stuff for now, and that is mostly what i wanted froyo for the most

12 of 61 (3,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 3:23:08 AM
(0)
Expert

Picsman wrote:

thing to think about - att has to validate the update to make sure it conforms to their requirements. If you read some of the articles on the net you will see that an OS update has to be validated and approved by both the OS designer AND the carrier. This holds true for Iphones, Windows 7 phones, blackberries, Symbian, Palm, etc.

There is an aticle floating around concerning the new Windows 7 phones that MS has two validation labs for updates to the windows 7 mobile OS, one that conforms to Microsoft validation policies and one that conforms to ATT's validation policies, the OS update is run through both validation proceedures, so that when MS releases it to ATT they already know it will pass ATT validation requirements.

Like wine, ATT will release no update before it's time.

Picsman wrote:

thing to think about - att has to validate the update to make sure it conforms to their requirements. If you read some of the articles on the net you will see that an OS update has to be validated and approved by both the OS designer AND the carrier. This holds true for Iphones, Windows 7 phones, blackberries, Symbian, Palm, etc.

There is an aticle floating around concerning the new Windows 7 phones that MS has two validation labs for updates to the windows 7 mobile OS, one that conforms to Microsoft validation policies and one that conforms to ATT's validation policies, the OS update is run through both validation proceedures, so that when MS releases it to ATT they already know it will pass ATT validation requirements.

Like wine, ATT will release no update before it's time.

13 of 61 (3,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 6:32:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

This is so F.U.B.A.R.  We've been waiting for well over two months for Android 2.2 to be released.  By the time Froyo is released officially, there'll be a leaked version of Gingerbread.

I say give us Android 2.2 or give us Gingerbread!

This is so F.U.B.A.R.  We've been waiting for well over two months for Android 2.2 to be released.  By the time Froyo is released officially, there'll be a leaked version of Gingerbread.

14 of 61 (3,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 10:36:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

bornjamerican wrote:

AMEN!!  Other cells will most likely have Gingerbread before we get Froyo.  Thank God for the custom ROM-ers!

bornjamerican wrote:

AMEN!!  Other cells will most likely have Gingerbread before we get Froyo.  Thank God for the custom ROM-ers!

15 of 61 (3,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 12:04:13 PM
(0)
Explorer

I hate to mention this, but a friend of a friend of a friend, also says that although the release of 2.2 is eminent, 2.XX will soon follow in order to address some of the (as yet) undiscovered "issues" with 2.2.  :robottongue:

I hate to mention this, but a friend of a friend of a friend, also says that although the release of 2.2 is eminent, 2.XX will soon follow in order to address some of the (as yet) undiscovered "issues" with 2.2.  :robottongue:

16 of 61 (3,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 6:27:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

I found at&t technical/customer service absolutely useless and clueless. Often times they reading/typing from scripts. While they offer perfused apologies, they do not have rigth training and/or info to help.

You find more help by internet search and reading comments from other users (which seems to be at&T strategy to push customers elsewere for info/help, thus reducing their cost of technical support).

I found at&t technical/customer service absolutely useless and clueless. Often times they reading/typing from scripts. While they offer perfused apologies, they do not have rigth training and/or info to help.

You find more help by internet search and reading comments from other users (which seems to be at&T strategy to push customers elsewere for info/help, thus reducing their cost of technical support).

17 of 61 (3,387 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 8:20:55 AM
(0)
Professor

Of course they're reading answers. You can't expect them to be completely knowledgeable about every aspect of every phone. They probably get training in basic troubleshooting and have to search a database of problems/solutions based on what the customer is telling them. Not always an easy task. Just look at the way some questions are asked right here on the forum, then imagine taking questions like that all day long. I sure wouldn't want the job. I wonder what the turn around rate is on that position...

Personally, I've never gotten anything but excellent service when I call CS. Sure it might take a while to work thorough a problem, but if you have a little patience and don't cop an attitude, they can usually help.

