Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 22, 2011
9:07:11 PM
View profile
ATT go phone SIM card isn't working in samsung Captivate??

I got an samsung captivate. I have the smartphone pay as you go plan. I put my Sim card in but it said no SIM call Customer service. I was told that it would work? What shall I do?

I got an samsung captivate. I have the smartphone pay as you go plan. I put my Sim card in but it said no SIM call Customer service. I was told that it would work? What shall I do?

ATT go phone SIM card isn't working in samsung Captivate??

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 2:30:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm using a GoPhone SIM card in my Samsung Captivate. It works perfectly fine. If I can use my Captivate on a prepaid GoPhone plan, I'm sure you can, too... Smiley Wink

Is your SIM card registered? Your SIM card must be activated with an active phone number if you do not already have one. Are there any active funds in your prepaid account? What was your previous phone, if any, and how long did you have the Capivate's SIM in it for? If it was just temporary (less than six months), the problem could be that your GoPhone SIM is locked to the original phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I'm using a GoPhone SIM card in my Samsung Captivate. It works perfectly fine. If I can use my Captivate on a prepaid GoPhone plan, I'm sure you can, too... Smiley Wink

Is your SIM card registered? Your SIM card must be activated with an active phone number if you do not already have one. Are there any active funds in your prepaid account? What was your previous phone, if any, and how long did you have the Capivate's SIM in it for? If it was just temporary (less than six months), the problem could be that your GoPhone SIM is locked to the original phone.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ATT go phone SIM card isn't working in samsung Captivate??

2 of 11 (4,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 6:39:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes the sim card was locked! I took it up to the ATT store and they said it just needed to be unlocked! Now it works Smiley Happy

Yes the sim card was locked! I took it up to the ATT store and they said it just needed to be unlocked! Now it works Smiley Happy

3 of 11 (4,853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 8:52:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Awesome! I thought maybe that was it. Smiley Wink Anyway, enjoy your new Captivate! I sure love using mine on a GoPhone plan!

Awesome! I thought maybe that was it. Smiley Wink Anyway, enjoy your new Captivate! I sure love using mine on a GoPhone plan!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (4,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 12:11:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm tired of spending ~$80/month on a plan that I don't really use.

I currently own a Samsung Captivate with all the bells and whistles of a contract. I would like to get a GoPhone SIM card, with the 10¢/minute plan, and stick it in my Captivate. I'd like to keep my current number as well, but I'm getting confused as to what order I should do everything in, so I don't lock myself out. Any hints from someone who's already attempted this?

I currently own a Samsung Captivate with all the bells and whistles of a contract. I would like to get a GoPhone SIM card, with the 10¢/minute plan, and stick it in my Captivate. I'd like to keep my current number as well, but I'm getting confused as to what order I should do everything in, so I don't lock myself out. Any hints from someone who's already attempted this?

5 of 11 (4,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 3:35:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Scarab83 wrote:

That's exactly what I have - a Captivate with a GoPhone SIM card in it along with the 10 cents per minute voice plan. If you would like to keep the same number, you could visit any ol' AT&T store and they should be able to transfer you from postpaid service to prepaid service. You should be able to keep your current phone number with a GoPhone SIM. I already had a GoPhone SIM as I did not switch over from postpaid service, so I do no have direct experience.

Scarab83 wrote:

That's exactly what I have - a Captivate with a GoPhone SIM card in it along with the 10 cents per minute voice plan. If you would like to keep the same number, you could visit any ol' AT&T store and they should be able to transfer you from postpaid service to prepaid service. You should be able to keep your current phone number with a GoPhone SIM. I already had a GoPhone SIM as I did not switch over from postpaid service, so I do no have direct experience.

6 of 11 (4,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2011 10:16:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wild Banchi wrote:

I'm just wary of the AT&T store being nasty about it or something. It seems like they wouldn't want people using a GoPhone SIM in a smart phone.

