ATT will NOT replace my phone stolen by FED EX until Fed Ex pays ATT back

Contributor

ATT will NOT replace my phone stolen by FED EX until Fed Ex pays ATT back

I'm writing this message in hopes that other people are having the same insane answers from customer care that I'm getting.  I pre-ordered my Iphone 4S on 10/7/2011.  As of today I still haven't received my Iphone.  The phone was stolen from Fed Ex.  I have called numerous times to ATT to have the drop ship me another phone due to this issue.  Over the past 2 weeks I have contacted customer care 8 times to find out where my pre-ordered IPhone is going to arrive.  I've been told the following; we will not ship you out another phone until Fed Ex pays us back for the stolen phone.  I have gone down to the ATT store and a very nice manger advised me her hands were tied and she couldn't understand why customer care wouldn't just ship me out another phone.  The refuse to cancel my order so I can then re-order my phone in the store or through Apple.  They state, "We can not give you your money back because the system shows the phone as shipped." 

So even with my numerous phone calls into customer care, Fed Ex's open case and confirmation from Fed Ex that they will reimburse once they have completed their investigation ATT still refuses to credit my account or give me my money back for a phone I purchased 40 days ago!  I'm currently on the phone waiting now for 40 minutes for a customer care rep to call Fed Ex and the rep hasn't come back on the line once to say what's going on or if he's gotten closer to finding an answer. 

I'm so upset by this whole situation that I have told EVERYONE on facebook and my family and friends how unhappy and unprofessional this entire experience has been.  I haven't been offered any discount or compensation for my waiting or inconveniences while talking to customer care these past 2 weeks.  I will never pre-order a phone from ATT again and I will think twice about continuing my service with them in the future.

A very dissatisfied 4 year ATT customer

Message 1 of 29 (6,474 Views)
Mentor

Re: ATT will NOT replace my phone stolen by FED EX until Fed Ex pays ATT back

Everybody remembers the courier DHL that went bankrupt years ago. Now they only deal with International Shipping and not domestic.  They had a habit of leaving packages at consumer's doors that required a signature. I've lost a Dell laptop and a JVC camcorder due to this. DHL never questioned it and paid the loss to the shipper.

These courier companies need to take resposibility when it comes to loss prevention. With the country in a recession and Christmas coming, everyone is looking to turn a quick buck.

Take my advice.... when shipping, ship INSURED ! It may cost an extra few dollars but will save headaches in the long run.

Message 16 of 29 (5,784 Views)
Professor

today i was off work early, i heard a UPS truck coming and i am waiting for UPS! he went down the street and dropped off a box. i was checking my mail box for the mail. i seen a beat up old black car drive by real slow. they was looking at the box on the  front porch i am sure of it. so i ducked behind my trash cans and watched for a few.sure enough a man stopped and got out of the car.so  i started video on the 4S as i walked towards him he turn around. i said can i help you do you live here? or even know  the people that live here? he said ohh i have the wrong address. so i placed the box behind a wooden bench on the front porch. when the people got home  i walked down and told them what the deal was and played the video for them.they stated they did not know him.i showed them where i put the box. the ywas very happy i have done this. it was a upgrade 4S iphone from AT&T.

christmas coming up in 39 days, shipping companys are busy so are thives.

Message 17 of 29 (5,781 Views)
Scholar

@wingrider01, yeah, OP says "by fedex" in the title, and "from fedex" in the post, so it is anybodys guess as to what they meant. Smiley Wink

@graphite07 Good job!!! Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 29 (5,765 Views)
Expert

firemandude wrote:

Everybody remembers the courier DHL that went bankrupt years ago. Now they only deal with International Shipping and not domestic.  They had a habit of leaving packages at consumer's doors that required a signature. I've lost a Dell laptop and a JVC camcorder due to this. DHL never questioned it and paid the loss to the shipper.

These courier companies need to take resposibility when it comes to loss prevention. With the country in a recession and Christmas coming, everyone is looking to turn a quick buck.

