Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 1, 2010
11:50:48 AM
ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement
Edited by jinxedup on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:54:45 AM

I received my replacement phone, transferred my contents over to the new phone, put my old phone in the supplied envelop, put the envelop in the original cardboard box, affixed the RMA label over the old label and dropped it in the outgoing mailbox in my neighborhood as instructed. I guess our post office doesn’t scan labels so I am unable to track the shipment and it allegedly hasn’t been received 2 weeks later. I called into the call center and they told me initially that it may have been stolen from my mailbox and hence I am liable. I corrected her opinion in that the box was dropped into a blue USPS mailbox. She then said that since I dropped it into a mailbox as opposed to taking it to a post-office and  getting it scanned and asking for and paying for delivery confirmation (which I wouldn’t have minded if I knew what kind of trouble I would be in if I didn’t do that) they had no proof and I would be charged $450 for a replacement phone regardless. I see that a lot of people are / have been in the same predicament without much success. Is there a logical way to resolve this situation? Also I am a 9+ year veteran ATT customer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also for ATT, I would recommend that the process be changed where the customer is made aware of the risk and is given the choice to pay the differential to opt to return the device through a more reliable carrier (FedEx / UPS) that scans each package? This may lead to a reduction / elimination in frustrated honest customers.

I received my replacement phone, transferred my contents over to the new phone, put my old phone in the supplied envelop, put the envelop in the original cardboard box, affixed the RMA label over the old label and dropped it in the outgoing mailbox in my neighborhood as instructed. I guess our post office doesn’t scan labels so I am unable to track the shipment and it allegedly hasn’t been received 2 weeks later. I called into the call center and they told me initially that it may have been stolen from my mailbox and hence I am liable. I corrected her opinion in that the box was dropped into a blue USPS mailbox. She then said that since I dropped it into a mailbox as opposed to taking it to a post-office and  getting it scanned and asking for and paying for delivery confirmation (which I wouldn’t have minded if I knew what kind of trouble I would be in if I didn’t do that) they had no proof and I would be charged $450 for a replacement phone regardless. I see that a lot of people are / have been in the same predicament without much success. Is there a logical way to resolve this situation? Also I am a 9+ year veteran ATT customer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Also for ATT, I would recommend that the process be changed where the customer is made aware of the risk and is given the choice to pay the differential to opt to return the device through a more reliable carrier (FedEx / UPS) that scans each package? This may lead to a reduction / elimination in frustrated honest customers.

ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement

[ Edited ]
41 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(41)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 6:24:44 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jinxedup on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:26:02 PM

I am surprised at the number (Let me not say Frequency lest I trouble a statistical bot who did claim that we are a very small percentage and as such not a corporate concern) of people with the same story. This is probably my last update on this chain so I am going to summarize

1) Mailed replacement phone on 11/18/2010
2) Contacted ATT on a bi-weekly basis from Dec 2010 through the beginning of Feb

3) Postal service confirmed that my phone was sent but unable to track it because the tracking number used on the package is meaningless to USPS

4) ATT promises me that if I did actually mail the phone there is no liability on my part. ATT charges me ~$450 for a refurb 9700 without a battery or back cover within the same billing cycle

5) ATT is convinced (I could hear the agent talk to her sup who barely spoke English) that I did actually mailed my phone but says "Sorry can't help you I am unable to issue a manual credit". Our systems suck your problem

6) No update ATT refuses to credit me the $450

I am surprised at the number (Let me not say Frequency lest I trouble a statistical bot who did claim that we are a very small percentage and as such not a corporate concern) of people with the same story. This is probably my last update on this chain so I am going to summarize

1) Mailed replacement phone on 11/18/2010
2) Contacted ATT on a bi-weekly basis from Dec 2010 through the beginning of Feb

3) Postal service confirmed that my phone was sent but unable to track it because the tracking number used on the package is meaningless to USPS

4) ATT promises me that if I did actually mail the phone there is no liability on my part. ATT charges me ~$450 for a refurb 9700 without a battery or back cover within the same billing cycle

5) ATT is convinced (I could hear the agent talk to her sup who barely spoke English) that I did actually mailed my phone but says "Sorry can't help you I am unable to issue a manual credit". Our systems suck your problem

6) No update ATT refuses to credit me the $450

Re: ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement

[ Edited ]
31 of 42 (2,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 6:48:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

i think, you better to get in touch AT&T thru BBB.ORG (Best Business Bureau)

i think, you better to get in touch AT&T thru BBB.ORG (Best Business Bureau)

Re: ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement

32 of 42 (2,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 5:35:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem. I dropped off a iPAD return at the USPS post office. I saved a copy of the return label. It's been 4 months and the return still hasn't been received. The whole problem started because AT&T failed to properly package my iPAD with an ipad charger, I got an iphone charger instead. Their solution was too ship a whole new iPAD rather than just the charger. I subsequently packaged the replacement iPAD andI followed AT&T's return instructions as described and dropped the return off at the post office. I kept tracking proof. Unfortunately, the package doesn't show up in any system (Newgistics and USPS). I filed a BBB complaint and spoke to Gina Cain. She was extremely rude and didn't address my complaint. She simply kept stating "No credits will be issued to the account." I don't know what else to do.

