ATT won't replace defective Samsung Focus phones with new phones

Contributor

ATT won't replace defective Samsung Focus phones with new phones

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

So I bought the new Samsung Focus 60 days ago (Jan 2011), and had I known that the ATT wouldn't replace the phone (after the hardware failed) with a new phone, I wouldn't have renewed with ATT.  Short-story version: My Focus went crazy yesterday, and people can't hear me on the line and I can't download images, etc.  So I called ATT customer service from an ATT store, they said that they won't replace the phone except with a used, refurbished phone.  They cited that it is ATT policy and the only warranty available is from Samsung which states that I will get a used phone.

I spent four hours on the phone trying to get customer service in the Pueblo, CO branch to see my point of view.  I spend $320/month on cell service for four lines (me and my wife have two each).  I told them that any other company with products (Ford, Apple, etc.) would replace defective lemons with new products, not with used products.  I spoke with three successive managers at the Pueblo branch with the final manager, Desiree B., telling me that I was out of luck and I asked her, "Do you think it is fair to buy a new product and for that product to be defective and then replaced with a used product?"  She responded, "Yes, I do.  And you should have known that you would get a used phone after 30 days warranty."  It seems to me that ATT has a major policy problem, and if this is the type of business policy that they want to keep, then people should know how ATT will treat them so that informed consumers can go to another company for cell service.  ATT is hiding behind the old "it's not our fault ... it's our policy and we can't help you."  Well, thanks for no customer service, ATT! 

Message 1 of 9 (3,253 Views)
Master

Re: ATT won't replace defective Samsung Focus phones with new phones

Sounds like the policy of the other carriers too. Within 30 days you can exchange for a new phone, but after that point a warranty replacement will most likely be a certified used device.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9 (3,179 Views)
Expert

chrismfoltz wrote:

Hey everyone,

So I bought the new Samsung Focus 60 days ago (Jan 2011), and had I known that the ATT wouldn't replace the phone (after the hardware failed) with a new phone, I wouldn't have renewed with ATT.  Short-story version: My Focus went crazy yesterday, and people can't hear me on the line and I can't download images, etc.  So I called ATT customer service from an ATT store, they said that they won't replace the phone except with a used, refurbished phone.  They cited that it is ATT policy and the only warranty available is from Samsung which states that I will get a used phone.

I spent four hours on the phone trying to get customer service in the Pueblo, CO branch to see my point of view.  I spend $320/month on cell service for four lines (me and my wife have two each).  I told them that any other company with products (Ford, Apple, etc.) would replace defective lemons with new products, not with used products.  I spoke with three successive managers at the Pueblo branch with the final manager, Desiree B., telling me that I was out of luck and I asked her, "Do you think it is fair to buy a new product and for that product to be defective and then replaced with a used product?"  She responded, "Yes, I do.  And you should have known that you would get a used phone after 30 days warranty."  It seems to me that ATT has a major policy problem, and if this is the type of business policy that they want to keep, then people should know how ATT will treat them so that informed consumers can go to another company for cell service.  ATT is hiding behind the old "it's not our fault ... it's our policy and we can't help you."  Well, thanks for no customer service, ATT! 

ford = never seen them replace a "defective car" with a new one

Apple = even they give you refurbs at the store, you don;t get new ones under warrenty, exception might be if you prurchased directly from them.

ATT, Sprint, Verizon have the same policy for warrenty replacement - refurb

Message 3 of 9 (3,171 Views)

I can understand both sides of this story. But a few key things to remember. After a period of time (30 days) your current phone is no longer new, and is itself already quite used, right? Now, other key thing, your phone also does not work, yeah? And last, you can get it replaced with one that (cross your fingers) does work, and if not, return that until you do get one that does. I would rather have a used phone that works, in place of a new one that has issues. All 3 times in my 11 years with this company with exchanging phones on warranty/insurance has been beneficial to me. As always, this is my experience and YMMV.

Message 4 of 9 (3,153 Views)
Professor

I think it is reasonable to exchange a used phone (yours) with a used phone (from at&t).

Message 5 of 9 (3,092 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

This is the policy for all carriers as others have stated. The phone you receive will look brand new and work fine.

Message 6 of 9 (3,024 Views)
Tutor

I agree with you, but what is even stranger is the number of replies, supposedly from customers, who defend a policy like this.

Message 7 of 9 (2,827 Views)
Professor

ericowens wrote:

I agree with you, but what is even stranger is the number of replies, supposedly from customers, who defend a policy like this.

I wouldn't call it customers agreeing with the policy, just customers that research this and other carriers to understand that this is how all carriers conduct this type of issue.

Besides, I had to have a phone replaced with a refurbished unit and it was such an improvement from the factory new unit that when I look for "new" phones, I always check the "referb" section first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 8 of 9 (2,813 Views)
Scholar

I've have had this happen to me here at AT&T, Apple with ipods & iphones and with Dell laptops..  It is what it is, I agree it just doesn't seem right but that's the policy we agreed on when we renewed our contracts Smiley Sad

Sent from my iPad

Message 9 of 9 (2,779 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.