Of course they're reading answers. You can't expect them to be completely knowledgeable about every aspect of every phone. They probably get training in basic troubleshooting and have to search a database of problems/solutions based on what the customer is telling them. Not always an easy task. Just look at the way some questions are asked right here on the forum, then imagine taking questions like that all day long. I sure wouldn't want the job. I wonder what the turn around rate is on that position...

Personally, I've never gotten anything but excellent service when I call CS. Sure it might take a while to work thorough a problem, but if you have a little patience and don't cop an attitude, they can usually help.

18 of 61 (3,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2010 1:49:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Mbarnett83 (aka Matthew), Thank you for your posts, I really enjoyed your chat session.  I felt as if I was there, considering I have been there on too many occassions.  The Robotic automated responses kill me.  It's bad enough there is a communication barrier when I speak with a tech (from India) - it's necessary to repeat everything at least 3 times and even then it's still misunderstood.  But it's nothing like it when I do a Live phone session with someone when there is a language barrier - they basically will say anything to get out of the session.  Again thanks for the post.

That said, according to an Android Tech I spoke with, even after the 2.2 update is released by Samsung, the carrier (AT&T) will have to release it to their customers. So it really is in AT&T's court.

Mbarnett83 (aka Matthew), Thank you for your posts, I really enjoyed your chat session.  I felt as if I was there, considering I have been there on too many occassions.  The Robotic automated responses kill me.  It's bad enough there is a communication barrier when I speak with a tech (from India) - it's necessary to repeat everything at least 3 times and even then it's still misunderstood.  But it's nothing like it when I do a Live phone session with someone when there is a language barrier - they basically will say anything to get out of the session.  Again thanks for the post.

That said, according to an Android Tech I spoke with, even after the 2.2 update is released by Samsung, the carrier (AT&T) will have to release it to their customers. So it really is in AT&T's court.

Via My Captivate Galaxy S

19 of 61 (2,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 7:02:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well in a very recent (just a few days ago) ratings poll of 50,000 cell phone users around the country, Consumer Reports puts AT&T at dead last for overall signal and service!  Verizon came in first, then US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile and lastly AT&T.  I might have the middle ones mixed up a bit...memory issues.  Whats important is that Verizon is #1 and AT&T is dead last.

Thats too bad too.  I have beena loyal customer for many years and came soooo close to going to Verizon in August when mycontract was up.  They are about to loose me.

Well in a very recent (just a few days ago) ratings poll of 50,000 cell phone users around the country, Consumer Reports puts AT&T at dead last for overall signal and service!  Verizon came in first, then US Cellular, Sprint, T-Mobile and lastly AT&T.  I might have the middle ones mixed up a bit...memory issues.  Whats important is that Verizon is #1 and AT&T is dead last.

Thats too bad too.  I have beena loyal customer for many years and came soooo close to going to Verizon in August when mycontract was up.  They are about to loose me.

20 of 61 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 3:36:24 AM
(0)
Expert

catatized wrote:

wow, really large survey group, 50K out if an estimated 72.9 million ATT wireless users, really accurate results there. NOT. Wonder how they justified that "large" of a precentage for the survey, must be the total number of cell phone users that subscribe to CR and believe that their reports are the truth.

Why wait, pay the etf and jump now

catatized wrote:

wow, really large survey group, 50K out if an estimated 72.9 million ATT wireless users, really accurate results there. NOT. Wonder how they justified that "large" of a precentage for the survey, must be the total number of cell phone users that subscribe to CR and believe that their reports are the truth.

Why wait, pay the etf and jump now

21 of 61 (2,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 8:37:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

Still waiting for an Update to Froyo...everyone and there mother is getting them but NO here we stand with our

!@#$%^&*PHONE in our hand! Stuck at 2.1

It's no wonder the other companies are gaining market share while AT&T gives up. Stupid making all the wrong decisions and again the consumer and loyal customers get attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis. a.k.a. Screwed!

Thanx:smileymad:

Still waiting for an Update to Froyo...everyone and there mother is getting them but NO here we stand with our

It's no wonder the other companies are gaining market share while AT&T gives up. Stupid making all the wrong decisions and again the consumer and loyal customers get attached to another object by an incline plane, wrapped helicly around an axis. a.k.a. Screwed!

