Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 22, 2012
5:50:43 PM
ATT - You are fired.

I am firing ATT tomorrow morning due to the outrageous service plans that I am sick of being gouged on for the last 6 years. I am currently on the Nationwide 450 plan at 39.99 that does NOT include texts. I add the $5 monthly fee for texts and this still does NOT include any data.

So for $45 a month I get the Nationwide 450 plan plus only 200 texts with ZERO data? Terrible price. If anyone is interested, I am moving to an unlimited plan including unlimited minutes, texts AND unlimited data for $45 a month from StraightTalk.

Bad form ATT for keeping this terrible price structure ripping your loyal customers off.

BTW I even have the 20% off Service plan through my work. STILL a rip off since that only lowers the rate to 42.95 with taxes included. For $45 I get unlimited everything starting tomorrow. Just mentioning as I am a business owner too and would like this kind of feedback from people leaving my business. 

I am firing ATT tomorrow morning due to the outrageous service plans that I am sick of being gouged on for the last 6 years. I am currently on the Nationwide 450 plan at 39.99 that does NOT include texts. I add the $5 monthly fee for texts and this still does NOT include any data.

So for $45 a month I get the Nationwide 450 plan plus only 200 texts with ZERO data? Terrible price. If anyone is interested, I am moving to an unlimited plan including unlimited minutes, texts AND unlimited data for $45 a month from StraightTalk.

Bad form ATT for keeping this terrible price structure ripping your loyal customers off.

BTW I even have the 20% off Service plan through my work. STILL a rip off since that only lowers the rate to 42.95 with taxes included. For $45 I get unlimited everything starting tomorrow. Just mentioning as I am a business owner too and would like this kind of feedback from people leaving my business. 

ATT - You are fired.

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 6:25:52 PM
(0)
Master

danteshors wrote:

Not every company is for everyone.  As long as your new company meets your needs and provides services in the areas that you need. Enjoy!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

danteshors wrote:

Not every company is for everyone.  As long as your new company meets your needs and provides services in the areas that you need. Enjoy!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: ATT - You are fired.

2 of 9 (980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 7:06:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 22, 2012 at 7:41:58 PM

canceling my service also after many yrs..

"Not every company is for everyone. As long as your new company meets your needs and provides services in the areas that you need. Enjoy!"

[Please keep it courteous]

canceling my service also after many yrs..

"Not every company is for everyone. As long as your new company meets your needs and provides services in the areas that you need. Enjoy!"

[Please keep it courteous]

[ Edited ]
3 of 9 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 7:30:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
The irony of this is....that AT&T & T-Mobile provide the GSM services for Straight Talk. So if you are switching by using a new sim card...good possiblility ATT will be your actual service provider. I am testing the Family Mobile from T_Mobile in my area right now & Straight Talk next week. If it works I'm firing them (ATT) too. ATT's service is getting worse & worse in our area. Continuous dropped calls, etc. & they keep on raising costs!!!! Go for it.....I'm right behind.....but I pay $200 a month for my ATT service. Maybe if more of us did this they would realize how badly they are mseeing up.
The irony of this is....that AT&T & T-Mobile provide the GSM services for Straight Talk. So if you are switching by using a new sim card...good possiblility ATT will be your actual service provider. I am testing the Family Mobile from T_Mobile in my area right now & Straight Talk next week. If it works I'm firing them (ATT) too. ATT's service is getting worse & worse in our area. Continuous dropped calls, etc. & they keep on raising costs!!!! Go for it.....I'm right behind.....but I pay $200 a month for my ATT service. Maybe if more of us did this they would realize how badly they are mseeing up.

4 of 9 (962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2012 10:06:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

It's all in the ''location" when it comes to your cell service.  And if you read the fine print all cellphone companies will have a disclaimer that states they do not guarantee service will work all the time for everyone.  There is going to be drops in service from a variety of uncontrollable events.  Maybe we should all go back to landlines. I'm tired of people complaining all the time.  Technology has not been perfected yet and now with the new 4G LTE I forsee a lot of problems in the future.

It's all in the ''location" when it comes to your cell service.  And if you read the fine print all cellphone companies will have a disclaimer that states they do not guarantee service will work all the time for everyone.  There is going to be drops in service from a variety of uncontrollable events.  Maybe we should all go back to landlines. I'm tired of people complaining all the time.  Technology has not been perfected yet and now with the new 4G LTE I forsee a lot of problems in the future.

5 of 9 (935 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2012 9:38:33 AM
(0)
Former Employee
Edited by drumn_bass on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:41:34 AM

danteshors wrote:

An average cell phone bill in America is around $100, so you're not doing too bad. There are cheaper prepaid options, but they're cheaper for a number of reasons, minimal phone selection, very limited (if any) customer care and tech support (for example you can go to one of hundreds of AT&T's stores to get help or call anytime and get connected within couple of minutes, there are device support centers and a typical AT&T store has 30-40 different phones to pick from). Do you think you can get technical support from a Walmart employee? You're not only paying for minutes and coverage, there are other things involved and looks like hundreds of millions of people prefer those benefits over cheaper prices, those that choose AT&T or Verizon or even Sprint.

danteshors wrote:

An average cell phone bill in America is around $100, so you're not doing too bad. There are cheaper prepaid options, but they're cheaper for a number of reasons, minimal phone selection, very limited (if any) customer care and tech support (for example you can go to one of hundreds of AT&T's stores to get help or call anytime and get connected within couple of minutes, there are device support centers and a typical AT&T store has 30-40 different phones to pick from). Do you think you can get technical support from a Walmart employee? You're not only paying for minutes and coverage, there are other things involved and looks like hundreds of millions of people prefer those benefits over cheaper prices, those that choose AT&T or Verizon or even Sprint.

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2012 12:11:45 PM
(0)
Tutor
Got my number ported in less than 20 minutes and my signal is the same since I use the same towers and I now have 4G data speed. I got the ATT StraightTalk simcard and it works wonderfully so far. If I buy 3 months ahead of time the monthly rate for unlimited goes to 43 a month or so or right where I was using att with no data, 450 min and 200 texts. No more att cash cow from me.

rollover minutes are useless when you have an unlimited minute plan my friend and I get answers within 30 minutes via email to straighttalk including how to configure an apn.
Got my number ported in less than 20 minutes and my signal is the same since I use the same towers and I now have 4G data speed. I got the ATT StraightTalk simcard and it works wonderfully so far. If I buy 3 months ahead of time the monthly rate for unlimited goes to 43 a month or so or right where I was using att with no data, 450 min and 200 texts. No more att cash cow from me.

rollover minutes are useless when you have an unlimited minute plan my friend and I get answers within 30 minutes via email to straighttalk including how to configure an apn.

7 of 9 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2012 12:36:14 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:38:45 PM

Minimal phone selection?

With Straight Talk, you can choose any unlocked device and use it on the network.

While you can technically do that on AT&T - you don't get a discount for BYOD, so if you purchase an unlocked device and put your AT&T SIM in, you are still paying as if you purchased a subsidized device.

The problem here - AT&T's contract-subsidized devices are universally awful.  Without fail, AT&T consistently takes great devices and ruin them.  Look at the Galaxy S II as an example:

I9100 was released approximately May 2011

Unlocked I9100 devices receive fairly frequent updates

I9100 received an Android 4.0 upgrade in mid-March 2012

AT&T version (SGH-I777):

Released in October 2011 (almost 6 months delay)

Factory firmware had a broken data-eating widget that was not a problem in any international firmware

The December update had severe power management regressions

It is now almost May 2012 and the December update is still the latest for this device - to have a properly functioning device you must void your warranty and install international firmware

I could live with ICS being delayed a bit - but not fixing the major power management regressions in UCKK6 is simply inexcusable.

Unless AT&T starts carrying international devices with no carrier mangling - I'm switching to Straight Talk when my contract is up because of the superior device selection that comes with being able to BYOD without financial penalties.

As another example - The Galaxy Nexus is $400 unsubsidized directly from Google.  The amount of money you save on Straight Talk will more than pay for that entire device in AT&T's typical upgrade cycle period.

Minimal phone selection?

With Straight Talk, you can choose any unlocked device and use it on the network.

While you can technically do that on AT&T - you don't get a discount for BYOD, so if you purchase an unlocked device and put your AT&T SIM in, you are still paying as if you purchased a subsidized device.

