ATT will NOT replace my phone stolen by FED EX until Fed Ex pays ATT back

Contributor

ATT will NOT replace my phone stolen by FED EX until Fed Ex pays ATT back

I'm writing this message in hopes that other people are having the same insane answers from customer care that I'm getting.  I pre-ordered my Iphone 4S on 10/7/2011.  As of today I still haven't received my Iphone.  The phone was stolen from Fed Ex.  I have called numerous times to ATT to have the drop ship me another phone due to this issue.  Over the past 2 weeks I have contacted customer care 8 times to find out where my pre-ordered IPhone is going to arrive.  I've been told the following; we will not ship you out another phone until Fed Ex pays us back for the stolen phone.  I have gone down to the ATT store and a very nice manger advised me her hands were tied and she couldn't understand why customer care wouldn't just ship me out another phone.  The refuse to cancel my order so I can then re-order my phone in the store or through Apple.  They state, "We can not give you your money back because the system shows the phone as shipped." 

So even with my numerous phone calls into customer care, Fed Ex's open case and confirmation from Fed Ex that they will reimburse once they have completed their investigation ATT still refuses to credit my account or give me my money back for a phone I purchased 40 days ago!  I'm currently on the phone waiting now for 40 minutes for a customer care rep to call Fed Ex and the rep hasn't come back on the line once to say what's going on or if he's gotten closer to finding an answer. 

I'm so upset by this whole situation that I have told EVERYONE on facebook and my family and friends how unhappy and unprofessional this entire experience has been.  I haven't been offered any discount or compensation for my waiting or inconveniences while talking to customer care these past 2 weeks.  I will never pre-order a phone from ATT again and I will think twice about continuing my service with them in the future.

A very dissatisfied 4 year ATT customer

Message 1 of 29
Professor

Re: ATT will NOT replace my phone stolen by FED EX until Fed Ex pays ATT back

It seems like you need to be talking to FedEx. Based on what you've said, AT&T is waiting on FedEx and once FedEx does what they are supposed to do, AT&T will send you another phone.
Message 2 of 29
Guru

I agree with Dwill05. Your beef should be with FedEx and not AT&T. It sucks that this happened to you but AT&T needs to follow their policy.
Message 3 of 29
Scholar

Not at&t's fault. I think I would be more concerned with using FedEx's services in the future, as opposed to AT&T's.
Message 4 of 29
Voyager

As much as it sucks and some people here are suggesting to contact FedEx, you really can't do anything with the shipping companies. 

ATT was the party that contracted the shipper to send the package, not you.  ATT is responsible for filing the claim to the shipper and the shipper is responsible for investigating the claim (can take awhile) and then if paying the claim, will pay ATT.

I've dealt with similar issues with camera equipment and other items.  The shipping company isn't responsible to you, just the shipper.  If you had the item shipped using your FedEx / UPS shipping account, then it would be different as you're the one who contracted the shipping, not ATT.

You'll have to fight ATT on this one.  Some companies will wait for confirmation from the shipper that the package was truely lost or misdelivered before sending out a replacement. It's not just ATT who has this practice.

You can certainly do a chargeback on your card as ATT can not prove that you received the package (which is why they are pretty strict on delivery of the phones). If you do a chargeback, most likely ATT will still not send you a new phone at the discounted contract price until the issue was resolved as well.

I know it doesn't help and it still sucks.  But mainly wanted to make sure anyone reading this doesn't think they have any recourse with the shipping company as they don't. Only ATT.

Message 5 of 29
Professor

if i was you i would cal FEDEX every day 2 or 3 times a day. if you have a local news that has a in your corner or a hot line to report storys like this i would do it. my local news has a thing called in your corner to help with problems like this. i would also file a  Complaint with the BBB.  i can't believe fedex will not help with this. did the  delivery get stolen off your front porch?or did it disapear in fedex custody?

thats why i will NOT due a pre order to be shipped to my home. due to thiefs and other night mares. i went to the apple store 10/15/11 and got my iphone 4S directly from apple store.

good luck hope you get your new Iphone  4S.

Message 6 of 29
Contributor

Your issue is not with Fed Ex. Your issue is with ATT. There is nothing you can do about a shipment you never received. How do you even know that fed-ex even received your package for pick-up. Someone with att could have intervened just as well.  I had an item that wasn't shipped to me also. The company told me I needed to make a police report, because my package was delivered and left outside. I told them that I was not making a police report on an item I had never laid eyes on. That doesn't make any sense. So my question to you is: why would you attempt to call FED EX, on a package you don't know has ever existed. That is not your issue and shouldn't be your concern, All you should have done is called ATT, and told them that you have not received your phone, which you paid for. Any issue they have with their shipping company is not your problem. You should tell them to send you your phone, your refund your money. Then go to your bank and have those charges reversed. It is unbelievable the amount of  unnecessary  crap we have to put up with in our daily lives, because people refuse to do their job. This is totally ATT's responsibility.

