Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2011
11:55:23 AM
View profile
ATT microcell

I have been a att customer since 2007. Thought the reception was good earlier, of late the network is really patchy. IN my home itself, I get variation in signals at the same place, which ranges from 0 to 3 bars. This makes calling difficult. its really sad that we were never offered microcell nor att will allow calling using wi-fi. I am just waiting for the contract to end so I can switch to other carriers. 

I have been a att customer since 2007. Thought the reception was good earlier, of late the network is really patchy. IN my home itself, I get variation in signals at the same place, which ranges from 0 to 3 bars. This makes calling difficult. its really sad that we were never offered microcell nor att will allow calling using wi-fi. I am just waiting for the contract to end so I can switch to other carriers. 

ATT microcell

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 8:28:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dectestex wrote:

Start calling support and logging complaints about poor reception. After awhile you just may get a discount for a MicroCell or maybe even a free one. It's a pain and unfortunate that one has to do that but you may get lucky if your persistent.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

dectestex wrote:

Start calling support and logging complaints about poor reception. After awhile you just may get a discount for a MicroCell or maybe even a free one. It's a pain and unfortunate that one has to do that but you may get lucky if your persistent.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT microcell

2 of 8 (2,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2011 7:43:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

I tried calling the customer rep. They asked me to Pay $250/- + tax with $100/- MIR. I thought it was quite riduculos for paying them money when they are supposed to improve the network. When att had guts to accept the fact that they were not ready for traffic on network -- 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109509-AT-T-Admits-It-Wasnt-Ready-For-The-iPhone, 

they should at least offer customers who have never defaulted the payment for 5 years and due to thier pathetic nature, are experiencing dropped calls.

Good going att, Please make sure to endorse more and more, so you can dupe more innocent customers

Otto Pylot wrote:

dectestex wrote:

I tried calling the customer rep. They asked me to Pay $250/- + tax with $100/- MIR. I thought it was quite riduculos for paying them money when they are supposed to improve the network. When att had guts to accept the fact that they were not ready for traffic on network -- 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109509-AT-T-Admits-It-Wasnt-Ready-For-The-iPhone, 

they should at least offer customers who have never defaulted the payment for 5 years and due to thier pathetic nature, are experiencing dropped calls.

Good going att, Please make sure to endorse more and more, so you can dupe more innocent customers

Otto Pylot wrote:

dectestex wrote:

3 of 8 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 9:32:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

Don't get too excited about having a Microcell.  I have had one for about 6 months and I average 3-4 dropped or failed calls a day.  A call to Microcell support has told me that I don't have enough dropped calls to warrent a service call!!!  How many does it take?  When the contract is up, I plan to change to Verizon.  ATT service stinks no matter what they say on their crappy ads.

Don't get too excited about having a Microcell.  I have had one for about 6 months and I average 3-4 dropped or failed calls a day.  A call to Microcell support has told me that I don't have enough dropped calls to warrent a service call!!!  How many does it take?  When the contract is up, I plan to change to Verizon.  ATT service stinks no matter what they say on their crappy ads.

4 of 8 (2,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 7:53:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had this unit for 6 weeks and have spend more time trying to reach someone who knows how to manage this device

My frustration level is high

It connects whenever it feels like it

My apartment is only 1000 square feet yet this device has not shown it is reliable.

Upgraded internet

Have next to a window

do soft reset or pull out battery while next to the device

But it seems this thing choses to work whenever it feels like it

Customer service wants to mail me a new one yet why not just trouble shoot the one I have already?

Such a run around to get to someone who actually knows something about this device.

Finally was told a dedicated microcell tech support person would call me back in 72 hours

That didn't happen

have been loyal customer with cingular/att for 11 years

Yet I wonder how much more I have to spend to get relaibale coverage

device 250

cell bill almost 200 a month

now upgraded internet

Yet all this money and "call failed" blinking on the phone mid coversation and i just want to crawl back under the covers as the day just starts out crappy when not "connected"

I have had this unit for 6 weeks and have spend more time trying to reach someone who knows how to manage this device

My apartment is only 1000 square feet yet this device has not shown it is reliable.

Upgraded internet

Have next to a window

Customer service wants to mail me a new one yet why not just trouble shoot the one I have already?

Such a run around to get to someone who actually knows something about this device.

