ATT Android Update Communications - Froyo

Mentor

ATT Android Update Communications - Froyo

Why is it so difficult to keep consumers in the loop on software releases for Android (specifically Samsung Galaxy S)? ATT must know when Froyo (2.2) is scheduled for release. The same goes for updates (fixes) that are in between releases. After all, they must have a project plan with tentative dates. Let us consumers know! It does not have to be a specific month. A quarter would do (and stick to it). Doesn't ATT know that communication is key?

Android phones are not like other phones (except Apple iOS) that never get updates. Most Android phone users expect  to get updates. Software makers also target specific releases. For example, Skype is not available for 2.1 and Google has updates to their apps that are only available for 2.2.  Even Samsung will have Media Hub for 2.2.

HTC/Verizon long ago updated the Incredible with Froyo.

Gingerbread (2.3) is already available. Let us consumers know what the plan is! Samsung and ATT must already have a good idea if it will be available for the Galaxy S and when.  After all, Samsung works side by side with Google on its development.

Very frustrating not having any info. ATT, you should communicate better.

Mike

Message 1 of 10
Mentor

Re: ATT Android Update Communications - Froyo

Don't hold your breath...LOL

I for doubt they have any plan at all besides taking your money..

for proof just read the posts by sub employees who have disclaimers in there sig, or the AT&T fan boys who only know how to post XDA info or regurgitate ad nosium the stuff mods aprove of on here.

Nothing new and IMO nothing useful you couldn't find from RTM.

HTH

:-p

Message 2 of 10
Teacher

Hi Mike

You are exact on all points.  I got tired of AT&T giving me the run around on when Android 2.2 (Froyo) is coming out.  I had a coworker that had a different phone carrier but the same phone (Samsung)), and he had Android 2.2.  Thats what made me turn to the interent for help.  I have the Samsung SGH-I897 (Galaxy S) phone.  I downloaded Android 2.2 (i guess i was a builders leak) from the internet and loaded it to my phone.  Froyo works great.  When I downloaded, I did lose all of my apps and it rebooted the whole phone.  But that was a small cost to pay for winning the war.   I would do a little searching "samsung froyo download SGH-I897 Android 2.2" on a web search engine. And make sure you have the original USB cord. 

Message 3 of 10
Expert

pjglassman wrote:

Don't hold your breath...LOL

I for doubt they have any plan at all besides taking your money..

for proof just read the posts by sub employees who have disclaimers in there sig, or the AT&T fan boys who only know how to post XDA info or regurgitate ad nosium the stuff mods aprove of on here.

Nothing new and IMO nothing useful you couldn't find from RTM.

HTH

:-p

gotta love the mentality - people that don't agree with the posters opinions are either claimed to be employee's or fanboi's.

Bottom line - ATT has the decision when or even if a phone will be upgraded. No matter what THEY decide you hae the two options - hack the phone (bad option if it is a corporate phone - can get you fired) or go some place else that might have greener grass.

This "proof" that you claim, most of it is just a difference of opinion, no one can supply definate proof on why the upgrade is not out yet - so nothing can be validated. Absolutely nothing you have claimed fits any of the acceptable definitions of the word "proof" As far as moderation - take some time to actually read the terms of service for the forums and the direct responses from the moderators to you, you will find that they did not overstep their bounds at all.

Can never understand why when someone is so miserable and unhappy with the service that they actually stay around and continue to suffer when they have an option to get out of it.

Message 4 of 10
Teacher

wingrider01 wrote:

gotta love the mentality - people that don't agree with the posters opinions are either claimed to be employee's or fanboi's.

Bottom line - ATT has the decision when or even if a phone will be upgraded. No matter what THEY decide you hae the two options - hack the phone (bad option if it is a corporate phone - can get you fired) or go some place else that might have greener grass.

This "proof" that you claim, most of it is just a difference of opinion, no one can supply definate proof on why the upgrade is not out yet - so nothing can be validated. Absolutely nothing you have claimed fits any of the acceptable definitions of the word "proof" As far as moderation - take some time to actually read the terms of service for the forums and the direct responses from the moderators to you, you will find that they did not overstep their bounds at all.

Can never understand why when someone is so miserable and unhappy with the service that they actually stay around and continue to suffer when they have an option to get out of it.

I think the statement, "no one can supply definite proof on why the upgrade is not out yet" is OP's complaint - AT&T could communicate with its customers as to the likelihood of an update (or fixes for the various other issues with the Captivate) but chooses not to.

Message 5 of 10
Expert

Dogen wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I think the statement, "no one can supply definite proof on why the upgrade is not out yet" is OP's complaint - AT&T could communicate with its customers as to the likelihood of an update (or fixes for the various other issues with the Captivate) but chooses not to.

There is definately someone can but would guess that it is deemed company confidential and not available for public consumption. The way of the majority of businesses work in the world

Message 6 of 10
Teacher

But Samsung did communicate it. Over the summer they posted on their official UK Twitter feed that all Galaxy S carrier versions would have Froyo by November. Which makes the recent silence all the more conspicuous.

Message 7 of 10
Mentor

Yes, the bottom line is that ATT choses not to let people know when a release/updates are coming. There is no way that ATT does not know when something is going to happen. Samsung has to put the version out with the ATT apps and then I would imagine ATT does Quality Assurance on it.  ATT and Samsung have to be communicating.  ATT needs to know so that they can prepare Customer Service.

Anyway, now is probably not the best time to release a new version. ATT wants to keep the network usage down for regular calls and also does not want the Customer Service center bombarded with calls when many are on vacation.  They will have plenty to handle with all the news phones that people will get for Christmas.

ATT is also not in the OS business. All they care about is a phone making calls. They don't care if Adobe Flash is working, Skype is working, latest Google apps are available, etc.

In any case, I think it would benefit ATT to keep people informed. 

Message 8 of 10
Teacher

morechof wrote:

Yes, the bottom line is that ATT choses not to let people know when a release/updates are coming. There is no way that ATT does not know when something is going to happen. Samsung has to put the version out with the ATT apps and then I would imagine ATT does Quality Assurance on it.  ATT and Samsung have to be communicating.  ATT needs to know so that they can prepare Customer Service.

Anyway, now is probably not the best time to release a new version. ATT wants to keep the network usage down for regular calls and also does not want the Customer Service center bombarded with calls when many are on vacation.  They will have plenty to handle with all the news phones that people will get for Christmas.

ATT is also not in the OS business. All they care about is a phone making calls. They don't care if Adobe Flash is working, Skype is working, latest Google apps are available, etc.

In any case, I think it would benefit ATT to keep people informed. 

I agree entirely, especially on the last bit. At the very least, being more transparent about the process would lead to less confusion and frustration for customers who are interested. My only guess is that after the apparent problems with updates in Canada causing malfunctions the rollout may be on hold for a while to make sure it works - and AT&T may feel publishing a "we don't know when it will be available" would look worse than not saying anything. Either way, I'd rather know they're working on it, or Samsung is working on it, or something, than nothing.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Teacher

Is AT&T really Steve Jobs? Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support