Re: ATT DATA USUAGE CALCULATOR

2 of 8 (3,252 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 18, 2010 3:07:51 PM
    (0)
    Professor

In a world where some people still call and ask about how many "minutes" they get online, this calculator is great.

3 of 8 (3,250 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2010 4:25:48 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Now that tool is amazing!  Makes me want to run out and get a Smart phone. Smiley Wink

4 of 8 (3,198 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2010 4:45:28 AM
    (0)
    Guru

UNSC_REACH wrote:

In a world where some people still call and ask about how many "minutes" they get online, this calculator is great.

I love hearing this. I get a chuckle every time.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

5 of 8 (3,194 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2010 8:49:09 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by varuscelli on Oct 1, 2010 at 9:30:33 AM

I like it overall. 

But, I think the calculator might be off in terms of the e-mails with photo attachment calculations, but only in the sense that I think it overestimates size/data usage (which is actually good -- much better than underestimating usage).  But I might be misinterpreting. 

I seem to be seeing a pretty big discrepancy between the slider calculation on photo attachments and the Data Legend below. 

That is, the Data Legend shows each e-mail with photo attachment as using approximately 350 KB (.35 MB), which does not seem to be a bad estimation in a general sense.

But, the slider shows 10 e-mails with photo attachments as using .10 GB (100 MB), which means each e-mail with photo attachment is being calculated as 10 MB usage (or 10,000 KB). 

So, should each e-mail with photo attachment be calculated at 350 KB (.35 MB) or 10,000 KB (10 MB)?

Something seems to be off -- either my calculations, the calculator's calculations, or my interpretation of the calculator's calculations.  And I do admit that my own calculations might not be correct in this.  But, it looks to me as though they need to fix the e-mail with photo attachment slider to more accurately match the Data Legend. 

[ Edited ]
    6 of 8 (3,184 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2010 1:57:41 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Each of the sliders has a drop-down selection for per day or per month.  Then the bar at the bottom is per month.  100MB per month / 10 emails per day / 30 days per month ~ 0.333 MB per email.  That's mMuch more in line with the estimate.

7 of 8 (3,166 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2010 2:19:32 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

erichamion wrote:

Each of the sliders has a drop-down selection for per day or per month.  Then the bar at the bottom is per month.  100MB per month / 10 emails per day / 30 days per month ~ 0.333 MB per email.  That's mMuch more in line with the estimate.

Ahh, I got it.  So, I was misinterpreting the data usage bar when in the "day" mode on the slider (that is, incorrectly concluding that the total reflected only 10 photo e-mails instead of 300 photo e-mails).  Thanks for clearing that up for me, erichamion.  Now it makes sense and I can see that the numbers do indeed match nearly exactly. 

8 of 8 (3,162 Views)