Finally was told a dedicated microcell tech support person would call me back in 72 hours

That didn't happen

device 250

now upgraded internet

Yet all this money and "call failed" blinking on the phone mid coversation and i just want to crawl back under the covers as the day just starts out crappy when not "connected"

5 of 8 (2,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 1:20:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jayniebaker wrote:

Upgraded internet

Have next to a window

That didn't happen

device 250

now upgraded internet

If your phone is an iPhone there are quite a few known issues. AT&T blames Apple, Apple blames Cisco, Cisco blames Apple, ad nauseum. If customer service wants to send you a new one, I'd go for it. Can't hurt and at least they're not going to charge you for the replacement. And who knows, you may be one of the few who really have a defective unit. Try the priority setup and see if that works, modem ->MicroCell -> router. If that works, then it's probably a configuration issue with the router. 18" from a window with an open view of the sky and at least 2' away from any other WiFi device (and that includes a close neighbor if your apartment is only 1000 sq ft.). DSL or cable internet connection works best. PPoE is problematic. Calling support, as you have discovered, is a lost cause for the most part. All you can do is document your calls made within the warranty period, be polite, and push for some sort of a credit on your phone bill for non-service. I received an $80 credit one month and two warranty replacements before I finally got reliable service. However, I don't think the replacements were the problem, I had to do some extra router configurations (basically create a secure tunnel to the MicroCell only).

jayniebaker wrote:

Upgraded internet

Have next to a window

That didn't happen

device 250

now upgraded internet

If your phone is an iPhone there are quite a few known issues. AT&T blames Apple, Apple blames Cisco, Cisco blames Apple, ad nauseum. If customer service wants to send you a new one, I'd go for it. Can't hurt and at least they're not going to charge you for the replacement. And who knows, you may be one of the few who really have a defective unit. Try the priority setup and see if that works, modem ->MicroCell -> router. If that works, then it's probably a configuration issue with the router. 18" from a window with an open view of the sky and at least 2' away from any other WiFi device (and that includes a close neighbor if your apartment is only 1000 sq ft.). DSL or cable internet connection works best. PPoE is problematic. Calling support, as you have discovered, is a lost cause for the most part. All you can do is document your calls made within the warranty period, be polite, and push for some sort of a credit on your phone bill for non-service. I received an $80 credit one month and two warranty replacements before I finally got reliable service. However, I don't think the replacements were the problem, I had to do some extra router configurations (basically create a secure tunnel to the MicroCell only).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 8 (2,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2011 5:46:53 AM
(0)
Teacher
ATT microcell [ New ]

I have/had the exact same problems as you. Customer since 2004, always reliable service until they started rolling out 4G/ LTE (tech support admitted to me that is interfering with 3G customers). Can sit in same place, even outside, and watch bars fluctuate from none- to 3- to none.

While I wouldn't dissuade you from going to Verizon, you can bet you'll inherit problems with them too- may be better but I wouldn't count on it. The grass is not always greener...

Query some Verizon users and see how they feel.

That said, I kept calling ATT CS and complaining about my service. Finally, during my fifth call, I reached a rep. who genuinely cared about my problem. She offered me the MC free, including shipping (charged to my account but credit issued). I expressed concern that I would end up getting billed and fighting them for credit. She told me she has the authority to make those decisions (free MC, etc.), and not to worry. Bill was as promised.

Be as tenacious as a pit bull! It is frustrating having to call them, but I assure you, eventually you're going to get someone's ear, and get some resolution. 

I wish you luck.

ATT microcell [ New ]

I have/had the exact same problems as you. Customer since 2004, always reliable service until they started rolling out 4G/ LTE (tech support admitted to me that is interfering with 3G customers). Can sit in same place, even outside, and watch bars fluctuate from none- to 3- to none.

While I wouldn't dissuade you from going to Verizon, you can bet you'll inherit problems with them too- may be better but I wouldn't count on it. The grass is not always greener...

Query some Verizon users and see how they feel.

That said, I kept calling ATT CS and complaining about my service. Finally, during my fifth call, I reached a rep. who genuinely cared about my problem. She offered me the MC free, including shipping (charged to my account but credit issued). I expressed concern that I would end up getting billed and fighting them for credit. She told me she has the authority to make those decisions (free MC, etc.), and not to worry. Bill was as promised.

Be as tenacious as a pit bull! It is frustrating having to call them, but I assure you, eventually you're going to get someone's ear, and get some resolution. 

I wish you luck.

7 of 8 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 9:16:14 PM
(0)
Contributor
Microcell, antennas, been there & done that. Spent untold number of hours talking to CS asking the dumbest questions. Did more reading on femtocells than for my Masters degree. Spent $3k+ on 3 iphones, microcell, rewiring my house, cell to landline phones, wifi soft phones, passive antennas, active antennas, you name it. Microcell will give you 5 bars and lots of dropped calls. It is useless. It will only work perfectly if there is zero AT&T signal. The root problem is that the AT&T signal is poor. The signal strength in a spot also varies with time. I know one of the happiest day in my life will be when my contract with AT&T ends.
Microcell, antennas, been there & done that. Spent untold number of hours talking to CS asking the dumbest questions. Did more reading on femtocells than for my Masters degree. Spent $3k+ on 3 iphones, microcell, rewiring my house, cell to landline phones, wifi soft phones, passive antennas, active antennas, you name it. Microcell will give you 5 bars and lots of dropped calls. It is useless. It will only work perfectly if there is zero AT&T signal. The root problem is that the AT&T signal is poor. The signal strength in a spot also varies with time. I know one of the happiest day in my life will be when my contract with AT&T ends.

8 of 8 (1,922 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments