Helpful Links

ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement

Teacher

Re: ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement

Update on my case:

I called in to ask if I would be billed the retail price for  the two phones that I've sent back and the reps told me that they wouldn't since they've credited me the amount I paid for the phones (with a 2 year contract). At this point in time, I don't even care about them not receiving it because they told me directly that I wouldn't be billed for it because I've called in quiet a few times and they are just going to assume that it's been lost in transit. All I care about is that I won't be being billed $1000 for two blackberry torches. So I guess this is where my story ends.

Message 16 of 42
Teacher

Re: ATT replacement phone (RMA) Lost in the Mail and suggestion for process improvement

I'm facing the same issue right now. I requested RMA back in 11/17. The first phone they sent me was defectived and finally received a 2nd phone. I sent both phones back through USPS blue box and ATT is claiming they have not received either of them. Now they are charging me 350$ on my bill for the phones that I have sent back since the end of November. Now it's Jan 22nd and the smartlabel website just shows the status as unknown. I called ATT and they claim that they used every possible method to track and can not find it and advise to check with USPS.

Now, they are holding me responsbile for the charges for something I don't even have.

Message 17 of 42
Master

mario44222 wrote:

Now, they are holding me responsbile for the charges for something I don't even have.

You can still dispute it via Arbitration.  It doesn't cost you anything.

How to Commence an Arbitration Under AT&T's Current Arbitration Provision
What Is Arbitration?
What if I am not satisfied with the resolution AT&T offers me for a problem I am experiencing?
Arbitration Agreement: (1) AT&T and you agree to arbitrate all disputes and claims between us.
Where can I download a copy of a Notice Form and an Arbitration Initiation Form?
Where can I download a copy of a Notice Form and an Arbitration Initiation Form?
Message 18 of 42

The tone of this reply message is not customer service style friendly or in anyway of help here. Can any employee with free time on their hands post away?  You cannot be doing it in this manner with AT&T's blessing and pride behind ya.  Stop it.

I am an AT&T customer the EXACT "rare" situation as this customer and found multiples of posts from others in this "rare" items-lost group, in a simple web search.  To claim it rarely occurs is either ignorance to the fact that it's happening to many, playing the "company man" by trying to make AT&T have no fault in this, or to just make it seem as if this poster is unique so he/she MUST have done something wrong so they're flawed. 

Please search the web for smartlabel and see what I am talking about as far as issues and frequency of similar, eerily similar, situations.  THEN apologize to the person you replied to for that whole thing, for the insinuation that the mailbox was in someway unwise, (so dumb on their part,) and for redirecting your reply's focus away from the true issue and instead making the importance of AT&T customers using the required smartlabels vital knowledge and the help and response we were hoping for from AT&T with this.  Your "smartlabel's are SMART" message has incorrect inaccurate information, was useless to what matters to the poster and borderline insulting. 

Replying you were sorry this is happening to a valued customer, (not because of his/her”unfortunate" misinformation and the possible spread of that but because it HAPPENED and AT&T VALUES the loyalty and wants it to continue.  Dig deeper, empathize/sympathize/help or refrain from replying as a representative of the company.  We heard; AT&T loves this smartlabel service and you are sorry about the wrong information written before you jumped in.   (that stated no inaccurate facts btw)  Useless!

I am comforted in knowing that although you are "an AT&T employee" your "postings on this site are your own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions".  

No representative reply at all is better than a lame one.  Have a customer service rep, a trained, experienced one, address this, please. Yours offerned no help of solution and only acheived me having to type that to you.  Stop, let that be the last, maybe only, like it.  Please

Message 19 of 42
Master

Your summation of the tone of the reply is your opinion, and as I've said before an opinion & 75 cents will buy you a soda.  AT&T employees who are here are doing so on their own time.  They are required to have "I am an AT&T employee" signatures below their replies so everyone knows they are employees of the company, and that their postings are their own opinions and not something coming from an official company mouthpiece.  The only AT&T employees here in any official capacity are the Moderators, who are here to enforce the guidelines and keep the peace.  If you don't like what someone is saying and it doesn't violate the forum guidelines, well that's just tough.

AT&T has 90+ million customers.  If 1/2 of 1% have to use warranty replacement a year, that's 450K customers.  If 1/2 of 1% have their phones lost in the mail, that's ~2250 phones lost.  I'm sure more than a few of those people turn to the Internet to help publicize their complaints.

So again, nobody here needs the lecture.  If you don't like the way someone responds, well, you can [please be courteous].  So long as it conforms to the guidelines here, it's an acceptable response.

