Posted Jun 13, 2010
9:10:14 AM
View profile
ATT needs to bring back unlimited data for smartphones

I've chosen to get a blackberry before switching to the Iphone 4. I would like to have unlimited data before I switch to the Iphone. Is there any way we can get the unlimited data for smartphones back?

50 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(50)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 5:49:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Someone can either read and believe what is said about Verizon in an AT&T forum or do a google search or just check with Verizon. If you want to believe it is capped at 5gB then nothing I say is going to change your mind, maybe this will:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/11/18/technology/verizon_data_caps/index.htm

Re: ATT needs to bring back unlimited data for smartphones

31 of 51 (1,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 4:44:06 PM
(0)
Master

Or you could read their TOS, as wingrider01 did when he posted this:

From Verizons tos

=================

Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levelsAnyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

32 of 51 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2010 9:18:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

Did you copy that from the broadband plan? I just picked up four phones from the Verizon site, checked the ToS on the web page for smartphones and that text isn't in there.

http://support.vzw.com/terms/products/vz_email.html

Even at 5gB (and I still say it is unlimited), I'm getting a smartphone for $30 per line where AT&T has me paying $25+$10 for 2gB. Whatever works best for you is great. As much as I'd like to continue with AT&T capping at 2gB just isn't working for me.

33 of 51 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 7:34:03 AM
(0)
Expert

mgerbasio wrote:

Did you copy that from the broadband plan? I just picked up four phones from the Verizon site, checked the ToS on the web page for smartphones and that text isn't in there.

http://support.vzw.com/terms/products/vz_email.html

Even at 5gB (and I still say it is unlimited), I'm getting a smartphone for $30 per line where AT&T has me paying $25+$10 for 2gB. Whatever works best for you is great. As much as I'd like to continue with AT&T capping at 2gB just isn't working for me.

Beleive what you want, have had business associates get their kids smartphones softcapped for abusing the policy on verizon

34 of 51 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 2:43:43 AM
(0)
Teacher
Just switch to Verizon How often to you surf the web and are on the phone at the same time last month. It's worth the switch for unlimited data So you pay an early termination fee It'll be worth it and still have an iPhone
Thank You Verizon love data that's what it's all about !!!

35 of 51 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 3:33:00 AM
(0)
Expert

Foxjohn wrote:
Just switch to Verizon How often to you surf the web and are on the phone at the same time last month. It's worth the switch for unlimited data So you pay an early termination fee It'll be worth it and still have an iPhone
Thank You Verizon love data that's what it's all about !!!

Glad you are happy with verizon's data plans - might wnat to post over in their forums since you are a customer to let them know how happy you are.

36 of 51 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 6:51:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

I use Slingbox, Netflix, Tv.com, aol radio, etc. 2gb a month ATT a joke 

Thank You Verizon

37 of 51 (605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2011 7:09:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Foxjohn wrote:

I use Slingbox, Netflix, Tv.com, aol radio, etc. 2gb a month ATT a joke 

Thank You Verizon

Well, obviously, you must have been one of the people out of 2 percent of AT&T's customers who have data plans that use more than 2GB of data a month. The other 98 percent uses less than 2GB monthly. So, in my point of view, switching to Verizon was a good value for you.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

38 of 51 (603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 8:17:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I think that people should have the option to pick whether they should have Unlimited Data or 2gb.

39 of 51 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 3:39:24 AM
(0)
Expert

jcordoba2003 wrote:

I think that people should have the option to pick whether they should have Unlimited Data or 2gb.

ATT does not offer the unlimited plan anymore, so your choice is between 200MB and 2GB (4GB with tethering)

40 of 51 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 3:47:51 AM
(0)
Teacher

Check out calculator more members need to call Att and complain This is an outrage. If you stream just 2hrs a day of music on Att you would use 1.72gb I love music. Thats not to mention emails,web pages viewed, and a occasional movie once in a while. Your right Att members with smartphones should have a choice, Oh you Pay!!! 2gib-25.00,3gb-35.00,4gb-45.00, Att you are not consumer friendly just greedy!

http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

41 of 51 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 7:32:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Personally I think it's crap that every other carrier is doing unlimited plans but not AT&T. I bought an iPhone in November of last year and was able to add the unlimited data plan to it because after I called customer support and threatned to cancel they gave it to me. 3 weeks ago I bought my girlfriend one and was told there was no way to add it. This came after the guy told me I could. After complaining for several hours AT&T called me back the next day and offered 6 months free texting. They also offered 100 free rollover minutes. As far as the jump from 2GB to 4GB it looks like that is only on the tethering plans and not the regular DataPro 2GB plan which is also crap. With Skype out that works over 3G I think they should be able to offer customers more data. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint do unlimited now. I also see why AT&T is rated last in customer service.