Take my advice.... when shipping, ship INSURED ! It may cost an extra few dollars but will save headaches in the long run.

the point is what

1. fedex does it - this has been documented in the news, and with packages that require signature

2. UPS does it with the same regularity as fedex

3. requiring a signature does not promise that the the package will be delivered and signed for by a person at the correct address, have 15,000.00 worth of cisco phone equipment delivered by the carrier that required signature - to the wrong address...it was signed for and left by the driver

4. all packages shipped via UPS or Fedex are insured to a specific amount, if you need more you can request additonal insurance coverage over and above . Believe the limit is 100.00 for all carriers, Unless request of the shipper, the default insurance coverage of 100.00 is applied, if you are willing to negotiate with the shipper for additional insurance you will be paying approximately 0.90 cents per 100.00 of declared value. (which by the way proof will be required of the declared value is a claim is filed)
5. shipping insured does not always mean that if anything happens you will be automagicly covered, there will be an investigation into the claim and nothing will be paid out (if anything is) until the investigation is complete - this can take time

6. Cannot find any documentatin that DHL actually filed for Bankruptcy, they did do a restructure which is different then bankruptcy. it was reported that they dropped out of the US marketing simply becasue they only had less then 5 percent of domestic shipping and it wasn;t worth keeping the domestic arm open financially

Message 19 of 29 (5,747 Views)
Guru

Thatsmyname wrote:
@tonester I took this post as the package was stolen BY FedEx, because thats what the title says. If that is, in fact, true, then that is why I would be leery about FedEx in the future. i dont know about AT&ts shipping policies, I just meant that if I were in this situation, and FedEx stole my package, I would be nervous about anything shipped to me via FedEx in the future. Smiley Happy

Understood...however, to be fair FedEx is not the only shipping company that has incidents like that; I'm sure there are stories to be found of stuff stolen from within (i.e., by) UPS and other major shipping companies as well.

Message 20 of 29 (5,735 Views)
Mentor

Call credit card make a dispute order
Never recieved. End of story .
Message 21 of 29 (5,778 Views)
Expert

Gunrun911 wrote:
Call credit card make a dispute order
Never recieved. End of story .

won;t work - the cc companies will not back charge for a stolen item, most cc companies now investigate heavily these requests

Message 22 of 29 (5,763 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:
There are some companies that will, or that will make some arrangement. I am not saying that at&t couldn't just be nice and replace the phone and wait on the insurance money. But they shouldn't be required to, and depending on the exact situation it might not be a good idea.

have yet to expierence any company that will do that, unless the insurance company states in writing that they will cover the loss, there is no way of the company know if they will be reimbursed for the loss, or even when. It will depend on how long it takes to investigate the loss and determine if it should be covered or not.

have never seen  company that will replace a missing item early with no proof that they will be reimbursed - if they do not get the money, what do you think the reaction is going ot be when they come back and say the insurance comoany did nto pay off, give us the item back?

Actually, Amazon has done this exact thing for me. I ordered a set of computer speakers (~$250) and after seeing a status of 'delivered' on the FedEx tracking system, I called Amazon and explained to them that I did not receive the package and I would like the proof of delivery. They said they would go about getting that information for me if I really wanted it, but they would be shipping another set of speakers out to me that day, no questions asked. It turns out that the speakers were delivered to an address down the street, similar to mine, and I was able to return them (at no cost to me) back to Amazon.

The point is, FedEx delivered to the wrong address. Amazon had not even contacted FedEx before they sent out another package to me. That is why I look to Amazon first for any purchase I am looking to make. It is very rare to find a company, especially companies the size of Amazon, willing to go to such lengths to satisfy a customer.

I'm not saying who is to blame in op's situation, we don't know the whole story. But from what he describes, it sounds to me like AT&T is at fault. It is no secret to me that the people AT&T contracts to sell their product (WalMart, licensed stores, BestBuy) are often kept in the dark where one hand (the contracted) doesn't know what the other hand (AT&T) is doing. This is a terrible business practice, but it will continue because quite frankly, people don't have any other option. Most don't have the money to battle these large corporations in the courtroom and the few problems like these are overshadowed by the many things that go right. But if we were on the same end as op, we might be angry also.

Message 23 of 29 (5,755 Views)
Expert

browski wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:
There are some companies that will, or that will make some arrangement. I am not saying that at&t couldn't just be nice and replace the phone and wait on the insurance money. But they shouldn't be required to, and depending on the exact situation it might not be a good idea.

have yet to expierence any company that will do that, unless the insurance company states in writing that they will cover the loss, there is no way of the company know if they will be reimbursed for the loss, or even when. It will depend on how long it takes to investigate the loss and determine if it should be covered or not.

have never seen  company that will replace a missing item early with no proof that they will be reimbursed - if they do not get the money, what do you think the reaction is going ot be when they come back and say the insurance comoany did nto pay off, give us the item back?

Actually, Amazon has done this exact thing for me. I ordered a set of computer speakers (~$250) and after seeing a status of 'delivered' on the FedEx tracking system, I called Amazon and explained to them that I did not receive the package and I would like the proof of delivery. They said they would go about getting that information for me if I really wanted it, but they would be shipping another set of speakers out to me that day, no questions asked. It turns out that the speakers were delivered to an address down the street, similar to mine, and I was able to return them (at no cost to me) back to Amazon.