By the way, I am not now nor have I ever been an AT&T employee.

dinahtalks wrote:

The tone of this reply message is not customer service style friendly or in anyway of help here. Can any employee with free time on their hands post away?  You cannot be doing it in this manner with AT&T's blessing and pride behind ya.  Stop it.

I am an AT&T customer the EXACT "rare" situation as this customer and found multiples of posts from others in this "rare" items-lost group, in a simple web search.  To claim it rarely occurs is either ignorance to the fact that it's happening to many, playing the "company man" by trying to make AT&T have no fault in this, or to just make it seem as if this poster is unique so he/she MUST have done something wrong so they're flawed. 

Please search the web for smartlabel and see what I am talking about as far as issues and frequency of similar, eerily similar, situations.  THEN apologize to the person you replied to for that whole thing, for the insinuation that the mailbox was in someway unwise, (so dumb on their part,) and for redirecting your reply's focus away from the true issue and instead making the importance of AT&T customers using the required smartlabels vital knowledge and the help and response we were hoping for from AT&T with this.  Your "smartlabel's are SMART" message has incorrect inaccurate information, was useless to what matters to the poster and borderline insulting. 

Replying you were sorry this is happening to a valued customer, (not because of his/her”unfortunate" misinformation and the possible spread of that but because it HAPPENED and AT&T VALUES the loyalty and wants it to continue.  Dig deeper, empathize/sympathize/help or refrain from replying as a representative of the company.  We heard; AT&T loves this smartlabel service and you are sorry about the wrong information written before you jumped in.   (that stated no inaccurate facts btw)  Useless!

I am comforted in knowing that although you are "an AT&T employee" your "postings on this site are your own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions".  

No representative reply at all is better than a lame one.  Have a customer service rep, a trained, experienced one, address this, please. Yours offerned no help of solution and only acheived me having to type that to you.  Stop, let that be the last, maybe only, like it.  Please

Message 20 of 42

OK I was over the top harsh but the reply I addressed had inaccuracies and left the poster, the others within that thread sharing the issue and me with a lesson on mail and no glimpse of acknowlegement that this is really occuring.  We shipped via the method of AT&Ts choice and are left with no proof of that and a looming $450 penalty.  How to solve this, i.e. what will AT&T do to rectify and assure us no charges, something along those lines, would be a helpful post. 

Percentage wise I believe more phones do return to AT&T ontime than have this issue.  That's nice but if the doctor tells me I have a rare cancer, that does not make it better, not in the slightest.  It IS happening and if rare than the gesture of AT&T doing the right thing and assuring loyal customers they'll eat the charges if the phone never shows wouldn't cost all that much.  Rare makes it more reason to handle it correctly, as it is cheaper. 

I handed mine boxed and labeled per all instructioms to the postman behind the counter with a Netflix DVD.  The DVD was reciceved by Netflix the next day, they email me upon reciept.  The phone should have been handled just as smoothly, USPS is great.  It is the smartlabels that is the common thread with all the complaints I found Amazon, AT&T, multiple others.  We need to know AT&T is looking into that and not blaming us or lecturing us as to why the labels are so vital.  The label did no good and robbed us of real proof like other mail methods we could have chosen.  I asked to bring mine to an AT&T store to return it and was told "no."  AT&T chose how it went on it's journey, insisted on that part, so is ultimately the one to bear the burden of any not returning via that method.  

I believe they will. (hope) The phone customer service people have been great and apologetic with no threats I'll be charged thus far and no questioning the possibilty that I have any fault in the issue.  This is as it should be, no real answers yet but they are trying and they understand.

My "lecture" may be only my opinion, who knows.  That sort of post will not be something occuring again as you make it clear to keep quiet regardless, with the volunteers.  I didn't call her names just shared my opinion that her post made me less sure AT&T will help us with this.  Sorry, that is valid.  Not here to hurt anyone just read what others are going through and maybe see an AT&T response pop in that tells us they are on it.

Done now!  A warning from a moderator with my first post isn't the best way to find help I suppose...  

I'll play nicer.  Thank you 

Message 21 of 42
Tutor

That was quite a rebuke I must say. However let me go and give my promised update.  

Update. ATT did not call me back as promised. To quote the rep "I will take responsibility and “personally” call you back after 10 days. Please do not call before 8 days". I was told that this may have to do with how employees are tracked for resolving customer's problems. Given that all of my follow-up calls in about 10-15 day increments, my problem may have been "solved with one call" five or 6 times already.

Regardless as promised I will have to find 45 minutes in the middle of my work day to make the call and then post an update here.  