Message 7 of 29
Guru

Thatsmyname wrote:
Not at&t's fault. I think I would be more concerned with using FedEx's services in the future, as opposed to AT&T's.

Since I know very little about how AT&T's shipping process, I'll just ask this--can a customer specify a different shipping company for AT&T to use in shipping the customer's product to him/her?  IOW--does the customer have complete control over which company AT&T uses in shipping products?

Sure, AT&T is not to blame for FedEx somehow not having delivered the product to the customer...but to say/insist that it's (solely) the customer's responsibility to contact the shipper in trying to find out why he hasn't received his item yet?  Not sure why the onus should be on the customer--after all, he's not the one who selected the shipping company and he's not the one who shipped the item...so if anything, it should be the sender who should be initiating and following through if/when shipped items do not reach their intended destination and there's no proof that the item was received by the intended recipient and/or was physically delivered to the correct location.

It's one thing if FedEx has proof that the item was delivered to the intended destination--in that case, then yes you'd need to take point on dealing with FedEx; OTOH if FedEx can't prove at all that the item was physically delivered to your doorstep (i.e., it never reached your home), then you shouldn't have to be the one who should be dealing with having to call FedEx every day until the issue is resolved--that should be done between AT&T and FedEx.

Message 8 of 29
Professor

The OP stated it was stolen from Fed Ex. Not sure exactly what was meant, but if it was stolen from Fed Ex, it would be a Fed Ex issue.
Message 9 of 29
Expert

FredW wrote:
The OP stated it was stolen from Fed Ex. Not sure exactly what was meant, but if it was stolen from Fed Ex, it would be a Fed Ex issue.

I took it as it was stolen from their door after it was deleivered, but that is open for interpetation. The other thing I know of very few companies, if any that will replace a item before the insurance company pays off the the lose of the item for the simple reason the company does not knw if the inurance company will honor the claim

Message 10 of 29
Professor

There are some companies that will, or that will make some arrangement. I am not saying that at&t couldn't just be nice and replace the phone and wait on the insurance money. But they shouldn't be required to, and depending on the exact situation it might not be a good idea.
Message 11 of 29

FedEx service is horrible in my area. They fail to deliver and claim no one is home, or they claim the package was delivered when it wasn't - and various other screw-ups. I had one package arrive five months late after they claimed it was delivered on time.

Now, when I post a review for an online merchant, I hold them responsible for the outcome if they choose to ship with FedEx. If the package never arrives, they get the lowest rating. It was their decision to use FedEx.

As for your situation, you can't necessarily assume FedEx stole the phone. It may have slipped into whatever black hole FedEx packages slip into when the driver doesn't feel like making all those deliveries. If you're lucky, it might actually show up before the iPhone 5 is released. IMHO ATT should show some understanding and send the replacement out right away. The package I had that was five months late was from LL Bean. They sent a replacement promptly. I never had to deal with FedEx at all. When the original arrived, I called them and asked what to do with it and they told me to keep it.

Message 12 of 29
Scholar

@tonester I took this post as the package was stolen BY FedEx, because thats what the title says. If that is, in fact, true, then that is why I would be leery about FedEx in the future. i dont know about AT&ts shipping policies, I just meant that if I were in this situation, and FedEx stole my package, I would be nervous about anything shipped to me via FedEx in the future. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 29
Expert

FredW wrote:
There are some companies that will, or that will make some arrangement. I am not saying that at&t couldn't just be nice and replace the phone and wait on the insurance money. But they shouldn't be required to, and depending on the exact situation it might not be a good idea.

have yet to expierence any company that will do that, unless the insurance company states in writing that they will cover the loss, there is no way of the company know if they will be reimbursed for the loss, or even when. It will depend on how long it takes to investigate the loss and determine if it should be covered or not.

have never seen  company that will replace a missing item early with no proof that they will be reimbursed - if they do not get the money, what do you think the reaction is going ot be when they come back and say the insurance comoany did nto pay off, give us the item back?

Message 14 of 29
Expert

Thatsmyname wrote:
@tonester I took this post as the package was stolen BY FedEx, because thats what the title says. If that is, in fact, true, then that is why I would be leery about FedEx in the future. i dont know about AT&ts shipping policies, I just meant that if I were in this situation, and FedEx stole my package, I would be nervous about anything shipped to me via FedEx in the future. Smiley Happy

took it directly opposite, that the package was stolen after fedex delivered it, would be nice if the OP was a little more accurate when they posted

Message 15 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support