The point is, FedEx delivered to the wrong address. Amazon had not even contacted FedEx before they sent out another package to me. That is why I look to Amazon first for any purchase I am looking to make. It is very rare to find a company, especially companies the size of Amazon, willing to go to such lengths to satisfy a customer.

I'm not saying who is to blame in op's situation, we don't know the whole story. But from what he describes, it sounds to me like AT&T is at fault. It is no secret to me that the people AT&T contracts to sell their product (WalMart, licensed stores, BestBuy) are often kept in the dark where one hand (the contracted) doesn't know what the other hand (AT&T) is doing. This is a terrible business practice, but it will continue because quite frankly, people don't have any other option. Most don't have the money to battle these large corporations in the courtroom and the few problems like these are overshadowed by the many things that go right. But if we were on the same end as op, we might be angry also.

Have had that happen also - but the caveat there is Amazon plugged the cost of the replacement devices onto your payment method - if the missing ones did not turn up after a set period of time you would have been charged for the cost of the replacement items - all in the fine print.

Message 24 of 29 (5,740 Views)
Contributor

Hi!

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME TOO!

I went online to see if this is happening to someobdy else, and I guess I'm not surprised to find out that it is!

I ordered my Iphone 4s upgrade Nov. 5th. Fedex stole it before it arrived at my house. I really wasn't suprised, as Fedex also stole my iPAD last summer! I called NUMEROUS times to get it replaced. Everytime, customer service lied to me that they would get on it and get it replaced! Over the phone, they pretended to sound busy getting it processed, but it never happened! Time after time, I kept waiting to receive some sort of confirmation email or text message regarding a replacement, but it never happened. Fedex had confirmed with me and AT&T that the package was long gone, but every time I called AT&T, I had to speak with a new rep. and the new rep. kept telling me that my package was still in New Jersey (the last place it was tracked), and I should just drive over and pick it up there (I DON'T EVEN LIVE IN NEW JERSEY!!).

Finally the third time I called I demanded to speak with a supervisor and made him swear to me that he would do his job and get me a replacement! It finally arrived Nov. 28th, but the problems didn't end there.

AT&T had not updated my replacement iphone with a new sim, so when I called to activate my iphone 4s, they deactivated my blackberry, but didn't even activate my iphone. Since I don't even have a land line, I couldn't call customer service to get my iphone 4s activated! The lady on the phone was ever so rude, and scolded me the whole time while not bothering to activate my new phone regardless of deactivating my old phone. After my contract is finished, I will be DONE with AT&T!

Message 25 of 29 (5,683 Views)
Scholar

So you experienced this problem ordering an iPad from AT&T and you still ordered an iPhone (online or over the phone) instead of walking into an AT&T or Apple store and purchasing one?  That seems kinda silly... and a little guillable to me.

I also find it odd that FedEx stole your devices... that's pretty strong words to use unless you have some proof.

Message 26 of 29 (5,665 Views)
Guru

Ryan_ATL wrote:

I also find it odd that FedEx stole your devices... that's pretty strong words to use unless you have some proof.

Granted OP hasn't provided any additional information to back up his accusation but...why would you necessarily find it odd that FedEx stole OP's devices?  I mean, you clearly must have your head in the sand to think that theft doesn't occur within companies to say that you would find it odd that something like that could ever at FedEx.

Message 27 of 29 (5,615 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

[ Edited ]

The point I was making is that likely FedEx simply "mis-placed" or lost the device.  Stole implies and individual took the device.  A company does not steal a device... individuals do.

The OP is accusing a company of stealing their iPhone without any facts to back that up.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

A simple statement of "FedEx lost my iPhone" would be a lot more believable.

Message 28 of 29 (5,607 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:

Have had that happen also - but the caveat there is Amazon plugged the cost of the replacement devices onto your payment method - if the missing ones did not turn up after a set period of time you would have been charged for the cost of the replacement items - all in the fine print.

That is not my experience.  I've had things go missing that were in theory delivered to me.  Contacted Amazon, and they shipped a replacement out, nothing but apologies.  On at least one instance the original shipment did finally get to me, and Amazon told me to just keep it in compensation for the snafu, though generally they've asked me to ship the extra back.  But on the times that the original shipment hasn't shown up I've never been charged for the extra, nor has the fine print I've been sent indicated it would.

Now returns/exchanges are a different animal.  I've exchanged things several times, and those do indeed come with (not so) fine print stating that if they don't receive the original shipment back within x period of time that you'll get charged for the replacement. But I've never seen that on a package that never arrived.  And I'd certainly file a dispute with my bank if I did.

Message 29 of 29 (5,595 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.