Helpful Links

ATT needs to Rethink Possible

Contributor

ATT needs to Rethink Possible

So, I am upgrading my smartphone.  I have had a smartphone for a year and a half with no data plan.  Been working great.  Now, if I upgrade, I am going to have to pay for something I simply will turn completely off and not use.  I will only connect wirelessly.  It's a shame.  I am already paying ATT $1,800 a year for phone service and they are going to stick me with more charges.

ATT is about to lose a flood of business to Verizon, ATT needs to Rethink Possible where their data plans are concerned.

I work in technology, so, I don't want to hear the hogwash ATT spews out about the devices needing to update and such.  Don't need a data plan in a wireless environment to update a device.  Bad business ATT.

Not that they are listening.

Message 1 of 23
Professor

Re: ATT needs to Rethink Possible

wingrider01 wrote:

No idea, corporate policy, all the major companies do it - ATT happened to be the last company to jump on that bandwagon - so there has to be a logical reason outside of the normal att haters replies of ATT is nickel and diming us to death.

Me I am a business owner, so I tend to compare the business side of it, seems like a good business decision to prevent calls of complaints incase there is cellular data charges - which add up fast to a huge amount

LOL. 12 x 15 = $180 per year. That's a lot of nickels and dimes. So what you say is the carriers are forcing the data plan as insurance? One has to carry auto insurance just in case they have an auto accident. The carriers force you to have a data plan just in case you accidentally use data. That is some pretty steep insurance. I bet the carriers just love collecting those nickels and dimes. That's the logical part. LOL Here is a nifty idea, how about you make those people that use data pay for the data, instead of making those that don't use it pay for it. Hmmm. Maybe that is just to logical for some people. LOL The sad part is I don't see where the complaints have stopped. I still see a lot of posts about phantom data usage and overages because of it.

Message 16 of 23
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

No idea, corporate policy, all the major companies do it - ATT happened to be the last company to jump on that bandwagon - so there has to be a logical reason outside of the normal att haters replies of ATT is nickel and diming us to death.

Me I am a business owner, so I tend to compare the business side of it, seems like a good business decision to prevent calls of complaints incase there is cellular data charges - which add up fast to a huge amount

LOL. 12 x 15 = $180 per year. That's a lot of nickels and dimes. So what you say is the carriers are forcing the data plan as insurance? One has to carry auto insurance just in case they have an auto accident. The carriers force you to have a data plan just in case you accidentally use data. That is some pretty steep insurance. I bet the carriers just love collecting those nickels and dimes. That's the logical part. LOL Here is a nifty idea, how about you make those people that use data pay for the data, instead of making those that don't use it pay for it. Hmmm. Maybe that is just to logical for some people. LOL The sad part is I don't see where the complaints have stopped. I still see a lot of posts about phantom data usage and overages because of it.

I am not "saying anything" not privy to the internal communications memos and policy making decisions for any cellualr provider, it is an opinion, just like everyone else that posts on the forums. I do not care at all. I use a smartphone for business and personal, I have no issues with the required data plan.

As far as "phanthom data use" some of it maybe valid, but then again I worked with a friend with them trying to figure out what their daughters data usage as so high

1. left a multitasking streaming app on at all time

2. had push set for her personal email address book set and a very low time cycle

3. kept facebook app oen all the time

4. kept a messenger app open at all time

So it her case, the "phanthom data usage" was not a one at all.

Pretty poor comparision with auto insurance, since auto insure is mandatory by each and every state and a pretty hefty fine is given if you don;t have it.

/rofl - "Here is a nifty idea, how about you make those people that use data pay for the data, instead of making those that don't use it pay for it." nice joke, att's lines would be clogged with pelpe complaing about 50 - 100 dollar "accidental data usage" complaints.

as always - you want the top end, be expected to pay for it. If the end user does not like it - go someplace that will handle it the way they want it to - if they can find one

Message 17 of 23
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

I am not "saying anything" not privy to the internal communications memos and policy making decisions for any cellualr provider, it is an opinion, just like everyone else that posts on the forums. I do not care at all. I use a smartphone for business and personal, I have no issues with the required data plan.

As far as "phanthom data use" some of it maybe valid, but then again I worked with a friend with them trying to figure out what their daughters data usage as so high

2. had push set for her personal email address book set and a very low time cycle

Pretty poor comparision with auto insurance, since auto insure is mandatory by each and every state and a pretty hefty fine is given if you don;t have it.

