ATT&T sales, support, stores and chat are confused about tethering

Contributor

ATT&T sales, support, stores and chat are confused about tethering

Background

I wanted to cancel my Verizon broadband card and start migrating to ATT&T.   I purchased an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and was planning on using it as a tablet and WiFi hotspot.   This became very intersting.

Next steps

There are two major providers that could do this (AT&T and TMobile).   I visited the stores and AT&T Pleasanton, CA told me that I could get a tablet plan.  The 3GB/$30 plan couldn't tether but the 5GB/$50 could tether.  

I chatted online with AT&T and they told me that I could only tether with the 5GB/$50 plan and that was the difference between the 3GB/$30 and the 5GB/$50 plan.

I called 800 AT&T and they assured me that all laptop plans could be tethered.

I then went to San Ramon to purchase the 5GB plan.   They assured me no tethering which was a huge shock.

I went back to Pleasanton to purchase the plan that they committed to and was now told that there was no tethering.

What bothers me

AT&T can offer any feature they want.  But it is unprofessional for the left hand and the right hand to not know what products AT&T offer.  This is truly sad that AT&T cannot properly train their staff.   I spent quite a bit of time planning about how to give AT&T more business and then was shut down by lack of communication.

Based on the fact that the online system told me I could tether and the stores said no I am still hopeful that the stores just don't know. 

I am hopeful

I hope AT&T will read this and give me an incredible deal to use my Samsung as a tether so I can connect other WiFi devices to the internet. 

If this isn't a feature I suggest AT&T add the feature.   It is possible to purchase a MiFi device for the same monthly price that allows tethering.  Tethering must be possible since there should be no network difference whether I tether via the MiFi or the tablet.   Having to carry a small MiFi is ok but I was hoping to keep this down to one device..

Positive comments -- hopefully.

Message 1 of 4
Teacher

Re: ATT&T sales, support, stores and chat are confused about tethering

Call in. Personally I avoid the stores as much as possible. While there can be a wait sometimes to get somebody, your a whole lot likely to get the support you need.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Any thoughts?   Does AT&T have the requested teathering option as stated via the 800 phone number?

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Teacher

I personally specialize in U-Verse services. I know enough about our mobility/wireless devices to make by, but in order to provide the best possible advice I would prefer that you simply called the mobility department. I would not want to mention a feature or option that may not be available to you.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support