Sent from My Android Phone...Still waiting on Froyo 2.2 From AT&T

22 of 61 (2,144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 12:34:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I do not agree with your pressure-driven tactics on getting an answer from that support rep!

She was obviously uncomfortable with these questions she could not answer but you still persisted.

What is happening to patience in the world??

Look, the Captivate is a GREAT phone. And I do agree that BOTH AT&T and Samsung are really dropping the ball on such an outstanding multimedia communication device. But taking aggression out on Elena only satisfied you for a moment.

It probably affected her for a bit longer.

I do not agree with your pressure-driven tactics on getting an answer from that support rep!

She was obviously uncomfortable with these questions she could not answer but you still persisted.

What is happening to patience in the world??

Look, the Captivate is a GREAT phone. And I do agree that BOTH AT&T and Samsung are really dropping the ball on such an outstanding multimedia communication device. But taking aggression out on Elena only satisfied you for a moment.

It probably affected her for a bit longer.

23 of 61 (2,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:28:03 AM
(0)
Expert

pjglassman wrote:

no different at the other carriers, lot of theirs are not updated yet eiter per their forums and otehr websites.

pjglassman wrote:

no different at the other carriers, lot of theirs are not updated yet eiter per their forums and otehr websites.

24 of 61 (2,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 8:52:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

Really, Put the crack pipe down and go read some other forums, and learn how to Spell..

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

Really, Put the crack pipe down and go read some other forums, and learn how to Spell..

25 of 61 (2,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 10:20:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

@ vboom71

First of all, it really doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with my "pressure-driven" or "aggressive" tactics, and secondly, the only reason I developed a persistent stance on the matter was influenced by Elena's, for a lack of a better word, stupidity. Listen, the only reason I hopped on chat support, was to figure out why my phone said it was connected through the MTP Application and why kies mini did not recognize it. She immediately threw out auto-responses to things I never asked, i.e(Elena: I understand that you are trying to transfer and sync Outlook content on your PC to handset, but the application software "KIES" full version  used to  fulfill the requirement is not yet released for users in U.S officially at this moment and hence there is no relevant information or support  available for the same.) and please refer to what I asked her in the beginning of the conversation. (not kies full, mini only and firmware only) Then, before my big ol' mean self, delved into my "aggressive inquistion", decided she would openly give three responses (literally) within 2-3 seconds of each other, i.e

As anyone can plainly see, she gave three conflicting responses, and just in case you cannot see, i'll explain. 1. No update, nor eta for one being released. 2. Once released, it will be available through Samsung Download center. and 3. (which is my favorite) Samsung will release in a few days, and will be available OTA via your carrier.

This was all before my "aggressive" tactics sir or mam. I think the chat played out exactly the way it should have, with the information that was given. Yes, I was very persistent, but I do no believe I was rude, and even if a little rudeness bubbled up, it was well within the confines of an upset customer, concerned about a product that does not perform as promised!  It was posted to this forum as per informative reasons only, so the people who are just as frustrated as I can see what else is going on behind the scenes beyond there own frustrations, not for you to pass your non-informative judgement.

@ vboom71

First of all, it really doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with my "pressure-driven" or "aggressive" tactics, and secondly, the only reason I developed a persistent stance on the matter was influenced by Elena's, for a lack of a better word, stupidity. Listen, the only reason I hopped on chat support, was to figure out why my phone said it was connected through the MTP Application and why kies mini did not recognize it. She immediately threw out auto-responses to things I never asked, i.e(Elena: I understand that you are trying to transfer and sync Outlook content on your PC to handset, but the application software "KIES" full version  used to  fulfill the requirement is not yet released for users in U.S officially at this moment and hence there is no relevant information or support  available for the same.) and please refer to what I asked her in the beginning of the conversation. (not kies full, mini only and firmware only) Then, before my big ol' mean self, delved into my "aggressive inquistion", decided she would openly give three responses (literally) within 2-3 seconds of each other, i.e

As anyone can plainly see, she gave three conflicting responses, and just in case you cannot see, i'll explain. 1. No update, nor eta for one being released. 2. Once released, it will be available through Samsung Download center. and 3. (which is my favorite) Samsung will release in a few days, and will be available OTA via your carrier.