Wild Banchi wrote:

I'm just wary of the AT&T store being nasty about it or something. It seems like they wouldn't want people using a GoPhone SIM in a smart phone.

7 of 11 (4,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2011 9:25:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
They probably will be, most likely because they would rather you have postpaid service instead of prepaid so AT&T can earn $15-$25 more per month for a smartphone data plan, which is mandatory on postpaid smartphones.

You can most definitely do it, though. If they refuse/choose to be uncooperative, you can just activate a prepaid SIM yourself but you would forfeit your phone number.

They probably will be, most likely because they would rather you have postpaid service instead of prepaid so AT&T can earn $15-$25 more per month for a smartphone data plan, which is mandatory on postpaid smartphones.

You can most definitely do it, though. If they refuse/choose to be uncooperative, you can just activate a prepaid SIM yourself but you would forfeit your phone number.

8 of 11 (4,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2011 11:23:34 PM
(0)
Employee
They shouldn't b nasty bout it.. With the new pre-paid data plans, they can make plenty $ off pre-paid customers using smartphones. Expensive data too..think its 250mb for $25 (which gets ya 2G on contract)
They shouldn't b nasty bout it.. With the new pre-paid data plans, they can make plenty $ off pre-paid customers using smartphones. Expensive data too..think its 250mb for $25 (which gets ya 2G on contract)
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 11 (4,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2011 8:44:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Scarab83 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I've seen users indicate that they switched from post paid to prepaid just by contacting customer service (1-800-331-0500).  Then later one even switched back to post paid service just by contacting customer service.  lol.  So you might want to call them to see if they can make a simple account type change before you visit a store.  In this case, the customer service rep apparently even helped run a usage analysis and agreed that prepaid service seemed to make more sense for this user.

If you are under contract on your account, you will incur the applicable early termination fee; but if not, there's certainly no harm in trying it out to see if prepaid service will suit your needs. Smiley Happy  (Beware, there are coverage differences between prepaid and post paid service so you may want to check out the coverage maps for GoPhone service in the areas where you need service before making the switch.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Scarab83 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I've seen users indicate that they switched from post paid to prepaid just by contacting customer service (1-800-331-0500).  Then later one even switched back to post paid service just by contacting customer service.  lol.  So you might want to call them to see if they can make a simple account type change before you visit a store.  In this case, the customer service rep apparently even helped run a usage analysis and agreed that prepaid service seemed to make more sense for this user.

If you are under contract on your account, you will incur the applicable early termination fee; but if not, there's certainly no harm in trying it out to see if prepaid service will suit your needs. Smiley Happy  (Beware, there are coverage differences between prepaid and post paid service so you may want to check out the coverage maps for GoPhone service in the areas where you need service before making the switch.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

10 of 11 (4,526 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2012 8:42:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

ashleyafinow wrote:

Which sim card was locked? The sim on the GoPhone or the SIm on the Captivate?

I'm having a similar issue. I purchased and activated the Gophone and added a prepaid unlimited plan, but when I put the sim in the Captivate (i897) it does not recognize the sim card. I unlocked the Captivate and it still does not recognize that sim. Though it did recognize the sim from another att contract phone, and ALL the sims worked in the gophone. 

I am able to verify the Captivate is unlocked so hopefully you or someone else can clear this up for me.

Thanks!

-Maj

ashleyafinow wrote:

Which sim card was locked? The sim on the GoPhone or the SIm on the Captivate?

I'm having a similar issue. I purchased and activated the Gophone and added a prepaid unlimited plan, but when I put the sim in the Captivate (i897) it does not recognize the sim card. I unlocked the Captivate and it still does not recognize that sim. Though it did recognize the sim from another att contract phone, and ALL the sims worked in the gophone. 

I am able to verify the Captivate is unlocked so hopefully you or someone else can clear this up for me.

Thanks!

-Maj

11 of 11 (2,769 Views)