The problem here - AT&T's contract-subsidized devices are universally awful.  Without fail, AT&T consistently takes great devices and ruin them.  Look at the Galaxy S II as an example:

I9100 was released approximately May 2011

Unlocked I9100 devices receive fairly frequent updates

I9100 received an Android 4.0 upgrade in mid-March 2012

AT&T version (SGH-I777):

Released in October 2011 (almost 6 months delay)

Factory firmware had a broken data-eating widget that was not a problem in any international firmware

The December update had severe power management regressions

It is now almost May 2012 and the December update is still the latest for this device - to have a properly functioning device you must void your warranty and install international firmware

I could live with ICS being delayed a bit - but not fixing the major power management regressions in UCKK6 is simply inexcusable.

Unless AT&T starts carrying international devices with no carrier mangling - I'm switching to Straight Talk when my contract is up because of the superior device selection that comes with being able to BYOD without financial penalties.

As another example - The Galaxy Nexus is $400 unsubsidized directly from Google.  The amount of money you save on Straight Talk will more than pay for that entire device in AT&T's typical upgrade cycle period.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2012 4:36:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Since 2005 AT&T has been taking my money at $150 a month for four phones that have a shared 700 minute unlimited texting no data plan.  They recently wanted to add an extra $30.00 to my bill just because they had figured out that one of my phone's was an Iphone.  They said that it is a mandatory charge just because it's and Iphone.  I've been using this Iphone for over three months with the data turn off.  After calling customer support and discussing the issue with them they would not budge from this charge.  I then decided that I've had enough.  I wasn't gonna pay $180 a month for four phones and only one of them having a data plan.  To my delight I only had to go to one place to find a better deal.  T mobile was offering me a four line plan with unlimited calls unlimited text and unlimited data on all four phones for $149.  I called AT&T back and told them about what T mobile was offering me.  The transferred me to a customer retention operator who after discussing the whole situation for about an hour and 1/2 was only willing to take $45.00 off my bill for the next three months and offer no other services beyond that.  They also said that my phones would not work with T mobile service which is not true.  So my decision was easy to make and here were my options.

1.  Stay with AT&T and only receive data on one phone and the other three lines only having 700 minute an unlimited texting for $180.

2.  Buy new service through T mobile which will include four lines of unlimited calling unlimited text and unlimited data for $149.

3.  Or upgrade my AT&T service to match T mobiles service which would cost $380 per month.

Needless to say I chose a option two.  After being a blindly loyal AT&T customer since 2005 I am saying goodbye and good riddance.  I will be sharing my story with every one that I know.  I have several friends that have AT&T plans that are being forced to pay an extra $30.00 a month for their data.  T mobile wants these AT&T customers badly.  And they will slash their prices to get you.  All you need to do is call them.  But don't take my word for it call them yourself you'll see.

SO HERE IT IS AT&T, YOUR FIRED!

Since 2005 AT&T has been taking my money at $150 a month for four phones that have a shared 700 minute unlimited texting no data plan.  They recently wanted to add an extra $30.00 to my bill just because they had figured out that one of my phone's was an Iphone.  They said that it is a mandatory charge just because it's and Iphone.  I've been using this Iphone for over three months with the data turn off.  After calling customer support and discussing the issue with them they would not budge from this charge.  I then decided that I've had enough.  I wasn't gonna pay $180 a month for four phones and only one of them having a data plan.  To my delight I only had to go to one place to find a better deal.  T mobile was offering me a four line plan with unlimited calls unlimited text and unlimited data on all four phones for $149.  I called AT&T back and told them about what T mobile was offering me.  The transferred me to a customer retention operator who after discussing the whole situation for about an hour and 1/2 was only willing to take $45.00 off my bill for the next three months and offer no other services beyond that.  They also said that my phones would not work with T mobile service which is not true.  So my decision was easy to make and here were my options.

1.  Stay with AT&T and only receive data on one phone and the other three lines only having 700 minute an unlimited texting for $180.

2.  Buy new service through T mobile which will include four lines of unlimited calling unlimited text and unlimited data for $149.

3.  Or upgrade my AT&T service to match T mobiles service which would cost $380 per month.

Needless to say I chose a option two.  After being a blindly loyal AT&T customer since 2005 I am saying goodbye and good riddance.  I will be sharing my story with every one that I know.  I have several friends that have AT&T plans that are being forced to pay an extra $30.00 a month for their data.  T mobile wants these AT&T customers badly.  And they will slash their prices to get you.  All you need to do is call them.  But don't take my word for it call them yourself you'll see.

SO HERE IT IS AT&T, YOUR FIRED!

9 of 9 (817 Views)