I have the same problem. I dropped off a iPAD return at the USPS post office. I saved a copy of the return label. It's been 4 months and the return still hasn't been received. The whole problem started because AT&T failed to properly package my iPAD with an ipad charger, I got an iphone charger instead. Their solution was too ship a whole new iPAD rather than just the charger. I subsequently packaged the replacement iPAD andI followed AT&T's return instructions as described and dropped the return off at the post office. I kept tracking proof. Unfortunately, the package doesn't show up in any system (Newgistics and USPS). I filed a BBB complaint and spoke to Gina Cain. She was extremely rude and didn't address my complaint. She simply kept stating "No credits will be issued to the account." I don't know what else to do.

33 of 42 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 7:21:18 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hi Croat30, 

Will you please send me a private message with your name/email address, account information, phone number and the best time to contact you? I'll have someone contact you to figure out what's going on. 

Thanks

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hi Croat30, 

Will you please send me a private message with your name/email address, account information, phone number and the best time to contact you? I'll have someone contact you to figure out what's going on. 

Thanks

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

34 of 42 (1,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2011 1:10:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

To follow-up, I appreciated AT&T prompt response on the message board. They ended up forwarding all the information back to the same person at the President's Office who gave me the same response. Nothing new came out of this posting or the Direct Message.

To follow-up, I appreciated AT&T prompt response on the message board. They ended up forwarding all the information back to the same person at the President's Office who gave me the same response. Nothing new came out of this posting or the Direct Message.

35 of 42 (1,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 7:34:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Add me to the list of customers who are trying to return a phone using using AT&T's 3rd party vendor Newgistics.  The replacement phone was shipped from AT&T via FedEx.  While this option costs more it also comes with a tracking number that AT&T could use to track the package.  On the return side the label provided by AT&T had was I thought was a tracking number but in fact it is more of a delivery number.  I can go to a website, www.tracking.smartlabel.com, and enter the "tracking number" but until the package is delivered to Newgistics (the reason I call this number a delivery number) it will not show up on this website.  So there is no way to track the return until Newgistics receives it and enters the tracking number into their system.  I am only 5 or 6 days into this Black hole" of this return process.

My suggestion for process improvement is for AT&T to step up and provide a legitimate tracking number (meaning shipping via FedEx, UPS, USPS - picked these 3 as they seem to be be the most logical) so that the return can be tracked throughout the return shipping process not just when it hopefully gets to the final destination (and the vendor has to input the tracking number into their system).  If I had known at the time that the "tracking Number" provided was actually a tracking number I would have gladly paid USPS an additional fee to get a USPS tracking number on the package so that I could truely track the package. 

I will update my post as this process unfolds.

Add me to the list of customers who are trying to return a phone using using AT&T's 3rd party vendor Newgistics.  The replacement phone was shipped from AT&T via FedEx.  While this option costs more it also comes with a tracking number that AT&T could use to track the package.  On the return side the label provided by AT&T had was I thought was a tracking number but in fact it is more of a delivery number.  I can go to a website, www.tracking.smartlabel.com, and enter the "tracking number" but until the package is delivered to Newgistics (the reason I call this number a delivery number) it will not show up on this website.  So there is no way to track the return until Newgistics receives it and enters the tracking number into their system.  I am only 5 or 6 days into this Black hole" of this return process.

My suggestion for process improvement is for AT&T to step up and provide a legitimate tracking number (meaning shipping via FedEx, UPS, USPS - picked these 3 as they seem to be be the most logical) so that the return can be tracked throughout the return shipping process not just when it hopefully gets to the final destination (and the vendor has to input the tracking number into their system).  If I had known at the time that the "tracking Number" provided was actually a tracking number I would have gladly paid USPS an additional fee to get a USPS tracking number on the package so that I could truely track the package. 

I will update my post as this process unfolds.