Message 22 of 42

I was promised this 'call back' today when speaking with Warranty.  I don't remember if a week or 10 days but she made no request to not dial earlier.  I had them notate and make 100% clear that there will be no charge to me, am just waiting for news if it’s showed up.  I’ve had 3 calls and I made each promise no charge.  They get it and say they understand, apologize for it all and make no indication any charge, I’ve brought it up with my “no charge”.  I cover all bases and leave them no options and it is all super friendly.  When you leave no room for excuses in your initial telling of the events, it leaves them nowhere else to go but to agree. 

Your first contact that claimed not handing it to the post office leaves you responsible to pay, so did the reply I first responded to.  No!  That directly contradicts the return package directions that include mail box drop off.   

AT&T demands it ship this way thus responsibility for what happens within that part of the process is on them from the moment you put it in the mailbox.  That was your last instruction and you responsibly accommodated as they asked.  You are done and fulfilled the deal.  Only it showing up damaged by you can you be held responsible to pay.

These packages are tracked via USPS if you have the correct tracking number.  I do not but do not need it.  My job was done at the post office.  It matters only to them as it is now in their hands to deal with.  Just know claiming it cannot be done is incorrect.  The tracking.smartlabel.com website claims they track these through USPS.  Do not argue it though, it has no bearing.  You put it in the box and are DONE!  That is what they asked and where it ends on all official AT&T documentation.

Go higher up.  Start fresh with what happened and be firm.  Thus far the only arguments they gave you, from what I read, are easily proven invalid on their own site.  Get the right person and tell them what needs to happen.   You are not wrong, know it and show them you do.

Good luck!

Message 23 of 42
Tutor

I need to keep in mind (much like the moderator said) that I am but a statistic. A fraction of a percentage of people who have issues, which in the large scheme of things doesn’t really make a difference to a large corporation (unless my interpretation of the moderator’s comments is incorrect). What happened to customer service? I guess (based on the comment) it got eaten up by statistics.

Thank you so much for your note. However I tried everything with ATT and they told me that there is nothing they could do. Either way I was told If they don’t scan the phone it is not market as received and it is my fault. I have to pay $425 for a refurbished Blackberry Bold 9700. They said they will not accept the returned (my current) phone back either because their process doesn’t allow that. They said I have no choice but to charge me the fee. She actually said that there was no way for her to issue a credit manually (I do know that this is not true). She said the only way a credit would appear was if ATT happened to scan the returned device in.

She said that the $425 for the refurb device was a non returned fee (to contrast it from the actual cost of a refurb device which is much cheaper).

Next step Arbitration and BBB?

Message 24 of 42
Teacher

" She actually said that there was no way for her to issue a credit manually (I do know that this is not true)."

You are right. After calling ATT numerous times about the same issue, they made a conclusion that I did send the phone back. (I guess all the calls I made annoyed them) It just hasn't been scanned in yet. A rep manually gave me credit for both phones that I've sent back to them. Which is why I'm not being billed for the retail price for both phones. I guess it just takes a lot of phone calls and getting in touch with the right people.

Message 25 of 42
Scholar

Getting in touch with the right people always helps. But what the { word filter evasion }  are they doing charging people $425.for a REFURBISHED PHONE? Theyre $125 through warranty. I think the refurbs are FREE w/ new contract/renewal! Thats just greed.

Message 26 of 42
Teacher

I checked Smart Label today and to my surprise there were some information along with my tracking number!

1/31/2011
Arrived at Shipping FacilityNV 89441

It took nearly 2 months for this phone to be scanned in their warehouse.

Message 27 of 42
Master

What AT&T charges people, even for the refurbs, is NOT the retail price of the phone.  Add $200-$400 to the discount price, and you arrive at an idea of what the retail price is.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

Getting in touch with the right people always helps. But what the { word filter evasion }  are they doing charging people $425.for a REFURBISHED PHONE? Theyre $125 through warranty. I think the refurbs are FREE w/ new contract/renewal! Thats just greed.

Message 28 of 42

they finally scanned then recieved my phone. 

For anyone who is still having issues though, this article may be helpful.  It is basically what I was already saying as far as how to deal with customer service, but maybe more clearly.  http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/111981/how-to-fight-bad-customer-servicehttp://finance....

Good Luck!! 

Message 29 of 42
Contributor

I dropped my return phone at post office on Feb02, 2011 with smart label attached. Same day post office has scanned it and updated as "Picked Up by Shipping Agent, February 02, 2011, 1:34 pm". After that USPS is not responsible. When I track with smart label tracking it says "Not Received" even after 3 weeks. I called customer reps many time they told me to wait. How long should I wait. Now they are telling me to pay "$500" full price of the phone. I am really upset with ATT. I am thinking of spreading this fraud in Twitter. Many companies taking serious when it is getting circulated in Twitter. What do you guys think?

Message 30 of 42
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support