42 of 51 (939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 2:09:30 AM
(0)
Employee

why not go to Verizon then? You'll still have the option of having the iPhone and unlimited data. Best of both worlds, right?

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

43 of 51 (898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2011 11:13:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

I had the unlimited data plan for two years and never went over 700MB.  I recently changed it and have been enjoying the $5 in savings.

Unlimited Data x 3 months = $90

(2GB x 2 months) + (3GB x 1 month) = $85

If you are using over 2GB of data on your phone, please please please go to Verizon.  I would love improved data speeds.

44 of 51 (814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 10:13:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have been an AT&T client for quite some time. I just upgraded to a smartphone not to long ago and 2G doesn't cut it for me.  I have a great phone with a whole lot of cool features but can only use it for about half of the month!! This is because I have a family plan and the cost is way too expensive if I exceed the 2G.  Before I got the smartphone, I had a regular texting phone with unlimited internet access and it was soo cool to be able to see videos on youtube, search in the web...and so on and I thought that with this new phone I would really have fun, but I feel like a child with a new toy and cheap batteries in it.  Besides this, most of my co-workers have unlimited internet on their phones from other providers and are always showing me all the features on their phones and I don't even take mine out, so that I won't exceed my internet limit. This should go back to those good ol' days when we could have UNLIMITED DATA.

45 of 51 (518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 4:45:36 AM
(0)
Expert

ootero01 wrote:

I have been an AT&T client for quite some time. I just upgraded to a smartphone not to long ago and 2G doesn't cut it for me.  I have a great phone with a whole lot of cool features but can only use it for about half of the month!! This is because I have a family plan and the cost is way too expensive if I exceed the 2G.  Before I got the smartphone, I had a regular texting phone with unlimited internet access and it was soo cool to be able to see videos on youtube, search in the web...and so on and I thought that with this new phone I would really have fun, but I feel like a child with a new toy and cheap batteries in it.  Besides this, most of my co-workers have unlimited internet on their phones from other providers and are always showing me all the features on their phones and I don't even take mine out, so that I won't exceed my internet limit. This should go back to those good ol' days when we could have UNLIMITED DATA.

Not going to happen at all, duggest that you etf out and go to the fianl remaining higher tier carrier while they still have the unlimited out. Starting 10/01 ATT will join in the other carriers and throttle the abusive users of the grandfathered unlimited plan users. The unlimited trough is drying up quickly

46 of 51 (503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 1:07:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

I agree! (for some reason I can not give kudos) I too have been with them since they were cingular and will be changing providers for this reason.

47 of 51 (325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 1:58:11 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 25, 2012 at 2:02:01 PM

let's re-read this sentence from a previous post...it's from one AT&T customer to another...

"If you are using over 2GB of data on your phone, please please please go to Verizon.  I would love improved data speeds."

just think about it for a moment, it'll come to you :smileywink:

[ Edited ]
48 of 51 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 2:42:46 PM
(0)
Expert

bethhetc wrote:

I agree! (for some reason I can not give kudos) I too have been with them since they were cingular and will be changing providers for this reason.

hope you like sprint, they are the only company inthe top 3 that still offer "unlimited dta" at least for now, if you want to drop down to a lower tier company, t-mobile has unlimited everything, although the fine print show at what amount of data usage you will be throttled. Verizon only has tiered now and their prices are higher then ATT's

Face it unlimit data is going the way of the DoDO

49 of 51 (315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 3:08:58 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by augidog on Jan 25, 2012 at 3:20:24 PM

if the only "limit" on an "unlimited" data plan is throttling after an agreed-upon cap, then i could feel comfortable buying a proper-size plan without having potential overages taking all the pleasure out of the service & more money out of my pocket.

as it is, right now i'm expected to do the technical work & calculating for myself, with the COMPLETELY LOUSY tools provided by AT&T...and any mistakes i make, over or under, will always go in AT&T's favor.

to you all who are grandfathered in...trust me, unless you have deep pockets, you DO NOT want these new plans no matter how upset you might be.

[ Edited ]
50 of 51 (313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 3:44:58 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

51 of 51 (315 Views)