36 of 42 (1,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 7:53:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I did hand my return to a USPS employee (over the counter in their building).  But from what I just read if I had purchased their Delivery Confirmation service that could have caused problems with the original mailing label generated by AT&T.  So we are back to the same issue.  Until the package arrives at the 3rd party vendor location, in my case Newgistics, and they enter/scan the tracking number then I have no way of knowing if the package ever left the post office, it was lost in transit, or something happened at Newgistics.  Does anybody at AT&T see what is wrong with that scenario?

The obvious solution would be for AT&T to work out a deal with FedEX, UPS or USPS to handle all returns for a set fee.  AT&T could pass this return shipping cost to the phone manufacturer.  Other retailer/vendor relationships are handled this way.  Makes for a much happier customer base. 

I did hand my return to a USPS employee (over the counter in their building).  But from what I just read if I had purchased their Delivery Confirmation service that could have caused problems with the original mailing label generated by AT&T.  So we are back to the same issue.  Until the package arrives at the 3rd party vendor location, in my case Newgistics, and they enter/scan the tracking number then I have no way of knowing if the package ever left the post office, it was lost in transit, or something happened at Newgistics.  Does anybody at AT&T see what is wrong with that scenario?

The obvious solution would be for AT&T to work out a deal with FedEX, UPS or USPS to handle all returns for a set fee.  AT&T could pass this return shipping cost to the phone manufacturer.  Other retailer/vendor relationships are handled this way.  Makes for a much happier customer base. 

37 of 42 (1,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 2:01:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

Very surprisingly, actually shockingly, AT&T contacted me this week and offered a resolution that I considered to be appropriate and fair.

The 6 month saga has come to an end. I'm grateful to many of the customer service representatives who responded to my issue. While I have lost a significant amount of time, I'm glad it has been resolved. I encourage anyone who finds themselves in a similar position to remain persistent and to pursue alternative avenues if the initial AT&T resolution is not satisfactory. 

Very surprisingly, actually shockingly, AT&T contacted me this week and offered a resolution that I considered to be appropriate and fair.

The 6 month saga has come to an end. I'm grateful to many of the customer service representatives who responded to my issue. While I have lost a significant amount of time, I'm glad it has been resolved. I encourage anyone who finds themselves in a similar position to remain persistent and to pursue alternative avenues if the initial AT&T resolution is not satisfactory. 

38 of 42 (1,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 5:38:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Croat30,

If you don't mind sharing what was the resolution you got from AT&T?

Croat30,

If you don't mind sharing what was the resolution you got from AT&T?

39 of 42 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 8:19:15 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have the same issue with ATT return label shipping.

I ordered a HTC phone and got a return label to return it on on sep 9 2011. I dropped the package the same day at a USPS facility and to date ATT says they have not recieved the phone yet. when i track the package on USPS it says the item was picked up by a shipping agent but smartlabel still says not recieved

Whats even worse is i have ordered a replacement phone on the same day sep 9th 2011 for which i got an email after a week saying the replacement was on backorder and eventually after 30 days my order got cancelled. No one even intimated me that the order was cancelled.

So all these days i have been using some phone that i have essentially paying ATT for phone that i dont even have.

When i called the ATT rep opened a case and told they will investigate into it..Clearly ATT has a problem with their shipping company.

I have the same issue with ATT return label shipping.

I ordered a HTC phone and got a return label to return it on on sep 9 2011. I dropped the package the same day at a USPS facility and to date ATT says they have not recieved the phone yet. when i track the package on USPS it says the item was picked up by a shipping agent but smartlabel still says not recieved

Whats even worse is i have ordered a replacement phone on the same day sep 9th 2011 for which i got an email after a week saying the replacement was on backorder and eventually after 30 days my order got cancelled. No one even intimated me that the order was cancelled.

So all these days i have been using some phone that i have essentially paying ATT for phone that i dont even have.

When i called the ATT rep opened a case and told they will investigate into it..Clearly ATT has a problem with their shipping company.

40 of 42 (1,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 11:30:38 AM
(0)
Contributor
@dsrb4u

I'm on similar boat, although mine has only been 2 weeks. ATT sent me the refurbished handset on 11/18/2011. Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I did not receive it until 11/28/2011. I sent it out on 11/30/2011, and I've received emails and 2 phone calls about returning my device. I hope it eventually gets there, if not it's going to be a long battle.
@dsrb4u

I'm on similar boat, although mine has only been 2 weeks. ATT sent me the refurbished handset on 11/18/2011. Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, I did not receive it until 11/28/2011. I sent it out on 11/30/2011, and I've received emails and 2 phone calls about returning my device. I hope it eventually gets there, if not it's going to be a long battle.

41 of 42 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 10:37:39 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Creating new post as existing thread is old.
--------------

42 of 42 (1,404 Views)