Helpful Links

ATT&T sales, support, stores and chat are confused about tethering

Contributor

ATT&T sales, support, stores and chat are confused about tethering

Background

I wanted to cancel my Verizon broadband card and start migrating to ATT&T.   I purchased an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet and was planning on using it as a tablet and WiFi hotspot.   This became very intersting.

Next steps

There are two major providers that could do this (AT&T and TMobile).   I visited the stores and AT&T Pleasanton, CA told me that I could get a tablet plan.  The 3GB/$30 plan couldn't tether but the 5GB/$50 could tether.  

I chatted online with AT&T and they told me that I could only tether with the 5GB/$50 plan and that was the difference between the 3GB/$30 and the 5GB/$50 plan.

I called 800 AT&T and they assured me that all laptop plans could be tethered.

I then went to San Ramon to purchase the 5GB plan.   They assured me no tethering which was a huge shock.

I went back to Pleasanton to purchase the plan that they committed to and was now told that there was no tethering.

What bothers me

AT&T can offer any feature they want.  But it is unprofessional for the left hand and the right hand to not know what products AT&T offer.  This is truly sad that AT&T cannot properly train their staff.   I spent quite a bit of time planning about how to give AT&T more business and then was shut down by lack of communication.

Based on the fact that the online system told me I could tether and the stores said no I am still hopeful that the stores just don't know. 

I am hopeful

I hope AT&T will read this and give me an incredible deal to use my Samsung as a tether so I can connect other WiFi devices to the internet. 

If this isn't a feature I suggest AT&T add the feature.   It is possible to purchase a MiFi device for the same monthly price that allows tethering.  Tethering must be possible since there should be no network difference whether I tether via the MiFi or the tablet.   Having to carry a small MiFi is ok but I was hoping to keep this down to one device..

Positive comments -- hopefully.

Message 1 of 4
Teacher

Re: ATT&T sales, support, stores and chat are confused about tethering

Call in. Personally I avoid the stores as much as possible. While there can be a wait sometimes to get somebody, your a whole lot likely to get the support you need.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Any thoughts?   Does AT&T have the requested teathering option as stated via the 800 phone number?

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Teacher

I personally specialize in U-Verse services. I know enough about our mobility/wireless devices to make by, but in order to provide the best possible advice I would prefer that you simply called the mobility department. I would not want to mention a feature or option that may not be available to you.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support