This was all before my "aggressive" tactics sir or mam. I think the chat played out exactly the way it should have, with the information that was given. Yes, I was very persistent, but I do no believe I was rude, and even if a little rudeness bubbled up, it was well within the confines of an upset customer, concerned about a product that does not perform as promised!  It was posted to this forum as per informative reasons only, so the people who are just as frustrated as I can see what else is going on behind the scenes beyond there own frustrations, not for you to pass your non-informative judgement.

26 of 61 (1,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 10:38:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Mbarnett83 on Dec 11, 2010 at 11:30:42 AM

@vboom71

I don't know how you expect patience to last in a situation in which we all were given dates, multiple in fact, that this upgrade would be available by now. September, October, and ALL WILL HAVE BY THE END OF NOVEMBER, have come and gone! What patience should be left? Both companies don't even have the courtesy to give you a straight answer.  I, at the very least, think we deserve an update on the situation. Are they ever going to release froyo? Have they jumped ship? Did they decide to forget the ever released the Captivate? or Did they bypass froyo, and begin working on Gingerbread instead?

Who has time for patience for a situation as cluster$%^&&* as this? Apparently not a lot of people, [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. I'm not the villain here, nor is anybody else, who have had far worse chat sessions with both sides. FAR WORSE.....and trust me, there are plenty out there that I have read. Although you reserve the right to voice your opinion, who are you to judge and more importantly, who are you to tell everyone to be patient?

@vboom71

I don't know how you expect patience to last in a situation in which we all were given dates, multiple in fact, that this upgrade would be available by now. September, October, and ALL WILL HAVE BY THE END OF NOVEMBER, have come and gone! What patience should be left? Both companies don't even have the courtesy to give you a straight answer.  I, at the very least, think we deserve an update on the situation. Are they ever going to release froyo? Have they jumped ship? Did they decide to forget the ever released the Captivate? or Did they bypass froyo, and begin working on Gingerbread instead?

Who has time for patience for a situation as cluster$%^&&* as this? Apparently not a lot of people, [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. I'm not the villain here, nor is anybody else, who have had far worse chat sessions with both sides. FAR WORSE.....and trust me, there are plenty out there that I have read. Although you reserve the right to voice your opinion, who are you to judge and more importantly, who are you to tell everyone to be patient?

[ Edited ]
27 of 61 (1,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 12:50:31 PM
(0)
Expert

pjglassman wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

here you go spelled out in the kings english

It is no different at the other carriers, the majority of their phones are not updated as you so claim per their own forums, the descriptions of the phones being supplied on their website and their customers complaining about the same exact msiconceptions you are putting forth in undocumented claims.

If you absolutely believe what you post, the option is there for you to leave your current service provider by paying the ETF and go to which ever provider you are claiming to have updated all their android based phones to the latest and greatest release of the OS, but I do suggest that you do the due dilignece before you make the move or you may find that your assumptions where incorrect also.

pjglassman wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

It is no different at the other carriers, the majority of their phones are not updated as you so claim per their own forums, the descriptions of the phones being supplied on their website and their customers complaining about the same exact msiconceptions you are putting forth in undocumented claims.

If you absolutely believe what you post, the option is there for you to leave your current service provider by paying the ETF and go to which ever provider you are claiming to have updated all their android based phones to the latest and greatest release of the OS, but I do suggest that you do the due dilignece before you make the move or you may find that your assumptions where incorrect also.

28 of 61 (1,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 6:12:17 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pjglassman on Dec 11, 2010 at 8:17:40 PM

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

I suggest YOU do the due diligance and quit just trying to get the last word in.. You where not present when I purchased my phone and therefor what you think is un-important what is important to me is that AT&T do the right thing and get the updates out to the owners of these phones, Stop with the promises and get on it.
As far as paying the ETF NO_ONE (please be courteous)..(I have read you posts). Here, in the Kings english, Take a poll mook and read the Forum people want it now! not later, Samsung has released it PERIOD! At&T needs to get off there hands and just because they can't push it out with all the other BLOATware in it. WE the consumer should not be held hostage. Further more if you beleive what your selling then WHY don't they say why it's not rolled out yet! You got any smart answers there smartguy.... I don't think so! because YOU don't know!...Sure you can speculate but that does not interest myself or the other people on this forum especially as it relates to what other carriers do. SO STOP wasting the bandwitdh with your NONSENSE - ANSWERS.
Thank You and have a nice DAY!