/rofl - "Here is a nifty idea, how about you make those people that use data pay for the data, instead of making those that don't use it pay for it." nice joke, att's lines would be clogged with pelpe complaing about 50 - 100 dollar "accidental data usage" complaints.

as always - you want the top end, be expected to pay for it. If the end user does not like it - go someplace that will handle it the way they want it to - if they can find one

How funny. You aren't say nothing but you did. In fact, you said this, "seems like a good business decision to prevent calls of complaints incase there is cellular data charges", so I think the insurance analogy applies.

"nice joke, att's lines would be clogged with peope complaing about 50 - 100 dollar "accidental data usage" complaints". And you are probably right, so your answer to this is have the customers that don't use data pay for it? If they used the data, they should pay for it, no matter how hard they complain.

"as always - you want the top end, be expected to pay for it". Perhaps you should explain to me how I want the top end to pay for it when I'm saying, you use it you pay for it and quit making customers pay for something they don't want. I guess it's a good thing you run a Mickey Mouse business and not some multi billion dollar corporation.

Message 18 of 23
Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

How funny. You aren't say nothing but you did. In fact, you said this, "seems like a good business decision to prevent calls of complaints incase there is cellular data charges", so I think the insurance analogy applies.

"nice joke, att's lines would be clogged with peope complaing about 50 - 100 dollar "accidental data usage" complaints". And you are probably right, so your answer to this is have the customers that don't use data pay for it? If they used the data, they should pay for it, no matter how hard they complain.

"as always - you want the top end, be expected to pay for it". Perhaps you should explain to me how I want the top end to pay for it when I'm saying, you use it you pay for it and quit making customers pay for something they don't want. I guess it's a good thing you run a Mickey Mouse business and not some multi billion dollar corporation.

there you go making assumptions on things you have no concept about. I stated my opinion if you don;t agree with it then that is your right, at least I don;t rezort to personal attacks which completely negate your "opinions"

If you want top end - aka a smartphone, expect to pay for the requirements that are put forth by every major carrier - to have a data plan - don't like the requirement, then get a qmd device - oh wait there is arequirement for that one also, then get a standard phone.

Nice assumption on my business, to bad you are incorrect as normal. Have a good day to day and a better day tomorrow, may you get everything you deserve and then some. Done with BHL type opinions and comments, enjoy

Message 19 of 23
Employee

bottom line, AT&T can make whatever requirements they want. You chose them, you do what they want. Don't like, leave. Very simple. No one is forcing you to stay, you can leave at any time. Yes you will have an ETF, but you agreed that when you signed the contract.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 23
Professor

JFizDaWiz wrote:

bottom line, AT&T can make whatever requirements they want. You chose them, you do what they want. Don't like, leave. Very simple. No one is forcing you to stay, you can leave at any time. Yes you will have an ETF, but you agreed that when you signed the contract.

Actually they can't make WHATEVER requirements they want. They can only make reasonable ones that don't don't violate consumer laws and regulations. It's not like the FCC hasn't spanked AT&T before. And I really don't have to go anywhere do I? I can stay right here and point out my perceived flaws of AT&T's all I want. You on the other hand don't have to reply.

Message 21 of 23
Highlighted
Scholar

spd2demun wrote:

My guess is they force it because too many people got large bills on the old per-use system (especially kiddies), then they call their carrier and claim to never have used that much data. That and the fact it brings in a LOAD of cash!  But the network has to be maintained, and that isn't free.

This may be, but every internet-capable phone I've ever had since the days of my Sony Ericsson W600i (awesome btw) and even before, has the magic AT&T MediaNet button that with a single press would suck data... the answer was, of course, a data block back when you could do it, or to modify the device connection profile (if you could). Some devices could not be neutered (sorry :-)) without a data block.

If AT&T was so concerned about such users, why not (a) charge more for a smartphone to begin with (b) allow unlockeds without hassle and (c) by default, block ALL data...

We can rationalize it all we want but the bottom line is that we as intelligent users would feel a LITTLE less insulted if AT&T came and told us up front "hey, people. It's all about money. Live with it".

Hiding behind reasons a child would find flaws in is not a sound business practice. Honesty, regardless of outcome, is.

Message 22 of 23
Employee

sitnsidewayz wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Actually they can't make WHATEVER requirements they want. They can only make reasonable ones that don't don't violate consumer laws and regulations. It's not like the FCC hasn't spanked AT&T before. And I really don't have to go anywhere do I? I can stay right here and point out my perceived flaws of AT&T's all I want. You on the other hand don't have to reply.

ok I guess not WHATEVER they want, but they can within reason do so. I mean they COULD charge $60 for 2GB if they wanted and make it mandatory for smartphones, stupid? yes. but can they? probably.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 23 of 23
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support