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

I suggest YOU do the due diligance and quit just trying to get the last word in.. You where not present when I purchased my phone and therefor what you think is un-important what is important to me is that AT&T do the right thing and get the updates out to the owners of these phones, Stop with the promises and get on it.
As far as paying the ETF NO_ONE (please be courteous)..(I have read you posts). Here, in the Kings english, Take a poll mook and read the Forum people want it now! not later, Samsung has released it PERIOD! At&T needs to get off there hands and just because they can't push it out with all the other BLOATware in it. WE the consumer should not be held hostage. Further more if you beleive what your selling then WHY don't they say why it's not rolled out yet! You got any smart answers there smartguy.... I don't think so! because YOU don't know!...Sure you can speculate but that does not interest myself or the other people on this forum especially as it relates to what other carriers do. SO STOP wasting the bandwitdh with your NONSENSE - ANSWERS.

[ Edited ]
29 of 61 (1,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 6:59:42 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 11, 2010 at 7:03:27 PM

pjglassman wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

As far as paying the ETF NO_ONE cares what You think..(I have read you posts). Here, in the Kings english, Take a poll mook and read the Forum people want it now! not later, Samsung has released it PERIOD! At&T needs to get off there hands and just because they can't push it out with all the other BLOATware in it. WE the consumer should not be held hostage. Further more if you beleive what your selling then WHY don't they say why it's not rolled out yet! You got any smart answers there smartguy.... I don't think so! because YOU don't know!...Sure you can speculate but that does not interest myself or the other people on this forum especially as it relates to what other carriers do. SO STOP wasting the bandwitdh with your NONSENSE - ANSWERS.

Not selling anything, just stating the facts as documented.  You have no conception of the answer either, unless you can supply some validated documentation, as you say this is not worth my time anymore. I hope you get get what you desire and all that you deserve.  cannot help it if you are not getting the answer that fulfills your hearts desires and you demands, but then again this is not a forum where you will get an answer from att, the only official presence tthey have here is moderation.

By the way - the last time I looked none of the Samsung Galaxy S phones on Verizon have 2.2 yet. Only the Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid Property and LG Vortex have Android 2.2

I appreciate the thank you and just so you know - I always have a nice day. done with this, not worth my time, patience is a virtue.

pjglassman wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

pjglassman wrote:

As far as paying the ETF NO_ONE cares what You think..(I have read you posts). Here, in the Kings english, Take a poll mook and read the Forum people want it now! not later, Samsung has released it PERIOD! At&T needs to get off there hands and just because they can't push it out with all the other BLOATware in it. WE the consumer should not be held hostage. Further more if you beleive what your selling then WHY don't they say why it's not rolled out yet! You got any smart answers there smartguy.... I don't think so! because YOU don't know!...Sure you can speculate but that does not interest myself or the other people on this forum especially as it relates to what other carriers do. SO STOP wasting the bandwitdh with your NONSENSE - ANSWERS.

Not selling anything, just stating the facts as documented.  You have no conception of the answer either, unless you can supply some validated documentation, as you say this is not worth my time anymore. I hope you get get what you desire and all that you deserve.  cannot help it if you are not getting the answer that fulfills your hearts desires and you demands, but then again this is not a forum where you will get an answer from att, the only official presence tthey have here is moderation.

By the way - the last time I looked none of the Samsung Galaxy S phones on Verizon have 2.2 yet. Only the Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid Property and LG Vortex have Android 2.2

I appreciate the thank you and just so you know - I always have a nice day. done with this, not worth my time, patience is a virtue.

[ Edited ]
30 of 61 (1,816 Views)